Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

anilEhilated posted:

There's a difference between using lack of media coverage to combat terrorism and using it to pretend it's something that only happens to the morally corrupt and decadent enemy.

Less terrorist publicity is still better than, even if applied selectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They aren't decreasing exposition to terrorism, they are applying it selectively so that the public is afraid of threats coming from without rather than within. If anything it's worse since it skews the public towards a more antagonistic view of the world abroad and nurtures a tribalistic, exclusionary mentality.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
It's Ukraine's independence day and something's just exploded in Kiev, injuring two

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-blast-idUSKCN1B41FV

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brace yourselves.

https://twitter.com/SecretaryPerry/status/901164046430457856

This guy is a doofus.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
There is a third destination on that trip, isn't there?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

frankenfreak posted:

There is a third destination on that trip, isn't there?

If there is, I haven't seen it mentioned. I think the main objective of this trip is to sell coal to Ukraine.

Found a press release. https://cramer.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/cramer-extends-international-trip-with-energy-visit-to-ukraine

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

If there is, I haven't seen it mentioned. I think the main objective of this trip is to sell coal to Ukraine.

Found a press release. https://cramer.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/cramer-extends-international-trip-with-energy-visit-to-ukraine

I think he was joking because Perry famously forgot the third of three departments he proposed to eradicate in a televised presidential primary debate in 2012, effectively ending his bid.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

A Pale Horse posted:

I think he was joking because Perry famously forgot the third of three departments he proposed to eradicate in a televised presidential primary debate in 2012, effectively ending his bid.

drat, totally went over my head.

https://twitter.com/MH17files/status/901449064599998466

:thunk:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Is this guy seriously wondering why airline pilots didn't scream a few milliseconds before getting exploded by a supersonic missile headed directly at them so as to be near-invisible to the eye for the split second they had to spot it, which they wouldn't have been able to do anyways because the windows in the cabin would not have allowed them to see it approaching from the ground.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 26, 2017

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Rip slavatuvs, got his spirit broken in the gulag.

The Slav Mind comes pre-broken, actually

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Warbadger posted:

Is this guy seriously wondering why airline pilots didn't scream a few milliseconds before getting exploded by a supersonic missile headed directly at them so as to be near-invisible to the eye for the split second they had to spot it, which they wouldn't have been able to do anyways because the windows in the cabin would not have allowed them to see it approaching from the ground.

If I'm not mistaken Buk missiles climb quite a bit above their target and then strike down.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's not like your average airliner has a missile warning system. They didn't scream because they didn't see the missile with their names on it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The loving missile also detonated right outside the cockpit, guided in by the nose cone navigational radar. The pilots didn't have time to scream because they got shredded by 800 some-odd iron fragments before whatever was left of their lungs was liquefied by the concussive force of 70 kilos of military-grade explosives detonating a few meters away.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

That's just an account run by a random idiot who got annoyed I blocked them on Twitter. The MH17 Truthers might still be going strong, but they're only convincing other idiots.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Brown Moses posted:

That's just an account run by a random idiot who got annoyed I blocked them on Twitter. The MH17 Truthers might still be going strong, but they're only convincing other idiots.
Idiots have too much sway over governments, may they be voters or in office, I'd say.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Obviously the pilots were well trained by the CIA

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

The first time I've seen that account come up on my twitter feed. Is it odd there's still bs about MH17 on twitter or is there something new they're trying to deflect from?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

That's hauling coal to Manchester.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The first time I've seen that account come up on my twitter feed. Is it odd there's still bs about MH17 on twitter or is there something new they're trying to deflect from?

There's a pretty active MH17 Truther community on Twitter, lots of cross over between them and pro-Assad, pro-Putin, and pro-Trump types. The last significant MH17 news was Russia finally submitted their radar data to the JIT in the correct format. Also this interview

https://twitter.com/marcelvandenber/status/901062510668853249

Good bit on the Dutch police's opinion of Bellingcat and our influence on their work (Google Translated):

quote:

Bellingcat

The relationship between media and police have become somewhat more balanced, Paulissen concludes. This has advantages and disadvantages. How citizen journalism platform Bellingcat fastened on the MH17-aftermath, initially caused quite often frown at the policemen who were involved in the investigation, said Paulissen. "Especially the old guard responded in a way: what happens now? Bellingcat bring certain things out and that could hamper our investigation. You saw for instance when after one of their publications immediately a number of Facebook accounts went black. At one point we thought, you know what, let's just call them. That contact has ensured that we work well with them. We have our people with high-tech crime Bellingcat contacted and then you just see that there is a win-win situation. "

Paulissen has great respect for the work of Bellingcat. "They thought at first things we did not focus on that moment. Furthermore, it is amazing how they learn things by using the "wisdom of the crowd" because I can enjoy. And I notice that it sharpens our people, like: wait a minute, that we can not let happen to us. Social media were not initially part of our research, but when we saw what Bellingcat all got on the table, we are going to do in that field research. But they also have taught us, we have said, you realize exactly what you reveal and what that could mean for the research. They draw some conclusions that are too short through the curve for us, we have around the entire "chain of evidence", that matter is real police work a step further. The contact is good, the resistance is gone, but we make choices from our own profession. It may be that it will Bellingcat still important despite our objections to publish a story. I understand very well that journalists there make their own decisions. Sometimes we did lively discussions, but that's not really what rubs, gives warmth. Positive is that our conversations are very open, which is a result of the transparent way of working Bellingcat. Most of the conversations we have with journalists, are less open in character. Then a journalist for example, heard from a source that he can not reveal, and we must respond. This makes conversation difficult. "

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

If I'm not mistaken Buk missiles climb quite a bit above their target and then strike down.

I would assume this depends on the distance to the target and its altitude. Anyways, that just means the 17 inch diameter Mach 3 missile they can't see with the naked eye until the last few milliseconds is behind the ceiling/walls of the cabin rather than the floor/walls.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 27, 2017

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

There's a pretty active MH17 Truther community on Twitter, lots of cross over between them and pro-Assad, pro-Putin, and pro-Trump types. The last significant MH17 news was Russia finally submitted their radar data to the JIT in the correct format. Also this interview

https://twitter.com/marcelvandenber/status/901062510668853249

Good bit on the Dutch police's opinion of Bellingcat and our influence on their work (Google Translated):

They just can't help themselves, they have to throw shade any chance they can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJcC5NdE3PQ

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This might be my favorite Russian denial ever.

https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/902477062082088960

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Volkerball posted:

This might be my favorite Russian denial ever.

https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/902477062082088960

This happens every time they do these exercises. There was one year the Polish government insisted Russia and Belarus simulated a nuclear attack on Poland.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/903463698207047680

Bring on president Няш Маш.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nyash Myash has been owning herself too hard recently. She wouldn't be allowed to do that if there were any serious plans for her.

Article doesn't even mention the only serious female candidate, Valentina Matvienko.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Poklonskaya? I never thought I would see an anime presidential candidate, from Russia to boot.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Poklonskaya is legitimately insane, unfortunately. Her weird facial expression is due to some head trauma she's suffered when arresting a local mobster, and it it probably affected not only her face. For the past several months she's been leading a campaign to ban the film Matilda that tells a story of then prince Nicholas dating a ballet dancer (an absolute historical fact). Because Nicholas II and his family are martyrs, it's somehow disrespectful to show what Nichols had been up to before his marriage, and the film should be banned according to the law protecting religious feelings. Thankfully, the court decided not to ban the movie (probably more due to the fact that it was filmed with state money), but the original claim included gems like 'the Czar is portrayed negatively in the film, because he dates a ballet dancer who wasn't very beautiful in real life'.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Bring on president Няш Маш.

nobsrussia and Brian Whitmore both have articles trying to figure out why the hell this is happening:
- https://nobsrussia.com/2017/09/01/managed-democracy/
- https://www.rferl.org/a/lame-duck-putinism/28709290.html

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Did someone try to assassinate Vucic?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Did someone try to assassinate Vucic?

Nah, just three coked-out idiots rammed their Bentley into his car.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gervasius posted:

Nah, just three coked-out idiots rammed their Bentley into his car.

:laffo: That is one hell of a way to gently caress up your drug habit.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, in Croatian news, this guy just held a news conference to say he's not a fascist:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
:godwinning:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Czech Alcoholic-in-Chief now has a transparent bank account for campaign purposes, as in you can actually see the balance and all transactions. The account number is also published and you're free to donate to him if you want, so...

TBH he should be just glad it's not much, much worse than this.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

mobby_6kl posted:

The Czech Alcoholic-in-Chief now has a transparent bank account for campaign purposes, as in you can actually see the balance and all transactions. The account number is also published and you're free to donate to him if you want, so...

TBH he should be just glad it's not much, much worse than this.
0.03 czk is 0.001 dollars. Are you saying I could goatse the president of the Czech Republic for a nickel?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gobbeldygook posted:

0.03 czk is 0.001 dollars. Are you saying I could goatse the president of the Czech Republic for a nickel?
ASCII goatse and yes, yes you can. The account number is in the top left, goonspeed!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is the best/worst thing I've seen in a while.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

This is running for president. loving :five: Translation:

quote:

Why I'll vote for Angelca for president?
1. Respects the God's 10 commandments.
2. Will help the young to apartments and better wages so they can make a family.
3. Knows workers and farmers should get a fair payment for their work.
4. Return respect to old moms and dads which the state constantly tramples on.
5. Will return a boy to their grandpa and grandma (this is a long story, but the gist is, the boy didn't like being with their grandpa/grandma so social services took him away).
6. ~prolife~, so she'll help moms in distress.
7. Extremely against putting terminally ill or old people out of their misery.
8. Will start the procedures to take back what the communist elites stole and give it back to families and children.
9. Empower the police and military, so they can effectively protect our women and children against Jihadi terrorists.
10. Will not allow the unfair real estate tax, that would tax the hard work and savings of people that invested into their houses their whole lives.
11. Respects the meaning of mom and dad, thus will prevent adoption of children into relationships of two men, women, trans or queersexuals.
12. Angelca will rule, which we'll elect, not puppets planted by the media and elites.

the not so funny part is, she'll probably get a couple % of the vote

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Slovenia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Err, sorry, yeah. Slovenia