Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

How does it help the immersion if like 1% of commandos have the face tracking webcam and everyone else is running around stonefaced? Did they think this through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i can assure you crobblers did not think any of this through

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Bubbacub posted:

How does it help the immersion if like 1% of commandos have the face tracking webcam and everyone else is running around stonefaced? Did they think this through?

But you know all that facial data is being sent to everyone.

Its a gimmick because they have nothing, nothing more.

You even have citizens starting to say its never meant to be a game but just a sandbox of cutting edge gamedev features for others to build off of.

roflingstones
May 19, 2009

Quavers posted:

A good game from year 2000 for page 2000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itnXy-jKwYY

game owns HARD

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Quavers posted:

A good game from year 2000 for page 2000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itnXy-jKwYY

Oh poo poo just remembered that this is for sale on GOG (retitled as "Emergence")

Also nice to see that Hellblade is currently the #4 bestseller there :3:

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

WE NEED MORE

In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

For $40 you can get two top-quality computer games that you can play for real. Imagine that.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

battlefield 2000 ad

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
star citizen 2001

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The pursuit of this "feature" is the sort of thing than can seriously derail a normal game's development since it's pouring resources into something that adds nothing to the game.

But since there's in fact no game and development is a farcical lie continuously told in order to extract money from the gullible, this unveiling can only be good for SC.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
welp

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
test

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Can't wait for both the female character models and the webcam to be released. We'll get to see endless variations of creepface.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So, Bush just won via electoral college. I hope next year will be better

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
!raffle

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

We are truly living in the 2000th stimpire

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
my god i have commandos telling me that cig now owns faceware and will make a ton of money selling this groundbreaking foip tech to other publishers

the delusions know no end

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Archering a catte to post on a round numbered page.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Chris Roberts cares more about facial capture than gameplay in a game where players wear helmets most of the time.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 26, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What a time to be alive.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chris Roberts cares more about facial capture than gameplay in a game where players wear helmets most of the time.

For some reason I never thought of this.

Also, the facial captures they did on that stream seriously remind me of those youtube poops on mass effect

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 26, 2017

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also, noticed how the helmet flashlight had to be equipped at all times lol.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 26, 2017

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

In before 2001. Although 2001 is cool too.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Bubbacub posted:

The only thought crobbers had about this is this: "I can sell this "

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just caught up on he presentation

Lol

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

I can't believe Chris had the loving gall to throw a jpeg ad in when the pilot crashed in the presentation.

Also, just got to the point where they talk about their partnership with another company to make a webcam, because that's never backfired in the past for CIG.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Also best part of the presentation so far was the dude firing a railgun at the Cutlass, clearly missing, and the Cutlass exploding anyway, to the roar of approval from the crowd.

[EDIT] also I just remembered that at the start of this Chris basically dumped on Skyrim to show how big Delamar is. Stay classy, Chris.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Latin Pheonix posted:

Also best part of the presentation so far was the dude firing a railgun at the Cutlass, clearly missing, and the Cutlass exploding anyway, to the roar of approval from the crowd.

The Cutlass teleporting was awesome

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't wait for the community effort to salvage Star Citizen assets into a functional game after this is all over

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

I can't wait for the community effort to salvage Star Citizen assets into a functional game after this is all over

zybourne citizen

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Combat Theory posted:

Soooooooooo after the most legendary "catched up with the thread" struggle of ages, I have finally returned, hello friends.

What I should post first has been quite an interesting question, but luckily it was answered for me with yesterday's presentation disaster.

I won't post about how the idris looks like a joke even compared to the morrow tour, I won't post about "The ramp" and I won't post about the atmospheric flight being an abomination that everyone with a bit of understanding of high school physics could have seen long ago when calculating the acceleration reserves of the ships.

I won't even post about the hilarious face cap technology that will never work over networking...

What I decided to comment on is much smaller and much more telling about CIGs way of thinking in my opinion. The buggy. Well not exactly buggy but that 6 wheeled Apc they archered from Alien 2.

We all know that cry engine has a class for vehicles with okay-ish functionality. Indeed they used that for the grey cat for example (that buggy thing for the hangar)
But that's not what the APC or any of the levitation vehicles run on.

Now before we go into what these new fidelitious star citizen vehicles run on, we should go into how stuff like wheeled or tracked vehicles actually work and how they are simulated in video games. Because that's quite the ample topic with many possible handwaving I'll just break it down to the absolute core. The MVP for driving so to speak. That's the chassis and suspension technology. No matter if you use engines, rockets, muscle force or horses, the suspension and chassis setup and/or its simulation is the critical factor for driving behavior in real life and accuracy of a simulated system in virtual worlds.

In real life, a chassis is a volumetric elastic body with varying mass and varying center of gravity. In real life, suspensions are made of several linear and non linear elastic components, all with non linear dampening characteristics. Depending on the suspension type, you have a non linear varying roll axis, pitch axis and yaw axis, as well as non linear movement of the wheel, resulting in changes of camber, caster and the like.We can simulate them to a highly accurate degree virtually, but that takes days of calculations for a single second of run time.

In video games and especially racing simulations, a few general short cuts are taken.

The chassis is at least a volumetric rigid body with a set mass.

The suspension per wheel is an ideal spring and dampener at least. The suspension geometry is rigid. There is almost always a change of camber and caster and they often influence the force that can be transmitted by the tire. Most games, even simple driving models, simulate anti roll bars. All simulate pitch and roll of the chassis as a result of the mechanical forces on the elastic suspension during dynamic driving.

In short, although a simpler mechanic, all driving simulations from GTA over flat out to asetto corsa have in common that they use a mechanical model with clearly defined mechanical parameters and apply forces to it to simulate a realistic behavior of the chassis under dynamic driving. The behavior here is the result of the mechanics. This is important.

Now for star citizen.
As I said cry engine has a little package for simple vehicles like the grey cat which is a rudimentary mechanical driving model. But the apc had nothing to do with it. What the apc does is it completely splits the chassis from the wheels. The chassis runs on it's own behavior and the wheels have an independent code to "look like they guide it on the surface"
This becomes very clear when you look at what the chassis does when the vehicle runs over an obstacle for example. It does something no chassis of a wheeled vehicle ever does in real life or simulation. It stays still. There is a ton more indicators for this lack of actual mechanical connection between the wheels and the chassis too, like the lack of harmonics, the lack of feedback into the chassis etc. But the most telling thing is really that the chassis doesn't care if a wheel is fully compressing it's suspension.

I asked myself what would result in such behavior and what keeps the chassis in it's vertical position and the answer is as disappointing as funny. It's the same IFCS monstrosity that keeps the ships and the hover vehicles going.

IFCS is a strictly high order system. This means it doesn't care for details like mechanical parameters. You tell the ifcs "how something moves" not what keeps it moving that way. This means the entire mechanical simulation is floating. It's parameters don't matter. What matters is how you envision something to look like and the IFCS will use whatever it has available to achieve that movement pattern. This means that a spring might force 10 kilonewton between its ends at a certain compression, but when it gets compressed more it suddenly goes down to 0.1 kilonewton. This behavior is impossible for a spring, it goes against what a mechanical spring would ever do. But it is what the IFCS tells the spring to do in order to achieve a certain movement pattern.
This focus on the movement instead of mechanics is very similar to how a drone like a quadrocopter works, or a robotic arm. This kind of aproach to a full on vehicle simulation though, apart from the very strictly limited realm of zero G spaceflight, will always result in nightmarish and unsatisfying driving and flight behavior.

This use of a high order IFCS system is why the chassis doesn't give anything about the position of the individual wheel. And this is why the Rover can just gtfo into low earth orbit occasionally like the nox does when something goes haywire.

But you have to understand what this means for a gameplay versus cinematic design side. For gameplay, this is disastrous. It means that the player is unabled to predict what a vehicle is gonna do because we humans don't have a feeling for movement parameters, we have a feeling for repeatable mechanics. At the same time it's a blessing to the cinematics, because you can now go and tell a live simulation of a vehicle "how to look like" instead of going the route of actually finding a mechanical tune to support that visual appeal (which is likely impossible, because what looks good usually doesn't drive good) and now that you read this about the vehicle suspension, you should all take a good look at the ships landing gear too.

This whole train of thought behind this system, the tons of work that must have went into it and the horror that this system made it through a whole 400+ employees company without anyone of the "experienced game designers" asking "why the gently caress are we doing this instead of using something that works guaranteed and is easy to do" is what's the most telling about this whole project.

:same: and for the page that actually matters in space.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

My god, it's full of stores

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIH6Ht8ZqiE

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

2000!!

edit:

dang!

2001!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Latin Pheonix posted:

I can't believe Chris had the loving gall to throw a jpeg ad in when the pilot crashed in the presentation.

Even worse: that's all they had. Just think how many thousands of dollars of crowdfunded dollars they've burned to create commercials to sell in-game ships. Not a grounded vertical slice, not stabilizing the loving build - but they put the most love into loving advertisements.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
Yeah live crash is disappointing, but it also proves the product is real and worth waiting for

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Erenthal posted:

zybourne citizen

That, but Chris is currently completing his Magnum Opus: Stillborn Citizen

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Taintrunner posted:

Even worse: that's all they had. Just think how many thousands of dollars of crowdfunded dollars they've burned to create commercials to sell in-game ships. Not a grounded vertical slice, not stabilizing the loving build - but they put the most love into loving advertisements.

Yeah, but those are INGAME Advertisements! Take that goonie. Furthermore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Taintrunner posted:

Yet given the funding levels, it seems to have worked and paid off.

Problem is the engineering debt on the other side of the question.

roberts_leaping_out_window.jpg