Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

spudsbuckley posted:

Dunno if anybody is watching The Mist but i've sort of changed my initial low opinion of it because it actually got pretty interesting in the last 3 episodes or so.

Still not a patch on the movie but i'll give it props for doing its own thing.

I tried to like it, god help me I tried. It's a good show to hatewatch while you're playing your 3DS, I can vouch. The last three episodes had enough crazy poo poo happen to invest me, but never take it very seriously. I was disappointed in the final episode when Kevin, the one character I could root for, decides to kill every person in the mall. And credit where credit's due, they dropped hints that he has a dark streak...but come on. You're right, it did its own thing, and the season had potential but I think the writing needed to be revised like a hundred more times before they filmed it.

Despite that I'm actually hoping there's a second season, I want to see what happens next (and I have more 3DS games to play while I do it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Escobarbarian posted:

Yayyyy Halt and Catch Fire premiere owns

I'm glad AMC is giving it one last season for closure. It airs on Saturday nights though, not even a weekday timeslot. Lee Pace and Scoot McNairy both own. Also, I've never really like Cameron, she's a really frustrating character to work with and after all these years has barely matured into being responsible.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Was there a thread for the last season of Orphan Black? I'm curious what people thought.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Mist is dumb. So dumb. I think I'm actually one of the more generous TV watchers around these parts and usually don't judge too harshly, but the Mist is just a lot of nonsense strung together in no particular rhyme or reason. I kept watching because it alway would do JUST enough to make me wonder, or maybe just because I kept wondering if they were ever going to even try and explain anything or make anything make sense. But they didn't. And I'm really hoping I don't waste my time with a second season wondering if they'll ever get around to trying to make some kind of sense.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm more generous, because i liked it. I haven't watched the finale yet though. I'm pre-empting my satisfaction.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Honestly, I think I'm really just annoyed by "Good news! Your boyfriend didn't rape you! Bad news, he's your brother. Probably should have told you that the first time you were making out."

That and The Mist just literally being anything they want it to be at any given time. "They're feeding it!" Oh, gently caress you.

The Mist season finale made me irrationally angry. I'm not usually one of those posters/viewers. I don't think.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Reminder that Comrad Detective is amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The pilot for The Mist is free for Prime so I'm give it a shot. Anything to keep me away from Facebook right now :mad:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

The pilot for The Mist is free for Prime so I'm give it a shot. Anything to keep me away from Facebook right now :mad:

Did you bet on the MMA guy?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Emergency rooms across Ireland have setup triage in the parking lots. They are saying this is the biggest outpouring of violence since St Paddy's day 1975 when they ran out of Genius.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You don't understand! There's something in THE MIST

Haha this is already Under the Dome part 2

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Tick is pretty fun.

It was like he was looking for a place to keep his knife... and no place was good enough

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

The Tick is pretty fun.

It was like he was looking for a place to keep his knife... and no place was good enough

Yeah, I enjoyed it. Overkill in general was a really great take on modern badass antihero/villains like Deathstroke and Punisher.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Tick is pretty fun.

That and "LOOK OUT, SHE SHOOTS GLASS EYES!" had me cracking up

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That and "LOOK OUT, SHE SHOOTS GLASS EYES!" had me cracking up

That really captured the essence of The Tick.

My only problem with it is that IMDb lists 10 episodes so I was not prepared for it to be over so quickly. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every response I've seen to The Tick has been either really positive or really negative. I can't stop watching THE MIST now though, this is so dumb and I love it. on to episode 2!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The finale to The Mist is one of the worst things I've seen on TV. Stupid "twist" and end to the mall story line.

It showed some sparks of potential but ultimately was bogged down with teen drama.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Watching The Tick just makes me wish that Arthur was played by Griffin McElroy instead of Griffin Newman

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I should rewatch the first live action Tick series, but from what I remember of it, the new one nailed the exact same brand of comedy. I'm not surprised a lot of people nit knowing what to expect might have a negative reaction to The Tick, but if you ever like The Tick before this incarnation, this is very much in the same vein.
Edit: also note that if you hated the Tick costume used in the pilot, pictured above, they changed it to be much more traditional after the pilot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's some overlap of people who worked on the old live action version too. Of course the real connective tissue is that comic creator Ben Edlund has been involved in all versions of the show. Also cartoon The Tick fact is that it was the first professional job for Christopher "Jackson Publick" McCulloch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've never read the comic, and saw bits of the cartoon when I was a kid, but, like I said, I've drank a hundred gallons of vodka since I watched the live action series, so my memory of things prior to that is iffy at best.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved the cartoon and think I enjoyed the first live action show, although it fell into that period where I was way less interested in that kind of stuff and way more interested in girls and booze.

I'll probably check out the Amazon show sooner or later but I'm a little worried I'll just discover I grew past it and that idea makes me a little sad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well, the new show is essentially updated for the times. It's the same brand of humor, but packaged in a show made in the modern context, if that makes sense. Both what it parodies, and the production values of the show, are up to date.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

I loved the cartoon and think I enjoyed the first live action show, although it fell into that period where I was way less interested in that kind of stuff and way more interested in girls and booze.

I'll probably check out the Amazon show sooner or later but I'm a little worried I'll just discover I grew past it and that idea makes me a little sad.

Trust me you didn't, it's hilarious.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think the new show is probably the best version of The Tick yet. The original live action was good but I feel never quite hit exactly what is was aiming for due to a number of things. The cartoon was a good version but in a different way that obviously had some limitations just based on the medium. I feel like the new show is probably the full realization of what Edlund was going for when he came up with the idea of The Tick.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like it helps that the newest The Tick show exists in a world where "serious" live action comic-book hero stories are a mainstream real thing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Tick is pretty fun.

This might be the best super hero show so far, if Powers had a Amazon budget and actual writers we could have had this already.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think the moment that really brought it home for me was "Why won't you die?!" "I DON'T WANNA!"

Also: "This hockey puck has a message!"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lint is awesome. The fluff sticking to her just makes it all the better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The new The Tick is fuckin great you guys

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Gotta say, the Good Place is pretty fun.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah, everyone should watch it now that it's on netflix.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
For Tick fans who want to dig deeper, the absolute best Tick comics are the original twelve black-and-white issues written and drawn by creator Ben Edlund, who has also written for Angel, Firefly, and The Venture Bros. They are all collected in one trade paperback that I highly recommend to any fans, but unfortunately it seems a little expensive on Amazon right now. I've read some later Tick comics by different writers, and none of them ever felt "right" to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a new edition of that collection that was supposed to be widely available but the bulk of Diamond's stock is damaged so we gotta be patient.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Party Plane Jones posted:

My DVR recorded some preview thing at 1.45am the other night. Was just a catch up of s1 then a scene from s2.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Was Channel Zero: Candle Cove any good (or failing that, worth the time)? I saw a preview for the new series and was interested, but am trying to find some older shows to fill that void for now. Something like a short/one season horror/scifi series akin to Lost Room. Obviously I know I can watch some of the American Horror Stories but just looking for other suggestions.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cael posted:

Was Channel Zero: Candle Cove any good (or failing that, worth the time)? I saw a preview for the new series and was interested, but am trying to find some older shows to fill that void for now. Something like a short/one season horror/scifi series akin to Lost Room. Obviously I know I can watch some of the American Horror Stories but just looking for other suggestions.

There's an anthology show on hbo about people who stay in a motel room that might interest you. Room 104.

Channel Zero was good. The plot kind of fell apart at the end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Candle Cove's plot was pretty sloppy but it was a pretty creepy and effective show that didn't go on long enough to really fall apart.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also since it is an anthology series it has a definitive end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i woke up with the Sealab theme song stuck in my head for no reason

s'alright. a good song.

• Locked thread