Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

City turkeys are terrifying. I saw one while driving near Minnehaha falls and slowed to take a photo of it. It charged my car with it's head at my eye level. I leave those bastards alone now.

Also one wobbily "flew" over my car on 35w and I thought I was about to be force fed turkey at highway speeds. It barely made it over the freeway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HungryMedusa posted:

City turkeys are terrifying. I saw one while driving near Minnehaha falls and slowed to take a photo of it. It charged my car with it's head at my eye level. I leave those bastards alone now.

Also one wobbily "flew" over my car on 35w and I thought I was about to be force fed turkey at highway speeds. It barely made it over the freeway.

Urban peacocks are just as nasty, I assure you. And they are loud.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

HungryMedusa posted:

if you wanna see peak wild turkeys, drive along Lexington in St Paul between Randolph and West 7th. I once saw like 6 turkeys meandering up to an open garage door that had some poor family inside it having a midday picnic

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I'd never seen this before and thought you guys might get a kick out of this imgur album: http://imgur.com/gallery/N1tki

I can't post the pictures here because they're insanely large, but apparently birds know how to make lil cottages out of broad-leafed plants?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
American birders might get a kick out of this page: Field Guide to Dumb Birds of America.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Red-winged buttwads are actually some of my favorite birds in this part of the Rockies :3:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I like their song, and their displays are fun too. They're definitely buttwads if you attract their ire, though. I have a friend that lives near a retention pond that red-winged blackbirds like. One spring they had a dim-witted fledgling that kept wandering into her backyard. The adults menaced her every time she went to mow the lawn. She ended up using an umbrella to keep them away. It sounded like an Australian magpie experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3McAc8KIiY

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Mizuti posted:

American birders might get a kick out of this page: Field Guide to Dumb Birds of America.

Common Goon
They stick out in the wild like dumbasses. In the summer-time you might see bunch of these big black & white fish-divers just floating around in the middle of some lake. It’s like a car full of guys in tuxedos, slowly cruising a Walmart parking-lot after hours: suspicious. Creepy red eyes.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Recently found my first Golden-winged Warbler outside of western MD in some time. Also got to look at a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper someone found in our state for the first time ever. Wow!!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Kawalimus posted:

Recently found my first Golden-winged Warbler outside of western MD in some time. Also got to look at a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper someone found in our state for the first time ever. Wow!!

Nice! It's migration time- get out there and look for birds!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Can confirm migration. Been hearing grey catbirds around lately, a sure sign of fall in my area along with the hurricanes.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Oh yeah I'm on it. Warbler migration is my favorite. I only need one more this year for my first ever complete warbler year in MD. I always miss one--but this year I have Golden-winged, Connecticut and Mourning already in the bag. Just need Orange-crowned, which should be coming through soon.

Also RIP to the Chat being in the warblers. We knew it never was, but still sad to see it go! Now just 35 regular warblers as opposed to 36.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This weekend was too dang hot. The weekend before I got some Hermit Warblers, and was pretty proud of myself for figuring out a non-calling Willow Flycatcher (got good photos). Usually I'm happy just checking "empid sp.". EBird only freaked out about some blue-gray gnatcatchers though.

Congrats on the almost warbler sweep. Very impressive!

e: re: hurricanes- definitely worth getting out to your local reservoirs if you are near a hurricane's path- there's a chance you could have some weird poo poo dropped in like tropicbirds or noddys or something.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 6, 2017

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just saw that Eagle Optics is closing. :( Looks like they will be discounting their remaining inventory so might be worth a look.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

It's always nice when you see a spruce tree and say "Hey a spruce tree, maybe a cape may is hiding up in there" so you go and check and sure enough, there is a cape may up in that spruce tree!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Kawalimus posted:

It's always nice when you see a spruce tree and say "Hey a spruce tree, maybe a cape may is hiding up in there" so you go and check and sure enough, there is a cape may up in that spruce tree!

Fuckin Cape May Warbler. My drat nemesis bird. Checked spruces in North Dakota and North Caroline during migration and came up empty. Would've check the spruces at High Island, but there were no spruce trees there.

Here, have a photo of some gulls loafing around on the beach north of Seattle last week...

20170831-20170831-_MG_1303.jpg by Josh, on Flickr

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Saw that Swallow-tailed Gull on ebird pics. That's nuts!! One of few gulls I'd bother chasing after if it came around here by some miracle.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I was going to ask about that one! What a cool bird!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Saw a migrant in my parents' yard yesterday after the storm. Little wood thrush stopping by to sift through all the downed branches and leaves for food.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Some recent rarity finds for me: Dickcissel(tough in my county, also never seen one off breeding grounds), and Mississippi Kite(lots of fun to watch its acrobatics).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nice! I've been watching white-tailed kites in the park near my house. Last two times there I've seen them catch a vole.

My recent birding accomplishment has been that I looked at the eBird hotspot details for the park and realized that I didn't record many trips there. Over the past month I've gone maybe a half-dozen times or so. Now I'm #5, and a few species away from #4. Productive procrastination.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

White-tailed is the last North American Kite I haven't seen. Wonder if they're a lot like their Mississippi counterparts!

I really need to use that level of ebird more. I kind of get annoyed though cause sometimes I feel like birders around here spend too much time on ebird, looking at other peoples lists and just following those. Just recently I went to this spot, that's a pretty good birding area. Got some nice habitat and stuff. Turns out there hadn't been a single list submitted from there this ENTIRE YEAR. I couldn't believe it. I went there and had a great day with like 60-some species. People concentrate on the main hubs, I get the sense because that's where other people are submitting lists and that's where all the birds supposedly are. I talked to my friend about it and he's like "oh yeah, that place is only good if certain winter irruption birds are showing up". Utter nonsense, and based solely on ebird lists rather than actual experience at the area. So my goal lately is to get to these areas that may be just marginally worse than the "main" spots and get the birds there that other people aren't getting. Some good birds are probably being missed.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 8, 2017

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

White-tailed is the last North American Kite I haven't seen. Wonder if they're a lot like their Mississippi counterparts!

Really?

They look a lot like Mississipi Kites, but they hunt prey on the ground rather than the air in my experience. Lots of hovering and flying over fields.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Hey, you can't throw those rio grande valley birds at me like that! Speaking of which, I need to get down to that area someday.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kawalimus posted:

Hey, you can't throw those rio grande valley birds at me like that! Speaking of which, I need to get down to that area someday.

Do it soon. That dumb-rear end border wall is going through some of the refuges.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

Turns out there hadn't been a single list submitted from there this ENTIRE YEAR. I couldn't believe it. I went there and had a great day with like 60-some species. People concentrate on the main hubs, I get the sense because that's where other people are submitting lists and that's where all the birds supposedly are. I talked to my friend about it and he's like "oh yeah, that place is only good if certain winter irruption birds are showing up". Utter nonsense, and based solely on ebird lists rather than actual experience at the area. So my goal lately is to get to these areas that may be just marginally worse than the "main" spots and get the birds there that other people aren't getting. Some good birds are probably being missed.

I think you shouldn't get too discouraged with eBird. Getting mad because the users of a website don't seem to understand statistics and economics on the level that you do is always going to end in frustration. It's great that you're going to less-reported places though :)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
^^^ For what it's worth, there's a LOOOONNNGGG history of know-it-all birders trying to show off– eBird didn't start that. And don't forget about the back end of eBird- all those data are used for research too, not just as a listing/sighting tool.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Do it soon. That dumb-rear end border wall is going through some of the refuges.

Good idea. Visiting there I mean not the wall. I can never have nice things birding.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I think you shouldn't get too discouraged with eBird. Getting mad because the users of a website don't seem to understand statistics and economics on the level that you do is always going to end in frustration. It's great that you're going to less-reported places though :)

Oh I'm not really mad with ebird at all :). Best site of all time. Just get frustrated that people won't spread out a little more or try different places. I noticed that a few more people went to my place the other day after I put up a list. So hope I can help do my part.

^^^ For what it's worth, there's a LOOOONNNGGG history of know-it-all birders trying to show off– eBird didn't start that. And don't forget about the back end of eBird- all those data are used for research too, not just as a listing/sighting tool.

Hah, this is why I hate birding in big groups a lot of the time. I feel like there's such an effort to appear knowledgeable. I was in a group like a month ago and it's like every time something happened somebody had to have some know-it-all comment. Like we had a Cuckoo and some woman is like "See? Did you hear what I just said before?? This is cuckoo country!!" and we were trying to figure out this gnarly immature warbler song and the guy was wondering if it was a Canada, so some other guy goes on like a minute-long spiel about how the Canadas have mostly already gone through, so he "highly, highly doubts" it would be that. As if the group didn't know that already.

Then there was this time we were looking for a bird in this park, and one guy who didn't like the other guy started accusing the guy of scaring the rare bird off. He kept trying to smear the other guy's name, saying like "the bird's over the buildings there. It's gone! Quit even looking for it he scared it off! It's gone!" like 50 times. It got so annoying that I positioned a bush between me and that guy so I didn't have to see him while I tried to find this bird. Of course it flew right out of the grass a few minutes later, not gone at all. These birders are such a weird bunch sometimes! But I just find this stuff hilarious for the most part I don't get mad at it at all.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Lol that sounds completely miserable. I'd love to go out with a small group who knows more than me about birds (read: almost anyone) but I can't imagine turning it into a contest.

e: I can, but it hurts

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

Oh I'm not really mad with ebird at all . Best site of all time. Just get frustrated that people won't spread out a little more or try different places. I noticed that a few more people went to my place the other day after I put up a list. So hope I can help do my part.

Yes, this is exactly the way to do it. I had a spot when I first started birding that had only a handful of checklists. I birded there every week for about a year, found some good birds, and now people have submitted almost 400 checklists.

Kawalimus posted:

Hah, this is why I hate birding in big groups a lot of the time.

Jeez, that's like more bad/dumb birder behavior than I've had in 5 years of birding. Every birding group I've been a part of has been fairly enjoyable, although I avoid the Audubon walks that seem to attract the same ten retired people every week.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Jeez, that's like more bad/dumb birder behavior than I've had in 5 years of birding. Every birding group I've been a part of has been fairly enjoyable, although I avoid the Audubon walks that seem to attract the same ten retired people every week.

Oh man that's just scratching the surface. Another ridiculous story: A few years back there was a rare sparrow bonanza where multiple different rare sparrows turned up in the same small area on the same day. So naturally tons of people were there. There were some birds coming out of the grass so we were watching them do so. And I guess this guy and the people by him were looking at one bird and I was looking at another. So one person asked what it was and I said "Oh that's a savannah sparrow". Well I guess instead of thinking I was looking at a different bird than he was this other guy just says "Noo it's naaaa~~~aaaahht!!" in this falsetto sing-songy mocking voice. I couldn't believe someone would be such an idiot like that! It was just a song sparrow or something anyway.

But yeah this sort of thing almost makes it more fun in a way. These rear end in a top hat birders make you want to do better than them and show them up. My friend and I are always sharing stories about these types.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

rare sparrows????

my bird game is weaker than i could have imagined

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Oh man I love sparrows. Funny enough this past spring I ran into a guy who was here from Australia. And he was asking me how the hell we even tell the sparrows apart, cause to him they all looked exactly the same!! That's kind of how I feel about some of those god drat shorebirds sometimes. Though I'm getting better with them.

My big dream sparrow is to get a Harris' around here.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the amount i know about sparrows is "oh hi little bird beside me on the sidewalk" and the sparrow is probably less scared of me than i am of it. like sometimes they look right up at me and cheep at me and go back to eating whatever it is they're eating

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'll take sparrows over fall warblers. gently caress some of those guys.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Fall warblers are best warblers!

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Kawalimus posted:

Oh man that's just scratching the surface. Another ridiculous story: A few years back there was a rare sparrow bonanza where multiple different rare sparrows turned up in the same small area on the same day. So naturally tons of people were there. There were some birds coming out of the grass so we were watching them do so. And I guess this guy and the people by him were looking at one bird and I was looking at another. So one person asked what it was and I said "Oh that's a savannah sparrow". Well I guess instead of thinking I was looking at a different bird than he was this other guy just says "Noo it's naaaa~~~aaaahht!!" in this falsetto sing-songy mocking voice. I couldn't believe someone would be such an idiot like that! It was just a song sparrow or something anyway.

But yeah this sort of thing almost makes it more fun in a way. These rear end in a top hat birders make you want to do better than them and show them up. My friend and I are always sharing stories about these types.

Mediocre. They should have played Two Bird Theory.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Went after a lifer yesterday and actually saw it for a change! I almost always strike out when I go chasing something, but the Nelson's Sparrow stuck it's head out of the reeds within 5 minutes of me being there.

Probably even cooler was the behavior of the roosting shorebirds. Hundreds, mostly Marbled Godwits and Willets, flew in to roost on the boardwalk. They start at the far end, but then as more fly in the others shuffle over to make room, and it ends up as this shuffling mass of birds that got inched super close to where we were set up looking for the sparrow. I'm still going through my photos.

Buncha big beak birds2-7045 on Flickr

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Went after a lifer yesterday and actually saw it for a change! I almost always strike out when I go chasing something, but the Nelson's Sparrow stuck it's head out of the reeds within 5 minutes of me being there.

Probably even cooler was the behavior of the roosting shorebirds. Hundreds, mostly Marbled Godwits and Willets, flew in to roost on the boardwalk. They start at the far end, but then as more fly in the others shuffle over to make room, and it ends up as this shuffling mass of birds that got inched super close to where we were set up looking for the sparrow. I'm still going through my photos.

Buncha big beak birds2-7045 on Flickr

What the hell?? I've never seen anything like that in my life. That's some wild stuff there. Also Nelson's Sparrow is a cool bird, sometimes you run into them around here. One of these days I'll actually get a Saltmarsh Sparrow too.

A little late but RIP to the Corn Crake. You were too good for Trump's America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

http://aiweirdness.com/post/168537453207/when-ai-gets-into-birding

An AI generates fake bird names!

quote:

Humboldn’s Cuckoo-Eagle-Parrot
Adbau Mungle-Flycatcher
Forest Tern
Red Frogmouth
Freckled Love
Temetai African Pope Catbird
Dufous Partridge
Fawn-bellied Flowerpecker
Lavaranean Hawk
Hothell’s Hummingbird
Eastern Shove Crake
Long-tailed Honey-buzzard
Iceland Reedhaunter
Blood Flycatcher
Mungleh’s Wattle-eye
Slender-eared Chat

quote:

Maddeel’s Woodhaunter
African White-capped Hocky Owl
Fairy-collared Barblering Bush-Roe Hyra
Dusky Sicky-faced Petrel
White-throated Sukbird
Koopa
paucosian Rivetpecker
Hoaly Titco’s Badwinch
Snowy Mourning Heron-Robin
Javan Clamper Leafbird
Dog-winged Buczardle
Red-bellied Pale-tufted Junkletar
Moustached White Owl
Pacific Three-hong-toed Thick-dee
Buttmanxwecir
Mar Punybill
Ledt’s Cockadoo
Mountain-rumpting-Finch
warn-winged Wood-banded-Black-breasted Stesing-Patein-fronted Crimsonwing
Tag yourself.

I'm warn-winged Wood-banded-Black-breasted Stesing-Patein-fronted Crimsonwing, clearly.