Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

I think the asteroid part only took me two tries, but isn't it random or something so you can get hosed anyway? The box puzzle in Dead Space 3 was the real piece of poo poo.

Yep. The thing about the asteroid gun part is that the game never explains that you can alternate between barrels with your triggers, and also sometimes the random pattern of the asteroids means you just lose because the gun can't track between where they're coming from in time. It's rare, but it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Battlefield 1 has a pretty decent flamethrower. Enemies will usually run away and act like it's a flamethrower too. Worst part is the lovely mask they make you wear, which is also an issue with the gas masks in the game. I understand it's for balance reasons but it drags the game down for me if there is poo poo obscuring the screen.

Like in Fallout 4 with the power armor changing the UI

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I'm assuming everyone who complains about the asteroid part in Dead Space was playing it on console. Even before I figured out how to fix the v-sync input delay bug it was still no problem at all with mouse aiming.

The asteroids were randomised, and if you were unlucky with the rng you could get an unwinnable set. Next attempt has the same odds of being unbeatable as the first. I got past it on console in I think two attempts, but it's not really surprising a decent number of people didn't. Even if it had been the easiest thing in the world, it would still be something dragging the game down, it was an unfun section that didn't really feel like it belonged in the game. It didn't line up particularly with the rest of dead spaces gameplay, it didn't contribute to the atmosphere of the story, no one was buying the game for the dated rock shooting sections.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I didn't find it that bad to get past but it was a nightmare to get the trophy for. When I'd finished the game I saw the plasma-cutter only trophy and thought it sounded really fun and there was only a small few other trophies so I figured I'd get them on the way and plat my first game. loving hell that was torturous.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

SiKboy posted:

The asteroids were randomised, and if you were unlucky with the rng you could get an unwinnable set. Next attempt has the same odds of being unbeatable as the first. I got past it on console in I think two attempts, but it's not really surprising a decent number of people didn't. Even if it had been the easiest thing in the world, it would still be something dragging the game down, it was an unfun section that didn't really feel like it belonged in the game. It didn't line up particularly with the rest of dead spaces gameplay, it didn't contribute to the atmosphere of the story, no one was buying the game for the dated rock shooting sections.

Yeah it's certainly not any fun, then to make things worse they bring the mechanic back later on for a boss battle which is equally boring. It just confused me for a while when the game came out and there were people saying it was an impassable brick wall of difficulty for them when I got through it without any trouble.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yeah it's certainly not any fun, then to make things worse they bring the mechanic back later on for a boss battle which is equally boring. It just confused me for a while when the game came out and there were people saying it was an impassable brick wall of difficulty for them when I got through it without any trouble.

I play games for fun. After four tries, I was like "nope, I've got other games I can play."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda a crosspost, since I bitched about this in the Skylines thread: another thing that (by design) bothers me about the city-building genre is that there inevitably comes a point where mass transit comes into its own as a mandatory thing, and I can't recall a game in the genre that has reduced the pain of adding that to your existing city.

It's like, okay, you now have the ability to put down (6/8) types of things, which you'll probably need a bunch of them to deal with the traffic that is clogging your city. If we're being really nice, we'll give you a tool to get a macro-level view of where the virtual beings in this down are generally starting from and where they are going. But maybe we're not going to be that nice, so at best we'll give you something that lets you know that people are just kinda randomly faffing about. Oh, and all the new stuff doesn't just slot in to your existing network of roads and buildings, no, it takes up space. So your options are generally rework everything, or settle for a chunk of your city that has terrible traffic because it was plopped down before there were this path or this system came around.

I'm getting resigned to the fact that the only real Simcity game I genuinely love to play is Societies. It got rid of both excel sheets of traffic and economy, and actually just lets you design cities.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mierenneuker posted:

Flamethrowers tend to suffer from shotgun syndrome, as in a lot of games make it a short range weapon. It's a freakin' flameTHROWER, not a welding torch.

One game that gets both right: Killing Floor 1/2.

You can light dudes up across the room by adjusting for the arc of the flame thrower, just like you can sorta snipe with the shotgun as long as you know the average spread pattern.

2 even has a fire shotgun you can set dudes on fire from even further

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Kinda a crosspost, since I bitched about this in the Skylines thread: another thing that (by design) bothers me about the city-building genre is that there inevitably comes a point where mass transit comes into its own as a mandatory thing, and I can't recall a game in the genre that has reduced the pain of adding that to your existing city.

It's like, okay, you now have the ability to put down (6/8) types of things, which you'll probably need a bunch of them to deal with the traffic that is clogging your city. If we're being really nice, we'll give you a tool to get a macro-level view of where the virtual beings in this down are generally starting from and where they are going. But maybe we're not going to be that nice, so at best we'll give you something that lets you know that people are just kinda randomly faffing about. Oh, and all the new stuff doesn't just slot in to your existing network of roads and buildings, no, it takes up space. So your options are generally rework everything, or settle for a chunk of your city that has terrible traffic because it was plopped down before there were this path or this system came around.

I'm getting resigned to the fact that the only real Simcity game I genuinely love to play is Societies. It got rid of both excel sheets of traffic and economy, and actually just lets you design cities.

This is exactly what happens with mass transit in the real world, so...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Brain In A Jar posted:

This is exactly what happens with mass transit in the real world, so...

... it'd be a lot more fun if we could prevent it in games. :colbert:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

Battlefield 1 has a pretty decent flamethrower. Enemies will usually run away and act like it's a flamethrower too. Worst part is the lovely mask they make you wear, which is also an issue with the gas masks in the game. I understand it's for balance reasons but it drags the game down for me if there is poo poo obscuring the screen.

Like in Fallout 4 with the power armor changing the UI

What turned me off from BF1 multiplayer was the gas mask. Were you a scout or medic? You're hosed, you got vision obscuring gas grenades getting chucked everywhere and you can either choose to not wear the mask and have to run off or wear the mask and enjoy your single shot weapon being so inaccurate. Meanwhile assaults have their mask on 24/7 chucking said nades and hipfiring their autos/shotguns no problem. I would mention support and how they can resupply grenades but its been changed so resupplies don't resupply grenades. No, now a grenade just magically appears in your pocket 30 seconds (last time I checked, which was a very long time ago) after tossing one. So go ahead, chuck that gas grenade and sprint on in brave assault player. Any medics or scouts are hosed as you hose them down with your smg while their single shot weapons dance around you cause their hipfire is such poo poo. You can do it all again in 30 seconds.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Phantom Pain: Silencers detereorating is the dumbest thing. I could accept it in 3, maybe the russians got some really lovely tech but at this point where we got freaking iPhones iDroids, they still can't make a decent supressor? It gets even more asinine because I can clear an entire outpost with one, then call a supply drop and get a refill. Why even bother including this feature if all it does is annoy the player?

I hope there'll be some silencer upgrades I can develop to make this less bothersome.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Samuringa posted:

Phantom Pain: Silencers detereorating is the dumbest thing. I could accept it in 3, maybe the russians got some really lovely tech but at this point where we got freaking iPhones iDroids, they still can't make a decent supressor? It gets even more asinine because I can clear an entire outpost with one, then call a supply drop and get a refill. Why even bother including this feature if all it does is annoy the player?

I hope there'll be some silencer upgrades I can develop to make this less bothersome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHfOejlvVsY

it's a high-tier upgrade

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the flamethrowers in Turok 2: Seeds of Evil and Killzone 2 were both pretty good. They had decent range to them, but also operated as liquid streams of fire rather than weird gaseous puffs of pixels. It wasn't so important in Turok, since there were no cover mechanics, but it was great in Killzone because you could arc the stream of flames over cover to gently caress up any Helghast hidden behind them.

The flamethrower in Turok 2 was great for clearing rooms with swarms of smaller enemies too since they basically evaporated when hit by it. less effective on larger enemies, but it still did solid damage.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So space fights in No Man's Sky are kind of poo poo. Your ship handles like a roomba and is about half as durable and the enemies just kind of zoom around shooting at you. It's super easy to lose track of them if you turn or move at all because it's space, there's a whole lot of it. Most of your guns also have poo poo all for range. Most fights either end stupidly fast because the enemy just rushes at you and they die to your like seven guns, or they spend the whole fight looping around you and you barely survive. It's not very interesting and I try to avoid it.

Also it's kind of lame I can't buy like 90% of crafting materials. Game, I've literally never seen a cactus despite almost every planet I've landed on being a hellish wasteland. Why is this one thing that needs a cactus just deadlocking my progress?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Christ, please Cities: Skylines, steal from Planet Coaster and give me a tool that lets me point at two highway sections and say "build whatever you want to make these things connect", because I've spent an hour or so trying to figure out how to connect the existing highway system to my city, and I've got nothing to show for it. Or let me build both directions of a highway simulteanously as a single road, so that I don't discover after building a nice one-way that the clipping won't tolerate an equal road going the other way.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Samuringa posted:

Real thing dragging Phantom Pain down is why the gently caress would anyone do a mission during the day time? It's bullshit. "Hey I can see you from a mile away gently caress face."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Samuringa posted:

Do they? I thought they were just things you stuck on your gun and suddenly everything was quiet. And if you could do the gun glitch you could slap it on a grenade or rocket launcher for silent explosions which is exactly as hilarious as it sounds.

kazil posted:

Real thing dragging Phantom Pain down is why the gently caress would anyone do a mission during the day time? It's bullshit. "Hey I can see you from a mile away gently caress face."

The real problem is why would anyone not use the dog as their partner. You think that guy spotted you from a mile away? Dog already saw him two miles away and now he's dead.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

kazil posted:

There is no difficulty slider. You can either get dropped off with minimal gear and procure on site remembering the basics of CQC and fulton fools up no matter if it's day or night, or you can play the bitch rear end helicopter taxi simulator which brings me to my next point

Nuebot posted:

The real problem is why would anyone not use the dog as their partner. You think that guy spotted you from a mile away? Dog already saw him two miles away and now he's dead.

You can't ride that dog, and that dog has limited bark up range. Scout poo poo up and it stays marked, do your stuff and then while running away, whistle on your horse which comes running alongside you so you can jump on it mid gallop.

You're both rookies not even worth fultoning.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Vic posted:

You can't ride that dog, and that dog has limited bark up range. Scout poo poo up and it stays marked, do your stuff and then while running away, whistle on your horse which comes running alongside you so you can jump on it mid gallop.

You're both rookies not even worth fultoning.

Why would I want to ride the dog when I can pet him instead? The only use I had for the horse was to park it in front of tanks in that one convoy tank mission so I could go fulton all of the tanks when they stopped because there was a horse on the road. Also no need to ride a horse when you can just steal a jeep and ride it anywhere.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Nuebot posted:

Why would I want to ride the dog when I can pet him instead? The only use I had for the horse was to park it in front of tanks in that one convoy tank mission so I could go fulton all of the tanks when they stopped because there was a horse on the road. Also no need to ride a horse when you can just steal a jeep and ride it anywhere.

Your jeep can't jump over obstacles, turn 180 quickly, traverse narrow moutainous terrain, nor you can summon it by whistling to, again, come running alongside you so you can jump on it mid gallop.

I love dd but she's a Disability Assistance Dog

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I didn't really play MGSV as an open world game after awhile, I used d-dog pretty much constantly as traveling across map wasn't typically required.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Vic posted:

Your jeep can't jump over obstacles, turn 180 quickly, traverse narrow moutainous terrain, nor you can summon it by whistling to, again, come running alongside you so you can jump on it mid gallop.

I love dd but she's a Disability Assistance Dog

Turning back is for people who can't let go of the past. Always look ahead at the future.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Look at all you guys still shooting people by yourself. Just lol if you don't chill back and have Enrique Quiet murder everyone for you so you can then stroll through the mountain of corpses and pick up what you need.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The environmental take-downs in Sleeping Dogs are so loving brutal that it makes it really weird that the Triads suspect me of being a cop because I haven't killed anybody after I literally smashed someone's head through an electronic speaker and slashed a dude with a meat cleaver 20 times. Also the game's weird insistence that guns are the only way to kill somebody.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The environmental take-downs in Sleeping Dogs are so loving brutal that it makes it really weird that the Triads suspect me of being a cop because I haven't killed anybody after I literally smashed someone's head through an electronic speaker and slashed a dude with a meat cleaver 20 times. Also the game's weird insistence that guns are the only way to kill somebody.

In the dock warehouse bit isn't there an environmental where you straight up impale someone with swordfish noses too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

In the dock warehouse bit isn't there an environmental where you straight up impale someone with swordfish noses too.

I think that's a boss fight? My absolute favorite environmental kill is still the air conditioning units. You just grab a guy and smash his head through the case into the fan below. It's also one of the first ones you have a chance to do after the scripted tutorial fight so that's a fun introduction to how the game's going to go from here on out.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
> using buddies during missions
> not having water pistol as your only weapon

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yardbomb posted:

And stick a guy into a furnace until he's charred.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
You can drop an engine block on a guy and smash him like a watermelon in the mission where you're stealing watches with your buddy. The same mission where you can use an electric lock grinder on people's skins and faces.

Not to mention that throwing people towards fatally high up falls will make Wei just shove them over the railing, so that's another definite kill.

Man, the plot of SD absolutely didn't live up to the gameplay. I couldn't remember who anyone was, except the man himself Old Salty Crab.

Also the fight where you're hurt and can only counter instead of punch is so dumb; You can't throw a right hook but you can twist a guy's arm up over his head and kick him away like he's full of sawdust.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

"We used to have a guy just like you. Reeeeaaaall good with his fists. Just like you. Never killed nobody. Turned out he was a cop. That's why he couldn't kill people. Say, new guy, noticed you haven't killed nobody neither." sneered the Triad as I ran over my third pedestrian on this one loving trip

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016
The best flamethrower I ever saw was in Syndicate (the original, not the God awful FPS). It fired a huge column of flame, and anyone who touched it would dance around screaming for a few seconds and then die. Even cars exploded when hit.

Downside was that you couldn't collect dropped equipment from anyone who burned to death, which meant you couldn't boost your research projects by stealing stuff. Still, I did occasionally keep one in case things went sideways. Just hide around a corner and melt everybody coming after you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

"We used to have a guy just like you. Reeeeaaaall good with his fists. Just like you. Never killed nobody. Turned out he was a cop. That's why he couldn't kill people. Say, new guy, noticed you haven't killed nobody neither." sneered the Triad as I ran over my third pedestrian on this one loving trip

I always find that logic really annoying, because a lot of times the characters in those sorts of organised crime gangs at least try to pretend that they aren't complete piles of garbage - then they get pissy when the main character isn't randomly killing people for no reason. It's like, maybe the reason he isn't killing everyone isn't because he's a cop, maybe you're just a lovely person jumping to a flimsy conclusion because you somehow are surprised that you have trust issues when you surround yourself intentionally with untrustworthy people.

Honestly I think the only character that doesn't fall into that trap is Broken Nose Jiang. She knows at the end of the game that Wei is a cop, but orders him and his associates left alone, largely because of him doing her a huge favour getting the other Red Poles out of the way, although it would be hilarious if she had to call him in as a cop because of some random crime happening to her that isn't worth the manpower it would cost to pursue, like some rando breaks into her house when she's out, and she ends up calling 999.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Aug 26, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I always find that logic really annoying, because a lot of times the characters in those sorts of organised crime gangs at least try to pretend that they aren't complete piles of garbage - then they get pissy when the main character isn't randomly killing people for no reason. It's like, maybe the reason he isn't killing everyone isn't because he's a cop, maybe you're just a lovely person jumping to a flimsy conclusion because you somehow are surprised that you have trust issues when you surround yourself intentionally with untrustworthy people.

They always complain about my lovely driving too. Every open-world crime game running a red-light is worse than murder to your compatriots. And then they make me drive anyway. Either get behind the wheel or shut-up.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Aug 26, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

"You'd better have shot someone before the end of this mission!"
"Ok, gimme a gun."
"No."
:downsbravo:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"I impaled that guy on a SWORDFISH! Is that not enough for you!?"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BioEnchanted posted:

"I impaled that guy on a SWORDFISH! Is that not enough for you!?"

That's standard procedure in the HKPF. Dead giveaway.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

As an American I always get a little culture shock in Sleeping Dogs. You drive on the other side of the road, there's pedestrian-only streets everywhere, shooting someone is considered proof you ARE'NT a cop.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tip Shades posted:

The best flamethrower I ever saw was in Syndicate (the original, not the God awful FPS). It fired a huge column of flame, and anyone who touched it would dance around screaming for a few seconds and then die. Even cars exploded when hit.

Downside was that you couldn't collect dropped equipment from anyone who burned to death, which meant you couldn't boost your research projects by stealing stuff. Still, I did occasionally keep one in case things went sideways. Just hide around a corner and melt everybody coming after you.

The fps was fine until it stopped being about being a jackbooted thug of a cyberpunk megacorp and you started fighting the power to topple the megacorp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Len posted:

The fps was fine until it stopped being about being a jackbooted thug of a cyberpunk megacorp and you started fighting the power to topple the megacorp.

Those few years where it was mandated by law that your allies had to turn on you in the final act of every game, no matter how poorly thought-out or needlessly sudden the heel-turn was, were really tiresome.