Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vkeios
May 7, 2007

Guys I checked a list of games Square made and I can confirm they made no bad games for the PlayStation 1.

On the other hand, they made exactly one terrible game for the SNES.

So I guess Nintendo Sux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Well that's more than enough time to finish Parasite Eve. :v:

I wish there were more dense games that end before they hit the teens. Supergiant are the ones carrying that torch forward.

Harlock posted:

Where's my Parasite Eve remake

I'm legit interested in the Fear Effect remake but only if they keep the cel shaded style.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harlock posted:

Where's my Parasite Eve remake

I'd like to remind you of the last reinvention attempt of Parasite Eve.

Also it's a licensed property related to a Japanese novel, so there's that licensing quagmire to navigate.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Harlock posted:

Where's my Vagrant Story remake

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

vkeios posted:

Guys I checked a list of games Square made and I can confirm they made no bad games for the PlayStation 1.

I know you're joking, but Square's output for the Famicom Disk System is essentially a list of terrible games.

Also, Vagrant Story is the good tactical RPG that Square released for the PS1. :colbert:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

vkeios posted:

On the other hand, they made exactly one terrible game for the SNES.

What do you consider the terrible SNES game?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ofecks posted:

What do you consider the terrible SNES game?

mystic quest

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Parasite Eve 2

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I know you're joking, but Square's output for the Famicom Disk System is essentially a list of terrible games.

Also, Vagrant Story is the good tactical RPG that Square released for the PS1. :colbert:

It is a good tactical RPG, yes.

Sir Tonk posted:

mystic quest

Mystic Quest is average at worst shuttup.

Ostentatious posted:

Parasite Eve 2

Certified good game, it has my seal of approval.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd like to remind you of the last reinvention attempt of Parasite Eve.

Also it's a licensed property related to a Japanese novel, so there's that licensing quagmire to navigate.

Who is more thirsty for their protagonist, the third birthday guy and Aya or Final Fantasy Lightning guy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harlock posted:

Who is more thirsty for their protagonist, the third birthday guy and Aya or Final Fantasy Lightning guy.

Idk if you're joking but thats the same guy

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

In Training posted:

Idk if you're joking but thats the same guy

I didn't know. That's crazy. (Now makes sense.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also he was thirsty for Eve (who was 12) in Aya's body, so

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sir Tonk posted:

mystic quest

You are a bad person with bad opinions :arghfist:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A remake of Mystic Quest would legit do great today because of how it in a weird way foretold modern cheap JRPGs and mobile games with its hub areas of grinding monsters before going to the one dungeon in each place. It has some cool things in it though, I like games where you have a variety of items/weapons that are useful throughout instead of a linear progression of stuff, and things like the climbing gloves.

It's technically a mediocre game it's fun and has an awesome soundtrack and some cool things going on in it, I really got into it back in the day even after playing FF4.

But man :laffo: I don't think Mystic Quest would even make a list of say, the 50 worst SNES games. There's a ton of dogshit on the SNES just like on almost every system and that quantity of dogshit quintuples if you count stuff that never left Japan. Mystic Quest wouldn't even make a list of the 50 worst games made by Square.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Mystic Quest is a boring trifle that feels as though nobody wanted to make it, but it served as a warning that not every Square game would be Final Fantasy IV.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Mystic Quest wouldn't even make a list of the 50 worst games made by Square.

I am now officially interested in what the worst ever games from square are

and the other major companies too come to think of it

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_video_games

ee: actually, there are only 56 games on that list that got released in north america, so if you don't count stuff that's only in japan, there's a pretty solid chance it winds up in the bottom 50

hexwren fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 27, 2017

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
The only PS1 Square game I truly regretted buying was SaGa Frontier

(And went onto buy Unlimited SaGa on PS2, which was even worse)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I did not know that Square made Rad Racer.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Square had been making games for a while before the first Final Fantasy, which was in fact named that way because the company was in serious financial trouble and that game was the last one they were going to release before shuttering...then it accidentally became a mega-hit and saved the company.

Post-Final Fantasy, their objectively worst product was Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within since that nearly killed the company.

The games at the bottom of their Metacritic profile I've actually heard of:

Final Fantasy: All The Bravest (Mobile) - 25
Unlimited Saga (PS2) - 45
Final Fantasy XIV Online 1.0 (PC) - 49, this is probably their "costliest" bad game
Murdered: Soul Suspect (Various platforms) - 51 (Xbox One) or 59 (PC and PS4), game is also on PS3 and Xbox 360 but doesn't have a distinct Metacritic score on those platforms

I know on PS1 they had some iffy stuff depending on expectations too, Saga Frontier 1 IIRC was straight-up unfinished for example.

Off the top of my head Nintendo had some really poorly-received games recently, like Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, and I think the Tennis game on 3DS.

Sega is probably Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
King's Knight is godawful and came out in the US on the NES. For a while growing up I thought it was the worst Square game, then I learned about the PC88........

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

univbee posted:

Square had been making games for a while before the first Final Fantasy, which was in fact named that way because the company was in serious financial trouble and that game was the last one they were going to release before shuttering...then it accidentally became a mega-hit and saved the company.

Post-Final Fantasy, their objectively worst product was Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within since that nearly killed the company.

The games at the bottom of their Metacritic profile I've actually heard of:

Final Fantasy: All The Bravest (Mobile) - 25
Unlimited Saga (PS2) - 45
Final Fantasy XIV Online 1.0 (PC) - 49, this is probably their "costliest" bad game
Murdered: Soul Suspect (Various platforms) - 51 (Xbox One) or 59 (PC and PS4), game is also on PS3 and Xbox 360 but doesn't have a distinct Metacritic score on those platforms

I know on PS1 they had some iffy stuff depending on expectations too, Saga Frontier 1 IIRC was straight-up unfinished for example.

Off the top of my head Nintendo had some really poorly-received games recently, like Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, and I think the Tennis game on 3DS.

Sega is probably Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

The Spirits WIthin is awesome. Unrelated to the rest of the stuff in your post I guess.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also if we're counting Enix games, then definitely Lolita Syndrome.

In Training posted:

The Spirits WIthin is awesome. Unrelated to the rest of the stuff in your post I guess.

It was absolutely incredible visually but its failure at the box office really hosed Square hard. Their games didn't approach that level of disaster other than maybe the launch version of FF14.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm gonna say Square's worst games are FF8 (in the "ambitiously bad" category) and Ehrgeiz (in the "what were they thinking" category)

King's Knight is bad but at least it's a coherent gameplay experience

or something

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Allen Wren posted:

I'm gonna say Square's worst games are FF8 (in the "ambitiously bad" category) and Ehrgeiz (in the "what were they thinking" category)

this is correct

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I remember being in awe of Spirits Within when it came out but I don't really remember anything about it now. A good movie, still...?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

I am now officially interested in what the worst ever games from square are

I am not going to post a screen cap from Square's Tom Sawyer in this thread. Please google it and then share your horrified reaction.

For most other companies I have to think a bit, but Nintendo it has to be Other M just because it's such a cruel betrayal of the Metroid series. Name an aspect of Metroid that people like and that game got it wrong in the worst way possible.

Sega's worst game, OTOH, is really tough for me since they've thrown a lot more against the wall over the years and maybe one-third of it stuck.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Allen Wren posted:

King's Knight is bad but at least it's a coherent gameplay experience

or something

FF8 is good, drat it. :smith:

It just has hilariously broken mechanics, a really weirdly delivered narrative and it does a really lousy job of getting its points across. The currently running FF8 thread does a great job to properly express what's going on and has made me appreciate it way, way more. So if you ignore 75% of FF8, it's a great game. :v:

Ehrgeiz... well... I liked it at the time, because hey, people from FF7 are in another game! I haven't played it in a really long time, maybe I won't give it another try now.

e. Wow I forgot Ehrgeiz had that many FF7 characters in it, huh.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 27, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mycophobia posted:

I remember being in awe of Spirits Within when it came out but I don't really remember anything about it now. A good movie, still...?

It wasn't a good movie then. I saw the opening matinée and left disturbed at what an incoherent mess it was.

Spirits Within has a bad case of anime plotting and stinks of Japanese producers controlling the international release. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen (I've seen a lot of terrible films) but it was memorable as a train wreck.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 27, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm trying to think of any really bad games that I owned that I or my parents spent money on.

Cyberia and Mega Man X7 are the only ones that really come to mind.

Cyberia is more or less completely forgotten and is a pre-rendered 3D adventure game in a cyberpunk setting. I only had it because it came with our first computer, and IBM Aptiva in 1995. But because it was published by Interplay, it also came with a shareware version of Descent. But I love the poo poo out Cyberia enough that the first LP I ever did was of that game and one of the two random goons I got to commentate on it by coincidence lived not far away from me and we're close friends now. So I got something out of it.

Mega Man X7 might be the worst video game I have ever spent my own money on and yet I don't have the same level of vitriol for it that it rightfully deserves. Axl sucks and the controls suck. The optimal way to play it is to unlock X as fast as you can and use him to clear out the stage and Zero to beat bosses because he doesn't need weapon energy to use them. Soundtrack's okay, at least. Somehow I can tolerate this game even though it's really bad to play, but one could argue that X6 is even worse.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

mycophobia posted:

I saw it in the theaters and found the CGI pretty amazing, but I just remember getting to the end credits and being like "I could literally not tell you anything that happened in that movie." It slid off my brainpan like teflon. Hearing L'Arc-en-Ciel on big movie theater speakers during the end credits was pretty rad, though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

It wasn't a good movie then. I saw the opening matinée and left disturbed at what an incoherent mess it was.

I saw a screening a few days before its official opening and yeah, objectively as a movie it was extremely bad in several respects. As advanced as the effects were it was still poo poo tier in terms of acting and story and the other things that actually matter if you want to get box office numbers.

Random Stranger posted:

It's not the worst movie I've ever seen (I've seen a lot of terrible films) but it was memorable as a train wreck.

You could almost argue that's worse. Truly terrible films have that whole schlock attraction and are usually memorable. I agree that it's not the worst movie I've ever seen but it's pretty drat close to the most forgettable, I also couldn't tell you a drat thing about that movie and I'm the kind of person who can almost recite a movie's script verbatim after seeing a movie once.

univbee fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 27, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Star Man posted:

I'm trying to think of any really bad games that I owned that I or my parents spent money on.

Cyberia and Mega Man X7 are the only ones that really come to mind.

Cyberia is more or less completely forgotten and is a pre-rendered 3D adventure game in a cyberpunk setting. I only had it because it came with our first computer, and IBM Aptiva in 1995. But because it was published by Interplay, it also came with a shareware version of Descent. But I love the poo poo out Cyberia enough that the first LP I ever did was of that game and one of the two random goons I got to commentate on it by coincidence lived not far away from me and we're close friends now. So I got something out of it.

Mega Man X7 might be the worst video game I have ever spent my own money on and yet I don't have the same level of vitriol for it that it rightfully deserves. Axl sucks and the controls suck. The optimal way to play it is to unlock X as fast as you can and use him to clear out the stage and Zero to beat bosses because he doesn't need weapon energy to use them. Soundtrack's okay, at least. Somehow I can tolerate this game even though it's really bad to play, but one could argue that X6 is even worse.

bad games i own include ff8, sonic adventure (which i kinda like despite it being poo poo), sonic adventure 2 (see previous), sonic 2006, eternal sonata, star wars rogue squadron 3, mass effect 3, army of two: the devil's cartel, outpost, and some godawful dbz fighting game for the super famicom i don't know the actual name of cause it's in a language i don't understand

of those ff8 is far and away the worst, though army of two: tdc is impressively fuckin terrible in its own right as well and i feel it doesn't get enough credit for being as awful as it is. maybe 'cause nobody played it but still.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I remember Spirits Within being boring as poo poo with little action and a lot of bad dialog. Something about unkillable aliens that steal your soul by touching you and there's no real way to fight them, not an interesting concept for me. I remember Titan AE more vividly than Spirits Within.

e: Also never trust anyone who put FF8 anywhere near on a list of worst games like c'mon people.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I rented Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within in 2001 when I was fourteen.

I don't remember anything about it except for the line about how hard it was to track a bird with a satellite.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

It just has hilariously broken mechanics,

sure, "hilarious"

totally "hilarious" that I wasted an entire summer playing through it without really grasping what I was supposed to do such that the random encounters only got worse, happening more and more often...not knowing I had to draw spells from bosses (because you stock up on poo poo BEFORE you fight a boss, why would I spend rounds not buffing/debuffing, dealing damage or healing myself?) and basically winning fights by summoning GFs and breaking my thumb rapid-firing on the boost ability --- and then finding myself having saved my game on lunatic pandora right before the final fujin/raijin fight, which I could not beat, nor could I go back and grind up.

like sixty-plus hours in a summer where my mother would only let me play for like a half hour at a time before yelling at me to do some kind of a chore or just to go outside

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Code Jockey posted:

I liked the mechanics, the graphics and sound were ok, but I found everything else (setting, characters, story) to be festering dogshit. I played through it anyway, with the strategy guide, to break the game in two, but I don't think I'll ever revisit it on my own.

Random Stranger posted:

I and the person I saw it with both agreed it was awful and disappointing and we never spoke of it again.

e: I was 21, if that matters.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 27, 2017

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Spirits Within has a bad case of anime plotting and stinks of Japanese producers controlling the international release. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen (I've seen a lot of terrible films) but it was memorable as a train wreck.

to be fair I was like twelve when I saw it in theaters

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I just saw the cgi and was like "god drat. gently caress"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

sure, "hilarious"

totally "hilarious" that I wasted an entire summer playing through it without really grasping what I was supposed to do such that the random encounters only got worse, happening more and more often...not knowing I had to draw spells from bosses (because you stock up on poo poo BEFORE you fight a boss, why would I spend rounds not buffing/debuffing, dealing damage or healing myself?) and basically winning fights by summoning GFs and breaking my thumb rapid-firing on the boost ability --- and then finding myself having saved my game on lunatic pandora right before the final fujin/raijin fight, which I could not beat, nor could I go back and grind up.

like sixty-plus hours in a summer where my mother would only let me play for like a half hour at a time before yelling at me to do some kind of a chore or just to go outside

*leans in and whispers*

you should've paid more attention at school

• Locked thread