Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

double nine posted:

dude, I've been to Cuba. It's poor as gently caress and if your message is "live like a third world shithole* to save our planet" then you've already lost.

Cuba is far from a "third world shithole" they have a lower infant mortality than the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

SavageGentleman is. Maybe you should pay some attention:

quote:

Have you processed the fact that global trade politics are a big reason why subsistence farmers are having such a bad time?

Actually doesn't say "we should all return to the fields and become subsitence farmers" but don't let that stop you from dunking on some strawmen.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Cuba is poor by accident. Fidel Castro did not come to power promising to keep them poor in the name of the environment, or even to prioritize the environment over economic growth. He, like just about every other leader in the modern world, promised economic growth. He wanted to lift Cubans out of poverty. Unfortunately the method he chose was turning the country into a giant sugar plantation for the Soviet Union, which led to an economic depression when the USSR dissolved that it still hasn't fully recovered from. Oh, and there was a big embargo that wasn't doing them any favors either. Holding it up as an environmental success story is insane.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Oh I'm not saying Cuba is an environmental success story just that it isn't a "third world shithole".

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

Oh I'm not saying Cuba is an environmental success story just that it isn't a "third world shithole".

Yeah I dislike that term a lot. I was mainly responding to Digi, who seems to operate under the delusion that Marxist-Leninist revolutionaries want to keep the poor poor, when their whole philosophy is more like the exact opposite.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

double nine posted:

dude, I've been to Cuba. It's poor as gently caress and if your message is "live like a third world shithole* to save our planet" then you've already lost. Because no-one wants to live like that when there are other alternatives. The Cubans sure as gently caress don't want to live like that. Also, Cuba exports a lot of commercial agricultural goods (sugar, tobacco) in order to import foodstuffs. Self-reliant my rear end.

*not a statement on the people but only on the living conditions

There are more than 3 billion people in the world living in poverty. Are you suggesting, in the climate change thread, that there exists a pathway where we can bring every single person in the world to first world conditions? Cause if you are, you are an idiot.
But if your suggesting that first worlders like yourself will be incredibly resistant to climate change action that would diminish your current standard of living due to selfishness, then yes, I agree with you.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

NewForumSoftware posted:

Yeah, it's second world.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
It's just endlessly hilarious watching goony motherfuckers moaning that subsistence farming is a miserable hellish existence where the living envy the dead, and then you have a country next door that successfully avoided famine thanks to subsistence farming and now has better health outcomes then the US. But in the end, is it really worth it to live if you are a poor?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, it's second world.

I kind of hate the terms "first world" "second world" and "third world" but yes, Cuba is closer to China or Russia than South Sudan.

Digiwizzard posted:

It's just endlessly hilarious watching goony motherfuckers moaning that subsistence farming is a miserable hellish existence where the living envy the dead, and then you have a country next door that successfully avoided famine thanks to subsistence farming and now has better health outcomes then the US. But in the end, is it really worth it to live if you are a poor?

"subsistence farming" is miserable because it's a term that describes miserable farming. it's just a bad term to hold on to, you don't want everyone toiling in the fields to provide their own food. that being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with advocating for more local sources of food and for the implementation of more sustainable farming methods

the choice isn't industrial farming or subsistence farming, it's about modifying our economy to properly value the externalities

people are right that most people won't sign up for lower standards of living voluntarily if there's a viable alternative. unfortunately they don't understand that the currently viable "alternative" simply won't be in a world where we properly price carbon emissions, environmental damage, etc

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 27, 2017

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

*ahem* Actually, I've been to Cuba. I was there for two weeks on a trip with my family. And we thought it would be cool to have a bbq on the beach so my brother went to the market to get some burgers but the market didn't have burgers so we couldn't have a bbq and had to have dinner in the resort. disgusting. no way can fight climate change like this. I'll wait till invent fusion thank you very much

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Minge Binge posted:

There are more than 3 billion people in the world living in poverty. Are you suggesting, in the climate change thread, that there exists a pathway where we can bring every single person in the world to first world conditions?

Of course there is. Many countries have transformed from poor to rich, or at the very least to less poor.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Also it's worth mentioning that for all the "but do you want third worlders to starve! that's what will happen if you oppose industrial farming!" people aren't dying in the developing world because we (as a global society) don't have enough food, it's completely a distribution problem.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

I kind of hate the terms "first world" "second world" and "third world" but yes, Cuba is closer to China or Russia than South Sudan.
They're perfectly sensible terms in the right context, that context being Cold War alignment.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Gotta love shithead American tourists LMFAOing it up to the idea that there are negative aspects to poverty and that poor people might want to escape it

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Digiwizzard posted:

I live in area with some of the shittiest growing weather in north america. Not only that, it's the poorest (That's not including mexico). Many older people here had to rely on subsistence farming. Now that the province has urbanized and developed the infrastructure for transportation, subsistence farming isn't required. But guess what, people actually like gardening and growing their own food. There's a huge culture of gardening, foraging and hunting here. The parents teach their kids how the land can nourish them. And new generations continue that tradition. Because It's actually a pretty dope thing to do. Community gardens, bullshitting with your neighbors how to get rid of slugs, picking berries with your loved one, seeing your kid get his mind blown when he picks a zucchini the size of his torso, hunting with your buddies.

You stupid loving nerds need to realize that you can live a meaningful and happy existence without you're $5000 computers to play your dumb rear end games.

nerds

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Thug Lessons posted:

Gotta love shithead American tourists LMFAOing it up to the idea that there are negative aspects to poverty and that poor people might want to escape it

This is the exact rhetorical style Stephan Miller used while debating Jim Acosta.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

Also it's worth mentioning that for all the "but do you want third worlders to starve! that's what will happen if you oppose industrial farming!" people aren't dying in the developing world because we (as a global society) don't have enough food, it's completely a distribution problem.

I don't think anyone is really making that specific claim. Obviously poor countries don't rely on industrial farming for their food supply. However without economic growth and industrial development the third world can, at best, remain in poverty, and more realistically they'd slip further into poverty to the point of causing mass death.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Thug Lessons posted:

god you are so loving stupid

I guess that's what you can expect from liberals now. Whenever climate change is being discussed, all of suddenly liberals care about third worlders.

"Oh, actually, I shouldn't change my way of life until every poor person has had an opportunity to live my lifestyle. Let me know when that happens and then we can talk climate change"

Kindest Forums User fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 27, 2017

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Minge Binge posted:

I live in area with some of the shittiest growing weather in north america. Not only that, it's the poorest (That's not including mexico). Many older people here had to rely on subsistence farming. Now that the province has urbanized and developed the infrastructure for transportation, subsistence farming isn't required. But guess what, people actually like gardening and growing their own food. There's a huge culture of gardening, foraging and hunting here. The parents teach their kids how the land can nourish them. And new generations continue that tradition. Because It's actually a pretty dope thing to do. Community gardens, bullshitting with your neighbors how to get rid of slugs, picking berries with your loved one, seeing your kid get his mind blown when he picks a zucchini the size of his torso, hunting with your buddies.

You stupid loving nerds need to realize that you can live a meaningful and happy existence without you're $5000 computers to play your dumb rear end games.

nerds

Okay now do one defending slavery. Pining for that simple, antebellum life...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NewForumSoftware posted:

Cuba is far from a "third world shithole" they have a lower infant mortality than the US

Have you seen the state of their car culture though?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Thug Lessons posted:

Okay now do one defending slavery. Pining for that simple, antebellum life...

what?

please don't tell me your suggesting that growing your own food is one step away from society descending into slavery.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Minge Binge posted:

god you are so loving stupid

Get over yourself you smug little cretin. The poor people of the world spit on your reactionary romanticization of poverty and will drag themselves out of it whether you want them to or not.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
How far can you push this gimmick? Is it racist to be opposed to coal power plants?

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
goats

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Minge Binge posted:

what?

please don't tell me your suggesting that growing your own food is one step away from society descending into slavery.

No, I am saying that your ridiculous and idiotic defense of poverty as a simple, pastoral life echos, almost word for word, the neo-Confederate defense of slavery as a benign, romantic institution.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Thug Lessons posted:

That's not what overshoot and collapse is. "Overshoot" refers to population growth in access of ecological carry capacity, and "collapse" refers to population decline in response. Humans exceeded the earth's natural carrying capacity sometime in distant prehistory, but there was never a corresponding collapse, because humans are too adaptable to be subject to that ecological process in the way that animals are. There is, ultimately, some sort of limit of how many humans can live on earth, but it's not an ecological one, and it's probably far in excess of what human populations will actual reach. Hundreds of billions or trillions, whereas the population is likely to stabilize mid-century around 10 billion.

Hey, this is ludicrous. Fire and agriculture may have allowed us much higher than normal capacity, but the limits still exist and local populations through history regularly overshoot and collapse. Humans are just much better at walking away and leaving entirely gutted ecosystems behind.

Also, really? Hundreds of billions, or even trillions of 150 pound mammals roaming the Earth? Where does the energy come from?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Groper posted:

Also, really? Hundreds of billions, or even trillions of 150 pound mammals roaming the Earth? Where does the energy come from?
At those population levels, "Where does the energy go?" might be the more important question to ask.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Sorry I take this rather personally because I live well below the poverty line and I shouldn't have to listen to some middle-class scumbag who spends his holidays in Caribbean resorts explain how I should be more like Cuban peasants and live in abject poverty rather than merely relative poverty. Nah, how about you do that, and leave me the gently caress alone.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

NewForumSoftware posted:

Pro tip: most of the good stuff you hear about Cuba's medical system is fabricated. This is commonly known among Western doctors, especially those who have done volunteer work in Cuban hospitals.

For one thing, all statistics are disseminated by the Cuban government, which has a strong interest in upholding the country's reputation as a "medical success story against all odds." Cuba makes $2.5 billion annually sending its doctors abroad, and that's a huge amount of money for the cash-strapped government. Rigorous studies are very hard to come by and independent verification is impossible.

Aside from that, Cuban medical records are literally kept on paper notebooks that are passed from doctor to doctor. Stuff gets lost all the time and even when it doesn't, older records are nearly impossible to decipher. So when Cuba says "our preventive care is great" and "our infant mortality is really low" you need to take it with a huge grain of salt. Even WHO's statistics come straight from the Cuban government.

Seriously y'all should read anecdotes by Western doctors who have worked in Cuba. They describe hospitals where clean running water is hard to come by, doors fall off their hinges and operating rooms are not disinfected properly. Cockroaches crawl all over the place and floors are stained with vomit, blood, and various other bodily fluids.

I mean we can debate about whether Cuba is second world or third world but at the day one thing is clear: Cuba should not be upheld as a model for anything.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

enraged_camel posted:

Seriously y'all should read anecdotes by Western doctors who have worked in Cuba. They describe hospitals where clean running water is hard to come by, doors fall off their hinges and operating rooms are not disinfected properly. Cockroaches crawl all over the place and floors are stained with vomit, blood, and various other bodily fluids.

I have a cousin that did med school in Cuba.

She moved back a couple years after finishing for QoL and professional opportunities reasons, but won't stop praising Cuban med.

So that's the Western doctor anecdote I'm going with, if we're putting forward anecdotes as evidence of fact.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

I have a cousin that did med school in Cuba.

She moved back a couple years after finishing for QoL and professional opportunities reasons, but won't stop praising Cuban med.

So that's the Western doctor anecdote I'm going with, if we're putting forward anecdotes as evidence of fact.

I've heard that it depends heavily on the hospital. The ones serving the wealthy are fairly modern and well-run. Most however aren't.

I guess what in saying is: don't believe any statistic that comes out of Cuba, or any other country where the government controls all information coming in and out.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I would be very cautious about reliance on anecdotes for drawing sweeping conclusions about Cuba's medical system. If you want to claim they're fabricating a whole swath of medical statistics it should be grounded in something more substantial.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

I guess what in saying is: don't believe any statistic that comes out of Cuba, or any other country where the government controls all information coming in and out.

Why don't you tell the CIA and the UN that? They seem to have no problem publishing numbers

enraged_camel posted:

I mean we can debate about whether Cuba is second world or third world but at the day one thing is clear: Cuba should not be upheld as a model for anything.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/ebola/11375422/Cuban-doctors-take-leading-role-in-fighting-Ebola.html

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 27, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

enraged_camel posted:

I've heard that it depends heavily on the hospital. The ones serving the wealthy are fairly modern and well-run. Most however aren't.

She did practice in lovely rural clinics so :shrug:

Cuba might be a poor country that can't afford the best equipment and infrastructure across its entire territory, but the burden of proof here lies on those claiming it isn't an example of resounding success in socialized medicine.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

There's an entirely rational explanation for how Cuba could maintain high health statistics despite poor medical infrastructure: they have the lowest patient-to-doctor ratio on Earth.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Thug Lessons posted:

I would be very cautious about reliance on anecdotes for drawing sweeping conclusions about Cuba's medical system. If you want to claim they're fabricating a whole swath of medical statistics it should be grounded in something more substantial.

When it comes to dealing with authoritarian governments, anecdotes tend to be more reliable than official statistics.

I mean if China released statistics showing a stellar human rights record we would all laugh, right? Same thing here. Never believe stuff that cannot be independently and reliably verified. That holds true for official statistics and statements as well as scientific research (which has to be peer reviewed and ideally repeatable/falsifiable).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

enraged_camel posted:

When it comes to dealing with authoritarian governments, anecdotes tend to be more reliable than official statistics.

I mean if China released statistics showing a stellar human rights record we would all laugh, right? Same thing here. Never believe stuff that cannot be independently and reliably verified. That holds true for official statistics and statements as well as scientific research (which has to be peer reviewed and ideally repeatable/falsifiable).

So where are the independent international studies and watchdog groups evidencing that Cuba's healthcare isn't as good as the statistics their government shows?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

So where are the independent international studies and watchdog groups evidencing that Cuba's healthcare isn't as good as the statistics their government shows?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/5-myths-about-cuba/2016/03/25/44f0b3e2-f21e-11e5-89c3-a647fcce95e0_story.html

quote:

But while Cuba made great gains in primary and preventive care after the revolution, advanced health care is flagging. In the famously closed country, reliable statistics and rigorous studies are impossible to come by, but anecdotally, it appears that the health system used by average Cubans is in crisis. According to a report by the Institute for War & Peace Reporting, hospitals “are generally poorly maintained and short of staff and medicines.” The writer visited facilities in Havana such as the Calixto García, 10 de Octubre and Miguel Enrique hospitals and describes them in an advanced state of neglect and deterioration. In the 10 de Octubre, “the floors are stained and surgeries and wards are not disinfected. Doors do not have locks and their frames are coming off. Some bathrooms have no toilets or sinks, and the water supply is erratic. Bat droppings, cockroaches, mosquitos [sic] and mice are all in evidence.”

Link to the report in article (I'm phone posting)

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

This a huge derail so this will be my last post on the subject but no, I don't believe that's true at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The past few pages have been a fantastic revelation of who actually cares about the significant decline in Irving standards which is inherent in combating climate change, and who just wants to keep climbing the western consumer ladder at the expense of every living thing on earth.

gently caress all, y'all (mostly) a bunch of hypocritical sycophants happy to gently caress the planet for your own comfort.