Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Lowes offers 10% to any veterans. They recently changed (this summer) so it's tagged on your mylowes account. Give them your phone number or use the card they send you, it automatically gives the discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I am about to enter repayment on my student loans, does my VA disability count as income for income based repayment?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I met with a voc rehab counselor for the initial application and she told me that voc rehab doesn't consume post 9-11 benefits. I want to see the latest paperwork, but if she's right, the form you sign regarding post 9-11 benefits only says you promise not to use both at the same time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah i have 32 months and change of post 9-11 still.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
My counselor said it doesn't use the same benefits, but you're still restricted to 48 total months of benefits. So while the sourcing of the money is different, it is still working towards an ultimate cap on how much schooling you can get.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It is also waiverable. There have been people to get a BA with GI Bill, then used VocRehab to get Masters, because they couldn't find a job in the field with just a BA.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Is there any goon-recommended firm for getting a lawyer to help with VA appeals to raise benefits or counter denied conditions? I've used DAV in the past but they're pretty basic, and given the money at stake I'd be happy to pay an aggressive lawyer if they can get my percentage raised. Any suggestions on how to go about finding someone specializing in VA cases?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Is there any goon-recommended firm for getting a lawyer to help with VA appeals to raise benefits or counter denied conditions? I've used DAV in the past but they're pretty basic, and given the money at stake I'd be happy to pay an aggressive lawyer if they can get my percentage raised. Any suggestions on how to go about finding someone specializing in VA cases?

What state are you in?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

let me know what you find out please, if it's an organization or California.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mr. Nice! posted:

What state are you in?

Going to be in VT; does it matter for these purposes? Definitely open to referrals, thanks!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Going to be in VT; does it matter for these purposes? Definitely open to referrals, thanks!

Yes it matters because you're likely going to need to find a lawyer that can represent you in your area. I could get you in touch with people in Florida but I don't know poo poo up there.

Another thing, work with the VSO until you get to a point where they say you need a lawyer. Until you're actually going to court, a lawyer isn't necessary and is probably counterproductive. Once you're at the court phase, your VSO should have lawyers they can refer you to that will work for contingency or pro bono since they get awarded statutory fees.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
I'm less than 180 days from EAS and was wondering if I'm eligible to have HHG folks store my stuff after I've separated until I move in to my new place- theoretically that could be anywhere from 1 month to a year and half depending on which job gets back to me first. I'm also not moving back to home of record and may stay in the area I'm at now, or move to a completely different state. I'm sure they covered this in TGPS, but I don't remember.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's a standard PCS, with a limited amount of time to use it...I think a year?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hey, is there any type of "Art as Therapy" places available to vets that don't cost anything? I get a lot of the pent up bullshit out when I can create and all of that but when I don't it just boils and festers. Doing it at home isn't always an option.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Make poo sculptures.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Make poo sculptures.

And then fling them at the VA. Say they're donations so that the VA can reallocate its arts budget.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Tape a note to it saying "By accepting this poo sculpture against your building..."

One idea I REALLY want to do is a non-profit where Veterans essentially get referred to the non-profit and they would have a bunch of art supplies, experts, and people working their poo poo out. Music would definitely be a part of it, as would visual arts. I know that people would benefit from this because I've seen it first, second, and third hand. My buddy started glassblowing and he said it really helped out his poo poo. I have little ideas on how to get it going, like asking college professors or whatever to offer to spend time to teach some stuff like how to actually draw or paint, maybe to play music or blow glass. If you don't know how, we'd teach you.

Problem is I know absolutely 0 about it. I'd probably give it some stupid name like "Art is Therapy" or some bullshit to piss off conservatives. I'd name the accounting side something better though because I saw on reddit how there's this whole accounting world where people have to say boring business names and I'm pretty good at skirting variable obscenity.

Just another dream to leave behind me

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hey so, my google is failing me, but does anyone know the VA diagnosis code for tussive or posttussive syncope? It basically means I pass out if I cough or laugh too hard. Can't find it but it definitely exists. I'm trying to write a Nexus Letter for my doctor because my 1 year is coming up.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Do you still get VA disability if you get a federal civilian job?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

VA compensation is not disability. It is an entitlement. It is not taxable income and cannot be targeted by court orders or garnished in any way. Student loan people can't come after your VA compensation.

There is such thing as a VA pension that is more like federal SSD, but i'm pretty sure you're not asking about that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

yes. I know plenty of GS cats with disability. But above poster is also correct.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

The only thing they can take away from your va compensation for is GI bill over payment. They were taking 250 a month from my compensation for over a year because I quit going to school half way through a semester.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So my vocrehab told me if I get IU, I lose Vocrehab but can do 9/11 GI. True/False? Source?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

So my vocrehab told me if I get IU, I lose Vocrehab but can do 9/11 GI. True/False? Source?

I heard the same thing because part of vocrehab is finding a job which you can't do because you're IU. Unfortunately no links/source; just based on the chat with the VR&E Counselor.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Soulex posted:

Absolutely false. I am on UI and Vocrehab at the same time and will remain on UI until I am able to work, which will hopefully be at the end of my voc rehab program.

Ask your counselor to show you the specific reg that says that. They won't be able to because it doesn't exist.

There is also an entire part of voc rehab called independent living where they determine that you won't be able to get a job afterward so they just want to help you with day to day life sort of stuff.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Delizin posted:

Absolutely false. I am on UI and Vocrehab at the same time and will remain on UI until I am able to work, which will hopefully be at the end of my voc rehab program.

Ask your counselor to show you the specific reg that says that. They won't be able to because it doesn't exist.

There is also an entire part of voc rehab called independent living where they determine that you won't be able to get a job afterward so they just want to help you with day to day life sort of stuff.

I'll mention it to her, but I'd have to find something that protected me. She'd fight for me, but she says she rejects people who are on IU because the goal is not to get a job.

Thanks

edit : http://www.disabledveterans.org/2015/01/15/individual-unemployability-myth-destroyed-vets-can-use-voc-rehab-100-tdiu/

So it's apparently not stated like you said, and Individual Unemployability only comes up 3 times in the M82R. I'll send this her way and see what she says. If anything, I'll just tell her that she'll need to terminate me in a written statement.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 25, 2017

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Delizin posted:

loving lol! Should've known with the VA. I have a meeting with my counselor next week and am calling him out on it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So, in another one of the CFRs it basically says that when you are doing IU, they can ask Vocational Rehabilitation to find out if work is going to be a feasible option. BASED on THAT data, it is reasonable to say that it can be interpreted that you don't need both, and only need one or the other. The termination of the other would come based off of that assessment.

However, what I read made it seem more when applying for TDIU instead of it. Which kinda makes me nervous because I'm about to submit my TDIU packet. I mean, if I had to pick one or the other of course TDIU, but I am actually enjoying going to school and don't want to stop. I wish I did this instead of enlisted but I would have never have appreciated it.

and here's a big rear end DAV letter talking about that and giving out sources: https://www.dav.org/wp-content/uploads/Varela20150715.pdf

Double edit:

So Here's the skinny: You can be on TDIU and apply for VR&E. You can be on VR&E and then apply for TDIU. You must be substantially (meaning making MORE than the FEDERAL poverty line in 12 consecutive months) employed before your benefits can be looked at (TDIU). So yeah, I guess a lot of people are gonna call their counsellors tomorrow.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 25, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The only reason they ever stop paying VA disability is if you go to prison, and they start it back up when you get out. For me this is a strong incentive to not go to prison.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So I just had my C&P exams (go me for having documented treatment regarding my hosed up ankle in my military medical records that I had completely forgotten about), what else should I expect next? I didn't really expect the process to go this fast as my claim was only submitted in July.

Given that I'm on partial Post 9/11, assuming I get a > 20% rating I imagine that I should apply for Voc Rehab (although I'm in my last year for my BA but want to possibly get a graduate degree). Say I get on Voc Rehab, does that mean I'd receive 100% BAH or continue getting my 60% rate?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Update: My claim went from gathering evidence to preparing for notification in like 12 hours. :ohdear:

This whole process is way faster than I expected.

Update 2: 5 minutes later my claim went to complete, 40% rating. That's way more than I expected. :stare:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 20, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DoktorLoken posted:

Update: My claim went from gathering evidence to preparing for notification in like 12 hours. :ohdear:

This whole process is way faster than I expected.

Update 2: 5 minutes later my claim went to complete, 40% rating. That's way more than I expected. :stare:

Nice work, also being over 30% means you can claim dependents like parents/children/spouse for bonus bucks.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I think > 30% also qualifies for some special hiring preference and healthcare benefits? Also I guess I should be switching to Voc Rehab from my Post 9/11, unless someone can give me a good reason not to. I'm in the last year of my undergrad and want to finish a Master's in a different (but related field).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DoktorLoken posted:

I think > 30% also qualifies for some special hiring preference and healthcare benefits? Also I guess I should be switching to Voc Rehab from my Post 9/11, unless someone can give me a good reason not to. I'm in the last year of my undergrad and want to finish a Master's in a different (but related field).

Yeah I think over 30% means you get the full VA health care, it was some percent you need, I forget. In my state you also get a break on property tax if you own a home. Someone should put together a list/chart of all the perks by percentage/state.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I don't think this goes here, but I have no idea where to go to ask for resources to help out so I hope you guys cam point me to anything at all since while it doesn't concern a veteran it's drat close to. If this is totally inappropriate let me know and I'll delete.

Ok so. I work for an NGO that does work on Lesvos and in Lebanon, we do mostly medical and psychological work with refugees. Anyway, I met an Iraqi guy in Moria camp yesterday who was referred to work with us as a translator. During my quick "interview" it came out that he'd worked with the US army for 6 years in Iraq as a translator. I'm inclined to believe him as he spoke loving perfect English with a bit of a new York accent.

He says there was no help from US immigration wise when he started facing repercussions for his service what with ISIS taking over his area and so he fled. Now, I don't know how this works in the US but when I served in Afghan with a different nations army our translators were taken care of and rumour had it the Americans did so too.
He claims to have papers proving his service and and such and will bring them to my clinic tomorrow but I wanted to know if there's any kind of program or pathway we can point him and a lawyer ngo towards if it all checks out?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Nuclear War posted:

I don't think this goes here, but I have no idea where to go to ask for resources to help out so I hope you guys cam point me to anything at all since while it doesn't concern a veteran it's drat close to. If this is totally inappropriate let me know and I'll delete.

Ok so. I work for an NGO that does work on Lesvos and in Lebanon, we do mostly medical and psychological work with refugees. Anyway, I met an Iraqi guy in Moria camp yesterday who was referred to work with us as a translator. During my quick "interview" it came out that he'd worked with the US army for 6 years in Iraq as a translator. I'm inclined to believe him as he spoke loving perfect English with a bit of a new York accent.

He says there was no help from US immigration wise when he started facing repercussions for his service what with ISIS taking over his area and so he fled. Now, I don't know how this works in the US but when I served in Afghan with a different nations army our translators were taken care of and rumour had it the Americans did so too.
He claims to have papers proving his service and and such and will bring them to my clinic tomorrow but I wanted to know if there's any kind of program or pathway we can point him and a lawyer ngo towards if it all checks out?

The program he is looking for is called Special Immigrant Visas, but my understanding is it didn't work that well during the Obama administration and that now it is completely hosed under Trump. I don't think they are accepting any new applications from Iraqi translators, but there are other programs to get him to the US. Unfortunately it will be a long road right now.

There is a NGO called No one Left Behind that is working towards getting all of these guys that helped us brought over to the US. They have a handy decision tree available online to help these guys figure out the best way to apply currently:
https://zingtree.com/host.php?style=panels&tree_id=205921049&persist_names=Restart&persist_node_ids=1&start_node=24&start_tree=205921049#24

For more info:
https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/iraqi-afghan-translator.html
https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/iraqis-work-for-us.html
http://nooneleft.org/

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Delizin posted:

The program he is looking for is called Special Immigrant Visas, but my understanding is it didn't work that well during the Obama administration and that now it is completely hosed under Trump. I don't think they are accepting any new applications from Iraqi translators, but there are other programs to get him to the US. Unfortunately it will be a long road right now.

There is a NGO called No one Left Behind that is working towards getting all of these guys that helped us brought over to the US. They have a handy decision tree available online to help these guys figure out the best way to apply currently:
https://zingtree.com/host.php?style=panels&tree_id=205921049&persist_names=Restart&persist_node_ids=1&start_node=24&start_tree=205921049#24

For more info:
https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/iraqi-afghan-translator.html
https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/iraqis-work-for-us.html
http://nooneleft.org/

Thank you, this is a good start. Sorry to gently caress up you guys' thread

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Terps go through a lot of poo poo and our country basically shits all over them. Getting them help is always a good thing. You're doing great work helping one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Nuclear War posted:

Thank you, this is a good start. Sorry to gently caress up you guys' thread

This is an interesting one, please follow up