Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

mind the walrus posted:

That is the lamest loving thing. Guess the Brits got the better bit of comedy.

The Irish used up all their humor on Father Ted. Their not expected to be funny again until at least 2030.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Comptroll The Forums posted:

The Irish used up all their humor on Father Ted. Their not expected to be funny again until at least 2030.

This explains Mrs Brown

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's a classic no true Irishman.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Technically he's from the British Isles

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh to be clear it's because BBC and other big papers referred to him as the first British UFC champion when he first won his title. It's a common occurrence that when we have a big star sports or otherwise the UK will report them as British when they're not. So it's mocking the papers rather than just being "lol he's british now" :shobon:

twoday posted:

Technically he's from the British Isles

actually the Irish government doesn't acknowledge that term

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Theoretically, what would it take for Ireland to join the UK?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Theoretically, what would it take for Ireland to join the UK?

Loyalist paramilitaries fulfilling their dream of murdering every Catholic on the island.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

invasion and genocide

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phlegmish posted:

Loyalist paramilitaries fulfilling their dream of murdering every Catholic on the island.

but surely there must be a downside

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A united Ireland under a British fleg.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/tZ5xB4B.mp4

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
OK kids, it's 2:30! Your parents are here to pick you up!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
As long as they have a hot shower and a dry change of clothes available for when they get tired, I have absolutely no problem with that. Let the kids have fun.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo, I played out in the rain all the time when I was that small.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Reminds me of one of my favourite images ever:

To be young again and able to be so happy :sigh:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gorilla Salad posted:

Reminds me of one of my favourite images ever:

To be young again and able to be so happy :sigh:

She's so happy :3:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That kid just loves singin' in the rain.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

gonna interrupt this with a good old-fashioned no-ring goatse

Found this in the wild while I was grocery shopping. Had to tell my wife I forgot something and go ahead without me because I did not want to get caught taking this picture and have to explain it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Who the hell installs a set of children's slides and then goes "Hmmm, something's missing ... I know, let's put a huge pile of rocks right next to this play equipment!"
:psyduck:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
playgrounds when I was little were loving death traps. Everything was metal, and the slides were like almost criminally negligent high.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Randaconda posted:

playgrounds when I was little were loving death traps. Everything was metal, and the slides were like almost criminally negligent high.

The old burning hot metal slides were awesome.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sassassin posted:

The old burning hot metal slides were awesome.

Right? Nothing like going down a slide that had been in the Florida sun all day.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
When I was a kid, the park playground near my house had these big cement structures which were actually intended for children to play on. One was a group of vertical cement tubes, about 5 feet high and three feet across, with a couple random holes to use as footholds to... Climb inside them? Another was a group of wavy 6 foot high cement walls, again with random holes. The third was a huge horizontal cement tube, elevated so you could crawl under it, then inside, then climb on top.

All of these were surrounded by a ring of cement to keep about half an inch of sand around the structures.

In the 2000s, these were all demolished and replaced with plastic poo poo and woodmulch for "safety reasons."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Randaconda posted:

I'm pretty sure that ye olde timey playgrounds were deliberately designed to weed out the weaker, frailer kids in order to keep the bloodlines strong or something

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm the kid wearing the heavy jacket but no shoes.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm the child falling to his death

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm pretty sure that ye olde timey playgrounds were deliberately designed to weed out the weaker, frailer kids in order to keep the bloodlines strong or something

These remind me of Marine Corps boot camp lol
Survival of the fittest indeed

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I love that some of the olde timey slides were just two poles without any metal sheeting between them and they were about two storeys tall and steep as gently caress. What could possible go wrong?

Edit: things often weren't much better even after they figured out that they should actually add a chute to the slides. If you took this one too fast it was pretty much guaranteed to slingshot you through the air so you'd land right on the metal edge

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Aug 27, 2017

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I love that some of the olde timey slides were just two poles without any metal sheeting between them and they were about two storeys tall and steep as gently caress. What could possible go wrong?

Going up a slide predates going down a slide by several years.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Comptroll The Forums posted:

When I was a kid, the park playground near my house had these big cement structures which were actually intended for children to play on. One was a group of vertical cement tubes, about 5 feet high and three feet across, with a couple random holes to use as footholds to... Climb inside them? Another was a group of wavy 6 foot high cement walls, again with random holes. The third was a huge horizontal cement tube, elevated so you could crawl under it, then inside, then climb on top.

All of these were surrounded by a ring of cement to keep about half an inch of sand around the structures.

In the 2000s, these were all demolished and replaced with plastic poo poo and woodmulch for "safety reasons."

My childhood park was roughly-cut wooden play structures that gave you splinters. The elementary school playground was, for the first couple of years I was there, nothing but big rocks to climb, but then snakes made nests in between them so they got rid of the rocks and built these, you guess it, wooden structures that gave you splinters.

Insert meme here about how kids today are too soft.

Unrelated photo, but I love this stock image CNN used for a Whole Foods story.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
What's funny about those early 20th century playgrounds is that they were considered the safe alternative to having the little kids play in the street and get crushed by horses or horseless carriages.

http://www.denverpost.com/2014/06/06/vanishing-playgrounds-photographers-book-documents-vintage-equipment/

That giant rocket ship looks super fun

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

What's funny about those early 20th century playgrounds is that they were considered the safe alternative to having the little kids play in the street and get crushed by horses or horseless carriages.

http://www.denverpost.com/2014/06/06/vanishing-playgrounds-photographers-book-documents-vintage-equipment/

Yeah old playgrounds were far cooler than modern ones. There was basically that exact rocketship in a playground near my grandparent's place when I was growing up and it was my favorite thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

canyoneer posted:

Haha we had that exact same rocketship in the city park in Ukiah, CA. In fact it's still there, and my brother's two daughters go absolutely apeshit over it when they come to visit :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Data Graham posted:

Haha we had that exact same rocketship in the city park in Ukiah, CA. In fact it's still there, and my brother's two daughters go absolutely apeshit over it when they come to visit :3:

I've actually seen one of those rusting away outside a car dealership here in Australia.

new friend from school posted:

These remind me of Marine Corps boot camp lol
Survival of the fittest indeed

How else are you going to grow big and strong to fight off Nazi's and the dreaded Red Menace of Communism? :patriot:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I remember rocketships and these ugly fuckers:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/chasing-the-vanishing-playgrounds-of-our-youth/

Actually, this is the playground article I was thinking about. Turns out there were a ton of those rocket ship playgrounds all over the country in the 50s and 60s, because rockets are rad

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
I was a little kid in the mid 60s in Dayton, OH, and Island Park offered not only the typical potentially deadly playground equipment, but also an old retired fire truck, and (due to the proximity to Wright-Patterson AFB), a loving F-86. To this day, I've never forgotten playing around in the bubble-less cockpit of that plane. Kids need cool poo poo to gently caress around with.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I remember a giant rocketship too at my preschool. It was in the courtyard and the building was built in 1969, just the right time for SPACE to be in the minds of all children. I attended in the early 90s so it was a bit rusty with flaking paint, but it seemed enormously tall.

I also seem to recall a number of other space themed equipment, like Apollo capsule jungle gyms.

They seemed old to me even when I was little and I didn't recognize the shape. I found a Pinterest page full of playground equipment from the past, which is ringing a lot of nostalgia bells in my brain.

Now my local playground has a jungle gym made with some kind of bungee cords which looks like you could strangle yourself on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I was a little kid in the mid 60s in Dayton, OH, and Island Park offered not only the typical potentially deadly playground equipment, but also an old retired fire truck, and (due to the proximity to Wright-Patterson AFB), a loving F-86. To this day, I've never forgotten playing around in the bubble-less cockpit of that plane. Kids need cool poo poo to gently caress around with.

There's a tourist trap place called Caribbean Gardens here in Victoria with rides and a big flea market that has a trio of old Main Battle Tanks for kids to climb on. At least, they had them in the early 00's the last time I went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Near my folks' place there's a vintage playground and they take out bits of it, more and more every year :smith: