Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Mods?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

wicka posted:

Either Alonso is insanely good or the corner entry speed is just much lower for McLaren.

Spoilers, both, but mostly the latter

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

F1 2017 is fun, but the default difficulty is way too low. No way should I be qualifying 1st in a McLaren, much less finish a race there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How does the engine map that figures out where people are based on throttle usage account for unexpectedly having to lift off etc?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

I'm sorry that Vettel is such a fraud that he needs help to make it to the front row.

What the gently caress is this poo poo!?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

How does the engine map that figures out where people are based on throttle usage account for unexpectedly having to lift off etc?

Thinks it's the next corner down probably. It's no different than the active suspension era where a car would miss a beacon at a corner and then lose its mind the rest of the lap.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

1500quidporsche posted:

Thinks it's the next corner down probably. It's no different than the active suspension era where a car would miss a beacon at a corner and then lose its mind the rest of the lap.

Why not just give the driver a button to push? Push to pass is a great system, and giving the drivers a turbo button (a la KERS) would be great.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The issue is that the hybrid systems get used to cover up the deficiencies of a single turbo set up and smooth out the power curve so there's no easy way to put the handling of that in the hands of the driver. I do think they should reduce the complexity of these systems even if it means the cars lose two seconds a lap.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ban hybrid engines and computers

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

A way you could do it I think is to say to the engine manufacturers "Okay you get four engine maps" and have it be Harvest/Race-conservative/Race-aggressive/Qualifying and then let the drivers chose between those as they go through the lap and race or whatever instead of the 300 separate settings they have now dictated to them by the engineer.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Kimi's post-quali interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acDHTpm-d7g

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Just touched down in my shitposting office for the week. There's a loving McDonalds on the entry to the tunnel.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

Just touched down in my shitposting office for the week. There's a loving McDonalds on the entry to the tunnel.

Go say hi to drgitlin and also tell me how often you hear russian

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

From what all the articles are saying, it can't, but there's the ability to restart it.

Seems odd to only rely on throttle input to determine where the car is on track but I don't know enough about the regulations to work out what else they can do. Suspension loading? Tyre rotation comparison, DRS, accelerometers etc. I seems like GPS engine management wouldn't be allowed but extremely difficult to prevent.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presumably it can take input from DRS activation as well

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Whitey Ford posted:

From what all the articles are saying, it can't, but there's the ability to restart it.

Seems odd to only rely on throttle input to determine where the car is on track but I don't know enough about the regulations to work out what else they can do. Suspension loading? Tyre rotation comparison, DRS, accelerometers etc. I seems like GPS engine management wouldn't be allowed but extremely difficult to prevent.

My guess is that it's limited to throttle input to try and stem them from using the hybrid systems as a form of traction control.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Theophany posted:

Yeah but you can order a beer with your meal, so it's not all bad

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

geonetix posted:

Spoilers, both, but mostly the latter

This is basically true.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Renault's performance this year is odd. They are all over the drat place.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It's me. I'm the guy going to Monaco and eating at McDonalds.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If I'd just flown into somewhere and it was nearly midnight then I'd likely head to a McDonald's as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ilmucche posted:

Push to pass is a great system

:frogout:

We have that already and its called DRS.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

1500quidporsche posted:

A way you could do it I think is to say to the engine manufacturers "Okay you get four engine maps" and have it be Harvest/Race-conservative/Race-aggressive/Qualifying and then let the drivers chose between those as they go through the lap and race or whatever instead of the 300 separate settings they have now dictated to them by the engineer.

Agreed.

Things like when, was it Hamilton? A few races ago his car got put into the wrong mode and he kept fiddling with it trying to get the right mode so he could just race and they weren't legally allowed to tell him how to fix it over radio so they were just like "sorry mate, do your best, probably don't gently caress with it"

If it was just 4 settings he could see that he was on the wrong one and flip it.

But then, you want to be swapping between harvest and race modes every other corner, right? That'd be too much input for the driver, you'd have trouble focusing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Indy uses I think 8, and 4 feels way too low

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hmmmm I should probably watch a racist and a woman beater punch the poo poo out of each other tonight

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Norns posted:

Hmmmm I should probably watch a racist and a woman beater punch the poo poo out of each other tonight

American politics has become really weird

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm watching Indy instead

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iospace posted:

I'm watching Indy instead

We all make bad decisions sometimes.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Powershift posted:

We all make bad decisions sometimes.

Like your parents.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dentist toy box posted:

Like your parents.

:respek:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Norns posted:

SuperGT stream starts in like an hour according to their YouTube channel

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

gently caress thisnshitty boxing match and gently caress my friends that have convinced me to watch it. I could sleep and be goodnfornthe f1 tomorrow

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ilmucche posted:

gently caress thisnshitty boxing match and gently caress my friends that have convinced me to watch it. I could sleep and be goodnfornthe f1 tomorrow

Even if his opponent wasn't a joke Mayweather is the most boring technical boxer of all time. Idk why everyone gets hyped over his matches.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Even if his opponent wasn't a joke Mayweather is the most boring technical boxer of all time. Idk why everyone gets hyped over his matches.

Hope

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
11pm EST and one more stupid undercard fight that no one gives a poo poo about to go.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Even if his opponent wasn't a joke Mayweather Hamilton is the most boring technical boxer driver of all time. Idk why everyone gets hyped over his matches races.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If a quarter of all the rounds in Mayweather fights were just him being complete dogshit, unfocused and getting his poo poo pushed in I'd be far more excited about his fights.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pro Mayweather fight drinking game, drink every time the ref has to intervene for holding. Pass out by the second round.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

11pm EST and one more stupid undercard fight that no one gives a poo poo about to go.

This fight with fuzzypants is pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Welp, after two undercard fights I'm going home. The current one is actually some decent looking power punchers, but spa is on tomorrow so gently caress it

• Locked thread