Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

EminusSleepus posted:

you need to expand, checkout the guy in the green shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fargin Icehole posted:

Well I wouldn't say stable

direct comparisons though, yeah, I cannot believe they still haven't fixed the launcher or have an actual patching system in place. Basic level poo poo.

It might be considered a little stable in how it's full of horse droppings

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Sorry goons, the Gamescom sale is quite lucrative so far.

The Gamescom 2016 sale didn't have much of an initial surge, but benefited from days of publicity which presumably brought in cash from outside the hardcore whalebase. If we look at a time-aligned plot out to 200 hours, we can see how Gamescom 2016 does not follow the typical pattern of a whale-driven sale.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

oh poo poo son

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What's his reddit handle?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 26, 2017

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Colostomy Bag posted:

My money is on Gremlich. I mean, just LOOK at him.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

You need a Platinum Account to view this message

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Xaerael posted:

My money is on Gremlich. I mean, just LOOK at him.

no that's not the gremlich

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

willem dafoe will always be gren gobberlin to me

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
posting on page 2000

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
gently caress

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

isn't that the 40 thousand dollar man clifford sans beard?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

posting like it's 1999

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
It's my gimmick :smug:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

a smile like that makes me want to call the cops

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Quavers posted:

Yesterday's was the best Star Citizen stream ever.

A whirlpool of stunning graphics, ship sales, massive open world, vision, incompetence, panic, disaster, hilarity, tension, stupid fun, pointless gimmicks, jank, instability, and despair. The only thing missing was tickling but i expect that to be added using some groundbreaking tech.

Star Citizen is cool and good, and I'm glad of it. Please keep pledging so this shitshow can last forever.

Plus some deep voiced Goon reading out Stimpire.txt on Discord. Yesterday had it all

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

all in all, the super mario bro live action movie is a far superior film than the wing commander live action movie

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

posting to page 2000. Something big is going to happen there. 2 WEEKS

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

a smile like that makes me want to call the cops

/u/CradleRobin

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

No it was hosed up. Like impressively hosed up with bizarre spikes shooting around of the ground

I honest to god think those were intentional. They didn't blend into the terrain like they were part of the height map, so I think they were some sort of decoration doodad deliberately placed in the terrain. If so :10bux: says it was Crobberts who demanded them.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Page 1999, the year one of the best space games ever came out

The Answer is Freespace 2

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hasn't Elite got weird spikes in the ground?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

boviscopophobic posted:

Sorry goons, the Gamescom sale is quite lucrative so far.

The Gamescom 2016 sale didn't have much of an initial surge, but benefited from days of publicity which presumably brought in cash from outside the hardcore whalebase. If we look at a time-aligned plot out to 200 hours, we can see how Gamescom 2016 does not follow the typical pattern of a whale-driven sale.

yesssss, keep funding this forever you dumb fuckers

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Looks like I've found the Pretty drat Good Space Sim Ever to play while I wait for the BDSSE.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SelenicMartian posted:

Hasn't Elite got weird spikes in the ground?

Yep, they're not procgen either.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

:ducksiren:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
2k pages, lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
gently caress.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I said, 2k pages, lol.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rj4ca3ovecjvh90/discord%20recording.mp3?dl=0
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6SB-B1cyoLbY3gxTWI2bU5FUjA/view?usp=sharing backup
here is the recording of discord voice chat, unfortunately i forgot to record my own voice. It causes some long pauses during the recording. i ran out of phone battery so i lost last half hour on that recording
basically its a alpha 3.0 recording

15min show start
3h 25min aftershow chat starts

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 26, 2017

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Soooooooooo after the most legendary "catched up with the thread" struggle of ages, I have finally returned, hello friends.

What I should post first has been quite an interesting question, but luckily it was answered for me with yesterday's presentation disaster.

I won't post about how the idris looks like a joke even compared to the morrow tour, I won't post about "The ramp" and I won't post about the atmospheric flight being an abomination that everyone with a bit of understanding of high school physics could have seen long ago when calculating the acceleration reserves of the ships.

I won't even post about the hilarious face cap technology that will never work over networking...

What I decided to comment on is much smaller and much more telling about CIGs way of thinking in my opinion. The buggy. Well not exactly buggy but that 6 wheeled Apc they archered from Alien 2.

We all know that cry engine has a class for vehicles with okay-ish functionality. Indeed they used that for the grey cat for example (that buggy thing for the hangar)
But that's not what the APC or any of the levitation vehicles run on.

Now before we go into what these new fidelitious star citizen vehicles run on, we should go into how stuff like wheeled or tracked vehicles actually work and how they are simulated in video games. Because that's quite the ample topic with many possible handwaving I'll just break it down to the absolute core. The MVP for driving so to speak. That's the chassis and suspension technology. No matter if you use engines, rockets, muscle force or horses, the suspension and chassis setup and/or its simulation is the critical factor for driving behavior in real life and accuracy of a simulated system in virtual worlds.

In real life, a chassis is a volumetric elastic body with varying mass and varying center of gravity. In real life, suspensions are made of several linear and non linear elastic components, all with non linear dampening characteristics. Depending on the suspension type, you have a non linear varying roll axis, pitch axis and yaw axis, as well as non linear movement of the wheel, resulting in changes of camber, caster and the like.We can simulate them to a highly accurate degree virtually, but that takes days of calculations for a single second of run time.

In video games and especially racing simulations, a few general short cuts are taken.

The chassis is at least a volumetric rigid body with a set mass.

The suspension per wheel is an ideal spring and dampener at least. The suspension geometry is rigid. There is almost always a change of camber and caster and they often influence the force that can be transmitted by the tire. Most games, even simple driving models, simulate anti roll bars. All simulate pitch and roll of the chassis as a result of the mechanical forces on the elastic suspension during dynamic driving.

In short, although a simpler mechanic, all driving simulations from GTA over flat out to asetto corsa have in common that they use a mechanical model with clearly defined mechanical parameters and apply forces to it to simulate a realistic behavior of the chassis under dynamic driving. The behavior here is the result of the mechanics. This is important.

Now for star citizen.
As I said cry engine has a little package for simple vehicles like the grey cat which is a rudimentary mechanical driving model. But the apc had nothing to do with it. What the apc does is it completely splits the chassis from the wheels. The chassis runs on it's own behavior and the wheels have an independent code to "look like they guide it on the surface"
This becomes very clear when you look at what the chassis does when the vehicle runs over an obstacle for example. It does something no chassis of a wheeled vehicle ever does in real life or simulation. It stays still. There is a ton more indicators for this lack of actual mechanical connection between the wheels and the chassis too, like the lack of harmonics, the lack of feedback into the chassis etc. But the most telling thing is really that the chassis doesn't care if a wheel is fully compressing it's suspension.

I asked myself what would result in such behavior and what keeps the chassis in it's vertical position and the answer is as disappointing as funny. It's the same IFCS monstrosity that keeps the ships and the hover vehicles going.

IFCS is a strictly high order system. This means it doesn't care for details like mechanical parameters. You tell the ifcs "how something moves" not what keeps it moving that way. This means the entire mechanical simulation is floating. It's parameters don't matter. What matters is how you envision something to look like and the IFCS will use whatever it has available to achieve that movement pattern. This means that a spring might force 10 kilonewton between its ends at a certain compression, but when it gets compressed more it suddenly goes down to 0.1 kilonewton. This behavior is impossible for a spring, it goes against what a mechanical spring would ever do. But it is what the IFCS tells the spring to do in order to achieve a certain movement pattern.
This focus on the movement instead of mechanics is very similar to how a drone like a quadrocopter works, or a robotic arm. This kind of aproach to a full on vehicle simulation though, apart from the very strictly limited realm of zero G spaceflight, will always result in nightmarish and unsatisfying driving and flight behavior.

This use of a high order IFCS system is why the chassis doesn't give anything about the position of the individual wheel. And this is why the Rover can just gtfo into low earth orbit occasionally like the nox does when something goes haywire.

But you have to understand what this means for a gameplay versus cinematic design side. For gameplay, this is disastrous. It means that the player is unabled to predict what a vehicle is gonna do because we humans don't have a feeling for movement parameters, we have a feeling for repeatable mechanics. At the same time it's a blessing to the cinematics, because you can now go and tell a live simulation of a vehicle "how to look like" instead of going the route of actually finding a mechanical tune to support that visual appeal (which is likely impossible, because what looks good usually doesn't drive good) and now that you read this about the vehicle suspension, you should all take a good look at the ships landing gear too.

This whole train of thought behind this system, the tons of work that must have went into it and the horror that this system made it through a whole 400+ employees company without anyone of the "experienced game designers" asking "why the gently caress are we doing this instead of using something that works guaranteed and is easy to do" is what's the most telling about this whole project.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
2000 pages, still no game.
Here's to 2000 more!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Never Forget...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
A good game from year 2000 for page 2000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itnXy-jKwYY

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Here's to another 5 years of this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

flush this turd imo