Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Latest quirk that stops me from using Google Assistant:

When I set up a timer by voice, assistant verbally confirms starting the timer and the running time, when I check the screen (Timely is set up as the default app for timers), the running time is a different one (from a timer I used weeks ago).

Example: "Set a timer for 12 minutes"
"Setting a timer for 12 minutes. Off we go."

Look at screen: Timer for 90 minutes has been started.

Thanks, I can set that up faster and more reliably by hand, rear end in a top hat assistant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I suspect that is more a quirk with timely considering it has not been updated in two years. Setting timers is basically all I use assistant for and it works fine with the built-in clock

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Blue Train posted:

I suspect that is more a quirk with timely considering it has not been updated in two years. Setting timers is basically all I use assistant for and it works fine with the built-in clock

Same, using the built in clock with no issues.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I use timely with assistant all the time, no issues here

Tried clearing data?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

I use timely with assistant all the time, no issues here

Same here.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

No issues without timely or assistant

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
My wife has an iPhone, and I use Google Voice on my Pixel. Texting works fine unless she sends me a video of our kids or something. It used to work fine in Hangouts, but since it switched back to Voice, it doesn't convert it to a YouTube video or anything. It just says file type unsupported. Is there any way around this? We're both on the same Verizon plan, but I think it's more an issue with Google Voice, right?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You can still use hangouts for texting with your Google voice number.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Totally forgot it was still an option. Thanks!

New question: is there an app that will let me control my PS3 like the Roku app lets me control my Roku?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm having my first ever issue with Google Photos. Or maybe the camera? Pixel XL.

I tried to take a long (20+ minute) video during the eclipse. I was sad to see after it was over that it stopped recording around the 16 minute mark. I could watch the video, it just ended abruptly at some arbitrary point. But it was there at least.

The next morning the video is simply gone from Photos. However, there's the little note in the app that three items are in the queue to upload. Despite being on wifi all night and the video uploading to Dropbox just fine.

Now a week later that message is still there. I don't care about the video, but it seems to have gotten Google Photos stuck, and it's forever uploading something that doesn't exist (??). New photos upload fine as far as I can tell.

I've tried clearing cache and rebooting but it changed nothing. Do I reinstall? Will that mess anything else up with my photos account?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Amazon Prime Video app is finally available on Google Play.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
? I've had it installed on my tablet for ages

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

dissss posted:

? I've had it installed on my tablet for ages

You can install it directly from the play store now, as opposed to needing to go through Amazon's own AppStore.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Amazon Prime Video app is finally available on Google Play.
No support for Google Cast so still worthless.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Tunga posted:

No support for Google Cast so still worthless.

how does amazon consistently have such terrible software? It's impressive how bad they are.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Incessant Excess posted:

You can install it directly from the play store now, as opposed to needing to go through Amazon's own AppStore.

I definitely didn’t install the Amazon App Store or sideload it. Perhaps it was a regional thing.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Taffer posted:

how does amazon consistently have such terrible software? It's impressive how bad they are.

They don't include Cast support on purpose to try to sell their Fire poo poo.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Humerus posted:

They don't include Cast support on purpose to try to sell their Fire poo poo.

I heard it was Google that made the decision, but I could be wrong. Either way, they need to kiss and make up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I suspect you're only allowed cast if you distribute the app through play store.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Casting isn't specific to being on the play store, it's just a feature set developers have to support with extra work.

Amazon's whole streaming service is pretty transparently a ploy to get you hooked on a series and paying to binge following seasons.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I tried out asap launcher this morning and it was pretty cool, I guess. Only thing is, there are no icons for Google apps. Anyone else getting this? Is it because they just updated?

Also, I thought that paying would get you icon packs, not just the ability to load others you bought.

These couple issues caused me to ask for a refund, but I may unlock premium again cause the concept was pretty neat.

In terms of icon packs, are there any that are clear winners compared to the thousands I'm finding? The new Google icons are so loving ugly that I'm finally willing to pay for something better.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Jewce posted:

I tried out asap launcher this morning and it was pretty cool, I guess. Only thing is, there are no icons for Google apps. Anyone else getting this? Is it because they just updated?

Also, I thought that paying would get you icon packs, not just the ability to load others you bought.

These couple issues caused me to ask for a refund, but I may unlock premium again cause the concept was pretty neat.

In terms of icon packs, are there any that are clear winners compared to the thousands I'm finding? The new Google icons are so loving ugly that I'm finally willing to pay for something better.

Nova Launcher + Materialistik

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jewce posted:

I've been using balx icons forever

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Way back in the day on my Windows Mobile 6 device I had a program that screened my calls for me. Any incoming call from a number that was *not* in my contacts was immediately sent to voicemail. My phone never rang and there were no missed call notifications or anything like that. If the person (robot) didn't leave a voicemail then I'd never know there was ever a call. Of course, any incoming call that was in my contacts list was treated like a completely normal call. I'm very new to the Android world right now, but is there an app that'll do this for me that's worthwhile?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Crumps Brother posted:

Way back in the day on my Windows Mobile 6 device I had a program that screened my calls for me. Any incoming call from a number that was *not* in my contacts was immediately sent to voicemail. My phone never rang and there were no missed call notifications or anything like that. If the person (robot) didn't leave a voicemail then I'd never know there was ever a call. Of course, any incoming call that was in my contacts list was treated like a completely normal call. I'm very new to the Android world right now, but is there an app that'll do this for me that's worthwhile?

I loving wish there was a whitelist.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You can set up Do Not Disturb to let through only contacts or starred contacts.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Uthor posted:

You can set up Do Not Disturb to let through only contacts or starred contacts.

There will still be missed call notifications I believe

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Also it still rings I think it just doesn't make the sound

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Crumps Brother posted:

Try this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.menue.callblocker

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I mean maybe it isn't but drat that app just looks sketchy as gently caress.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, I use Mr. Number made by Hiya which is apparently reputable?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Never used it but looking at the permissions maybe. The similar apps may be more useful

E: actually that led me to this which I have installed and forgot about. It works

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vladlee.easyblacklist

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 1, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the best Android phone optimizer? CCleaner?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

fadam posted:

Reset to factory

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Maker Of Shoes posted:

ResetReturn to factory

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

fadam posted:

Buying a better phone that doesn't need "optimization" in the first place

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

fadam posted:

Never ever install any app that claims to clean or optimize anything. 100% of them are either scams used to get permissions and thereby get access to your information or a vehicle for spamming ads.

If an app is such a mess that it needs to be optimized (which an optimizer would not actually do anyway), it should be uninstalled and never reinstalled again, because it sucks. The OS itself does not need any bullshit third-party optimization.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Taffer posted:

Never ever install any app that claims to clean or optimize anything. 100% of them are either scams used to get permissions and thereby get access to your information or a vehicle for spamming ads.

If an app is such a mess that it needs to be optimized (which an optimizer would not actually do anyway), it should be uninstalled and never reinstalled again, because it sucks. The OS itself does not need any bullshit third-party optimization.

Good thing Samsung has this garbage pre installed on my phone! :negative:

I'm not even a year into this phone and I'm already done with it.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Holy hell the 8.0 background notification is a hot mess.

It over-alerts thereby making it useless (90% of people will just ignore it).
It counts as an audible/vibration alert so it ducks your audio for no loving reason.
There is no way to disable it on a per app basis.

I'm still pissed that stock Android can't figure out how to just play music without skipping, but add in the occasional background-app alert audio ducking it is loving terrible.

What the hell, didn't they read any of the beta feedback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

FunOne posted:

I'm still pissed that stock Android can't figure out how to just play music without skipping

What app/device are you having skipping issues with and how often has this happened to you? I can't think of this happening to me using Play Music with anything resembling regularity. Maybe once in a whole session if I've got a super lovely connection or something.