Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

goose willis posted:

Is there such thing as a primer that you can just dip a model into or drybrush all over a model?

Vallejo and Tamiya both have surface primers that are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There is nothing stopping you from dipping your models in primer right now, they'll just look like poo poo.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Drybrushed primers? :wtc:

There are plenty of brush-on primers, however. I used black and grey gessos for years and now I've switched to a Vallejo brush-on. Works great.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Hey NoVA speed painting bros. I just finished my heldrake. I think I am down to 5 raptors and a lot of bases.

This is super-sexy! That blue came out beautifully.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Hey NoVA speed painting bros. I just finished my heldrake. I think I am down to 5 raptors and a lot of bases.

There was discussion about them a page or so ago, I wanted to add my goonsay but I told myself I had to wait till I painted mine first.

Someone said they were fast attack but they are "Flyers" battlefield role. They have the FLY keyword but they are not like other supersonic flyers where they get -1 to be hit + move/pivot/charge restrictions. It feels a little clunky how you can say "fly" four different ways but mean something different, especially when you mix in how people assume they interact with old editions. It is best to just read the dataslate to see what it can or can't do. Simply put they are just a really fast model.

Good job on the Heldrake

Also, yeah my bad on the battlefield role. I didn't have the book in front of me and I thought they were still Fast Attack. But yeah, they don't have the supersonic rules that protect them from ground attacks or the movement restrictions

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm all for abstraction and think rules should be solid even if it means breaking fluff, but I stop well short of calling that rule fluffy.

The CC pile-in rules are needlessly fiddly. There, I said it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

LordAba posted:

The CC pile-in rules are needlessly fiddly. There, I said it.

Yeah. If slingshotting 5 inches behind something to be a fraction of an inch closer is legitimate as a move, it should just be normal unrestricted movement (so long as it doesn't take you out of CQC)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Bee posted:

Yeah. If slingshotting 5 inches behind something to be a fraction of an inch closer is legitimate as a move, it should just be normal unrestricted movement (so long as it doesn't take you out of CQC)

It's in fact the worst kind of fiddly - the kind that is super useful and seems weird enough that some opponents will just say it doesn't work that way and refuse to listen to you.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Not 40k but the female Sigmarine looks really cool, I like the functional armor over metal breast enhancers. I don't want to open a can of worms but it gives me confidence that they can pull off revamped SoB or even female marines.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I was looking at the sisters of silence studio models earlier and was kinda stunned that they had different skin tones.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Hey NoVA speed painting bros.

Stuff's looking good! I'm still furiously painting poo poo for Operation: Blow Up Dan's Dumb Tanks that will hopefully all be done in time.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Not 40k but the female Sigmarine looks really cool, I like the functional armor over metal breast enhancers. I don't want to open a can of worms but it gives me confidence that they can pull off revamped SoB or even female marines.

If this isn't dipping a toe in the pool of making more diverse miniatures, I don't know what is. Shadespire comes with a female Sigmarite too, and she looks pretty solid.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm really not a fan of the sigmen, they're way too blocky and misproportioned. Every single one of them looks like a dumb meat man the size of a refrigerator. The two women they've shown so far just seem like much better models. Their proportions are better and they look like they could feasibly move.

Hopefully it's a sign of things to come. I'd love to see Sisters return and, who knows, it might even lead to mixed guard squads.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I'd love to have mixed Guard squads.

I'd hate to give hams access to relatively cheap and plentiful miniature women.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

:same:

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

adamantium|wang posted:

I bought a selection of stuff Victoria Lamb to add to my Imperial Guard and cannot be happier. The Arcadian Guard has sync-ed up pretty good in both full models and head swaps.

She does good work and looks like she just started a new store. https://victoriaminiatures.com/

Anyone have any experience with the Statuesque Minis heads? I'm thinking of getting a set to sprinkle in my DeathWatch allies. Finding alternative heads for the Imperial Guard was easy but I'm curious if getting some for Space Marines is tricky.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 26, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

adamantium|wang posted:

A friend of mine just put up his Victoria Lamb IG army up on eBay the other day because once he finishes an army he gets bored with it. It's gone stupidly high, which I guess shows the appreciation people have for well done third party sculpts:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Painted-Ast...p0AAOSwTSVZmg7Q

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Bringing my Konor list to the store tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how well it does. I'm not going to cheap out by stormraven rushing the other side and disembarking stuff off the map, but definitely will try and get some of them off the board once my vehicles make it to the other side.

I'm taking a stormraven with captain, apothecary, 5 cataphractii, and a contemptor. Razorback with 6 tac marines, a jump Lt leading 9 vanguard, and 3 predators. Vanguard + Spearhead detachment at 1850. I'm wanting to mix it up and cause some havoc with the jump infantry and vanguard, while the 4 tanks advance through their line. I'll be using my machine empathy and killshot stratagems a fair bit I think.

If I fight another imperium player and end up defending, I can do a suicide rush with the stormraven because defender gets a stratagem to bring dead flyers back onto the table. if I attack, my vanguard can get a turn 1 charge off if they don't deploy well back because defender doesn't get to seize in this scenario.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ferret posted:

I bought a selection of stuff Victoria Lamb to add to my Imperial Guard and cannot be happier. The Arcadian Guard has sync-ed up pretty good in both full models and head swaps.

She does good work and looks like she just started a new store. https://victoriaminiatures.com/
Victoria Lamb does great minis. I did a Catachan squad for Shadow War a couple of months ago, but she unfortunately doesn't carry any Catachan equivalents. I was hoping to add a few women to my squad since, to me, part of the Guard is that they don't care who you are as long as you can hold a lasgun.

I settled for six skin tones instead. :shepface:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I love Imperial Guard and would totally play them or some sort of Renegades equivalent if it wasn't for the fact that a 30 dollar box of dudes only gives you like 30 points of models

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

goose willis posted:

I love Imperial Guard and would totally play them or some sort of Renegades equivalent if it wasn't for the fact that a 30 dollar box of dudes only gives you like 30 points of models

Have you considered more tanks

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

So I'm looking to flesh out ( :v: ) my Emperor's Children/Slaanesh army a bit with some shooty units other than vehicles. I was thinking Obliterators or Havocs, but I've never used either, nor have I seen them used. Are these my best options, or am I overlooking something? :ohdear:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

Yeah I saw her earlier and I do kinda want to grab that head for future conversions when Blightwar comes out.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

With the way army matchups go in the Narrative you're probably actually at a disadvantage having so many points in Flyers. If you're going to clearly outmatch someone however, you can always dedicate one Vulture to only killing civilians. I'm pretty sure Dan's doing that already.

All civilians will die. I will fire Manticores at them if I have to. gently caress them.

OhDearGodNo posted:

The list with 2 vultures also has 6 infantry squads, I should be good but the new rules are troubling. I've already set to try and set a new record for civilian casualties so devoting them to that function seems like a viable course of action...

6 IG infantry squads are not hard to kill if you're not going out of your way to hide them. Especially in NoVA missions. Expect them to die.

You won't kill more civies than me. No way, no how.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

So I'm looking to flesh out ( :v: ) my Emperor's Children/Slaanesh army a bit with some shooty units other than vehicles. I was thinking Obliterators or Havocs, but I've never used either, nor have I seen them used. Are these my best options, or am I overlooking something? :ohdear:

I'm assuming you already have Noise Marines, which are pretty solidly shooty and now a Troop again for EC. Havocs get a good selection of weapons, though I'm still a fan of keeping them cheap using either Heavy Bolters or Autocannons. ACs don't have an official modern bit, so it would be some kitbashing to create them. Unless you fill out the unit with ten models you're going to find Havocs targeted and taken out quickly because of their damage potential so it's best not to invest a ton of points into the costlier options.

Obliterators are a great choice, as they're survivable and their random weapon is still good with a low roll and great at with a high one. They're also one of the few Chaos units that can teleport in for good positioning. In the new edition you must field units with a minimum of three models and their models are older sculpts that, while not terrible, are pretty fiddly and expensive for what they are.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm assuming you already have Noise Marines, which are pretty solidly shooty and now a Troop again for EC. Havocs get a good selection of weapons, though I'm still a fan of keeping them cheap using either Heavy Bolters or Autocannons. ACs don't have an official modern bit, so it would be some kitbashing to create them. Unless you fill out the unit with ten models you're going to find Havocs targeted and taken out quickly because of their damage potential so it's best not to invest a ton of points into the costlier options.

Obliterators are a great choice, as they're survivable and their random weapon is still good with a low roll and great at with a high one. They're also one of the few Chaos units that can teleport in for good positioning. In the new edition you must field units with a minimum of three models and their models are older sculpts that, while not terrible, are pretty fiddly and expensive for what they are.

Autocannons do have an official "modern" bit for CSM, it's just that it's only in this kit:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Chaos-Space-Marines-Havocs

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The Sex Cannon posted:

All civilians will die. I will fire Manticores at them if I have to. gently caress them.

6 IG infantry squads are not hard to kill if you're not going out of your way to hide them. Especially in NoVA missions. Expect them to die.

You won't kill more civies than me. No way, no how.

Oh, it's on.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

Escher Gang Leader found.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SRM posted:

Stuff's looking good! I'm still furiously painting poo poo for Operation: Blow Up Dan's Dumb Tanks that will hopefully all be done in time.

That is definitely my favorite mission to roll.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Not perfect, but they'll do. Freehanding those checks is awful, but it's still easier than using transfers.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Not perfect, but they'll do. Freehanding those checks is awful, but it's still easier than using transfers.

I love how his bayonet is on upside down.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Irate Tree posted:

It actually fits better on the model that way!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Irate Tree posted:

Nobody expects an upswing from an axe bayonet, proper orky thinking.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Irate Tree posted:

It also appears that the Bayonet is reaching up beyond the gun barrel so that the bullet will hit it when it fires. This will inevitably lead to the bullet being split in two, thus double the dakka from one gun.

An ork genius.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I imagine it keeps the blade good and sharp.

Also I have just laughed out loud on a train thanks to this discourse.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm also tempted to put a scope on a big shoota. Because that would make it more accurate.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I might be am retarded, but I have a hard time seeing any difference between Sigmarines and Adeptus Custodes models.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm also tempted to put a scope on a big shoota. Because that would make it more accurate.

Paint the magazine red so that the bullets get out fasta.

Paint the barrel red so that the bullets go fasta.

You already painted the helmet red so that the Ork thinks fasta, so good job.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

One of the guys in out group put a crosshair on his Warboss' powerklaw :v:

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Speaking of Orks, I have a huge lot available. Please excuse the terrible pictures, https://imgur.com/gallery/npaov

1 Plastic Warboss
1 Metal Mek with KFF
1 Metal Mek with Shokk attack Gun
1 Metal Painboy
1 converted fantasy black ork with banner
1 recast buzzgob big mek (unassembled)
8 Bikers
5 Deffkoptas (all rokkits)
2 battlewagons
1 trukk
3 Killa Kans (primed with airbrush)
64 Shoota Boyz (46 painted)
70 Slugga/Choppa Boyz (48 primed 22 painted/base coated)
6 Big Shoota Boyz
6 Rokkit Launcha Boyz
3 PK Nobz
1 Big Choppa Nob
9 Lootas with Mek
9 Burnas with Mek
16 Stormboyz
8 fantasy black orks converted to nobz (3 PK 5 big choppa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Can sisters of silence ride in a Valkyrie?