Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

business hammocks posted:

They gave copies of that away at my school and had a guy in a Spiderman suit give a talk at an assembly about abuse. Tone-deaf as poo poo but maybe it helped some kids.

The Hulk is also an abuse survivor as I recall.

Oh wow, I thought that guy was joking about Spidey rape.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

enraged_camel posted:

Sometimes the best way to learn stuff is by putting your ideas and opinions out there and have other people tell you that you are wrong.

I mean we all have gone through that over the years probably, since we're D&D regulars. What kind of poster were you 10 years ago?

I see what you are saying, but frankly you are exaggerating. No one reads these forums and says "oh good, forum poster X said the storm is probably not as bad as people thought, I'm gonna cancel my blood donation tomorrow."

I mean in all honesty Covok made a very honest mistake. I don't think his intention was to "downplay the threat" as you suggest. Like I said he probably just wants to remain positive.

I just don't know how hurricanes work and assumed these things I heard was good news. I wasn't alone on this as, after the thread explained my mistake, my friends were shocked to hear things are just as bad as ever despite the news. Not a lot of people are hurricane experts.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Match your bet with The Gentlemen Rhymer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiRPBCiJg2c&index=3&list=RDxT2iP5Si-Ho

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Fame Douglas posted:

Arpaio has international notoriety, I find it hard to believe most Americans don't know who he is

I mentioned the news last night to a friend from Chicago who moved to DC, and she had no idea who the guy was. Just one anecdote, but if they're not interested in politics then there's a good chance they aren't aware of him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Oh wow, I thought that guy was joking about Spidey rape.

Although the very concept is wrongheaded, it was a brave choice to have Spiderman be a survivor rather than ultimately escaping or just watching a molester groom Harry or something. That at least commits fully to the message.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Terebus posted:

Hi Snowflake, I came while watching jeff in the hurricane. While I was finishing I imagined that my ejaculate was picked up and flown away on the winds of Harvey, reaching the jet stream. Then, by the grace of our lord and savior YAWEH, the ropey strings of white took an impossible trajectory through your window and into your eye.

Now I'm culturally appropriating hip hop by listening to Nas.

PS. You can culturally appropriate me any time.

What the gently caress

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

STAC Goat posted:

There's going to be drama around the Arpiao pardon. They picked the timing of it to hide it and that timing will work short term,

Honestly, it isn't even working in the short-term. They're still running pieces on the pardon on TV, I'm seeing people angry about it and my social media sphere including people who are normally ignorant of the subject, and a few other places. People are noticing this happened and I even heard some people in your life who I know agree with my opinions who were yelling about how scummy they thought it was they tried to hide it with the hurricane.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Arpaio has international notoriety, I find it hard to believe most Americans don't know who he is

I have never met a person - politically active or otherwise - who knows who Arpaio is. There are countless racist slave-supporting cops, sheriffs, prison wardens, etc. I would be shocked if average American knew who their local sheriff is let alone a racist sheriff in Arizona.

I'm not saying this out of pessimistic nothingmattersism, Americans are just painfully ignorant about elected officials outside Congress/their governor.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Terebus posted:

Hi Snowflake, I came while watching jeff in the hurricane. While I was finishing I imagined that my ejaculate was picked up and flown away on the winds of Harvey, reaching the jet stream. Then, by the grace of our lord and savior YAWEH, the ropey strings of white took an impossible trajectory through your window and into your eye.

Now I'm culturally appropriating hip hop by listening to Nas.

PS. You can culturally appropriate me any time.

go back to GBS

Covok
May 27, 2013

Giggy posted:

I have never met a person - politically active or otherwise - who knows who Arpaio is. There are countless racist slave-supporting cops, sheriffs, prison wardens, etc. I would be shocked if average American knew who their local sheriff is let alone a racist sheriff in Arizona.

I'm not saying this out of pessimistic nothingmattersism, Americans are just painfully ignorant about elected officials outside Congress/their governor.

Oh, no one knows who he is. But it seems that the people are getting mad about the principle of the matter and the belief that it is both condoning racism and an attempt to intimidate the independent investigation. I've heard people who make those statements directly in real life. I've also seen that to be the buzz in my social media sphere and a few other places. People don't know who this guy is but they're mad about what he represents.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Gyges posted:

You can't make BBQ based metaphoric comparisons without stating your regional allegiance. I mean, there's crazy fuckers out there who will read someone simile something to Alabama BBQ and nod along with a smile on their face and white sauce on their plate.
For the love of god, a couple of counties in the north part of Alabama have a mayo based sauce for chicken. They are the only ones who do it. Stop saying Alabama BBQ is that. We mostly do pork with no real state defined sauce.

gently caress I'm angry about BBQ.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

It doesn't necessarily matter whether people know who Arpaio is. I think a lot of people will get pissed over the "Trump stealthpardons political ally during hurricane coverage" narrative alone.

Most people don't even remember names, they'll just remember that Trump did some scummy poo poo during a hurricane.

e: beaten kind of

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Covok posted:

Oh, no one knows who he is. But it seems that the people are getting mad about the principle of the matter and the belief that it is both condoning racism and an attempt to intimidate the independent investigation. I've heard people who make those statements directly in real life. I've also seen that to be the buzz in my social media sphere and a few other places. People don't know who this guy is but they're mad about what he represents.

I'm glad he's getting attention and I agree that people are now starting to learn about him but it's only because of Trump. If he wasn't pardoned, he would've served a meaningless sentence and would've remained a bizarre fascist symbol only remembered by news junkies.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Giggy posted:

I'm glad he's getting attention and I agree that people are now starting to learn about him but it's only because of Trump. If he wasn't pardoned, he would've served a meaningless sentence and would've remained a bizarre fascist symbol only remembered by news junkies.

It's worth noting that the people who lived under his rule definitely seem to care. I've seen a lot of people bitching about of 140 million dollars that he apparently cost the taxpayers.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Giggy posted:

Virtually everyone I know that's politically active, and most that aren't, know who Arpaio is. He's got like c-list celebrity level notoriety from making the news for making convicts wear pink underwear and poo poo, it's not like people know who he is because they're memorizing elected officials from random districts.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

what is this?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bottom Liner posted:

what is this?

An organizing area of low pressure that has the chance of developing into a sub-tropical or full-on tropical storm off the coast of Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas, because that particular area of water has become warm enough to become a storm incubator.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

World Famous W posted:

For the love of god, a couple of counties in the north part of Alabama have a mayo based sauce for chicken.

It was an ingredient on Chopped, no less. White barbecue sauce, aptly named in more than one sense.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm loving the whole i'm not fired i quit poo poo. gently caress you gorka.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

"Joke's on you, I get to charge double for TV appearances now since I can call myself a former White House counter-terrorism expert, and I can afford my Moonraker sex fantasy that much quicker. I even had my own Hugo Drax outfit made!"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BIG HEADLINE posted:

An organizing area of low pressure that has the chance of developing into a sub-tropical or full-on tropical storm off the coast of Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas, because that particular area of water has become warm enough to become a storm incubator.

no wonder it won't stop raining here in central florida.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

botany posted:

go back to GBS
Don't kinkshame me. I enjoy cumming into hurricanes. What makes you so much better?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Eagle of Budapest does not flee, Master Chapo. He merely takes flight on the path to greater glory!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

business hammocks posted:

The Eagle of Budapest does not flee, Master Chapo. He merely takes flight on the path to greater glory!

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Terebus posted:

Don't kinkshame me. I enjoy cumming into hurricanes. What makes you so much better?

:gb2gbs:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Terebus posted:

Don't do that to piss soaked hookers. Have some class.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm always up for some dorky rhyming. :allears:

Back to Trump-related matters: I wonder just what it'll end up being the fallout of this whole Arpaio business?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Gorka looks like someone out of Command and Conquer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

no wonder it won't stop raining here in central florida.

Yup. The other bad thing is that if a hurricane ever finds its way into that 'incubator' it could easily strengthen to a major storm, or become a legendary one if it was already powerful, and Georgia, the Carolinas, and Norfolk/Hampton Roads are *woefully* unprepared for a major hurricane. Norfolk getting hit by a Cat 4+ is one of the FEMA 'nightmare scenarios.'

Of course, Pat Robertson claims the only reason Virginia Beach hasn't been hit is because of his ~personal relationship with Gawd~.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Meh it is moderately unlikely to do anything other than make the ocean mildly hazardous then drift across the Atlantic as a low pressure system to moisten the September of the UK.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The numbers on the storm tracks on the right panel are in hours, right?

So, probably nothing majory but potentially could water the East Coast

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/901525565512925184

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

you know he dead

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

farraday posted:

Meh it is moderately unlikely to do anything other than make the ocean mildly hazardous then drift across the Atlantic as a low pressure system to moisten the September of the UK.

The Carolinas are replete with giant lagoons of pig poo poo that flood and poison lakes, streams, and reservoirs that flood whenever an atypical amount of rain falls because :bahgawd: BIG GUBBERMINT CAIN'T TELL ME HOWTA RAISE MAH HOGS :bahgawd:.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/25/opinion/north-carolinas-noxious-pig-farms.html

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Well, I was not expecting that sound to issue from a human shoulder today.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

KickerOfMice posted:

Well, I was not expecting that sound to issue from a human shoulder today.

yeah that was a pretty nasty crack noise

maybe don't pick fights with someone who knows how to do a takedown throw when you're gonna land on concrete

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

poo poo. When he got behind him and sunk low I knew what was coming and I still wasn't prepared for it.

But, uh, if the text is true - he was a white supremacist and he started it - then black dude did noooothing wrong.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BAH GAWD HE'S BEEN BROKEN CLEAN IN etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

poo poo. When he got behind him and sunk low I knew what was coming and I still wasn't prepared for it.

But, uh, if the text is true - he was a white supremacist and he started it - then black dude did noooothing wrong.

yeah I should've clarified I'm not expressing sympathy, shithead got what he deserved

• Locked thread