Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I wish MoMa would start posting already. At least the CIG presentation had a countdown of sorts and you knew they start 30-60 minutes late.
Part of me wonders if he will post a refund email. Probably not though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

No, this is a tip from someone who has played far too much of this poo poo - me
If you see a chariot that has dust flying out from under it when it has landed it has entered 'Jitter Mode' and will be impossible to enter / try to kill you. I saw that coming a mile off when sand dust was spewing out of the thing after it landed.
It's like a rattlesnake rattling its tail, but instead of impending death it's impending lols

At that moment on discord when we were all watching the car thing die on the ramp, we nearly died laughing. Good times.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
Erris: "I think we can say that This is the best presentation CIG has ever put on. Agree?"

Everyone else: ".............................no"

Erris: "Well name one then"

Some dude: "Last year"

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Boxturret posted:

I love how that mock mission failed at literally every single point.

The mission was super simple, all it included was: get quest from npc, jump to planet, retrieve item, fight off enemies, board friendly ship and leave planet with item, fight more enemies, win. Yet the npc was only visible to one of the players, the jump crashed the game, the item was invisible to the guy carrying it, the shot missed the enemy which then teleport ed and exploded, the ramp killed the rover and the quest item, then the bad guy ship self destructed to make it look like they won.

You make it sounds like Star Citizen became self-aware and instantly got an existential crisis.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Klyith posted:

There are still places like PC Gamer that have a true believer on staff and give them regular sloppy blowjobs. But a lot of press has moved to a "we don't talk about star citizen" policy -- they don't want to report Crobbler's promises uncritically, but they also don't want to push the doomed project story until they actually see the flames. So from that whole rambling buggy Gamescom presentation, the one thing that can be reported from a neutral standpoint is the facecam partnership.

If the wheels literally and figuratively falling off during the presentation is not laughing stock time, what counts as flames at this point? Paychecks bouncing, lawsuits being filed, developer crunched into going postal? I don't actually wish for it but I am really surprised there's never been a video game workplace shooting.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

No, this is a tip from someone who has played far too much of this poo poo - me
If you see a chariot that has dust flying out from under it when it has landed it has entered 'Jitter Mode' and will be impossible to enter / try to kill you. I saw that coming a mile off when sand dust was spewing out of the thing after it landed.
It's like a rattlesnake rattling its tail, but instead of impending death it's impending lols

Would taking off and landing again have helped?

You should become a DemoPlayer for Crobbers, your unholy knowledge of the engine should allow you to steer clear of more crashes than hapless Paul.
Crobbers would pay you well in JPEGs. The JPEGs of Fear.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

Erris: "I think we can say that This is the best presentation CIG has ever put on. Agree?"

Everyone else: ".............................no"

Erris: "Well name one then"

Some dude: "Last year"

Erris is a loving moron

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Erris is a real asset

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

peter gabriel posted:

Erris is a real rear end

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Which anime nerd is gonna stab Croberts for raping Akira ? Will it be me ?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Wasn't he having a crisis of identity and a rage fit a few months ago? Mentioning how CIG's demos were all faked and that was ok in the past, but not now?

I guess after the meltdown, he finally accepted his place in this shitshow. Be a shill and proud of it.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

With the new foip/voip tech, will I be able to live my childhood dream and control the face box of Gary Oldman?

Will I finally be able to be the Parpper and not the Parpped?

Dare I dream?

:gary:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

runsamok posted:

Or, like the Big Benny machines, Eckhart is actually currently entirely client-side.

If he was client-side then both players would be able to see him.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:homebrew:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Eckhart probably said "gently caress this" and left the table.

Although the other players couldn't see the subsumption.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

What made you think that it would have been a good idea to zoom on one of our infiltrated o9 ?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Boxturret posted:

I love how that mock mission failed at literally every single point.

The mission was super simple, all it included was: get quest from npc, jump to planet, retrieve item, fight off enemies, board friendly ship and leave planet with item, fight more enemies, win. Yet the npc was only visible to one of the players, the jump crashed the game, the item was invisible to the guy carrying it, the shot missed the enemy which then teleport ed and exploded, the ramp killed the rover and the quest item, then the bad guy ship self destructed to make it look like they won.
I don't think you can even include "fight off enemies" as part of the mission -- they literally had other players sitting in a basement waiting to show up, blow up a ship, pretend to shoot at the rover, and then gently caress off. The actual mission was just "get quest, jump to planet, retrieve item, leave planet." Which is actually a really difficult mission, given how buggy quantum travel is and how often the game crashes, but come the gently caress on.

Everything else they showed was a community theater production of Chris Roberts' "Hollywood Star Citizen Sizzle Reel Dreams", complete with lovely dialogue I'm sure he wrote himself, and hamhanded stage directions like "follow the rover when it drives in circles around a rock and wait for the railgun shot before blowing up your ship." It was a bunch of people theorycrafting about what a mission could be, if only the game could actually support one.

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 26, 2017

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Kosumo posted:

With the new foip/voip tech, will I be able to live my childhood dream and control the face box of Gary Oldman?

Will I finally be able to be the Parpper and not the Parpped?

Dare I dream?

:gary:

How can we tell the parper from the parp?

The inglorious demise of the rover makes me laugh so hard every single time. Poor little rover, it did its best. :patriot:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

EminusSleepus posted:

you need to expand, checkout the guy in the green shirt

We know from who sandy sucks the life force now.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

trucutru posted:

If he was client-side then both players would be able to see him.

This isn't the way Big Benny machines or any of the floating debris works though. It's all entirely generated client-side & the server knows diddly-squat about it moment-to-moment.

2.6.3 Live: One player pushes a glowing noodle machine only they can see.

3.1 Gamescom Demo: One player has a conversation with an NPC only they can see & then goes to get a box that once again, only they can see.

No fancy server infrastructure or bespoke code or whatever needed, just CIG being CIG & cutting corners the same way they have been for years.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I started to reply, then realized I don't give a poo poo and these idiots deserve to be scammed. They won't learn, they won't care, and it's not worth the effort.

At this point I just like to make them feel bad. It's like intellectual surgery. Find out where to make the incision, and start cutting. If you do it right, you'll make them feel unsettled and sad somewhere deep in their subconscious.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So I'm not a network engineer but I need to deal with network traffic issues.

Is adding in voip a good idea when your game already has issues with network traffic?

And then on top of that, now you're also trying to measure and transmit nuanced facial recognition across the same connection?

Is this doable or are they just going crazy with what they seem to believe they can do across somebody's normal hardware and normal internet connection?

This stuff may work in a closed LAN environment run by super computers, but somebody tell me this is possible; and not only that but possible in an MMO setting?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:laffo: *removed

Let's see how long this one lasts

CIG Considering hiring a professional marketing person!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6w81sw/cig_consider_hiring_a_professional_marketing/

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Galarox posted:

Bleurgh. Well - last night was fun. Nursing a hangover atm. I really cant believe what I saw last night, I dont think I have laughed so hard for ages. Thanks to all the goons on discord for making it so memorable :)

Unless you have sat through it again, carefully broken it down, made notes etc, you won’t really be able to reconcile the fact that - this was basically the same poo poo from over a YEAR ago with some minor bits added. Some people keep thinking that we’re pissed about or making fun of the crashes and so on. No, it’s a LOT more than that. After six years and $156M, any publisher would have canceled this crap by now, rather than parading it at a major event.

They can’t get ramps working in an fps game.

They have to cheat in order progress through a mission.

The mission not only failed, but they never even completed the full loop.

Then, sloppy things like what I wrote on my Discord channel. If you noticed here at the 1:29:07 mark when the Mobiglass appears, the arms are different. Someone on Discord thought it was a suit change. It’s not a suit change. I believe that second arm is the model that has the mobiglass attached, and it doesn’t match the actual player model suit. It’s like a weapon switch. This means that the arm with the mobiglass is separate from the player model. Just like how we do high (1st person view) vs low (3rd person view) weapons in fps games.

And the view color change could be due to the fact that they are applying a full-screen filter to the fps view when you have a helmet/visor on.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:vince:
:five::five::five::five:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Titanic posted:

Is adding in voip a good idea when your game already has issues with network traffic?

And then on top of that, now you're also trying to measure and transmit nuanced facial recognition across the same connection?

Is this doable or are they just going crazy with what they seem to believe they can do across somebody's normal hardware and normal internet connection?

This stuff may work in a closed LAN environment run by super computers, but somebody tell me this is possible; and not only that but possible in an MMO setting?

No. The best part of this shitshow is besides it running locally, our Lord Roberts proclaimed there would have persistence. Hell you thought lag was bad, imagine trying to store all this crap in some DB with atomic type transactions that need to commit to a DB.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 26, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Titanic posted:

Funny thing: back when CCP were in the early days of their “Walking in Stations” (WiS) project, they were wrestling with those problems too and decided that character-centred audio would be a (much) later issue that would also have to be entirely voluntary. Not just because everyone would have to choose whether their network could stand that extra traffic or not, but also because of another hard-earned lesson: always design with goons in mind.

Their worry was less about the network traffic — that could probably be solved with a different server layer, much like any chat channel. The real issue was how to protect people against 500 goons running at them while yelling “Allah-Hu-Akbar” in full glorious positional audio. Likewise, from the get-go, they had to start thinking of ways to keep the same 500 goons from clogging up every door and not letting anyone through. So what has CIG learned from this decade-old story? Oh… :ohdear:

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Quavers posted:

Gamescom cost a backer $200

:ohdear:

Nice of him to update the post. I was curious who received the $200 worth of ship.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Oh yeah, someone wrote about this over on FDev, before he rage quit and said he's getting a refund now

quote:

Welp, at least that livestream last night answered one of my biggest questions...

Q:How are they going to handle a Miles Eckhart type mission 'cutscene' in a multiplayer environment, will people have to wait in line? Will they all see him individually?
A: Only one of you can actually see or interact with him.

PLAYER 1

PLAYER 2

PLAYER1 // Player 1 again, carefully avoiding looking at Eckhart, but not quickly enough

Tbh me and my friends had a great evening with a ton of laughs, was too funny to make up.
Hilariously failing facial expressions, awful space turret combat, glorious physics failures, not a single glimpse of professions or core gameplay mechanics.
Just great.

That's it for me tbh, they really wasted the last chance they had to show me this was someday going to turn into an actual game.
I'm gonna get my 30 bucks out and throw it at Hellblade - Senua's Sacrifice instead, funding some actual game developers making an actual high quality game.

Might still read up here from time to time, but other than that I'll start following the project again if it hasn't dissolved yet by 2020

Special thanks to Roland for providing us with summaries for all these years!
Toodles to the rest of you o7

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Tippis posted:

The real issue was how to protect people against 500 goons running at them while yelling “Allah-Hu-Akbar” in full glorious positional audio. Likewise, from the get-go, they had to start thinking of ways to keep the same 500 goons from clogging up every door and not letting anyone through. So what has CIG learned from this decade-old story? Oh… :ohdear:

That goons ruin everything

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Also I totally want to have to stare at a webcam (RSI webcam only, play) to play a game. Usually this is for dedicated stuff like arms, with TrackIR where it makes sense to have because it's an actual simulation. Not in a dumb video game so people can see my expression.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but when I play games I sort of have this dumb deer look on my face.

Also, this stuff just keeps getting worse and worse for people with hearing loss. It's already impossible to play team games online, but not being able to play something like Elite: Dangerous is just crazy.

For the past several years games have been doing good to support people with poor hearing, by adding in good subtitles, even for "environment chatter" in some cases. They added in "grenade icons" and other great stuff that has helped people like me try to get more involved.

I'm not saying every game needs to do this, but it seems like SC is just killing the demographics and accessibility options.

It's all moot really though because I don't think we'll ever actually see SC release.

Of all the priorities for CIG, I'm glad they focused on render to texture, and implemented a facial recognition middle ware device. This is clearly what the masses have been asking for. Basically "more ways for motion capture to work!" has been what everybody interested in Star Citizen has been begging for since day 0.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The Titanic posted:

I'm not saying every game needs to do this, but it seems like SC is just killing the demographics and accessibility options.

I mean the universe of SC is pretty much just more technocrat worship so this is unsurprising.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.twitch.tv/theastropub

:yarg:

e: page taxxe

Quavers fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 26, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

This is no longer the worst crowdfunding project that ever happened. Some Danish guy crowdfunded a submarine and beheaded a journalist on-board, then sunk the craft. Have fun.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.5a9465d41378

I heard about this and it is horrible and I have no idea why somebody would do something like this.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

None of this poo poo is new. Someone even linked the video a few pages back of the same face capture tech being used in Everquest 2. It's amazing that they just keep bolting on old tech from the past and saying 'look how hard it is to make games with all this never before seen stuff!!" and these idiots keep buying it.

The ones who haven't gotten a refund by this point deserve to ride into this money pit for a few more years before being left with nothing.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Trilobite posted:

I don't think you can even include "fight off enemies" as part of the mission -- they literally had other players sitting in a basement waiting to show up, blow up a ship, pretend to shoot at the rover, and then gently caress off. The actual mission was just "get quest, jump to planet, retrieve item, leave planet." Which is actually a really difficult mission, given how buggy quantum travel is and how often the game crashes, but come the gently caress on.

Everything else they showed was a community theater production of Chris Roberts' "Hollywood Star Citizen Sizzle Reel Dreams", complete with lovely dialogue I'm sure he wrote himself, and hamhanded stage directions like "follow the rover when it drives in circles around a rock and wait for the railgun shot before blowing up your ship." It was a bunch of people theorycrafting about what a mission could be, if only the game could actually support one.

Oh I was interpreting the pilot, pirates, and rescue people as being stand ins for their amazing ai....you're supposed to look at that thing as how actual player interaction would go?:pwn:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Boxturret posted:

Oh I was interpreting the pilot, pirates, and rescue people as being stand ins for their amazing ai....you're supposed to look at that thing as how actual player interaction would go?:pwn:

The shitizens are calling it a demo of the "opposing quests" feature.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I love the idea of the opposing quests feature in a world that also promises to have a PvP slider.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Boxturret posted:

Oh I was interpreting the pilot, pirates, and rescue people as being stand ins for their amazing ai....
I interpreted it the same way, and it just made me wonder how badly hosed their progress on AI is if they can't even try to put anything between the player and the box. A stationary turret. A guy with a crowbar who just runs at you. A loving banana peel. Anything at all.

If the "opposing quest" narrative reddit's concocted is actually what CIG was trying to do with that, the whole thing just gets worse. "LFG to try and stop me and my buddy from picking up a box -- anyone? please? we promise to land really far away from the site so you can have time to set up, you promise to not start shooting until we've confirmed that at least one of us can see the box and interact with it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

In case you missed it - here is the complete presentation accompanied by audio of Goons laughing their asses off, and Derek Smart shouting "I FUCKIN CALLED IT"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3DCbvu-uF4o