Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

A fair point. Also...thinking of whaling out on the Mutsu and Indy. Indy is a Pensa with radar and the buffed Pensa is pretty sweet. Anyone have a Mutsu with thoughts?

Mutsu is a nagato a tier lower. Not sure if they are the old a hull nagato shells or not. However, she is very very shotgunny. But also not so armored as to get close to make the shotgun effect less bad. Also, the torpedoes have bad angles and bad damage. They are mostly there to cut down on your secondary count (a couple of the secondary openings have the launchers instead of a gun). I don't really play her or the hood anymore. They are amusing gimmick ships, but that gun accuracy drives me nuts. Even the dunk doesn't feel as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Remember when WoT made a streamers apologize and threatened to take away his super tester status because he stated that who ever made the maps must eat crayons (the maps are so bad in WoT). And the CEO (I think) of WoT publicly called for his apology because one of the lead map designers are his cousin (or something). :allears:

Edit: Thanks Juffo. Guess I'll pass on it.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Ichase has been removed from the community contributor program for his review on the Graf Zeppelin.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

Ichase has been removed from the community contributor program for his review on the Graf Zeppelin.

Not for the negative review. Instead, he was canned for heatedly saying that the marketing people that put it forth in this state and the devs that sucked at balancing it should be fired. If that was left out, he wouldn't have been removed.

Sadly, it is still going to go down badly for wargaming again. Because the sirfoch incident wasn't enough of a lesson on this.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I wouldn't exactly add "sadly" there. This is completely Wargaming's fault if they want to throw a hissy fit over some heated words. If they lose money over this decision, legitimate breach of agreement termination or no, then it's fully deserved.

Also, if you haven't watched it, Fara kind of covers why CVs are in such a poo poo state play/balance-wise in his own GZ review. He took a look at what the Russian devs are playing on their own accounts in their free time, and they've at most got a play percentage of ~1% in them compared to other classes of ships. Kind of shows you just how much the people developing the game care about making sure the class is in a good place.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Not for the negative review. Instead, he was canned for heatedly saying that the marketing people that put it forth in this state and the devs that sucked at balancing it should be fired. If that was left out, he wouldn't have been removed.

Sadly, it is still going to go down badly for wargaming again. Because the sirfoch incident wasn't enough of a lesson on this.

I agree with that decision, by the way.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

I wouldn't exactly add "sadly" there. This is completely Wargaming's fault if they want to throw a hissy fit over some heated words. If they lose money over this decision, legitimate breach of agreement termination or no, then it's fully deserved.

Also, if you haven't watched it, Fara kind of covers why CVs are in such a poo poo state play/balance-wise in his own GZ review. He took a look at what the Russian devs are playing on their own accounts in their free time, and they've at most got a play percentage of ~1% in them compared to other classes of ships. Kind of shows you just how much the people developing the game care about making sure the class is in a good place.

He actually did two. And I linked them both. The heated GZ video and a previous video form a few weeks ago talking about why the ijn is such a gold standard line while the USN can't get it together. And he even described how to fix the ranger and lexington.

But yeah, his GZ rant is hilarious.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I want to feel bad about this debacle, but I don't. After SirFoch, they really haven't learned anything.

Content creators should be free to express their emotions about products and design decisions, since they also provide what is effectively free advertising. Wargaming on the obverse should not react emotionally to criticism, or at least.. not in such a petty manner.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

A fair point. Also...thinking of whaling out on the Mutsu and Indy. Indy is a Pensa with radar and the buffed Pensa is pretty sweet. Anyone have a Mutsu with thoughts?

Mutsu is ok. It has Nagato's guns, but uses an older shell. Still chops through like a foot of armor at 15km. And importantly, like the Warspite and Bayern, it will overmatch the bow of tier 6 BBs. Armor is not very good, so try to hide behind an Arizona or something. The torpedoes are neat, but as stated the angles are kinda bad so you almost have to be broadside to use them. But they do reload very fast.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

JuffoWup posted:

Instead, he was canned for heatedly saying that the marketing people that put it forth in this state and the devs that sucked at balancing it should be fired.

Sure he was. Suuuuuuure. :jerkbag:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The fallout from this should be interesting.

If I were a CC I would be aiming to make as dramatic an exit as possible. Crash the entire program with no survivors.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

Mutsu is ok. It has Nagato's guns, but uses an older shell. Still chops through like a foot of armor at 15km. And importantly, like the Warspite and Bayern, it will overmatch the bow of tier 6 BBs. Armor is not very good, so try to hide behind an Arizona or something. The torpedoes are neat, but as stated the angles are kinda bad so you almost have to be broadside to use them. But they do reload very fast.

Mutsu's penetration is terrible, the only thing it has going for it is that the shells can overmatch.

Dug this up from earlier in the thread:

By the time you hit 5km range, the only T6 with worse penetration is the Bayern. Hell, there's only a minuscule, less than 0.5 km, band where it's not the second worst at any range. Also shows just how miserable the Nagato/Amagi/Izumo A hulls used to be to play through, since that's the same shell they used to have.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The only things Mutsu has going for her are that she's powered by the faith of small children and the love of the CNO.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I don't think the Mutsu is all that great. It just can't consistently land shots on things to do damage, and it has iffy penetration on things it does hit.

Watching people poo poo on the Graf Zepplin is fun though.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
gently caress are pubbies bad tonight. I should really get on discord and div, but I really just want to dick around in boats and hammer beers. Also, gently caress two brothers. What an awful map.

Edit: Also the increase in CVs on the NA server is loving awful and I wish CVs would just be removed.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Flamu on Reddit: "I was thinking about making a vid where I suggest they fire whoever designed most of the high tier maps in the game, wonder if that would get me removed as a CC as well? 🤔"

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Wargaming has demonstrated that if you don't giggle on cue and gush about how wonderful they are they'll gently caress you over. I don't blame Flamu if he decides they can all loving burn.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Honestly, I don't watch any of the youtube/streamers outside of Yuro, but I do appreciate that they lend out their time and sometimes money to promote the game and educate the part of the playerbase that wants to learn.

It's a terrible public relations gaffe no matter how you look at this situation.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Wargaming evidently threatened to pull ichase's community contributor status when he made the Steel Ocean video, so not like it's a first.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Between this, the similar incident with a WoT CC, and the generally hosed state of the game, it's going to be a long, long time before I give WG any more money.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

gently caress are pubbies bad tonight. I should really get on discord and div, but I really just want to dick around in boats and hammer beers. Also, gently caress two brothers. What an awful map.

Edit: Also the increase in CVs on the NA server is loving awful and I wish CVs would just be removed.

As everyone has said, the mutsu is not a great ship, but she is playable. Better than the Ichi for retraining a captain.

However, I will say this. If you do not buy the Indy on sale right now, I will hate you forever. Ruining British cruisers days will never get old.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I'm sure that Wargaming doesn't want to give the ships their "full national character" at low tier or some poo poo, but it doesn't really make sense that the Danae is worse at being a tier 4 British cruiser than the tier 4 French cruiser is.

The tier 4 French cruiser is stupidly good though :france:

edit: also what is the fastest way to complete this 140k damage mission given that I have only tier 4 ships and no premium account, can I platoon a torpedo boat into high tier co-op or something?

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 26, 2017

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Picked up the Myoko, my first t7. After a few horrible losses that were part weekend game and part getting used to the ship, things clicked.

I think I'm going to enjoy this boat. :getin:

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

I found a good example of how overpowered is the Saipan.
Look at this guy: http://wows-numbers.com/player/500589667,julitos31/

Now, he was my Midway in the last game and, by the amount of games played and by how good he was at the game, I'm pretty sure he's not in Mensa.
Compare his performance with normal carriers with the Saipan: its winrate is 15-20% higher in the Saipan, compared to other carriers.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!

James Garfield posted:

edit: also what is the fastest way to complete this 140k damage mission given that I have only tier 4 ships and no premium account, can I platoon a torpedo boat into high tier co-op or something?

You pretty much suggested the one thing I could think of to complete that mission at that tier. Maybe div up with two Bayerns/Fusos and have them just go super passive until you kill the red versions. The problem is that ship HP is so low at that tier (even BBs), and you're working with basically the Isokaze and nothing else.

I take it you don't have a Kamikazi/Fujin? Or a Gallant? Any of those would allow for Nagato/Bismark divmates which would make it a simple matter of flooding the enemy at the right time. The higher the tier you get the easier this mission is, oddly.

Feel free to hit me up for help if I'm on, my hours are weird and pretty random.

Edit: Also, having a divmate in a carrier would help a lot. CVs have decent HP pools and can spot while you smoke without endangering themselves, and it's not difficult to outplay the bot CV.

Mauzeraut fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 26, 2017

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So, granted there have been only 2k or so matches with the Graf Zeppelin so far; however, I did note this morning that despite it's lower damage per match, she currently has a better win rate on EU than Lexington. That seems sad.

HFX posted:

As everyone has said, the mutsu is not a great ship, but she is playable. Better than the Ichi for retraining a captain.

However, I will say this. If you do not buy the Indy on sale right now, I will hate you forever. Ruining British cruisers days will never get old.

Mutsu is okay. Her guns can be trollishly good depending on her match making.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I have a real and passionate dislike of maps where 85% of the poo poo is open water with all of the cover crammed into one corner. If you're a cruiser without high concealment, welp, gently caress you. You'll get punished every time you fire.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
They should really allow two carriers per side at high tiers too. gently caress it. Maybe they'd balance them and make them work better then.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, for those who haven't been on the PTS, the Lion seems significantly nerfed - possibly too much - over the previous version that was being shown off by Flamu et al. That sigma change really hurts, especially as they don't have the secondaries or armor to fall back on like the German ones. This comment likely applies to the Conqueror as well.

They did make the decision between the 406s and 419s easy though... by making the 419s a completely unambiguous upgrade in every way. Guns have the exact sames stats other than Fire Chance and AP/HE damage. Stats are incredibly generic too, with 30 second reload on both, along with 45 second stock rotation time (actually pretty bad for a T9 battleship).

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I'm glad pubbies have always been so bad at the atlanta. Properly played, you can really wreck faces. Just had a game where I did 74.4k damage. But the crowning point was the enemy mutsu telling me in chat that I can have my bitch spot (I was shooting from a location he couldn't shoot back reliably). Also shot down 15 enemy planes because he kept wandering them too close to my aft boosted bubble.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Lord Koth posted:

So, for those who haven't been on the PTS, the Lion seems significantly nerfed - possibly too much - over the previous version that was being shown off by Flamu et al. That sigma change really hurts, especially as they don't have the secondaries or armor to fall back on like the German ones. This comment likely applies to the Conqueror as well.

They did make the decision between the 406s and 419s easy though... by making the 419s a completely unambiguous upgrade in every way. Guns have the exact sames stats other than Fire Chance and AP/HE damage. Stats are incredibly generic too, with 30 second reload on both, along with 45 second stock rotation time (actually pretty bad for a T9 battleship).

Why even bother with the 406s as an option on the Conquerer then?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Why even bother with the 406s as an option on the Conquerer then?

Did that change? I thought the conq was 4x3 419s and 4x2 457s.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

They should really allow two carriers per side at high tiers too. gently caress it. Maybe they'd balance them and make them work better then.

Unless they reduce the air spotting range of destroyers significantly and make it impossible for planes to spot torpedoes, this would be awful and make destroyer play at 8+ unplayable.

Lord Koth posted:

Now this is actually very unexpected. If the British don't have supreme accuracy or super heal as their BB gimmick, I'm at a loss as to what they'll excel at on paper. I don't really understand what they're trying to do.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Heartcatch posted:

Unless they reduce the air spotting range of destroyers significantly and make it impossible for planes to spot torpedoes, this would be awful and make destroyer play at 8+ unplayable.

Now this is actually very unexpected. If the British don't have supreme accuracy or super heal as their BB gimmick, I'm at a loss as to what they'll excel at on paper. I don't really understand what they're trying to do.

Lion still has the super heal, or at the very least it felt like a super heal, so that's not gone. It's offensively that it seems pretty meh, and the armor is fairly mediocre as well. The concealment is still absurd and the AA is murderous.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

While I do like the concealment and am glad that it hasn't changed, I don't think that they can particularly base battleship play solely off of concealment and AA. It sounds somewhat aggressively unimpressive from your summary.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

The entire reason they restricted it to a single carrier in the first place was that they utterly failed to balance carriers and apparently were at a loss on how to do so. Multiple carrier games were loving nightmares, beyond magnifying the usual awful game mechanics like the spotting nightmare for DDs I don't think there's a single ship in the game capable of surviving a double carrier faceroll strike alive.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 26, 2017

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Lord Koth posted:

The 406/419 thing on the Lion has always been true though; all the initial previews said the 419s were a straight upgrade. As for the sigma change IIRC the 457s kept their 2.0 sigma while the 419s got knocked to 1.8 so I wonder if it might be worth using the 457s now.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Warbadger posted:

The entire reason they restricted it to a single carrier in the first place was that they utterly failed to balance carriers and apparently were at a loss on how to do so. Multiple carrier games were loving nightmares, beyond magnifying the usual awful game mechanics like the spotting nightmare for DDs I don't think there's a single ship in the game capable of surviving a double carrier faceroll strike alive.

Yeah, double high-tier CV games usually had them cooperating and deleting whatever ships they attacked. poo poo was not fun.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The problem with this is, of course, that reality is colliding with game mechanics. WG wants to make a game about battleships but battleships were phased out for carriers for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Good news guys, Navy Field is getting a Steam release. Now we can play another terrible ship game :captainpop:

Also holy poo poo why are there so many Graf Septics sailing around. Why not buy something fun?