Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Scruffpuff posted:

Example of it done correctly:

New ORSEY ship, $999

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCtdyNFwQWo

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Combat Theory posted:

IFCS is a strictly high order system. This means it doesn't care for details like mechanical parameters. You tell the ifcs "how something moves" not what keeps it moving that way. This means the entire mechanical simulation is floating. It's parameters don't matter. What matters is how you envision something to look like and the IFCS will use whatever it has available to achieve that movement pattern. This means that a spring might force 10 kilonewton between its ends at a certain compression, but when it gets compressed more it suddenly goes down to 0.1 kilonewton. This behavior is impossible for a spring, it goes against what a mechanical spring would ever do. But it is what the IFCS tells the spring to do in order to achieve a certain movement pattern.
This focus on the movement instead of mechanics is very similar to how a drone like a quadrocopter works, or a robotic arm. This kind of aproach to a full on vehicle simulation though, apart from the very strictly limited realm of zero G spaceflight, will always result in nightmarish and unsatisfying driving and flight behavior.

I had a thought when watching the daily Daymar streams, vehicles handle like when a child is playing pretend with their toys. Things like real world physics and what should happen just don't figure into a child imagination/simulation of the world. If something has to turn it turns, if something has to hover it hovers and if their car has to go over some rocks it just goes over the rocks. They have spent years and millions of dollars to make a simulation with the fidelity of a child's imagination. Which is how I would do things in a Lego game. Which Erin Roberts spent years working on. Maybe we are blaming the wrong brother for a lot of the Star Citizen Jank.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

can anyone translate this, I don't speak shill tia

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

trucutru posted:

I would buy it just to totally gently caress with the role-players by making stupid faces.

More likely there would be a way to hack the commands to make some specific dumb faces, all the fun, none of the cost.

In true 'Viz' style:

Commandos, are you bored with accidentally displaying your cum face to all your internet friends while trying to enjoy your favorite game alpha? Why not affix a pair of plastic googly eyes just above your tackle and aim a face tracking camera at it, your avatar will now be able to recreate a wide range of game safe facial expressions and you won't have to worry about being caught rubbing one out during your gameplay session as you can simply state "I have an itchy nose".

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I don't think his dosage is labeled correctly.

Imagine seeing the world through his eyes, loving scary poo poo.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Huh. Hadn't seen anything from him in so long, I thought he was dead. Seemed where he was headed for a while for sure.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

runsamok posted:

This isn't the way Big Benny machines or any of the floating debris works though. It's all entirely generated client-side & the server knows diddly-squat about it moment-to-moment.

2.6.3 Live: One player pushes a glowing noodle machine only they can see.

3.1 Gamescom Demo: One player has a conversation with an NPC only they can see & then goes to get a box that once again, only they can see.

No fancy server infrastructure or bespoke code or whatever needed, just CIG being CIG & cutting corners the same way they have been for years.

Stop spreading FUD. Miles Eckhart has holo-camo technology built into his third jacket that only reveals his presence to those he trusts. To everyone else, it's like he isn't there at all. *

* This is only possible with CIG's no-render-to-texture technology, which has never been done before.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

WarpDogs posted:

Here's my attempt at a summary

* Began with a 45min delay + 3 or 4 commercials for chariots
* New features (facial recognition, voice stuff) introduced then promptly revealed to be coming after 3.0, not with it
* After warping to the quest destination, the pilot's client crashed. The other two players were still in the ship but couldn't interact with it
* After 10 minutes of awkward troubleshooting they eventually had to restart. Cue another 15-20 minutes of mostly silence and long shots of a black room and an increasingly angry Chris as the demo is rebooted
* Because the demo was nearly 100% scripted, they had to do everything all over again leading up to the warp crash
* this included the world's worst RP of all time. yes, they still repeated the RP in the 2nd attempt
* They get to the planet. it's janky. a ton of pop-in and missing models. We all begin to notice that the lighting / colors for each player (they keep switching cameras) is completely different. It's suggested that even the time of day for players is different
* They find the quest object - a ship's black box which turned out to be a red cube that was just laying in a random spot on the floor
* Then they were ambushed, surprising nobody
* They shot the bad guy's ship out of the air from their moon rover, but they clearly weren't even aiming at the guy and it was a really embarrassing moment of scripting
* An Idris comes to save them, and jitter-janks its way to the surface. It extends a ramp for the rover to climb, and the entire thread knew at once it was going to end in disaster. It did. After many failed attempts the rover clipped through the ramp and exploded. The wheels literally fell off and rolled toward the camera, and I very nearly blacked out in laughter
* also the red black box was aboard the rover but nobody acknowledged the mission was a failure
* Sometime after this we cut to a commercial for an RSI-branded webcam. Lots of scare tactics to make you think your existing webcam lacks the horsepower to handle Star Citizen's new facial stuff
* Later, the Idris goes to space and is ambushed a 2nd time, surprising nobody for a 2nd time
* An epic space battle ensues as two goliaths fight through 6-7fps space and jitter-jank into one another. One explodes
* It's the end of the demo. Chris then has a sudden and definitely not scripted idea - let's let the goliaths fight again, but this time the bad guy could win!
* It's another 20 minutes waiting for the really obviously fake and scripted demo to spin up. It's awkward silence. Sandi wanders on stage in her weird clown outfit to give Chris a rum and coke
* The epic space battle begins anew. I cannot notice a single difference, other than a fighter bounces off the hull of the Idris like a Loony Toons cartoon, and the idris rams the bad guy who explodes in 6-7fps fashion. More jitter-jank

Then Chris ends the presentation prematurely before being reminded that the employees are coming out to say goodbye. He asks them to take a bow. They do so. that's it
I never thought CIG could pull off such a level badness. That shitshow was worse than I ever dreamed was possible.

The killer is still the crash and the subsequent boring-as-poo poo "speedrun" showing off just how terrible the game would be even if it functioned.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 27, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

My god, it's full of stores

Quavers posted:

"Chris, we should lock down the featureset for Star Citizen's MVP release in 2020, the scope is large enough"

"I can't do that Dave"

http://i.imgur.com/0XECm4p.gifv

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 27, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So just out of curiosity, but are any backers upset with the fact that CIG spent another year building out their 3.0 demo from last year instead of actually making the game where the things they scripted could happen for real?

They built demo 3.0.1, and "janky planet level" in a year. There is no gameplay added, unless you can count that eventually you'll get render to texture, and webcam face capturing.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I started to reply, then realized I don't give a poo poo and these idiots deserve to be scammed. They won't learn, they won't care, and it's not worth the effort.

never not post

Your replies are not for them anymore, they're for Mirificus to screencap their reactions to harvest the comedy for thread subsumption

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Came here to post this. I love these self destructing remindmes.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

This occurred shortly after the rover was lost in battle, and our commando hero bravely ran up the ramp without dying.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Wow. I'm looking at the unlisted goon stream. this is almost like watching one of those millions of garrysmod youtube videos.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wish me luck. I'm going to rub Miles Eckhart.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ3TSJIljy8

So the fuckin' youtube shills fell for Roberts' hustle, hook line and sinker.

"As a Youtuber, and content creator,"

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Came here to post this. I love these self destructing remindmes.

:same:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

D_Smart posted:

GAMESCOM 2017 – CHRIS ROBERTS STAR CITIZEN PRESENTATION

As I mentioned in my GC2017 coverage, I am currently writing an article about Chris's presentation, and will post it soon. I don't even know where to begin with it, but suffice to say, that presentation had some unexpected results which solidified my opinions that this game can NEVER been made, and that the project is FUBAR. In fact, PC Invasion has the best summary so far of the disaster that unfolded before our eyes. You can view the full presentation blooper reel below. It contains most of the presentation highlights of Chris's carefully scripted demo mission fails. Yes, this is a six year project developed by over 500 people (both past and present), and which has thus far raised (and probably burned through) over $156M in crowd-funding alone. I have also made public a private (industry friends and peers) post which I made on Facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azZ0WqhM_ps

Three year project, thank you. Development only truly began in 2015, making this a two year project to date. I am not sure what you are expecting from a project that is so early in development. They have made heaps of progress in this first year of development.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

In case you missed it - here is the complete presentation accompanied by audio of Goons laughing their asses off, and Derek Smart shouting "I FUCKIN CALLED IT"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3DCbvu-uF4o

Just want to thank you for this, really well done.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I hope they ask MadCatz how their hardware partnership went, and how professional CIG was after the fact about it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Taintrunner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ3TSJIljy8

So the fuckin' youtube shills fell for Roberts' hustle, hook line and sinker.

"As a Youtuber, and content creator,"

"Immersion comes first" as that ship slams into the ground like a no clipping brick.

That beared game man's head also moves while the player's doesn't, same as that horrific singing clip...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Five studios.

Approaching 160 million in funding.

This is Star Citizen.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

My god, it's full of stores

:five:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/FacewareTech/status/901205888517537793
https://twitter.com/GeraIdEvans/status/901506272339546113
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/901552938547630084

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

In case you missed it - here is the complete presentation accompanied by audio of Goons laughing their asses off, and Derek Smart shouting "I FUCKIN CALLED IT"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3DCbvu-uF4o
Thanks for this. :)

Beaten, but the unedited Twitch stream will be live here when it's done processing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

I hadn't even thought of this. CIG invents yet another way for people to guarantee their immersion is broken at all times. Can't wait to start bunnyhopping all over the mission terminals while gritting my teeth and flailing my lips around like Billy Idol.

You have to do it slowly, subtly. First you act all natural, then you start a small twitch "yes, my face muscles were hurt on the refinery explosion over Tantanka IV", and so you escalate until you go into full Ace Ventura mode.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

trucutru posted:

I would buy it just to totally gently caress with the role-players by making stupid faces.

I could belch into people's faces and get off scot-free.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

So just out of curiosity, but are any backers upset with the fact that CIG spent another year building out their 3.0 demo from last year instead of actually making the game where the things they scripted could happen for real?

They built demo 3.0.1, and "janky planet level" in a year. There is no gameplay added, unless you can count that eventually you'll get render to texture, and webcam face capturing.

No, they have actually developed a somewhat zen resignation to all this crap by this point. Most of the moaning is about stupid inconsequential things and pedantic definitions (reddit!) than the actual problems at the foundation-level everybody knows the game has.

They see the demo as a showcase of how much they have advanced (or not, some are *not* happy) in a year, with the assumption that CIG showed the same thing to make it easier to compare the yearly progress and not because it is all they have.

In other words, as usual, they think that CIG has advanced a poo poo-ton but that they choose not to show all the progress because bugs, spoilers, or whatever. Or that they indeed showed progress but it is all in background tech which cannot be seen.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 27, 2017

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Galarox posted:

Bleurgh. Well - last night was fun. Nursing a hangover atm. I really cant believe what I saw last night, I dont think I have laughed so hard for ages. Thanks to all the goons on discord for making it so memorable :)

You're the best, man!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would to, but I have a prior commitment with MY WIFE.

It isn't like she couldn't have come along.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Sup bros!
I'm up!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvCSUEbAmpQ

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Sup bros!
I'm up!

Lets rub!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nah. That edit makes it far too good to be good. Ehrmm. Yeah. You know what I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIfAkOBMf5A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

How about this weather.