Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

I can't tell if Nat Wolff is the best actor or the worst. His performance in Death Note was loving hilarious. From his screams to his run. I was cracking up.

I love Wingard enough to believe it was intentional.

unless like half his lines are adlibs, it was totally deliberate and it owned super hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I remember struggling with Pattern Recognition, but I respect what he was trying to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ah2mwo1oM

Pattern Recognition is one of my favorites. I need to finish that trilogy.

Pattern Recognition is actually just a non-cyberpunk remake half of his earlier book, Count Zero.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I remember having the feeling reading that it was basically DeLillo but a little worse. But I was probably being uncharitable

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Hahaha holy poo poo how did I forget about this? How do I not think about this 24/7?

Also, can we talk about how good Benny Safdie was in Good Time? Maybe I'm just a sucker for that kind of character but god drat he had me on the verge of tears even for the half of the movie he's not in.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is that Unforgiven remake with Ken Watanabe still on the way? Nothin' on his IMDB...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Budgie Jumping posted:

Also, can we talk about how good Benny Safdie was in Good Time? Maybe I'm just a sucker for that kind of character but god drat he had me on the verge of tears even for the half of the movie he's not in.

He's so good that he makes you root for Pattinson even though Pattinson does nothing good whatsoever.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've never read any DeLillo. Should I?

Here is the dog costume:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
^^^Couldn't get through Underworld when I tried it a few years back, but White Noise is fun.

He's so good that he makes you root for Pattinson even though Pattinson does nothing good whatsoever.

While at the same time making you hate him for putting him in that position to begin with.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

Here is the dog costume:

It was a Whippet.

They did re-do it with a bit of CGI for the Assembly Cut.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

They did re-do it with a bit of CGI for the Assembly Cut.

I loving KNEW IT

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Apparently Midsomer, from Midsomer Murders, has about the same murder rate as Chile. Which really makes you wonder why anyone would want to live there, maybe all the murder keeps the property prices insanely low so people move in to the murder village for economic reasons.

The fictional Caribbean island from the series Death in Paradise doesn't fair much better either. It's at a point where if you are invited to the island clearly somebody wants you dead. It's a horrible place to commit murder too, since the culprits always get busted. You almost wonder if the reputation of the homicide detectives hasn't encouraged the population to stick to just maiming people.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that Unforgiven remake with Ken Watanabe still on the way? Nothin' on his IMDB...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2347134/

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 26, 2017

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
That dog costume is hilarious but what im remembering was blatant CGI. Im not sure which cut its from.

Covenant ruled though. I feel like David was a stand-in for Ridley Scott.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

That dog costume is hilarious but what im remembering was blatant CGI. Im not sure which cut its from.

You sure you're not thinking of Alien Resurrection?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The show Hannibal takes place in an alternate reality where multiple serial killers with dozens of victims are caught by the FBI every year. The media there must be absolutely buzzing with how crazy it is. "last month's story of a guy who killed 14 people and made a totem pole out of their bodies has been one-upped: A new killer has killed 23 people and arranged their bodies in a mural"

edit: This is the scene that we think had CGI added for the Assembly Cut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu5WZpx77fE. If that's not CGI near the end, then the rest of the rod puppet work later in the movie looks about 100 times worse than this.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Contrary to popular myth, the Dragon was not portrayed through the use of computer-generated imagery, with the exception of a single shot of the creature's head cracking before it explodes at the end of the film.[6] CGI was also used for a shot of the infant Dragon running away from its dead host in the Special Edition of the film, although this sequence was completed many years later specially for the alternate version's release.[7]

Thanks, Alien versus Predator wiki for this very important information

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rumor Control: here are the facts.

The Alien in 3 when it bursts out of the of IS CGI. It was added in for the 2003 Assembly Cut.

Every other Alien effect is a badly composited rod puppet due to lack of time.

Apparently Covenant's effects were rushed as well.

There is very little practical work left in Covenant, as it was completely painted over by CGI. Which I think is a horrible shame.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

edit: This is the scene that we think had CGI added for the Assembly Cut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu5WZpx77fE.

It's a dog in the theatrical cut. Bursts out of an ox in the Assembly Cut. The birth scene was redone with CGI in the Assembly Cut, as CP noted.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Budgie Jumping posted:

You sure you're not thinking of Alien Resurrection?

Hmm maybe.

Also, this owns. I hope this guy doesnt get prosecuted:

https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/901525565512925184

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Hmm maybe.

:aaa:

When it comes to racist's spines, I guess, black does crack.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Death Note rules. Absolutely my favorite Wingard so far.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Pattern Recognition is one of my favorites. I need to finish that trilogy.

Pattern Recognition is actually just a non-cyberpunk remake half of his earlier book, Count Zero.

Pattern Recognition is also out of development hell again, with Tim Miller (Deadpool) attached to direct.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hmm maybe.

The nazi should have put on the glasses.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Pattern Recognition is also out of development hell again, with Tim Miller (Deadpool) attached to direct.

Eh... I don't really have any interest in a film adaption. I don't think many of the ideas would translate well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SHOOTO~

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Finally watched Rogue One and can't hate it due to years of supressed Star Wars nostalgia bursting forth, but that must be an absolutely pointless movie to see out of context.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Double feature to take your mind off America for a few hours

24 Hour Party People x Kill Your Friends

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

It's in theaters. I saw it an AMC, so you might be able to catch it before it's gone.

This is just a politic way of saying he ran out of ideas or imagination because the motifs of cyberpunk aren't really a set of predictions or whatever.

Nope, but I have read lots of other Bruce Sterling short stories.

I think cyberpunk sorta died when Cryptonomican came out with a concept for a cyber currency backed in gold bullion,and 5 years later Bitcoin happened.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

I think cyberpunk sorta died when Cryptonomican came out with a concept for a cyber currency backed in gold bullion,and 5 years later Bitcoin happened.

Well, I mean, how many real world concepts were directly inspired by speculative fiction?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Well, I mean, how many real world concepts were directly inspired by speculative fiction?

My point was that Cryptonomican was ridiculous, and the actual thing was 3 times more ridiculous. Whatever happens next is going to be worse than whatever dystopia someone can come up with.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

My point was that Cryptonomican was ridiculous, and the actual thing was 3 times more ridiculous. Whatever happens next is going to be worse than whatever dystopia someone can come up with.

Soylent is a particularly funny example of this.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Soylent has like 12 varieties now. They're just slowly reinventing food; soon they'll be touting the new advancement of soylent you can cook.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soylent is a particularly funny example of this.

Exactly, there's a reason William Gibson stopped trying to predict the future even though he was better at it than almost anyone else.

Slightly related, just read The Midwich Cuckoos, that was a harrowing book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Soylent has like 12 varieties now. They're just slowly reinventing food; soon they'll be touting the new advancement of soylent you can cook.

You joke, but Lyft and Uber are currently trying to invent busses.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

married but discreet posted:

Finally watched Rogue One and can't hate it due to years of supressed Star Wars nostalgia bursting forth, but that must be an absolutely pointless movie to see out of context.

It's a murderously boring movie if you're not the kind of person who nuts when they hear the phrase "death star".

edit: Rogue One is the movie equivalent of people on facebook who do nothing but share those Memory posts.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

married but discreet posted:

I would have thought knowing the full story would have made it feel more pointless.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

I would have thought knowing the full story would have made it feel more pointless.

I knew there was a reason why I didn't like Sunset Blvd. or Lincoln.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
ATJ double feature idea:

Gareth Edwards' Godzilla x Doug Liman's The Wall

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Egbert Souse posted:

I knew there was a reason why I didn't like Sunset Blvd. or Lincoln.

Personally, I only watch movies that take place tomorrow.

I also just watched The Void, violating my own principals. But it's OK as The Void was good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Exactly, there's a reason William Gibson stopped trying to predict the future even though he was better at it than almost anyone else.

Slightly related, just read The Midwich Cuckoos, that was a harrowing book.

Gibson would say he was never trying to predict the future. But yeah, I get what you mean.

edit: holy gently caress these spicy beef tacos I learned how to cook from Blue Apron are like my new favorite food. This whole new condiment group I've been learning about that's basically seasoned sour cream is amazing.

sauteed corn, lime zest, olive oil, and sour cream makes an amazing creamy base for beef cooked with some chipotles and tomato paste. topped with fresh salsa made from tomatoes, lime juice, and jalapenos.

This is literally the best taco I've ever had.

Snak fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

ATJ double feature idea:

Gareth Edwards' Godzilla x Doug Liman's The Wall

Do you imagine he's playing the same character?

• Locked thread