Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
This looks worse than Katrina after 24 hours.

But then again, there were failing levees add to the clusterfuck during Katrina, I guess at least that's not gonna be a factor for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

This looks worse than Katrina after 24 hours.

But then again, there were failing levees add to the clusterfuck during Katrina, I guess at least that's not gonna be a factor for this?

There's a dam threatening to collapse

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

my wife has family in Rockport

they're ok, didnt evac and prolly had to be rescued.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Activate the goddamn army and navy reserves. This looks insane.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LingcodKilla posted:

There are going to be hundreds of thousands if not millions of people displaced by this.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'm considering reaching out to my half sisters family to host them in WA to recover.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LingcodKilla posted:

national guard was activated a while ago

also FEMA did stage for this ahead of time, they had stuff set up mostly in San Antonio

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I wonder where the Texan Diaspora will go. Will they stay in Texas? Or will they all go to Atlanta like in Katrina.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/...23post475799158

God is loving PISSED at us

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

KildarX posted:

I wonder where the Texan Diaspora will go. Will they stay in Texas? Or will they all go to Atlanta like in Katrina.

Well, a good chunk of the Katrina diaspora ended up in Houston, so if there's a town you'd like wiped off the map in ~10 years...

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

FEMA like many federal agencies is running headless and is missing basically any appointed position because Trump hasn't nominated anyone. He didn't mobilize any recovery effort in advance despite the multi day warnings of "this is going to be bad."

FEMA has a director- the former head of Alabama's emergency management agency, and he apparently does know his poo poo. It seems like the state hosed up by not mobilizing the National Guard or ordering evacuations well in advance; I don't know what, if anything, Trump ordered FEMA to do.

Given the amount of rain that has fallen and is still to come, if you didn't get out ahead of time and don't have a safe place in your home now, you're hosed beyond measure. Also, once the rain stops, it'll take days before relief makes it in to the city. This could seriously be worse than Katrina.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Quick, somebody call Kanye and Mike Myers so they can do the opposite of that thing that did

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Quick, somebody call Kanye and Mike Myers so they can do the opposite of that thing that did

This timeline isn't that great.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

tastefully arranged labia posted:

"Donald Trump does not care about people"

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

suboptimal posted:

FEMA has a director- the former head of Alabama's emergency management agency, and he apparently does know his poo poo. It seems like the state hosed up by not mobilizing the National Guard or ordering evacuations well in advance; I don't know what, if anything, Trump ordered FEMA to do.

Given the amount of rain that has fallen and is still to come, if you didn't get out ahead of time and don't have a safe place in your home now, you're hosed beyond measure. Also, once the rain stops, it'll take days before relief makes it in to the city. This could seriously be worse than Katrina.

Brock is definitely a guy who appreciates the magnitude of what's happening (he was FEMA's Hurricane PM during Katrina) but don't know what resources he has to work with:

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/901796230929539072

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
who would be the best people to donate to for the relief effort? the red cross?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lmao my local CBS station is following up coverage of people struggling to wade through flood waters with the loving Tough Mudder.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Red cross is always a good place to donate.

I believe that guy is technically the acting FEMA director but i could be wrong. Not like it really matters. They're doing what they can.

Also they couldn't practically evacuate houston. By the time they realized how bad it could get, it was too late. If they ordered evac on friday we'd have people stuck in their cars still on freeways right now.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation

They have a donation option specifically for Harvey.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I believe that guy is technically the acting FEMA director but i could be wrong. Not like it really matters. They're doing what they can.

Also they couldn't practically evacuate houston. By the time they realized how bad it could get, it was too late. If they ordered evac on friday we'd have people stuck in their cars still on freeways right now.

Naw, he was confirmed back in late June as one of the few not-totally-insane appointments in the admin so far.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Naw, he was confirmed back in late June as one of the few not-totally-insane appointments in the admin so far.

Well that's good news at least. I haven't kept up on the appointment tracker in a bit.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Not really sure what else could have been done. They weren't anticipating Houston getting hosed so bad and didn't force evacuation due to traffic, if I recall correctly. Can't just evacuate everyone from everywhere based on what-ifs.

Looking at the news and it appears everyone is definitely doing all they can with what they have, but with a storm like this that's still ongoing when no one was evacuated? poo poo, I'm imagining that even the response units are having a tough time getting on-scene.

All they can really do now is activate more national guard, request coast guard personnel from all over the nation to get there for when the storm ends, because the current response assets are going to be loving depleted in short order.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Well, a good chunk of the Katrina diaspora ended up in Houston, so if there's a town you'd like wiped off the map in ~10 years...

gently caress you

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Red Cross, Salvation Army, SPCA of Texas are all good choices.

Also organizations like Team Rubicon (mostly volunteer vets) that go in and help provide services and assist people with clean up are good too.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I miss Adam H Johnston tweets. :(

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i'm slowly finding out that i have more friends stuck in houston than i though.

gently caress.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/mshannabrooks/status/901856722360270848

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Cruz, Cornyn back Texas gov's request for disaster declaration

quote:

Republican Texas Sens. John Cornyn and Ted Cruz pressed President Trump in a letter on Friday to grant Gov. Greg Abbott's (R) request for a major disaster declaration for the state as Hurricane Harvey nears its coast.

“Given the potential catastrophic impact that the Hurricane may have on Texas communities, we strongly support this request and urge you to provide any and all emergency protective measures available by a major disaster declaration,” the senators said.

Harvey is expected to be the first Category 3 hurricane to make landfall in the United States since 2005 and the first to hit Texas since 1999.

The pair voted against a disaster relief package after Hurricane Sandy slammed the U.S. east coast in 2013, causing severe damage to the region.

Cruz said at the time he voted against the package because it was filled with spending that was unrelated to storm relief.

"Emergency relief for the families who are suffering from this natural disaster should not be used as a Christmas tree for billions in unrelated spending, including projects such as Smithsonian repairs, upgrades to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration airplanes, and more funding for Head Start," he said at the time.

Cornyn did not vote for the Sandy aid package at the time, citing unrelated spending, but has voted for Sandy aid.

Cruz was supportive of federal funding after damaging floods left 15 people dead in Texas in 2015.

:ironicat:

These people have no loving shame whatsoever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

....wellllll...

http://www.npr.org/2014/10/29/359365276/on-superstorm-sandy-anniversary-red-cross-under-scrutiny

TL;DR: Red Cross took donations for Katrina and then DIVERTED the funds away from Katrina and drove empty Red Cross trucks around New Orleans to give the image of relief.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 27, 2017

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BigDave posted:

https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation

They have a donation option specifically for Harvey.

Doesn't the Red Cross have a history of mismanaging disaster relief funds?

e: ...and beaten

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
What's a better option? I feel like Doctors Without Boarders might not feel like coming to save Americans for some reason.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dum Cumpster posted:

What's a better option? I feel like Doctors Without Boarders might not feel like coming to save Americans for some reason.

Hey if anything America helps them by giving them constant work.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Dum Cumpster posted:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-weather/hurricaneharvey/article/Hurricane-Harvey-How-to-help-victims-of-the-12003372.php

Houston Chronicle has several charities listed, Salvation Army might be a good alternative.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Hey if anything America helps them by giving them constant work.

We also help speed along promotions and turnover.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BigDave posted:

Houston Chronicle has several charities listed, Salvation Army might be a good alternative.

Unless you are gay :v:

I tend to avoid giving money to Salvation Army, since they regularly use it to fund their religious missions instead of disaster relief.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/gbrockell/status/901859440084824064

Uh, so has the National Guard been mobilized at all?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CommieGIR posted:

Unless you are gay :v:

I tend to avoid giving money to Salvation Army, since they regularly use it to fund their religious missions instead of disaster relief.

:mad: OK, so the Red Cross will misuse my donation and the Salvation Army hates gays. Is there anyone else?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i'm all the way in VA about two hours outside of DC so i doubt this is much help but if anyone you guys know gets displaced by the hurricane they can come stay with me and Monty free of charge.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/hurricane-harvey-relief-fund/

GlobalGiving is starting a relief fund for Harvey, goal is two million.

And here's their prospectus: https://www.globalgiving.org/pfil/29357/projdoc.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Missionary Positron posted:

https://twitter.com/gbrockell/status/901859440084824064

Uh, so has the National Guard been mobilized at all?

Isn't this the Governor that has been bitching/blaming the Democratic cities for things? So why isn't that shocking?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 27, 2017

• Locked thread