Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TTerrible posted:

I feel like I've missed an episode somewhere. Was there any previous hint before the finale that two was infected?

No, but I assume the Ferris Corp lady infected her after they were captured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Never mind

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You were very close. Alicia Reynaud(business lady) was her mom.

Not quite, she was just the adoptive mom of the sister.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No, but I assume the Ferris Corp lady infected her after they were captured.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious from the Ferris Corps woman showing her infected eyes and smiling as they escape that it was her doing.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, it's pretty obvious from the Ferris Corps woman showing her infected eyes and smiling as they escape that it was her doing.

Right, I think this is what I missed. I don't remember that scene at all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the finale had a problem with too many moving parts.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

TTerrible posted:

I feel like I've missed an episode somewhere. Was there any previous hint before the finale that two was infected?

Not as far as I recall. It was implied the officer lookng at the blink drive on the space station infected two (why she asked the guard to leave her and two alone).

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

muscles like this! posted:

I think the finale had a problem with too many moving parts.

yeah 3's parting with alt 2 was basically "I love you bye bye". :p

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

It was hilarious how casually and immediately they wrapped up that concern.

"We're here to rescue our friend... but we have to blow up the station for the greater good!"
*space phone rings*
"Hey guys, it's your friend. Just calling to let you know that I'm definitely off the station now. Bye."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Everything with 3 was awkward since he didn't have a reason to go and they didn't give him a reason and then even brought up that he didn't have a reason to tag along.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Everything with 3 was awkward since he didn't have a reason to go and they didn't give him a reason and then even brought up that he didn't have a reason to tag along.

Three's wiggy alien senses were tingling! Which actually would have been a pretty good excuse if they made his insistence a little stronger and weird.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like this show but I can't believe the finale of this season was entirely hinging on me remembering some random plot that was dropped in season 2. This show feels like it's written by someone who just wants to write about a bunch of characters hanging out and doing things. Every once in a while, the boss pops in and says "Hey, don't forget about that corporation war plot that I wanted. Oh yeah, and the big boss said he wants some kind of alien."

I finally found out what episode the alien stuff is from (S02E09) so I could see if I just missed something obvious that would come up later. Nope, Wesley had a big box of goop for some reason, and he exposed 3 to it for some reason, then the goop learns about the blink drive I think, and then the goop wants out, and then it goes into space and leaves. I don't remember it ever coming back up until 3 gets the heebie jeebies from that station. Maybe I'm just a stupid TV watcher, but they seriously needed to wink wink nudge nudge a little bit more than someone's eyes filling up with black to hark back to something I thought was a random B plot and had already forgotten. Maybe they should have devoted a few minutes to wondering why Wesley even had that stuff in the first place. Unless they did and it felt like another throwaway scene and I forgot it.

This show just melts my brain sometimes. I think I'm following along and I'm remembering what I think is the overall plot. Then the show is all "Nah, that wasn't the plot, the plot is that 30 second scene from three episodes ago, it's a big deal now." All the important bits we need to know are happening off screen.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The show runner says he has had 5 seasons planned out from the beginning. I think you now have enough information to decide if he is full of poo poo.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The writers seem to have a plan, they're just very bad at setting it up. All the episodes that clearly lay out future plot points, i.e. the robot revolution, the black oil aliens and Ryo rejoining the Raza with a Zairon fleet are all in the back end of the season.

They put too much emphasis on the corporate war when it was supposed to be the lead-in to the alien invasion in the season finale, and they decided to drag out the Zairon politics subplot until the end, when it would have been better to cut it off earlier. There were also a few episodes (like the time travel episode) that just spun the wheels even if it was great.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
It would also have been nice to know who is now actually sitting on the Zairon throne?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The corporate war makes sense from an aliens are invading standpoint because if you've replaced a bunch of the higher ups and embroil them in a giant conflict that just makes it all the easier since everybody is already exhausted and out of supplies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Party Plane Jones posted:

The corporate war makes sense from an aliens are invading standpoint because if you've replaced a bunch of the higher ups and embroil them in a giant conflict that just makes it all the easier since everybody is already exhausted and out of supplies.

They also dragged in assets from multiple corporations into a single location where they've now eliminated all of them in one fell swoop. Ferrous Corps just lost their shipyard, the Zairon Loyalists lost a few capital ships, and Meikkei lost a half-dozen ships they can't afford to lose. Nevermind the infighting on a dozen other fronts eroding resources for everyone. Everyone is now in deep poo poo, considering the sheer scale of the Black Ships (nevermind the potential tech level) compared to theirs.

Plus the Blink Drive's either destroyed, or AWOL (if Roger Cross is back).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They had two blink drives, one working, one not.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Plus the Blink Drive's either destroyed, or AWOL (if Roger Cross is back).

Probably AWOL considering that A: No death build-up at all, and B: The whole paradox thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did they ever explain how the blink drive works? Since they were able to blink into a station without causing a massive air pressure spike, I would think it swaps the ship with whatever is at the destination. Would be cool if 2 set the coordinates to swap in the alien ships when getting rid of the shipyard. It's probably something stupid like "when the blink drive went off, the energy opened a rift that let the aliens in" or something.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't know, I don't find the story difficult at all. The finale was good enough, lots of cliffhangers but I feel confident there will be another season so no worries. The space battle was pretty good, wish it had lasted longer but that was probably a good chunk of their budget. If we are going to see all that Android future stuff, they need to pick up the pace.

As for the blink drive, I hope they never try to explain it. That's the worst thing you can do is try to explain fantasy tech.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

wormil posted:

I don't know, I don't find the story difficult at all. The finale was good enough, lots of cliffhangers but I feel confident there will be another season so no worries. The space battle was pretty good, wish it had lasted longer but that was probably a good chunk of their budget. If we are going to see all that Android future stuff, they need to pick up the pace.

As for the blink drive, I hope they never try to explain it. That's the worst thing you can do is try to explain fantasy tech.

The blink drive is fine as a Macguffin tech thing. It magic'd ships to far flung destinations instantly, magic'd a ship into another dimension, magic'd a station into a collapsing bubble universe, magic'd a ship to the past, then magic'd a hole to the end of time in a different dimension to let in an invading army of body snatching squid aliens.

If anything, it is refreshing to see an instantaneous transfer machine be used in all the ways it could be used, instead of pretending that some near infinitely powerful thing can only do one trick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

wormil posted:

I don't care for a scientific explanation, I doubt there ever could be. I'd just like a generic idea what it does .

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

Did they ever explain how the blink drive works? Since they were able to blink into a station without causing a massive air pressure spike, I would think it swaps the ship with whatever is at the destination. Would be cool if 2 set the coordinates to swap in the alien ships when getting rid of the shipyard. It's probably something stupid like "when the blink drive went off, the energy opened a rift that let the aliens in" or something.

Yup, it's a wormhole drive. Same as a BSG Jump Drive; tear a hole between Point A and Point B, get sucked through. Time travel and parallel universes are targeting issues.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well this loving sucks. The ratings were pretty drat good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I didn't see that coming. Apparently it slipped in the ratings this season although it still has more viewers than half the top syfy shows so I'm not really clear on how that works. More people watch it so we're going to cancel it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TTerrible posted:

Joseph Mallozi also blogged about his grand plans for Stargate Atlantis Season 6 and the Atlantis movie :v:

This does suck though. It was getting pretty good. OH well!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'll just assume the aliens came in and killed everyone. The End.

I wonder if they will cancel Killjoys too?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'll just assume the aliens came in and killed everyone. The End.

I wonder if they will cancel Killjoys too?

I have a feeling they wanted to pick one of those to keep and it ended up being Killjoys.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GreenNight posted:

I have a feeling they wanted to pick one of those to keep and it ended up being Killjoys.

Yea could be. Though you would think they would pick the one with better ratings. :shrug:

I hope they don't end up cancelling Killjoys now

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah killjoys has been in the bottom of the ratings for two seasons.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Strange, guess even SYFY didn't believe they had a five year plan.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That really sucks, but it goes to show, get to the point. Don't spend 3 seasons meandering around before finally having some big plot revelation at the end of the third season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope they don't end up cancelling Killjoys now

Nope, they just got two more seasons! With a planned end at season 5.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Nope, they just got two more seasons! With a planned end at season 5.

There you go.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dark Matter got cancelled because it doesn't have a fabulous warlord.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

GreenNight posted:

maybe killjoys is cheaper to make?
they're aesthetically similar enough that I'd expect em to cost more or less the same (and enable em to double up on a lot of assets), but who knows.

anyhoo, syfy has been optioning properties like crazy for the past few years
maybe they wanted to clear out room/resources/funds for a second big-budget adaptation to go alongside The Expanse

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 2, 2017

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It kinda sucks cause it was finally starting to get good but really ill probably forget about the show within a month.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
What the gently caress is wrong with Syfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

From what I can tell Dark Matter is directly distributed by Syfy while Killjoys is distributed by Universal Cable. So Killjoys probably costs them less money.

• Locked thread