Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

My favorite moment of the con was nearly having an aneurysm trying to convince the table that the same player had gotten the Hitler role three times in a row in Secret Hitler, acquiescing and shooting someone else, then being proved correctly in the end and basically spitting over everything and flipping a chair as I stood up at the end of the game and shouting as the top of my lungs "He was loving Hitler!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

That's cool and all, but nerdy as gently caress and NO ONE CARES

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

"In August"

Triggered

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Carteret posted:

Disagree, I care because it is in fact super cool.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Carteret posted:

You don't need to post the Gen Con slogan in the Gen Con thread, we all know it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Carteret posted:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Actually it's p cool

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
It would be funnier if it was a 1 and cooler if it was a 20.

15 just doesnt have anything, i mean DC 15 is a simple check jeez he probably had like +6 acrobatics

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

16 hours of D&D? TIME TO DRINK MY OWN PISS.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Carteret posted:

Nah, D&D has some really loving epic moments. That was his.

Also, is the Are You a Werewolf? The new Cards Against Hummanity game? So many people sitting together slapping their legs for hours on end. It was confusing.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

They've been setup in that hallway for at least the last 3 years doing pickup games with strangers for generics. I think in 2015 it night have been bring out your dead?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Philthy posted:

Nah, D&D has some really loving epic moments. That was his.

Also, is the Are You a Werewolf? The new Cards Against Hummanity game? So many people sitting together slapping their legs for hours on end. It was confusing.

It's a good bit older actually

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, Mafia / Werewolf has been a thing for about thirty years now.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
But Gen Con added its unique touch of you get to pay per game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The hallway games require a ticket? :lol:

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I did not know those hallway games required a ticket, either.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Best new games you played at Gencon this year. GO!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Junkie Disease posted:

Serious answer: Wild West Exodus
Bonus answer: Happy Salmon

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Junkie Disease posted:

Mutant: Year Zero.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My Gencon recap I wrote for the board game thread: wasn't really crazy about any of the new big games. I had a shopping list of mostly old games (couldn't find Dominant Species). Signed up for zero events, spent most of the weekend playing games and drinking with friends like every year, and that's always the best choice. Played 3 games of 4 player Feast for Odin which was the highlight for me. Also spent a lot of time watching the auction and enjoying our own Quarex's hijinx there. There was a pretty amazing moment when a set of meteorite die went for $3000 and the winner immediately gave them to the auctioneer Frank Mentzer. They also raised a poo poo ton of money for charity last night, including $3500 to knock down the card castles with Cards Against Humanity matching up to another $1000 when people started throwing the coins. Probably ended up close to $6000 for that alone.

Played a beginner game of Terraforming Mars with 5 players. 2 players had great draws and got a good engine going and really liked the game, 1 person hated the game and dropped on the 4th round, and the other two of us drew poo poo and did nothing. That's Terraforming Mars. By the 6th round, all other players had gotten cheap city tile cards and started building out their board presence whereas I drew nothing but expensive or useless crap, putting me in a huge disadvantage purely by RNG. In fairness, the beginner version of the game is a horrible introduction to the game and the starting corporation identities and drafting variants add a lot of player agency and take away a lot of the giant deck of random cards determining if you get to do anything or not problem.

Clank in Space is a good upgrade from the vanilla version. The variable setup of the map actually goes a long way to making me like the game more. It's still a simple game, but a great alternative for my friends that are really into Star Realms.

Speaking of, Hero Realms with the class specific starter decks is a hilariously broken mess. Played a few rounds and it was easy to end the game in 4-5 turns with good draws. I guess that's fine if you like really quick deckbuilders but at least Star Realms gave you a while to get an engine going before blasting people for 30 damage a turn. Rogue is seemingly the most broken, starting with a lot more money resource in his deck (in a market row deckbuilder) and the ability to steal a card from the opponent's discard pile. Yeah.

Rising Sun was good, definitely better than Blood Rage it rewards really getting into the politics and flavor. With a good group it will be fantastic though. Similar to Blood Rage, I imagine all the Kickstarter expansion crap won't add anything of value to the game so it'll be a good retail purchase if your group likes that type of thing.

The Cool Mini or Not A Song of Ice and Fire miniatures game is boring poo poo that looks great.

Star Wars Legion is a pretty neat system and a big gently caress you from FFG to GW. It's going to make them so much drat money, especially if they start doing the terrain stuff.

FFG also claims the Imperial Assault app is "still coming, we promise", but two years is a suspicious amount of time for an app they already have the base code for from Descent. I'm pretty sure it's still in licensing limbo because EA has the app licenses and doesn't want to share.

Legend of the 5 Rings is a really good card game with some of the best art ever. It's a mashup of Game of Thrones and Warhammer Conquest with a ton of flavor and some clever mechanics. They're doing some really interesting things with the community driven aspects and competitive play, really feels like the first "living" card game that goes beyond just the distribution methods.

I didn't get to try the new Civ game yet, but it looks great.

Caverna: Cave vs Cave is a great little two player puzzler. As mentioned a few pages back, it's pretty dry but plays fast and the variable setup from the tiles adds a good bit of replay value. A great addition to our two player lineup.

Secrets is a great social deduction game that combines The Resistance with a reverse Love Letter mechanic. It plays quickly and has a lot of turn to turn strategy and meaningful choices. I'm so over Avalon and Resistance and this is a worthy successor. The main downfall though is that you can get team switched at the last turn, thereby wasting your entire game and work you put into scoring points for your team or hurting enemies. Worst of all, you have no idea if or when your team gets switched. Mechanically that encourages people to discuss information they have and try to work out who's who which you can still do, and the game plays quickly enough that an annoying last second team switch that causes you to be on the losing team isn't too frustrating. The core gameplay mechanic of offering another player 1 of 2 cards (they know the two you have, but you can lie about what you're giving them) is engaging enough to put this at the top of social deductions for me for now.

Arboretum reprint didn't make it in time for this weekend, but the rep said it should be in stores by the end of the month.

I drooled over the Wyrmwood Tak sets, a cool $700 for a gorgeous board and pieces made from exotic woods, but the head of the company was a smug jackass.

I also bought The Colonists and holy poo poo, what a game.

Highlights for me were Gaia Project, New Angeles(with goons), a bunch of Feast for Odin games (also with goons), Secrets, and the new Arkham LCG saga expansion.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 27, 2017

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I liked L5R a lot. Secrets was also a lot of fun. I'm not sure if Resistor is new, but it was new to me, and I liked it a lot.

I can't tell if the Robotech minis game is good or not, the guy demoing it kinda spent most of his time playing someone else who already knew how to play. I think it's probably good.

Bottom Liner posted:

New Ageles(with goons)

I'd played this before, but it is helluva fun.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Junkie Disease posted:

Blood and Plunder

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Do not buy the Robotech game. Please. Do not encourage Palladium.

I've heard the game is ok but nothing special; however, the real problem is that they've basically scammed everyone from their Kickstarter. It's been over 4 years and people still haven't gotten half their stuff (they should have gotten everything like 3 years ago). Also, the models have too many pieces and the worst gaps I've seen on a model.

(I didn't put any money into it but I've been fascinated by how bad it is for a while now.)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Best new game I played this year was TORG Eternity, because it was the only game I played :smug:

ok I was also in the 1975 D&D Tournament Recreation Thing (tm) but I am even more sure that does not count

Thanks for the Auction shout-out, Bottom Liner. Considering the Auction is tangibly more popular than so many other things happening at Gen-Con, it is always weird how little discussion there is about it. Which is probably one substantial part of why I joined up, so I could better immerse myself in the lunacy.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Avenging Dentist posted:

Do not buy the Robotech game. Please. Do not encourage Palladium.

I've heard the game is ok but nothing special; however, the real problem is that they've basically scammed everyone from their Kickstarter. It's been over 4 years and people still haven't gotten half their stuff (they should have gotten everything like 3 years ago). Also, the models have too many pieces and the worst gaps I've seen on a model.

(I didn't put any money into it but I've been fascinated by how bad it is for a while now.)

Haha, I've had a love/hate thing with Palladium for maybe 20 years now. Rifts was the second RPG I ever played. I'd heard the Kickstarter was a poo poo show, but I didn't know people didn't have their stuff yet. It's been in stores for a little while now.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Civilization new dawn really stood out to me. It was very snappy for a 4ex kinda game, and the sort of upgrading your actions mechanic they threw in made for some interesting choices. All of that in under 90 minutes seems like a slam dunk for me. Super looking forward to the release.

I'm still digging into photosynthesis, not sure how I feel about it. Wasn't very impressed with the two player game, but look forward to full 4 person, will definetely get mean then.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 27, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

OB_Juan posted:

Haha, I've had a love/hate thing with Palladium for maybe 20 years now. Rifts was the second RPG I ever played. I'd heard the Kickstarter was a poo poo show, but I didn't know people didn't have their stuff yet. It's been in stores for a little while now.

They have the Wave 1 stuff, but Wave 2 (which is a lot) hasn't even had the sprues designed yet. Palladium is already saying that they won't be done until 2018 (but I wouldn't hold my breath for that either).

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Avenging Dentist posted:

They have the Wave 1 stuff, but Wave 2 (which is a lot) hasn't even had the sprues designed yet. Palladium is already saying that they won't be done until 2018 (but I wouldn't hold my breath for that either).

Holy poo poo really? It's been literally months since last I checked in on that shitshow, and they're still miles from production? Goddamn.

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word

Bottom Liner posted:

2 Rooms & A Boom is a hallway game, right? We played a big game for a while and it was money well spent.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I mean the games that are literally played in the hallways outside the main halls. Like, beside the convention center doors heading to the JW and such. I always just saw people sitting in circles, I'm pretty sure those are just pickup games (but they definitely do have official Werewolf events too).

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Bottom Liner posted:

Played a beginner game of Terraforming Mars with 5 players. 2 players had great draws and got a good engine going and really liked the game, 1 person hated the game and dropped on the 4th round, and the other two of us drew poo poo and did nothing. That's Terraforming Mars. By the 6th round, all other players had gotten cheap city tile cards and started building out their board presence whereas I drew nothing but expensive or useless crap, putting me in a huge disadvantage purely by RNG. In fairness, the beginner version of the game is a horrible introduction to the game and the starting corporation identities and drafting variants add a lot of player agency and take away a lot of the giant deck of random cards determining if you get to do anything or not problem.

Yeah your draws were pretty poo poo. I do think doing a couple of turns like we did so people can get a feel for the flow of the game helps with getting how it all works. I would have really liked to have gotten a chance to play it with the various corporations and drafting. That said the game is 100% on my christmas list now.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

That Old Tree posted:

Holy poo poo really? It's been literally months since last I checked in on that shitshow, and they're still miles from production? Goddamn.

I decided to check it out today, and now they're doing biweekly updates. So far they posted a single 3D render and said they found a "promising" company to do production (as I understand it, that company will do a lot of the sprue design). So the only real progress in like 2+ years(?) is one render, which took them over 3 weeks to post after the guy updating the Kickstarter said he'd post some renders. If I didn't know better, I'd suspect that they spent those 3 weeks doing the 3D modeling. :tinfoil:

Ok I'll stop talking about Palladium now.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I was more impressed with DragonFire than I thought I would be. Was much better than Pathfinder ACG (as if that were hard)

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiXQu0Yqr9o
The Chuck e Cheese model.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I managed to playtest/demo two interesting games at Gen Con.

One was Wrestlenomicon, a 2-player card game by Arc Dream - Rob Heinsoo is the designer.

I really liked it. Some of the names for attacks are absurdly silly (Hastur has an attack called 'Say My Name Three Times') but I really like the momentum system (attacks appear on the momentum track in various places according to their 'speed' and further attacks also have a value that allows you to move cards closer to completion) because it feels like a fight. I mean, you're telegraphing the moves of deities the size of buildings and allowing for the opportunity to show a really big attack that you either move slowly or rush to completion, and it's all public knowledge. In addition, the last attack you successfully land can be used against you if your opponent lands an attack that 'punishes' that kind of attack.

It's really cool, and I'm Kickstarting it the moment it goes up. I also really respect Shane Ivey, because he told me that he wouldn't feel comfortable asking for more money in a kickstarter until they deliver the Case Officer's Handbook for Delta Green.

The second game was a somewhat-secret Cowboy Bebop game. The reason why it's somewhat of a secret is because the potential publishers don't have the rights firmly in hand - they want to get the game as far along to completion as they can, show it to the rights-holders as proof of concept, and get greenlit to Kickstart. Also, my friend asked a whole shitload of vendors about it because a Cowboy Bebop picture appeared on a publisher's booth, but there was nothing related to it there. It was truly a passion project for him to track it down and have us play it - which we paid to do via generics.

For rights-related reasons, we couldn't take pictures of the game.

At any rate, I would call it Firefly minus the suck with a lot of inspiration from Battlestar Galactica in terms of card mechanics (but nothing involving traitors). It is a straight co-op game. One potential flaw of the game is that it demands four players - you play as the crew of the Bebop (Jet, Spike, Faye, and Ed) tracking down and scoring bounties in order to get money... which you will promptly spend on food, because HOLY poo poo do you run out of food quickly. At the beginning of everyone's turn, you draw an event card. The events are about equally good and bad, with some of the good events allowing you to play a card to get an additional (or different) benefit. Nevertheless, nearly every goddamn event tells you to spend one food.

As you can probably guess, running out of food is Bebop's primary enemy - which is pretty true to the show.

The reason why I say it demands four players though is that every player has 10 cards that represent different 'skills' - Hacking, Combat, Piloting, and Investigation. Naturally, every character has a varying amount of each type of card. For example, I think Ed has four Hacking cards, two dual Hacking and Investigation cards, one Investigation card, two Piloting cards, and one Combat card. Just like in the show, Ed's super-awesome at Hacking but does little to no good in combat. When called for, you can spend these cards a la Battlestar Galactica to clear conditions for checks, which will require either one or different combinations of skill cards.

In addition, although characters may have cards of the same skill, they have different effects when played as part of your actions for the turn or when you fulfill specific conditions - much like Battlestar Galactica cards. Faye might have a Combat card that, when played before chasing a bounty, the team will get additional money when you successfully catch them. Ed's Combat card (Feral Child) can be played to ignore spending food as part of an event card on her turn. No character shares card effects, though there are some similar themes (i.e., when interacting with a location, spend this card to gain an additional effect). These ten cards remain constant - as you spend them, you put them aside and stack them so that the most recently used card is on top. To refresh your hand, you spend an action to take the top two off the top of the pile - meaning that if you spend a particularly valuable first but don't refresh it until later, it take a lot of work to unbury it.

The core of the game revolves around navigating the board, gathering leads for where bounties might show up, and chasing the bounties. However, chasing bounties is really just a means to stay alive - to win the game, characters need to complete all three Acts in their 'session', which are themed after certain character arcs/stories in the show. Fulfilling sessions requires characters to spend the required skill cards as part of a check as well as fulfill certain conditions - one of Ed's Acts requires the Bebop to be in Jovian space before they can engage in the check on their turn, while one of Faye's requires her to be alone on the Bebop.

Oftentimes, meeting the requirements of sessions checks requires a lot of cards - however, players who are at the same planet can assist each other in any and all skill checks they might need to make. This makes teamwork a powerful advantage, as you can strategize how you spend cards and how you'll replenish them to you hand to ensure that you can make skill checks and help other make checks on their turns as well.

However it doesn't do for the team to stay clumped up together - as you visit locations on planets, they become 'used' and you need to visit ALL four locations on a planet before they can be used again. Oftentimes, this represents a huge inefficiency in action economy as character might spend their actions using locations they don't need to use, like grocery when you have no money, spaceports when you have no money, bars when you don't need to refresh your cards (but the last location, which allows you to draw contacts, remains pretty useful because they're how you locate bounties). To avoid this, Jet, Spike, and Faye can take their personal ships out to travel to other planets and locations by spending Fuel - but by doing so, they can't expect help from the other players. Ed has no ship but the Bebop, but even if the crew 'maroons' her she has a card that allows her to remote control the Bebop back to her so she can get on it again.

There's a lot more granularity to the game that I could explain (how tracking down bounties via leads works, etc.), but the core takeaways are:

- The game matches the theme very well.
- The characters' differing strengths and weaknesses makes playing them feel unique.
- The game delivers in terms of tension and making meaningful decisions. In addition to running out of food, another failure state is letting the Session tracker count down to zero (which you can only replenish by completing your Acts on your session cards, so the game tries to push you along to the victory state instead of staying in the failure spiral of catch bounties -> get food).
- Quarterbacking could still a bit of an issue (as it is in all co-ops), but the fact that the game state can change rapidly from your turn to your next one means it often becomes more of a collaborative decision-making process, and characters' unique abilities would require severely spergy levels of game mastery to start dictating to other players what they need to do.
- It has an Ein card, it is special, and it is amazing. Ein is a wild card that any character can spend any time they need to make a check - he counts as Hacking, Combat, Pilot, and Investigation. Once used, he goes right into that character's discard pile, only able to be used again once he's refreshed.
- Fun fact: Ed has a card that allows her to fish Ein out of any discard pile no matter how deep he is and make him available again. They're such good friends.
- It passed the critical check among my group of four - we had fun playing, and we're really hopeful they'll score the license and Kickstart the poo poo out of it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

OB_Juan posted:

Robotech struck me as decidedly average from what I saw of it, which is a shame given the licenses. I think it'd depend on how much you like the sculpts, but either way, I wouldn't hold my breath on expansions or support. Wave 2 has eternally been on the horizon, and between the amount of money necessary and Palladium's inexperience with minis, I wouldn't put any bets on it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I stopped by whatever booth had Wasteland Delivery Service and it looked like one of those games that is very thematic and fun with the right people but not actually a good or deep game.

Full disclosure: I didn't actually play the game, just watched the guy go through the rules and he answered a lot of my questions

So everyone has their truckers (no differentation out of the box), you get 5 actions with which you can always move and do a thing (buy/sell goods, shop/upgrade/missions, fight npcs), or just move in which case your subsequent move actions go further (higher gears). Players take turns doing each action so ideally there isn't a lot of board state churn or downtime and things go quickly without too much boredem.

You can pick up goods in certain towns for a fixed price and sell them elsewhere for a dynamic price based on how many towns demand that good. Once a town has demand fufilled, it draws a new demand token. There may have been a way to churn the supplier tokens too (fuzzy memory), but the idea was that they didn't just want players to find an optimal route and run it the whole game. You can also pick up secondary missons for one of three factions in their allied towns.

Combat is with NPC raiders only. You can buy gun upgrades that let you roll dice to generate damage, and get one-shot weapons to guarentee damage. The raider health is randomly determined by a card draw and the reward is goods you get to loot. Truck takes damage to cargo storage and can be full repaired for a flat fee.

Other upgrades are just doing everything, but better. Bigger truck to store more guns and cargo, more movement, ignore enviroment hazards, etc.

The goal of the game is to do three objectives which are randomly determined at the start. This can be killing raiders, supporting a certain faction by doing their sidequests, or delivering stuff/making money. First person to do all three wins.

One of the game's big selling points was that it had millions of variations because everything can be randomized. I disagree with that because I didn't see any major variables that were effected. Like the game would play the same no matter what board layout and objectives were in play: you make money, gear up, and push your objectives. The upgrades also seemed really shallow and I dislike some of the RNG that was in the game.

I maybe would feel different if I played the game a few times, but I was not impressed with the game, and definitely not impressed with the $80 price tag.

It definitely has an asethetic though and it has tons of high production value components. The game even comes with chit trays and a tutorial on how to fit everything in the box. If you have a friend who loves the big fiddly FFG-style experience generators then they will probably love it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Robotech struck me as decidedly average from what I saw of it, which is a shame given the licenses. I think it'd depend on how much you like the sculpts, but either way, I wouldn't hold my breath on expansions or support. Wave 2 has eternally been on the horizon, and between the amount of money necessary and Palladium's inexperience with minis, I wouldn't put any bets on it.

You also shouldn't really support it or any other Robotech ventures because Harmony Gold is terrible and no better than a copyright troll at this point. The amount of effort they've put into loving over Battletech and any company that has tried to have a wider release of Macross in America is both astounding and depressing. Regardless of how optimistic they seem about whatever half baked, series rebooting/restarting vehicle they're developing, they have one every couple of years, they will never release it.

As much as I have nostalgia for Robotech, it needs to be smothered in its comatose state for the good of everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Oh I also played Red Markets which is a zombie apocalypse RPG which was kickstarted last year and the pdf popped up just a month or so ago.

I know y'all will probably roll your eyes when you see the word 'zombie' followed by 'apocalypse', but Red Markets is actually good and like most good zombie movies, the undead are really not a problem, they just make everything mundane that you do really dangerous. The major enemy in this game (as in real life) is the crushing weight of capitalism and poverty as your PC's struggle to care for their dependants and equipment, and earn enough money to escape the terror of the zombie apocalypse, as there are vast parts of the world that are relatively untouched.

The best thing about the system in my opinion is that they handle crunchy resource tracking in an abstract way that feeds right into the rolling mehanics and even has good decision making attached.

For example, you need to track your PC's bullet usage, but instead of writing down numbers, you just have 10 charges of gun usage. Everytime you make a gun attack, you expend one charge of the gun. If you would like to increase your chances of success, you can expend additional charges before the roll for +1 each. The gun has a refresh cost to pay to get back charges, and each character additionally has a number of free refreshes based on their scavanging skill.

The resolution system is d10 based. Each roll is a positive (black) die minus a negative (red) die. If you roll net positive (in the black) you suceed, net negative (in the red) fails. Modified ties fail and natural ties are criticals (evens = sucess, odd = failure).

Another neat feature is that the GM barely rolls in the game. NPCs are compentent and will auto-hit unless the players spend actions to dodge or otherwise avoid damage. (However even barely trained athletics dodges 50% of the time per resolution mechanics above)

There is a thread on SA here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777241 if you'd like to read more/discuss. I really like the system and I'm really looking forward to the campaign I just started in it. It also makes a fantastic one-shot.

• Locked thread