Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

AngusPodgorny posted:

On the subject of feeling smart, they include a mystery to speculate about, the Chandrian, which appeals to some people. Like Lost, Twin Peaks, can't think of a book series offhand because it's not something I care about.
Except the mystery is not compelling or related to the actual plot in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I remember back when I thought the book was gonna be about finding his parent's killer who also happened to be mythical god like beings with mysterious and ruthless intentions.....then it turned out to be an indepth inventory management and a mythical currency exchange treatise.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

SpacePig posted:

A: I really enjoyed these books.

B: Why?

A: I found them entertaining.

B: Please point to a passage of the book that was enjoyable or entertaining.

A: *points to a part*

B: No, see, that part is objectively bad writing and you couldn't possibly enjoy that.

A: I never said they were good or well written, just that I found them entertaining.

B: Incorrect.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's telling that every claim that the books are entertaining is accompanied by a warning not to take such claims at a face value. They're just opinions.

Even the people who like books don't quite believe themselves when they say that they're entertaining.

The confusion of "parts" with "sequences" is also important. Instead of things like plotting and dialogue (all parts of a story) being entertaining, it's just some random sequences, like islands in a sea of dreck. Anybody can point to a sequence that fulfills the minimum requirements to not be unreadable, so it's hardly impressive.

It's basically an admission that the books are not entertaining, just that there are sequences in them that someone may find entertaining.

Also lol at saying that the novels have no literary merit while claiming that they possess the merit of being entertaining literature.

it's funny because he did exactly the thing you said he would do

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BoL is entertaining to watch, but is very poorly conceived and written.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWing posted:

it's funny because he did exactly the thing you said he would do

It's true, though, and no attempted gotcha will avail you. People who claim the books are entertaining do their best to stay on the level of abstraction and generalization, at most saying that a sequence was fun or that the prose doesn't make you notice the flow of time.

You could bring up stuff like wish-fulfilment fantasy as entertaining people, but no one wants to admit that it entertained them.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 25, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I don't really know why anyone wants to prove that they're entertained by the books.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Solice Kirsk posted:

BoL is entertaining to watch, but is very poorly conceived and written.

He's already decided that the books are objectively bad, with no redeeming qualities, and as such any arguments about enjoying them (even subjectively so) are immediately dismissed.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, indeed, I have already decided that these books are bad, and in brute consideration of their page-count, have no redeeming qualities when compared against their simple physical volume. After all, I've read them.

Do you imagine that it's some kind of faux-pas to pass judgement on books that have already been out for years?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 25, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

jivjov posted:

He's already decided that the books are objectively bad, with no redeeming qualities, and as such any arguments about enjoying them (even subjectively so) are immediately dismissed.

Remember that thing you said you would do?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

HIJK posted:

Remember that thing you said you would do?

Eh. I decided that I don't own BotL anything (especially after he came and tried to start a slap fight with me in a different thread). I like the Kingkiller books; and I don't need to justify it to anyone.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
jivjov doesn't believe in truth, that's why he can't say anything meaningful about the books. Thus all the arguing about how it's impossible to state anything objectively because it's rude or something.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

jivjov posted:

Eh. I decided that I don't own BotL anything (especially after he came and tried to start a slap fight with me in a different thread). I like the Kingkiller books; and I don't need to justify it to anyone.

alright, see you in the Breath of the Wild thread dude

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

jivjov posted:

What about saying you'd elaborate on your assertion Rothfuss has done a good job depicting a diverse array of women in his narrative, with examples from the texts? That was almost a year ago you said you'd do that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

jivjov posted:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Reene posted:

What about saying you'd elaborate on your assertion Rothfuss has done a good job depicting a diverse array of women in his narrative, with examples from the texts? That was almost a year ago you said you'd do that.

He can't because these passages don't exist.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jivjov posted:

Sure you trying to go up against BoTL is like a playground kid picking a fight with a Navy Seal but god drat is your complete obtuse mentality to what BoTL has been trying to do is the icing on the cake.

"I like this book"

"What do you like about it? I criticize X,Y,Z based on technical merits and literary standards as compared to examples of good writing. Enlightening me"

"YOU CANT CONTROL MY THOUGHTS THE BOOK IS GOOD BECAUSE I LIKE IT!"

I'll help out: What I liked about the book was at the time when reading it Kvothe was basically an awesome badass who smacks around poo poo talkers, never gets into serious trouble, and manages to have "Big drat Hero" moments where he saves the day in a dramatic fashion with sick burns left and right. Then after discussing it and reading commentary I realized its essentially wish-fulfillment fanfiction and those situations only exist because the author made them exist solely for the purpose of Kvothe being shown as a complete badass. Nothing bad happens to him that isn't immediately resolved. It made me realize those "epic" moments are not the hallmark of good writing but a quick instant gratification feel good scene. Nothing is built or developed from those encounters other then maintaining a consistent feeling that Kvothe really is superior to everyone. There is no character growth or progress since Kvothe goes from dunking on Ambrose to dunking on the Duke's wife in the same way 2000 pages apart despite a world of experiences and 'trauma'.

I like some of the terrible overly florid prose because when you don't think about it you get a sense of wonder and mystery even though by breaking it down it seems like complete nonsense and doesn't even hold up to its own internal logic.

What I still like is that while reading it you really feel like either Kvothe or the author doesn't really get just how much of an rear end in a top hat Kvothe looks like and reading it from the perspective of "everyone but the narrator probably thinks he's a piece of poo poo" makes it a fun read when you imagine every time Kvothe talks someone is making a jerk off motion behind his back and the women he flirts with and claims to woo and romance probably use him as an example of a terrible sex decision they made, like "Yeah, always went for music guys but holy poo poo I could not stand to listen to him talk he compared me to a ditty after bragging about banging a sex goddess"

I kind of liked the technical aspect of the magic and the rules and systems in place because technical explanations appeal to me, but the more bogged down by rules it gets the less interesting it became. The original stuff he learned where he hosed himself over and nearly killed himself was better because it seemed like the system was this cruel and unforgiving master where there are rules you don't know and you keep edging closer to the fire hoping to not get burned. The idea of secret societies seeking to control information and killing all those who speak of them is an interesting place to go but after 2 books it's been less then 2-3 paragraphs of detail so why bother push a mystery when its not incrementally dished out with false flags or possible truths. Some massive grand reveal doesn't mean much without context and build-up.

jivjov, you can explain and highlight parts of the book you like, pieces of context, certain plots, specific characters, and just say that you enjoy the overall experience like millions of other people who enjoy trashy genre fiction as a hobby. It doesn't have to be well written or have dynamic female characters to scratch an irrational desire in the human brain.

jivjov doesn't believe in truth, that's why he can't say anything meaningful about the books. Thus all the arguing about how it's impossible to state anything objectively because it's rude or something.

Have you read the Lies of Locke Lamora? They seem a lot like the Kingkiller stories but terrible poo poo is always happening to the core character and he basically struggles and suffers to just scrape by and crawl back to semi-good status which isn't really that good. It would benefit from a similar tear down like you did with Rothfuss.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I have. They're bad but not exactly Let's Read material. I'd rather have Caligula: Divine Carnage if I'm doing another one.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jivjov posted:

:lol::lol:

Good job making BotL's point yet again.

pentyne posted:

I'll help out: What I liked about the book was at the time when reading it Kvothe was basically an awesome badass who smacks around poo poo talkers, never gets into serious trouble,

What books were you reading? Kingkiller is basically a rube goldberg machine of Kvothe loving up and his first encounter with Ambrose involves him being a self-entitled poo poo who Ambrose dunks on so loving hard that Kvothe still can't see his own fault when retelling the story years later as an adult.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I don't really know why anyone wants to prove that they're entertained by the books.

I think you're correct and your analysis is on the money. However the idea that people don't really like the books, they're just tricking themselves into it is dumb. People have given plenty of valid personal reasons for liking these books. "The hero man does hero man stuff" is enough for them. Sometimes people like garbage for garbage reasons, dude. This is a dead end that just makes you look petty. In fact, it gives them an out to regard your criticism as ranting.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The wheel of the thread turns, and posters come and pass, leaving arguments that become insults. Insults fade into shitposting, and even shitposting is long forgotten when the posters that gave it birth post again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

The wheel of the thread turns, and posters come and pass, leaving arguments that become insults. Insults fade into shitposting, and even shitposting is long forgotten when the posters that gave it birth post again.

And in strange aeons, even sympathy may sympathize.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BravestOftheLamps what genre/fantasy fiction do you like? Are there any you really love? Or do you read them partially for entertainment and partially just to hate on them?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
He said somewhere upthread he really loves the Shannara series.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

porfiria posted:

He said somewhere upthread he really loves the Shannara series.

Completely true. The Shannara series is obviously greatest literary epic of the 20th Century.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

:gonk:

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
genre fantasy is hollow mule balls

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Let's parade around Gene Wolfe like we tend to in these moments.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Let's not. I shudder to think what would happen if BotL got pointed in that direction.
I like Wolfe and want to keep liking him, damnit.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'd really like to try to do an edited version of NotW like the Topher Grace Star Wars Prequel edit. But I'm editing two novels right now. Maybe just the first couple of chapters...

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Gene Wolfe is a Good Writer.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

BananaNutkins posted:

Let's parade around Gene Wolfe like we tend to in these moments.

this rothfuss feller, he's no Italo Calvino I tell ya what

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

The future Patrick Rothuss is N.K. Jemisin. Overrated, overhyped, bullshit prose. Second person shenanigans for now reason other than obfuscation of a sucky plot twist. I could do a BoTL length tirade on why her the Hugo-winner The Fifth Season is garbage.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

BananaNutkins posted:

The future Patrick Rothuss is N.K. Jemisin. Overrated, overhyped, bullshit prose. Second person shenanigans for now reason other than obfuscation of a sucky plot twist. I could do a BoTL length tirade on why her the Hugo-winner The Fifth Season is garbage.
By all means, then.

I mean, not in the Rothfuss thread, but go ahead somewhere.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

Please do. The premise sounds like it lends itself to the overtly exaggerated and over explained without an ace writer to show and not tell. The whole job race caste naming also sounds trite.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

BananaNutkins posted:

You're out of your mind.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Jemisin is a bad writer, and I actually wrote a short review for another of her novels.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
These books suffer from reading them close together, as all the flaws in the first become clearer and clearer as you power through the second, until Kvothe is learning to be the best at loving, ever, and you realize that wait this is actually really bad

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

You seem to have really latched on to the idea that if a story is not written with the mindset of its time then it's worthless. How much writing from the medieval or renaissance period from a first person perspective is there to draw on? And wouldn't it feel incredibly fake in the hands of a modern writer? If every book set during that period has to be written like Children of Hurin then most fantasy would be unreadable to me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ccs posted:

You seem to have really latched on to the idea that if a story is not written with the mindset of its time then it's worthless. How much writing from the medieval or renaissance period from a first person perspective is there to draw on? And wouldn't it feel incredibly fake in the hands of a modern writer? If every book set during that period has to be written like Children of Hurin then most fantasy would be unreadable to me.

There were mentioned examples, and the most salient point seems to be that the writer wants to construct and work within this idea of a completely surreal and mystical world but writes dialogue and characterization that wouldn't be out of place when describing a random borough in NYC.

BoTL has often widely criticized the use of modern day social conventions in the Kvothe books, mostly because just from the setting, plot, previous descriptions, etc. you wouldn't expect a bunch of random villagers in a barely medieval society to have modern views on social and sexual issues but medieval views for everything plot related.

quote:

Characters speak (and act) in approximately three tones: proud and bullying, defiant and simmering, or acquiescent and servile – all dependent on their current social position. And Jemisin has a political cartoonist’s sense of subtlety:

quote:

The fantasy of The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is that of a modern liberal, frustrated by their powerlessness in the face of fundamentalism and inequality. That the viewpoint character is also a royalt reveals the inherent contradiction. A liberal value system is fundamentally opposed to that of the Medieval world, yet Jemisin is ultimately enamoured with the mystery and power of royalty, and falls for New Age dreams – in her mythology, the Mother Goddess has been usurped by the Abrahamic pretender, who in the end is overthrown to restore a more holistic state of things. The oppressive fundamentalists and nobles that serve him are thus also usurpers. It is the lie the fuels fantasies of power and elitism: that masters are not evil because that is the nature of masters, but because we would be better masters. This is Jemisin’s inheritance of idiocy.

It's fantasy only in the sense of the core story while everything that builds out the concept in constructed in completely modern tones and sensibilities for the purpose of creating a dynamic easy to understand and relate to at the expense of any value beyond a surface level reading.

There is such a world of difference between books like Kingkiller and Jemisin and actual literature. Not to say fantasy can't be literature or even just better written then what people are used to, its just that a lot of genre fiction is geared to be easily consumed and not thought about. They don't want their doorstopper epic to be confusing and difficult to understand unless you have a familiarity with a wide body of literature and styles.

The main thing behind people hating Kingkiller is how hyped up other people are about it and not understanding or accepting its flaws or problems. Same with Ready Player One, which is a loving shitshow of a book but if you wanted to read something that jerked you off while saying how great your childhood favorites were and nothing will ever compare then it is the only book you will ever need to read.

I think one of my favorite book reviews was of RP1's sequel Armada which gave it an umbigious F and said that it was so bad it brings into question whether RP1 was any good at all or just the raving wish fulfillment of a man child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
When you are writing in any setting you need to make sure that setting comes alive and differentiates itself from reality. If you're writing a medieval fantasy story but everyone talks like a 21st century American than you're not dedicated to bringing your setting alive.

You can say a lot of poo poo about The Lord of the Rings, the granddaddy to all of this, but Tolkien always made sure that the characters, their backgrounds, and the places they traveled to were different from anything else in the real world. No one talks like a hobbit or the Rohirrim in real life but they're distinctive enough to be very different when they're together on the same page. That may sound like a set of small details but writing a believable fictional story is totally dependent on those small details.

Rothfuss not putting in the shitwork of bringing that to life is indicative of his entire approach.

• Locked thread