Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want to put 50$ towards Texas, where would that money be best sent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

NmareBfly posted:

This is 100% what I expect. There are so many parties in play that it's going to be ludicrously easy to point the finger at someone else to take the blame for every wrong thing, and take full credit for every one that works out well. Maybe he'll even get a photo op where Navy 1 (that's the presidential helicopter, right?) rescues someone from a roof.

Edit: I guess what annoys me is that this is going to be a big enough disaster that it'll hit the radar of 'I don't pay attention to politics' people. If they pay attention now and see Trump doing Presidential Things then they're going to come away with the memory of 'well he really swooped in for Houston!' and gloss over everything else. We'll see!

There's no way Marine One saves anyone from a rooftop. Donny would have to be inside the chopper for it to be Marine One and there's no way he takes any risks to save someone else.

I wouldn't worry too much about Donny looking Presidential to the masses who haven't been paying any attention to anyone. It's Donny. He's going to go off on a rant about how big he won the election and how Houston isn't even a real city because it doesn't have anything named Trump in it. Plus there's a very good chance he'll talk about Houston's Gay Mayor derogatorily and how this is all her fault, even though she's no longer the mayor of Houston.

Trump will always find a way to horrify the nation and turn lobbed softballs into strikes.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
My best yardstick for this is Hurricane Ike, in 2008, which pretty much directly hit Galveston, Houston and the ship channel.

It caused around 120 deaths in the US and 30 billion dollars in damage. That is not a small amount of lives or money.

But on the other hand, Hurricane Ike didn't paralyze and destroy Houston. It hit actually right before the big days of the financial crisis, so it was almost forgotten.

Harvey is bigger than Ike, and also is longer lasting, but its direct wind and storm surge came ashore in a less populated area.

I think that Harvey will be bigger than Ike, but still a lot below Katrina. I think there will be large interruptions in gas production, as well as big delays in exporting and important through the harbor, a big bill for insurance companies, a big bill for the federal government that will coincide with the debt limit showdown. But based on other storms we've seen, like Katrina, I don't think it makes sense to say Houston will be destroyed.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=hgx

This is the tool for looking at flood gauges. Its not always 100% accurate, especially in rapidly changing circumstances, but it is more so than not.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

glowing-fish posted:

My best yardstick for this is Hurricane Ike, in 2008, which pretty much directly hit Galveston, Houston and the ship channel.

It caused around 120 deaths in the US and 30 billion dollars in damage. That is not a small amount of lives or money.

But on the other hand, Hurricane Ike didn't paralyze and destroy Houston. It hit actually right before the big days of the financial crisis, so it was almost forgotten.

Harvey is bigger than Ike, and also is longer lasting, but its direct wind and storm surge came ashore in a less populated area.

I think that Harvey will be bigger than Ike, but still a lot below Katrina. I think there will be large interruptions in gas production, as well as big delays in exporting and important through the harbor, a big bill for insurance companies, a big bill for the federal government that will coincide with the debt limit showdown. But based on other storms we've seen, like Katrina, I don't think it makes sense to say Houston will be destroyed.

If there is one thing you are absolutely not a credible source on, it’s loving topology.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
We still have another 5 days of rain to go. It's way too early to judge how bad this is.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I really don't think there's going to be an approval bump for Trump over this. Voters tend to blame the president for bad things happening, without any real analysis of the causes. Market crash? President's fault. Hurricane? President's fault. Obama suffered low approval due to the recession actually caused by the Republicans and the voters responded by giving Republicans more power. If anything, this is going to knock him from 34 to 32, no matter what he does. He could drink a magic goblin potion that gives him the courage and strength and intelligence of Obama and he'll still lose points over this.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

glowing-fish posted:

This is going to be an order of magnitude bigger than Katrina. It will also have a massive impact on national discourse because this time it is going to be lots of white people dying. (I know that many Hispanic and Black people live in that area, but the American public thinks of the area as white and that is how it will be portrayed in the media.)

Even if the rain stopped right this minute it would be a Katrina-style disaster from the sheer logistical challenges of feeding and providing for so many people who are suddenly unable to provide for themselves. Even once the water is gone a huge portion of the roads will have to replaced before you can put any amount of heavy traffic on them- the soil in that area is mostly loose clay and a few days of 10+ flowing water will utterly erode the foundations of said roads, rendering them mostly useless.

The worst of the worst won;t really begin until the rain has stopped because modern humans require all sorts of material support in order to function/survive- and with the roads washed out its going to be very difficult to provide. (On top of the fact that very shortly a huge number of people will no longer have either shelter or a functioning motor vehicle, leaving them 100% dependent on government support for all their daily needs.) Houston will need a Berlin Airlift level of support to prevent starvation/deprivation related deaths pretty soon. And it is in no way prepared from a personnel, leadership, or infrastructure standpoint to cope with the magnitude of the coming crises.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

"Ever since Harvey entered our Country illegally he has caused nothing but trouble. Crime way up! Wall NOW!"

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Now would be a great time to lean on our amazing relationship with Mexico for aid, huh?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

I had no idea anyone's allowed to have 4-floor wood buildings in hurricane risk areas.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

We still have another 5 days of rain to go. It's way too early to judge how bad this is.

Bad. Take it from a Floridian, this one is probably going to go down in the history books alongside Andrew, Katrina, and Sandy. Harvey is going to be struck from the NHS' list of hurricane names.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Prester Jane posted:

This is going to be an order of magnitude bigger than Katrina. It will also have a massive impact on national discourse because this time it is going to be lots of white people dying. (I know that many Hispanic and Black people live in that area, but the American public thinks of the area as white and that is how it will be portrayed in the media.)

Even if the rain stopped right this minute it would be a Katrina-style disaster from the sheer logistical challenges of feeding and providing for so many people who are suddenly unable to provide for themselves. Even once the water is gone a huge portion of the roads will have to replaced before you can put any amount of heavy traffic on them- the soil in that area is mostly loose clay and a few days of 10+ flowing water will utterly erode the foundations of said roads, rendering them mostly useless.

The worst of the worst won;t really begin until the rain has stopped because modern humans require all sorts of material support in order to function/survive- and with the roads washed out its going to be very difficult to provide. (On top of the fact that very shortly a huge number of people will no longer have either shelter or a functioning motor vehicle, leaving them 100% dependent on government support for all their daily needs.) Houston will need a Berlin Airlift level of support to prevent starvation/deprivation related deaths pretty soon. And it is in no way prepared from a personnel, leadership, or infrastructure standpoint to cope with the magnitude of the coming crises.

Hurricane Katrina killed 1800 people, cost 100 billion dollars, and displaced a million people.

So you are saying this hurricane will kill 15000+ people, cost a trillion dollars, and displace 10 million people?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
If gas prices go up it's gonna hurt Trump's approval much more than the death toll.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Maybe this will finally get Texans to realize that Republicans can't actually get anything done.

I still hope I'm wrong and that a proper and adequate response is organized and implemented, and there are no unnecessary deaths.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Maybe this will finally get Texans to realize that Republicans can't actually get anything done.

Ahahahaha. No. You'd think Floridians would have come to that conclusion decades ago.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Prester Jane posted:

As someone who lived thru Katrina, I sincerely hope you're wrong.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If gas prices go up it's gonna hurt Trump's approval much more than the death toll.

With this President, who knows. All he has to do is blame one of his favorite targets and he'll get off scot-free with anyone with an R next to their name.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

:lol: Good one!

It'll cause them to double down on everything awful.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

glowing-fish posted:

Hurricane Katrina killed 1800 people, cost 100 billion dollars, and displaced a million people.

So you are saying this hurricane will kill 15000+ people, cost a trillion dollars, and displace 10 million people?

Possibly, until the rain stops and the flooding slows/stops we won't know. Since it hosed up various oil places and giant economically important cities with little to no evacuations or disaster preparedness and a idiot in charge of the country then yeah I think it will be worse.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Cythereal posted:

Ahahahaha. No. You'd think Floridians would have come to that conclusion decades ago.

I guess the upshot is that Florida probably won't be around for too much longer.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

glowing-fish posted:

It may or may not displace 10 million people, but it will certainly hit those other two benchmarks.

Also the roads are already starting to collapse: https://twitter.com/RosenbergPolice/status/901833657891119104

Supporting six figures of humans that need their every daily need met via resources transported into the area (which is the scenario Houston will be at in a few days) is a massive project that requires serious infrastructure- infrastrucutre that will simply not be there anymore. Its going to take a long time just to repair the roads enough to be able to start repairing anything else (you need modern highways to move modern heavy equipment, especially in the quantities that will be needed.)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

They are doing a controlled release at Conroe dam. https://twitter.com/BLifeConroe/status/901817948628803584
San Jac River and Lake Houston expected to rise 5 feet just from controlled release.

Hopefully this is enough and the dam doesn't fail.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well yeah. It'd be the first thing he did that had a tangible effect on the average American. The rest of his fuckups, while awful in their own way, haven't really affected everyday life for the vast majority of people.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

You sweet summer child. Trump is a clinical narcissist who is literally addicted to adulation. Trump will make this situation about himself, hamper/impair any serious response, and then blame the Deep State for intentionally sabotaging the response to make him look bad.

Make no mistake, even Obama would be incredibly hard pressed to handle this situation competently. Texas has spent the past 30 years slowly starving all of its non-vital infrastructure of funds and outside of the areas that commerce depends on heavily everything in Texas is running at a fractional capacity. Massively complicating this is the idiotic libertarians running many Texas localities that have no psychological capacity for dealing with an actual disaster, resulting in evacuation orders not being issued and many more people being trapped in the disaster area than really should be. On top of all that Texas has absurdly loose regulations w/r/t oil production and many of those oil facilities are in no way capable of handling this- there will be areas where the flood waters are turned into toxic (and potentially flammable) sludge by massive leaks of petroleum products.

This is very likely the end of Houston as a major metropolitan area and hub of commerce (at the very least it is a several years pause in that), and its is going to deal a massive blow to the American economy once the reality of how much of our domestic oil production has been destroyed finally sets in.

:stare:

The NFIP is already ~$24 billion in debt, what's going to happen to it after this? Will this be the event that finally makes people in other low-lying coastal areas (*cough*Miami*cough*) realize they're living in a death trap?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wish this kind of disaster would make people think "Well, we don't want coastal cities everywhere to start to face this kind of flooding pretty much forever, time to do what little we can at this point to work against climate change," but I suppose that would be "politicizing" a disaster.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Extensive Vamping posted:

I guess the upshot is that Florida probably won't be around for too much longer.

It's not as bad as it sounds. Voldemort is a soulless husk of a man, but he's a soulless husk firmly in Big Sugar's pocket and they do care about hurricanes impacting their profits.

It's the steady destruction of Florida's fresh water supplies, collapse of geological strata under the state, and Miami sinking into the ocean that Voldemort doesn't care about.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Your Taint posted:

With this President, who knows. All he has to do is blame one of his favorite targets and he'll get off scot-free with anyone with an R next to their name.

I guess the easiest scenario to spin would've been the hurricane being named Hillary

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Grassy Knowles posted:

If there is one thing you are absolutely not a credible source on, it’s loving topology.

He was trolling you when he did that and the fact that people still try to burn him on it is hilarious

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

I still hope I'm wrong and that a proper and adequate response is organized and implemented, and there are no unnecessary deaths.

https://twitter.com/NWS/status/901832717070983169
https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/901834887363219458

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/901838744751181824

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cythereal posted:

It's not as bad as it sounds. Voldemort is a soulless husk of a man, but he's a soulless husk firmly in Big Sugar's pocket and they do care about hurricanes impacting their profits.

It's the steady destruction of Florida's fresh water supplies, collapse of geological strata under the state, and Miami sinking into the ocean that Voldemort doesn't care about.

You gotta figure there are some important pockets that might be hurt if Orlando gets hit badly enough.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bicyclops posted:

You gotta figure there are some important pockets that might be hurt if Orlando gets hit badly enough.

Orlando doesn't vote red, so Voldemort doesn't give a poo poo. He's only likely to do something if the agriculture industry, especially sugar, tells him to.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“theflyingorc”" post="“475798523”"]
He was trolling you when he did that and the fact that people still try to burn him on it is hilarious
[/quote]

The idea that Houston will not be the same city after this is not outrageous and to downplay it shows glowing-fish is still without credibility in these matters. But yes, laugh all you want.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

theflyingorc posted:

I was posting quite seriously, and uncontroversially. I was surprised at the reaction of the response, and sent them a PM to ask why this is such a defensive subject.

The closest comparison we have for Hurricane Harvey seems to be Hurricane Ike, so I was saying, pretty reasonably, that the damage and destruction are probably going to be comparable, while admitting that its not an exact comparison.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Extensive Vamping posted:

Hey, gently caress you too, buddy!

Some of us live here and can't afford to move.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want to put 50$ towards Texas, where would that money be best sent?

Direct Relief does good work for disasters like these.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

WampaLord posted:

If the Cubans can make rafts so can you buddy!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Grassy Knowles posted:

The idea that Houston will not be the same city after this is not outrageous and to downplay it shows glowing-fish is still without credibility in these matters. But yes, laugh all you want.

The mountains thing. He was trolling. It was real obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

WampaLord posted:

I was being ironical, should have emoted. Condolences on your vanishing state. I'll bet you could put a mobile home on pontoons if that's any consolation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread