Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The chest references Pokemon is actual even more funny in light of CD3 promo materials that have a character named Ash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Man, the games really do not like Josette, at least from a mechanical perspective. Potentially holding off her S-Craft until now is a doozy of a dick move, since it could be possible for the player to not do the Sun Doors and just blitz through the plot. On the other hand, I do like the awareness the doppelganger versions of the boss fight characters have. They know they're fakes being used by someone else, but they have a job to do, so they're going to follow through despite their reservations. It's a nice little touch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I want to talk with the localization team and get the rationale for that quote, because it's 100% not what he says in Japanese and that decision was made 7 years ago.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

AradoBalanga posted:

Man, the games really do not like Josette, at least from a mechanical perspective. Potentially holding off her S-Craft until now is a doozy of a dick move, since it could be possible for the player to not do the Sun Doors and just blitz through the plot. On the other hand, I do like the awareness the doppelganger versions of the boss fight characters have. They know they're fakes being used by someone else, but they have a job to do, so they're going to follow through despite their reservations. It's a nice little touch.

It is very refreshing for them to go 'don't even start with the sob story because we're not freakin' real and you're not getting past us without a fight so let's just get this over with!'

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Josette really does get some good development over the trilogy for someone whose only real significance is in the first half of the first game. Still fairly easily rattled, now she composes herself much quicker. She's started accepting help when needed and has formed solid relationships outside of her family (notably Klaudia and Joshua, but there's a few others that aren't quite as strong). She's come a long way since the brat who stole a Septium Stone from Rolent.

She could have easily been a throwaway character, or a shallow, stereotypical rival, but this series doesn't really do either of those.

Now if only she was worth a drat in battle. Even getting rid of those drat Earth locked slots would help

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

IMPERIAL INTELLIGENCE, EYES ONLY: Cassius Bright sure is dreamy, do you think he's a good kisser

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
Cassius :allears:

While the events with the Erebonia Brcer Guild has been alluded to in many games and you can pretty much piece together what happened without the door, it's still cool to 'see' Cassius in action.

Incidentally this was one of the first doors I saw when someone was translating the doors, way before the Third came out in English.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The only use for the Jagd Armor I found was in a certain battle where you only use S-crafts and which requires your Str to be as high as possible. Otherwise, the armor's kind of horrible. -50 to Dex means that even at endgame levels (around 140) your Dex stat will either be zero or even with Hit-quartz still extremely low, meaning none of your attacks that aren't S-crafts will ever connect. Though I suppose you can alleviate that with an accessory that gives Dex bonus. That's still a waste of an accessory slot though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- I guessed that the Glorious would be a monument dungeon, but I had thought Renne would have been the mandatory character, not Joshua.
- I had a LOT more than 400 wins by this fight (0 retreats too). I'm not sure why, I don't think I spent that much time getting sepith from those special rare enemies.
- I never used the Jagd armor.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Really Pants posted:

IMPERIAL INTELLIGENCE, EYES ONLY: Cassius Bright sure is dreamy, do you think he's a good kisser

He has facial hair so by default he's a C+ kisser. It only goes up from there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

EponymousMrYar posted:

It is very refreshing for them to go 'don't even start with the sob story because we're not freakin' real and you're not getting past us without a fight so let's just get this over with!'

Hey man, just because these dopplegangers are trying to kill you doesn't mean they have to make you feel bad about it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I took Renne and Estelle as my other party members. They had fairly substantial unique dialogue, and judging by the little there was for Schera and Zin, I think I made the right call.
- Three Enforcers at once was nasty. That's too many status effects to handle, and BleuBlanc's can't be resisted at all. So I just didn't bother and focused on stat buffs instead.
- The start of the fight was nasty as hell, it took a while to stabilize and get my buffs up. Bleublanc mostly cast Fat or Tiny. I focused on Walter because he was easy to reach while Fat. Then I took down Lucy and then Bleublanc.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like they're just throwing boss characters at you in twos and threes now.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

The next sun door. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Going by RPG mechanics/gimmicks/quirks, I'm guessing that with a name like "Dreaming Bell Toll", it'd be a move that puts people to sleep. As for why it never seems to work on you Really Pants, maybe the chance of inflicting sleep is very low or something? :shrug:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, I believe it's an all-hitting attack that puts party members to sleep, but has a lower hitrate than your average attack. Some of Luci's attacks are magical in nature, btw, like those flaming fan tosses, meaning they'll murder you if you have the Physical quartz equipped.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Those questions about the max levels really bug me, since I know that it's wrong for at least FC and 3rd.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I finished the first two levels of the quiz and gave up after a couple attempts at the third. I'll probably try again later.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Pretty good choice for a quiz game. I imagine that means he's not going to be throwing down with the upcoming boss squad? Well, if anybody can pull double duty it'd be the fool.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Brutal is super hard, because it's really really obscure details. I think I needed about a dozen tries to get through it. Maniac was (for me) way easier, because most of the questions are about the soundtrack and I already knew all the song names.

I personally disagree about the SC Time Gem. I missed it on my first playthrough, but on my second, I picked it up and put it on Kloe. Since she naturally has super high ATS and a Sapphire Gem counteracts the Time Gem reductions, she can insta-cast nearly full power arts - or at least, more powerful arts that almost anyone else. I'm sure Olivier would work the same way.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Some Numbers posted:

Brutal is super hard, because it's really really obscure details. I think I needed about a dozen tries to get through it. Maniac was (for me) way easier, because most of the questions are about the soundtrack and I already knew all the song names.

I personally disagree about the SC Time Gem. I missed it on my first playthrough, but on my second, I picked it up and put it on Kloe. Since she naturally has super high ATS and a Sapphire Gem counteracts the Time Gem reductions, she can insta-cast nearly full power arts - or at least, more powerful arts that almost anyone else. I'm sure Olivier would work the same way.

I had fun with it on Estelle during SC Chapter 8 for insta-death screams. It worked pretty well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It'd be interesting to see a match between Cassius and the three enforcers. My guess is that his status immunities would make the fight pretty one-sided, but that's just a guess.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I played the game in japanese, and that quiz was the worst.
Randomized questions with a time limit short enough that you can barely even read the questions, let alone the answers :smithicide:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
For the most part, I knew the answers to the questions without even having to read the options. Unfortunately, my reading speed isn't top-notch, so I messed up a lot selecting the wrong options in a frenzy. Each quiz only has a select number of questions so eventually you'll be able to brute-force your way through them. It's probably one of the better ways of grinding cash at this point.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I was always curious about the max level in games that handle experience like this. Although the only ones that come to mind are this and Suikoden (And, I assume, the rest of the Legends of Heroes series)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I still need somebody to pick two party members for what's coming next.

I'd probably go with Estelle and Joshua but not for any real reason

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

I still need somebody to pick two party members for what's coming next.

I'd probably go with Estelle and Joshua but not for any real reason

I'd say pick two of the characters we haven't seen much of for a while. Give them a chance to hang out with the cool kids.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
As expected Loewe was the boss. I swapped Estelle out for Agate. I did NOT prepare for status effects, and I got caught flat-footed by Sword of Abbadon. The party wipe was fast.

I tried again this time, this time blocking confuse and faint on Joshua and Agate, (and Confuse and Mute on Renne and Kevin). Loewe went first and cast Abbadon before I could cast Grail Sphere, so I had to eat that, but the immediate Grail Sphere gave me some breathing room to get up. I focused on the robot because AA canceller neutralized half the party. It was a tough fight, but once the robot was down it was much easier. Still required a lot of careful planning and a lot of low-health “use it or lose it” S-Crafts.

If Loewe was Schwartzritter, who we saw at Grancel Port, then that re-opens the possibilities for who Phantasma could be. I can think of three possibilities.

I had no good ideas for who to take, so I defaulted to Joshua and Estelle. But I already saw that part so pick whoever.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

As expected Loewe was the boss.

Speak for yourself, I thought it would be the most powerful and intimidating figure connected to Ouroboros: Gilbert.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It wasn't until yesterday, when I replayed that fight on a whim, that I saw the other person behind Loewe.

For this next part, I'm not actually sure who to take, so let's go with Estelle and Joshua.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Estelle and Joshua or Kloe and Estelle/Joshoua

Either work.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I actually died to Loewe on hard on my first try when he had ~10k HP left because I misread the turn order and got caught by his S-craft. No, not Sword of Abbadon, the other one that happens to inflict Faint that I just so happened to not be prepared for.

So yeah that was disappointing.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Even though he has higher stats than Cassius (except for ADF), I actually had less trouble with Schwarzritter than I had with the Divine Blade. Reverie Dragion can hit hard, but Clock-Down, Phantom Pain and Orbal Down go a long way in lessening his threat and it usually went down fairly quickly as long as I concentrated my fire on it. While spreading out your team can hinder you in the battle against Cassius (Lightning Flash' AOE is so large it usually ends up hitting everyone anyway, Phoenix Wave is full-screen and Armor Rend often nabs at least half your team no matter what), it really cripples Loewe's threat since both Silver Thorn and his S-craft have Medium AOE and while Cassius is relentless in his assault, Loewe frequently spent his turns casting Earth Guard, healing, being too slow on the draw with Silver Thorn or just attacking party members with his melee slash, which hurts but is nothing a quick Tearal can't fix. And unlike SC Loewe, who could screw you over if he decided to summon clones early in the fight and completely lock you down with Zero Storm, Schwarzritter doesn't seem to send in the clones until he gets low on health, at which point you can usually burst him down before the splits become a problem.

quote:

Joshua remarked on this back in Chapter 5, but no matter what metric you use--people who aided Kevin in his hunt for Weissmann, people who were close at hand when the Aureole disappeared, whatever else--Richard and Renne don't fit. It doesn't make any sense for the Lord of Phantasma to have brought those two here...unless the decision was left to Loewe.

The Gospel Plan devastated Richard's life, and while Loewe did help rescue Renne from a horrific existence, he also set her on the path to Enforcerdom. Maybe he'd take this chance to give a little back, as best he might.

Yeah, especially with Renne, I kinda figured Loewe was given a say in who else was drawn in and he wanted to do his part to guide her. But actually, it's not Richard and Renne who don't fit. It's Anelace. She's wasn't even on the Liber Ark when the Aureole vanished, she was down in Liberl preventing poo poo from getting out of hand together with Kurt, Carna, Ridge, Sting, Gundolf, Wong and Melvin and some red-headed sword-wielding bracer whose name I curiously cannot remember. Nor did she play a much more central role in foiling Ouroboros than the other members of Team Kurt. So either not-Cassius was given some input in addition to Schwarzritter or Kondo was simply like: "Okay, she wasn't present in SC's final chapter and she doesn't have close ties to Loewe, but screw plot. She's popular with the fanbase, people were sore she was only available for two sections in the last game, I have 8-leaf lore to expose on, a Maybelle-Lila ship to launch and goofy Hermit Garden dialogue to write, so we're doing this mothafuckers. Cuteness is Justice!" XD

Erpy fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 31, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

Cuteness is Justice!

I'm certainly not complaining. :colbert:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Erpy posted:

But actually, it's not Richard and Renne who don't fit. It's Anelace.

Unless he roped her in for Renne's sake.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Anelace may not be directly involved in the overall plot of the first two games, but she does have a strong connection to a number of characters who do. Of all the Bracers the party interacts with, her or Kurt would have been the most fitting. And even the Lord of Phantasma likes to join in Liberl's second most popular pastime: watching Kurt suffer many wounds to the head.

The first most popular is of course shoving Estelle and Joshua together.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 31, 2017

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I'd say take Kloe and Renne, personally, because I have a feeling Renne might have some interesting things to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Father Kevin isn't really close to any of the party members in SC, he specifically keeps his distance from all of them.

Fortunately, the party members have their own opinions and they want Kevin to be close to them. It happened early in 3rd between Kevin and Joshua, where Joshua says "too bad, I don't care what you think, I'm still grateful and you're still my friend forever"

So I figure it's the collective feelings of the 16 real people present that lead to Anelace, Richard, and Renne being included.

As for the vote, I took Kloe and Richard my first time, and Kloe had some cool things to say. So I'd gladly vote for Kloe and Renne

• Locked thread