Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Yaws posted:

Don't put words in my mouth

OK. Then go ahead and explain what you meant then. You didn't leave me much to draw on and your post was rather drive by in style. I've written a lot about your assertion and why I think it's wrong and why you might have said it, so you should have plenty to bounce off of.

I'm genuinely curious why you wrote that.

Also, I didn't "put words in your mouth". I supposed and said as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

OK. Then go ahead and explain what you meant then.

I dunno, I was piss drunk when I wrote that lol

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yaws posted:

That's the Stephen King way.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!
All work and no play makes Yaws a dull boy.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
He thrusts his fists against the shitposts and still insists he sees the ghosts

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*shitghosts

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Some early (140 characters or less) reviews are starting to come in and I'm getting very hyped. Really happy to hear that the spirit of the Losers Club is in this.

el oso fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 26, 2017

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, God. This is a real word now isn't it?

It's been one for awhile! It's where we get meme from, not the other way around.

el oso posted:

Some early (140 characters or less) reviews are starting to come in and I'm getting very hyped. Really happy to hear that the spirit of the Losers Club is in this.

Oh man oh man this is so awesome to hear but it is going to make these next few weeks loving last forever. The hype train is starting to fly out of control in my brains.

BlackJosh fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 26, 2017

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I like how Hollywood has basically turned the entire internet nerd movie blog/social media industry into it's own personal hype machine. A free promotional screening and a couple of complimentary swag bags and you've got a 80+% RT score for your new movie for days.

I'll get excited when the reviews aren't coming from the clickbait lords and next gen Harry Knowles.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Yaws posted:

Truly, that post was your Cujo

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

porfiria posted:

King will probably be around in 100 years, but I don't know about Shakespeare. Maybe Dickens.

Dickens is definitely a much more apt comparison than Shakespeare, yeah.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
holy poo poo this looks so loving good

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Dickens is definitely a much more apt comparison than Shakespeare, yeah.

The way King names characters is extremely Dickensian, as a bonus.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The way King names characters is extremely Dickensian, as a bonus.

Can you expand on this? I've read a lot of King but only a little Dickens.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm listening to the audiobook of this and poo poo man. Ritchie just did one of his racist audio-blackface voices in 1985, right in front of Mike no less, and no one went "Woah! What the gently caress Ritchie?!?". I mean it was 1985 but surely someone would've said something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm listening to the audiobook of this and poo poo man. Ritchie just did one of his racist audio-blackface voices right in front of Mike and no one went "Woah! What the gently caress Ritchie?!?". I mean it was 1985 but surely someone would've said something.

People, for good or ill, tend to be a lot more forgiving of poo poo when it comes from a friend. That said I'm pretty sure Mike does say something to Richie about it later at some point (though I may be misremembering.)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Can you expand on this? I've read a lot of King but only a little Dickens.

It's not quite as lurid as Dickens, Scrooge, for example is such an evocative name that it ended up in the dictionary. Other examples are Cratchit, Sowerberry, Stryver (talk about on the nose), Havisham for a twisted, covetous, bitter old woman, etc.

But names like Jack Torrance, Carrie White, Randall Flagg, Kurt Barlow, John Smith etc. are definitely in that tradition, even if not quite as fanciful.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's not quite as lurid as Dickens, Scrooge, for example is such an evocative name that it ended up in the dictionary. Other examples are Cratchit, Sowerberry, Stryver (talk about on the nose), Havisham for a twisted, covetous, bitter old woman, etc.

But names like Jack Torrance, Carrie White, Randall Flagg, Kurt Barlow, John Smith etc. are definitely in that tradition, even if not quite as fanciful.

Naming characters is such a specific skill, one that I was never very good at in my own fiction writing. Stu Redman is a good one too. I was also talking with someone the other day about how much I love Church (short for Winston Churchill) as the name of the cat in Pet Sematary. Cujo, for that matter, is a name I'm pretty sure King invented whole cloth that may not be in the dictionary but might as well be.

edit: I misremembered, actually Cujo was the assumed name of one of the dudes in the Symbionese Liberation Army, which is almost even better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Writers who can create good evocative names are few and far between. It's always genuinely impressive to me when people can pull it off because making a good name is loving hard. People who can pull off on-the-nose names deserve a bit more credit than they usually get because damned if it isn't hard.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cujo is a particularly inspired name.

It's generally accepted as an essential writing skill, but I always associate it with Dickens because the symbolism of his character's names was always so striking. Cronenberg is also incredible at this with his pseudo-anagrammatic naming convention, who else would come up with poo poo like Stathis Borans?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

[quote="“FreudianSlippers”" post="“475771220”"]
I’m listening to the audiobook of this and poo poo man. Ritchie just did one of his racist audio-blackface voices in 1985, right in front of Mike no less, and no one went “Woah! What the gently caress Ritchie?!?”. I mean it was 1985 but surely someone would’ve said something.
[/quote]

Isn’t that what “beep beep, Ritchie” is a stand-in for?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cujo is a particularly inspired name.

It's generally accepted as an essential writing skill, but I always associate it with Dickens because the symbolism of his character's names was always so striking. Cronenberg is also incredible at this with his pseudo-anagrammatic naming convention, who else would come up with poo poo like Stathis Borans?

Or Seth Brundle for that matter.

A funny anecdote that connects the two is that Cronenberg had to really be sold on directing The Dead Zone because "I would never name a character Johnny Smith."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm listening to the audiobook of this and poo poo man. Ritchie just did one of his racist audio-blackface voices in 1985, right in front of Mike no less, and no one went "Woah! What the gently caress Ritchie?!?". I mean it was 1985 but surely someone would've said something.

It's set in the 50's.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

It's set in the 50's.

No one would've said anything in 1985 either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9GBuciv20A

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Not the adult parts.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

They all start reverting back to their old selves when they reunite in ‘85, which is what Freudian there was referring to. Bill’s stutter comes back, Ritchie goes from using his radio-appropriate voices to his racist childhood ones, Eddie’s “asthma” becomes as bad as it was back in ‘58...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh okay. I haven't gotten to that part yet. I'm still in the middle of the 50's and I passed Richie's racist black voice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao I just opened it up again and sure enough, he did the voice.

Amazing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I do like that they specifiy that although Ritchie has been doing his voices for as long as anyone can remember they were complete poo poo when he was a kid.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I do like that they specifiy that although Ritchie has been doing his voices for as long as anyone can remember they were complete poo poo when he was a kid.

Yeah I love that touch in the book.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's a good touch. I had to see how Mike from Stranger Things could pull them off because all I can picture is him being worried and in love.

But from the clip in the Sewers he does it well. Bad impressions with a lot of confidence.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Just a friendly reminder that the new Pennywise having a head that is basically the body of a spider and making it subtle and look good is already really impressive.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 27, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Just a friendly reminded that the new Pennywise having a head that is basically the body of a spider and making it subtle and looks good is already really impressive.

I didn't even notice that but, yeah, I'm totally digging his look. Confident this thing is going to be good.

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the introduction to Salem's Lot he talks about how his mom thought a lot of what he read as a kid, Dracula, E.C. horror comics, and stuff along those lines, was trash but she didn't mind him reading it as long as it wasn't "bad trash". He then goes on to say that if his mother had lived to read the book she would've considered it trash but not bad trash.

I think he is fully aware that he is basically the king of the pulp writers.

The man wrote and directed Maximum Overdrive perhaps the schlockiest movies ever. You bet he's aware of it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Maine is basically the Alabama of new england, King is one of the good ones and he's still basically a character from Get Out.

No one would've said anything in 1985 either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9GBuciv20A

poo poo, Soul Man would come out a year later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbX9U622I5Q

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

WB threw up some b-roll: https://youtu.be/3rPsjTmJFMk

Two things: they built the entire sewers! Cool. Also, the amount of practical stuff in this footage is kind of ridiculous. And also, Bill Skarsgård sure as hell went as method as you can go with the embodiment of evil. Him just sitting and holding a bundle of balloons is menacing.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Got my tickets for opening night! I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever done so- everything is selling me super hard for IT

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm surprised myself just how excited I am for this. The story is such a part of my DNA and every shot so far looks great. Bonus, for once we're not screwed over here so I actually get to see it before it opens in the US! Hopefully its a nice palate cleanse from The Dark Tower...

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Have any other LA area goons been to this:

I thought it was an adequate waste of an afternoon and hyped me up for the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

The Cameo posted:

WB threw up some b-roll: https://youtu.be/3rPsjTmJFMk

Two things: they built the entire sewers! Cool. Also, the amount of practical stuff in this footage is kind of ridiculous. And also, Bill Skarsgård sure as hell went as method as you can go with the embodiment of evil. Him just sitting and holding a bundle of balloons is menacing.

When Pennywise is in that room full of clown dolls, one of them looks like Tim Curry Pennywise.

• Locked thread