Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
those would likely be nontaxable fringe benefits in the USA but lol yeah the company definitely hosed up if thats not how it works in Canada

also, taxation is theft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Zynga hosed up the accounting and they should eat the bill rather than passing it on to the individuals had no power to do accounting in behalf of Zynga.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
zynga should do a lot of things differently, but the fact is the employees still received taxable income so it's their responsibility

if it makes you feel better, you can believe the taxes are going to pay for increased oil sands drilling instead of paying for social programs

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
maybe the zynga employees should get together and spend more on a court case to get zynga to pay than they would have paid in taxes anyway, as a matter of principle

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

Zynga hosed up the accounting and they should eat the bill rather than passing it on to the individuals had no power to do accounting in behalf of Zynga.

exactly the fact that Stymie thinks the individuals are to blame is reprehensible. it's not like they were willfully ignorant of their obligations the company made no effort to let them of what those benefits imply.

and just to preempt whatever bullshit you'll come up next because you can't sympathize with human beings

gently caress YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol at assuming tech workers aren't willfully ignorant

buddy, i've got some really bad news about that

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Janitor Prime posted:

exactly the fact that Stymie thinks the individuals are to blame is reprehensible. it's not like they were willfully ignorant of their obligations the company made no effort to let them of what those benefits imply.

and just to preempt whatever bullshit you'll come up next because you can't sympathize with human beings

gently caress YOU

Why are you getting angry at a stymie post

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

qhat posted:

Why are you responding to a stymie post?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you'll note the dude doesn't say how much the total is, if it's $40/month for the gym and then idk $150/month for food that's ~3 grand in extra income max, what are canadian tax rates like?

if it was like a crippling amount of money for this person they'd say the amount, they probably left it out because "I have to pay six hundred dollars in taxes [but I got free food and gym for a year]" isn't a good sob story

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
look, we're trying to be outraged about the indignity of paying taxes here, the amount doesn't matter

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

dqs

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Stymie posted:

paying taxes isn't victimization

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

:rip: actually helpful thread.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I'll be sure to bring up this story next time a Canuck brags about the superiority of centralized tax collection

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Dislike button posted:

those would likely be nontaxable fringe benefits in the USA but lol yeah the company definitely hosed up if thats not how it works in Canada
The rules are complex http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2015/jul/exclude-employer-provided-meals-and-lodging.html

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

look, we're trying to be outraged about the indignity of paying taxes here, the amount doesn't matter

I'm actually indignified that even though you trust your taxes are being withheld by the company you're still held responsible for their fuckups. I mean it ultimately boils down to "the indignity of paying taxes" like you said, but there's no reason it needs to be this stupid and having the government go after that money from the individuals when it should have been the company's responsibility and obligation to collect.

qhat posted:

Why are you getting angry at a stymie post

Because I'm in a bad place in my life :smith:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Janitor Prime posted:

I'm actually indignified that even though you trust your taxes are being withheld by the company you're still held responsible for their fuckups. I mean it ultimately boils down to "the indignity of paying taxes" like you said, but there's no reason it needs to be this stupid and having the government go after that money from the individuals when it should have been the company's responsibility and obligation to collect.

Because I'm in a bad place in my life :smith:

then let's not frame this as anything other than a bookkeeping mixup and not some sort of inconceivable injustice of biblical proportions

taxes didn't get paid, and now they're going to get paid, the timing may be inconvenient but that's the worst than can be said about it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Janitor Prime posted:

understanding or seeking advice on tax laws is a duty of the citizen

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gazpacho posted:

if a company is supposed to be withholding taxes on an individual's behalf it's the company's duty to ensure they do so correctly, not the individual's

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

qirex posted:

you'll note the dude doesn't say how much the total is, if it's $40/month for the gym and then idk $150/month for food that's ~3 grand in extra income max, what are canadian tax rates like?

if it was like a crippling amount of money for this person they'd say the amount, they probably left it out because "I have to pay six hundred dollars in taxes [but I got free food and gym for a year]" isn't a good sob story

i would be pretty pissed if my employer's legal and HR department was so disorganized that i got a $3k bump in taxes that i could have opted out of if they had their poo poo together.

especially given that these were probably sold to emplloyees as free perks ad part of their benefits package. its not a free perk if I am straight up paying for it, and if i am paying for it i am going to value it differenty and make sure i use it. thats absolutely knowledge they should give employees before they get a bill in the mail.

but zynga is poo poo so i guess not! this would never happen at a real company with a competent legal department.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Stymie posted:

then let's not frame this as anything other than a bookkeeping mixup and not some sort of inconceivable injustice of biblical proportions

taxes didn't get paid, and now they're going to get paid, the timing may be inconvenient but that's the worst than can be said about it

if the employer says its a free perk and i end up on the hook to just pay for it through taxes, i am bot going to be worning there for long because who knows what other stupid mistakes theyve made that ill be on the hook for.

its 100% the employers fuckup and employees should not be on the hook for it.

if i didnt get a bonus to make up for it and an apology i'd be quitting asap.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Gazpacho posted:

if the company says it is a free perk it is 100% reasonable to assume that they have their poo poo together enough to understand that they are putting a tax liability on their employees, and to boost their compensation to make up for it.

this happens all the time when you have extra tax burdens that your employer creates for you because of your job. my wife works in california for half the week so her enployer increases her pay when california income taxes kick in, for example. this is not hard to understand.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C.H.O.M.E posted:

if the employer says its a free perk and i end up on the hook to just pay for it through taxes, i am bot going to be worning there for long because who knows what other stupid mistakes theyve made that ill be on the hook for.

its 100% the employers fuckup and employees should not be on the hook for it.

if i didnt get a bonus to make up for it and an apology i'd be quitting asap.

they still received the income and it's unfortunate that they didn't understand that it was income, but they're still liable for paying taxes on their income

they'll pay the taxes, and the problem is solved, many of them have already moved on from zynga but that doesn't alter the fact that they received the income

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
alao, once you travel to another state for a year for work, the federal government considers your expenses taxable income as "part of your job" and your employer has to start withholding taxes from your expense reinbursements.

a competent company will increase your pay to compensate or have you take a break for a month so that you have not worked a full year in another state. if not, they sure as poo poo will at least withhold that extra tax and not ask you to cover it in a lump sum at the end of the year becaue they didnt know the law.

this happens all the time at competent companies, zynga is just garbage and full of idiots, and cheap to boot.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Stymie posted:

they still received the income and it's unfortunate that they didn't understand that it was income, but they're still liable for paying taxes on their income

they'll pay the taxes, and the problem is solved, many of them have already moved on from zynga but that doesn't alter the fact that they received the income

yeah theyll pay it, but its still a problem that their employer created and left the employees holdig the bag for in a lump sum, which is beyond lovely and completely incompetent.

it should 100% have been withheld.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the lesson is dont work for zynga.

if i had already left and i got that bill, id be looking through my old employment contract for any mention that these perks were free and 100000% suing them.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C.H.O.M.E posted:

yeah theyll pay it, but its still a problem that their employer created and left the employees holdig the bag for in a lump sum, which is beyond lovely and completely incompetent.

it should 100% have been withheld.

i guess the real tragedy here is that some computer touchers got screwed for once, instead of doing the screwing

somehow, i think they'll get by

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C.H.O.M.E posted:

the lesson is dont work for zynga.

if i had already left and i got that bill, id be looking through my old employment contract for any mention that these perks were free and 100000% suing them.

lol yep, there it is: spend more on a lawsuit than you would have on taxes owed, that's the answer all right

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the issue is not that taxes are due, the issue is that taxable income is not a free perk and it is 100% zyngas fuckup if they said t was a free perk.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Stymie posted:

lol yep, there it is: spend more on a lawsuit than you would have on taxes owed, that's the answer all right

if im gonna be spending that money anyway, id absolutely spend it on a lawsuit.

lol if you are so poor you dont have a probate lawyer on retainer who can handle this for you for a couple billable hours.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 27, 2017

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

ty

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C.H.O.M.E posted:

if im gonna be spending that money anyway, id absolutely spend it on a lawsuit.

lol if you are so poor you dont have a probate lawyer on retainer who can handle this for you for a couple billable hours.

or just pay the taxes you owe on your income, easy peasy

you can whine about the unfairness of having to pay taxes all you want, but just pay them and move on

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

best post in the last two pages.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 27, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
just bombed an interview i think

like it was the whole morning, ended right at lunchtime and i didnt get invited to go have lunch with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

poty posted:

just bombed an interview i think

like it was the whole morning, ended right at lunchtime and i didnt get invited to go have lunch with them

:rip:

• Locked thread