Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Max Wilco posted:

If Jon came out and apologized for the things he said in the past, would you watch or support his content again?

I would say good for him, but no. Once you've willingly thrown in your lot with neo-nazis, "white nationalists", the "alt-right" and whatever other bullshit little smokescreen names they drum up, there's only so much you can say in apology, it showed that on some core level you're not someone I can trust. Like it takes a pretty massive flaw in your character to ever go that far down, even if you come back up, what's to stop you from joining any other gaggle of extremist turds in the future? In Jon's case, even if they fully swore off the nazis, I could see someone like them getting duped again by another "identity movement" that's really just another cover for people to be a hateful, violent bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

I would say good for him, but no. Once you've willingly thrown in your lot with neo-nazis, "white nationalists", the "alt-right" and whatever other bullshit little smokescreen names they drum up, there's only so much you can say in apology, it showed that on some core level you're not someone I can trust. Like it takes a pretty massive flaw in your character to ever go that far down, even if you come back up, what's to stop you from joining any other gaggle of extremist turds in the future? In Jon's case, even if they fully swore off the nazis, I could see someone like them getting duped again by another "identity movement" that's really just another cover for people to be a hateful, violent bastards.

Exactly. This is something that requires a thorough cult-deprograming style change of mindset and a lot of vigorous and sincere works of contrition to scrub even sort of clean. And even then it doesn't fully wash out because he'll always have "Hey, you remember when JonTron used to be a Nazi" hanging over him for as long as people are willing and able to remember it.

He is, for better or worse, a minor celebrity in the digital era where the Internet never forgets. And even if he pulls a complete 180, the Internet will never forget that Jonathan Jafari was an open Nazi sympathizer at one point in his life.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

To be honest I just never found JonTron terribly funny or interesting. So I probably wouldn't watch his stuff. So if he apologized I'd appreciate it, but not going to pitty watch someone's content because they said a good thing (tm). Also he's blatantly working as an advertiser for major game publishers which is instantly scummy even if he wasn't a racist poo poo heel.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

nine-gear crow posted:

Exactly. This is something that requires a thorough cult-deprograming style change of mindset and a lot of vigorous and sincere works of contrition to scrub even sort of clean.

Yep and since you know that's laughably unlikely, if they ever did decide to come up front and go "You know, these nazis were lovely and horrible, who knew!" I'd almost expect their next big blow up to be when they join 'The Persian People's Revival' or something equally dodgy, that ends up being more extremists pushing bullshit ideology on anyone who'll take as already said.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
he was bad because he kept advertising for lootcrate

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

If Jon came out and apologized for the things he said in the past, would you watch or support his content again?

Yeah sure, but he'd have to put in some loving work in before that ever happened. I'm talking Daryl Davis level 'convinced KKK members to not be KKK members' level work. Anything less than that for years consistently and I couldn't give a gently caress.

Terrible Opinions posted:

To be honest I just never found JonTron terribly funny or interesting. So I probably wouldn't watch his stuff. So if he apologized I'd appreciate it, but not going to pitty watch someone's content because they said a good thing (tm). Also he's blatantly working as an advertiser for major game publishers which is instantly scummy even if he wasn't a racist poo poo heel.

Okay, mind going into detail for this because it's just kinda sliding off of me? Is the issue that they're already huge and don't need the extra advertisement or something else?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

It came up in Hbomberguy's Bethesda video but he is one of those youtubers who get sponsored by the publishers to talk about how great the game is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Trojan Kaiju posted:

It came up in Hbomberguy's Bethesda video but he is one of those youtubers who get sponsored by the publishers to talk about how great the game is.

Oh, is this about how they'll give games to streamers or youtubers who're already fans of the series and stuff- and thus less critical of flaws- to get around anyone giving them negative press?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tired Moritz posted:

he was bad because he kept advertising for lootcrate
The only good lootcrate videos are Ashens, cause he shits on them for the junk they usually are.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I still love that one of the crate companies pranked Ashens by sending him a whole box of the balloon crowns he bitched about. It was so completely tone deaf.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
And in sadder news, Phelan has had a death in the family, https://twitter.com/Phelous/status/901810328568307712

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

If Jon came out and apologized for the things he said in the past, would you watch or support his content again? He's been pretty quiet for the last year or so (whenever it was when he had that debate with Omni). I haven't seen or heard anything about him spewing hateful comments or the like since then. There's the possibility that in that time, he's reflected on things he's said and regrets them; it might be that he's just uncomfortable about addressing it, or that he's worried about bringing up politics again.

Jon seems like one of those "raised by the internet" guys like Pewdiepie who will never mature or move past a certain stage of idiocy. Why should he feel the need apologize? He's been largely supported no matter what he says and had no reason to feel shame about his garbage tier opinions.

Blows my mind how he takes 7 months with no videos while also being a shithead on twitter and nobody cared, but AngryJoe said he wanted to take 2 months off after 9 straight years of burnout and he got crucified. How the gently caress does that work?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

Jon seems like one of those "raised by the internet" guys like Pewdiepie who will never mature or move past a certain stage of idiocy. Why should he feel the need apologize? He's been largely supported no matter what he says and had no reason to feel shame about his garbage tier opinions.

Blows my mind how he takes 7 months with no videos while also being a shithead on twitter and nobody cared, but AngryJoe said he wanted to take 2 months off after 9 straight years of burnout and he got crucified. How the gently caress does that work?

Apparently as long as you don't say when you're on hiatus people won't mind. If you said that you're taking a break, they hear "I'm a lazy person who does not respect my fans."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Has he lost a lot of subscribers since all of this happened? I know i unfollowed him, which was no big loss anyway because his video output even before it turned out he was a Nazi was not good

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Has he lost a lot of subscribers since all of this happened? I know i unfollowed him, which was no big loss anyway because his video output even before it turned out he was a Nazi was not good

Doesn't seem like it. But his growth slowed by quite a margin.

I'm sure a lot of the people who bailed got replaced by the Pepes he courted. I also wouldn't be surprised if he ran into issues with Maker. Disney would back away from such things if they found out.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

New Everworld review

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hbomber, wrong on star wars, wrong on mac and cheese

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/901813912118669312

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

Is that the discount crap you can get for 30 cents a box?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Leal posted:

Is that the discount crap you can get for 30 cents a box?

That's literally it, he even imported it. Somehow I'm going to have to reconcile with the fact that Hbomb is now some kind of cyberterrorist of good culinary tradition.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

If Jon came out and apologized for the things he said in the past, would you watch or support his content again? He's been pretty quiet for the last year or so (whenever it was when he had that debate with Omni). I haven't seen or heard anything about him spewing hateful comments or the like since then. There's the possibility that in that time, he's reflected on things he's said and regrets them; it might be that he's just uncomfortable about addressing it, or that he's worried about bringing up politics again.

Probably. Jontron's removed his old videos in the past for using language he regretted later so he's at least capable of introspection and change. I seriously doubt he'd ever actually come out and post a public apology, though, unless Maker made him do it. His usual response to controversy is to lay low for a bit and then never acknowledge it ever again.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
wow, I knew it. Hbomber is truly the worst internet critic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

Not even Kraft Dinner. It's like I don't even know you any more.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

New Butt Order posted:

Probably. Jontron's removed his old videos in the past for using language he regretted later so he's at least capable of introspection and change.

Was this before or after they had to edit out his n-word usage in Game Grumps?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

business hammocks posted:

Not even Kraft Dinner. It's like I don't even know you any more.

Whoa, could someone get Haag on the phone?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

That's literally it, he even imported it. Somehow I'm going to have to reconcile with the fact that Hbomb is now some kind of cyberterrorist of good culinary tradition.

Well we already knew he was British.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

sexpig by night posted:

Well gently caress, now I have to walk through the storm of smoke engulfing my city to go buy some mac.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, mind going into detail for this because it's just kinda sliding off of me? Is the issue that they're already huge and don't need the extra advertisement or something else?
Just in general if you're supposed to be commentating or criticizing something you shouldn't be accepting money from the people who make it. It is a conflict of interests that makes your opinion on anything to do with them suspect.

Then you also have the companies he's partying to, particularly EA and WB, just in general being bad companies that blatantly abuse their employees and hate their customers. If you help out EA's marketing you are directly supporting and endorsing their blatant wage theft, mass firings, and verbal abuse of their employees.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Why are we not bringing up the base level issue, that Mac and Cheese is inferior to shells and cheese?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

sexpig by night posted:

No chili.

Sentence: Guillotine.

E:

MisterBibs posted:

Why are we not bringing up the base level issue, that Mac and Cheese is inferior to shells and cheese?

This also.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Mods, please perma Harry Bombman forever. THank yo

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

:agreed:

If I'm going boxed macaroni I go shells and white cheddar or bust.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
annies discontinued their 'mexican' mac n cheese a while ago and I will never forgive them for that because it was the bomb

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

IronicDongz posted:

annies discontinued their 'mexican' mac n cheese a while ago and I will never forgive them for that because it was the bomb

Just get some Tapatío (or other local hot sauce) and mix it in whatever mac you got. It's pretty fantastic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mac and cheese with some pickled chili's on top does sound kinda great now when I think about it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
All this talk about mac & cheese makes me want to learn more about disturbed reclusive artists who wrote self-insert fiction and drew pictures of young girls getting violently mutilated.

Yum!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

wow, I knew it. Hbomber is truly the worst internet critic.

Aww man, this is like finding out your favorite actor is a neo-nazi! Or likes the Marvel movies!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

This was actually really good. THanks for sharing.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRlvDKcDvsI

outsiderartkino

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

WampaLord posted:

Was this before or after they had to edit out his n-word usage in Game Grumps?

I forgot about that. He did once mention he had regrets about getting involved in GG but I don't think that was the reason.

Unsubbing from Jontron was easy since his content went to poo poo once he tried to start covering movies (a million people already do that, Jon, and they're all better at it than you) but it would be nice if he decided to be a decent person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The thing about JonTron that ultimately baffles me is that by and large he does seem like a genial, affable guy both on and off camera, so when he starts saying all this horribly racist poo poo it's incredibly jarring. People like Sargon, Thunderf00t, Armored Skeptic, The Golden One, Jordan Owen and Davis Aurini you can at least tell off the bat are utter massive pricks because that cold, frustrated anger with the world around them they have just exudes out of every inch of their being. You can see it in their faces and hear it in their voices as they talk. It's staring down the loving Night King.

JonTron is like if my throw pillow started whispering about the inherent inferiority of black people. ...Which is actually even creepier, now that I think about it.

• Locked thread