Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I just finished my 10 as well. Those fuckers are surprisingly pricey for what they are. I think Azorius signet was the worst somewhere in the mid teens, but outside of commander, do they even see constructed play?

For Azorius Signet, UW Tron is the only thing I can think of. Dimir Signet sees play in Tezzerator, but I can't think of decks for the other signets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Commander players like to assemble multiple decks and so certain baseline cards continue to hold value since they jam a copy in three or six different decks, and no one sells the ones they get from new product.

I think it's just part of the community.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Hey Wtwlf123, mind if I ask why you chose to replace the allied painlands with the bicycle lands in your cube? The one I'm mostly dubious on is the Rakdos land as most of the time rakdos gets built as a low to the ground aggro deck that would sooner cut off its arm than play CipT lands.

As a side note, can I vent about people who say their cube supports aggro, but it only has 3 or 4 red 1 drops? I've been burned so many times :smith:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

My cube has 1: Grim Lavamancer. You wanna play aggro, you don't get reach along with it.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Aggro with no 1 drops is just lovely midrange.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Or I don't have RDW in my cube. Big Red for life!

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Big red's really more midrange than aggro. But this helps illustrate my bitch; when i say aggro i mean a deck that says "gently caress card advantage, i want you dead yesterday." Big red is fine, but nothing beats the feeling of beating a guy with a deck full of constructed all stars with randon 2 power 1drops.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
People will only play the "good" aggro one drops like guide and zurgo when aggro needs way more support than that.

Got a good 9 man cube in last night and rw aggro ended up on top:

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Abhorrence posted:

Hey Wtwlf123, mind if I ask why you chose to replace the allied painlands with the bicycle lands in your cube? The one I'm mostly dubious on is the Rakdos land as most of the time rakdos gets built as a low to the ground aggro deck that would sooner cut off its arm than play CipT lands.

As a side note, can I vent about people who say their cube supports aggro, but it only has 3 or 4 red 1 drops? I've been burned so many times :smith:

Because the cycling lands are really good. Even in aggro, the ability to cycle away late-game lands to dig for gas has been quite useful. As has the fetchability.

And yes. The vast majority of cubes don't properly support aggro, even when they think they do.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I have 9 red 1 drops. Can someone eyeball my cube and tell me how my aggro support is? http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/20434

I ask because I moved away from my play group last year and I haven't been able to properly test my cube.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Xir posted:

I have 9 red 1 drops. Can someone eyeball my cube and tell me how my aggro support is? http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/20434

I ask because I moved away from my play group last year and I haven't been able to properly test my cube.

Looks good to me and we have fairly similar cubes. I like your "pet" cards of elesh norn, library of alexandria, and sol ring ;)

Forgot to mention I unlocked the cube achievement of decking my opponent with recurring memory jars.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

A friend of mine has a paper Vintage cube that we don't usually get to play but we got to play today! Forgot to take a picture of my deck, but it was a fairly medium UG deck with Ancestral and Drain; I don't get to cube much so I tend to do fairly boring things. Highlights were getting Sneak/original Ulamoged, sacrificing all my permanents except my stolen Ojutai and winning with that, Draining a Newmalog in a different game but losing anyway, and somehow dragging out a game where my opponent went t1 forest mox sol elf until like turn 10. Was a fun experience, would do again

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
That's because cube is the best format. I'm so excited, a friend who moved to San Diego is coming back here for 5 days next month and has requested a cube event. I rarely get to play mine anymore since so many people moved away in the last year or so :smith:.

On a related note, I'm now required to wear this at all cube events:

I'll be the goon walking around with this around his neck at GP Atlanta next weekend if anyone else is going. I need to get Dan Frazier to sign the back of it.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 5, 2017

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That's because cube is the best format. I'm so excited, a friend who moved to San Diego is coming back here for 5 days next month and has requested a cube event. I rarely get to play mine anymore since so many people moved away in the last year or so :smith:.

On a related note, I'm now required to wear this at all cube events:

I'll be the goon walking around with this around his neck at GP Atlanta next weekend if anyone else is going. I need to get Dan Frazier to sign the back of it.

Where'd you get that, its pretty drat cool.....as in, I need a Mox Sapphire in my life.

(I know that's Mox Emerald, I want Mox Sapphire.)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Madmarker posted:

Where'd you get that, its pretty drat cool.....as in, I need a Mox Sapphire in my life.

I have no bloody idea. My girlfriend surprised me with it for my birthday, sounds like it was a custom job she had to order months ago.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I have no bloody idea. My girlfriend surprised me with it for my birthday, sounds like it was a custom job she had to order months ago.

Ah well, you have an awesome girlfriend then. Congrats on that and the sick jewelry. It takes some serious moxie to rock that.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Madmarker posted:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/206223041/mtg-magic-the-gathering-mox-sapphire?ref=hp_rf

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Hey guys!

I am going to be reading into more on CubeTutor and the thread here, but I had an idea for a Cube. I haven't made one before and I don't want to fall into any easily avoidable traps if at all possible.

At this point I am looking at a 360, and I have gotten as far as this:

I am going top down with 5 legends being the essence of the themes for each color combination-

GW(b) - Tokens - Ghave, Guru of Spores
UR(w) - Prowess - Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest
RG(u) - Ramp - Maelstrom Wanderer
BU(g) - Reanimate - Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
BW(r) - Lifegain - Licia, Sanguine Tribune

Thought process - Every color other than the theme colors should have a way to hose the them (i.e. Spike Cannibal in B for anti-token). Hosers in the tertiary color go into the color pie and should also have some sort of boon for theme (see Spike Cannibal)
Every side color should compliment the color pair themes but not necessarily boost the theme.
360 Cards (345)

I am also considering either the Talisman cycle or the signet cycle for artifact ramp for all colors. Beyond this, I haven't gotten any deeper into it. Essentially I will be building this at my buddy's game store for a way for people to get together and have some fun and bring some people to play casually (or maybe incorporate it into a bigger thing later on).

If you have any suggestions, I am more than happy to hear them!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

En Fuego posted:

I am also considering either the Talisman cycle or the signet cycle for artifact ramp for all colors.

Were you planning to flesh out the Talismans to be for all 10 guilds?

Alternately, you could do the Borderposts.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Some Numbers posted:

Were you planning to flesh out the Talismans to be for all 10 guilds?

Alternately, you could do the Borderposts.

Woof. I thought there were 10 for some reason. Probably go signets, then.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

En Fuego posted:

Woof. I thought there were 10 for some reason. Probably go signets, then.

AMA about colored mana producing artifacts.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Some Numbers posted:

AMA about colored mana producing artifacts.

Well, TBH I know how powerful the signets are in cube, even off color ... I don't know if I want it to be super powered, just fun and balanced. I am wondering if it's too fast of ramp, especially in conjunction with the RG ramp archetype.

I was almost thinking of the stones that turn into critters.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

En Fuego posted:

Well, TBH I know how powerful the signets are in cube, even off color ... I don't know if I want it to be super powered, just fun and balanced. I am wondering if it's too fast of ramp, especially in conjunction with the RG ramp archetype.

I was almost thinking of the stones that turn into critters.

Those guys aren't great - costing 3 makes them extremely marginal. If you're looking heavily at wedge setups, you could look at the banners from KTK to potentially be a 3 mana ramp thing. Another option is to mix opposing signets with neighboring talismans to get a complete set of 10. Mixed cycles can be functional if different decks need different things.

Another thing to consider are the mono-colored and multiple role filling cards in these mixes - this could be a fun set of archetypes, but even the most archetype defined draft formats (think original MMA) were partially held together by strong general cards on the right power level - Avian Changeling and Mulldrifter are standouts.

Good luck! this sounds like a cool project.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Keyrunes are definitely good, except for costing 3.

Also, the Izzet and Boros ones aren't amazing. Especially the Izzet one.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Wish they'd make a cycle like

Gruul Guidepost
(R/G)(R/G)
Artifact
~Enters the battlefield tapped.
Tap: Add (R) or (G) to your Mana pool.

I get they don't want to do colored artifacts outside of Esper but it'd be so nice.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Wish they'd make a cycle like

Gruul Guidepost
(R/G)(R/G)
Artifact
~Enters the battlefield tapped.
Tap: Add (R) or (G) to your Mana pool.

I get they don't want to do colored artifacts outside of Esper but it'd be so nice.

They could make those just cost 2 generic mana and they'd still be fine. Diamonds suck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Pillar of Origins and Corrupted Grafstone make it pretty clear that diamonds are actually better than they want 2 mana mana rocks to be these days so your only real chance is in a supplemental.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elyv posted:

Pillar of Origins and Corrupted Grafstone make it pretty clear that diamonds are actually better than they want 2 mana mana rocks to be these days so your only real chance is in a supplemental.

When is the last time a etbt mana rock saw standard play? Because that's just frustrating imo.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

They could make those just cost 2 generic mana and they'd still be fine. Diamonds suck.

I'd place them at 1(R/G) personally or have them enter untapped but it doesn't really matter. They've decided all Mana rocks will be at 3 for the foreseeable future.

Even just signet's that require (to keep the Gruul example) (R/G), Tap to generate GR would go a long way to "fixing" signets. Because tbf they are extremely powerful even for the off color ramp.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Even just signet's that require (to keep the Gruul example) (R/G), Tap to generate GR would go a long way to "fixing" signets. Because tbf they are extremely powerful even for the off color ramp.

I brainstormed the possibility of artifact filter lands, which would be "R/G, T: Add RR, RG or GG."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I brainstormed the possibility of artifact filter lands, which would be "R/G, T: Add RR, RG or GG."

If they're lands I don't think they'd need to be artifacts. Though I think they'd be perfect for Guilds how is that different than the existant filter lands like Mystic Gate?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PJOmega posted:

If they're lands I don't think they'd need to be artifacts. Though I think they'd be perfect for Guilds how is that different than the existant filter lands like Mystic Gate?

Because they'd be artifacts and not lands?

Gruul Thingy 2
Artifact
R/G, T: Add RR, RG or GG to your mana pool.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I think I'm going to take the plunge and get some proxies for things like legacy dual lands.

However, I want to make it super clear that they're proxies. While I could just buy some fakes from China or whatever and write on the back, I'm thinking there's no reason not to go for a different design. This would make for an unusual set and would also be obvious I'm not trying to pull a fast one. Any recommendations / links along these lines?

odiv fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 16, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

odiv posted:

I think I'm going to take the plunge and get some proxies for things like legacy dual lands.

However, I want to make it super clear that they're proxies. While I could just buy some fakes from China or whatever and write on the back, I'm thinking there's no reason not to go for a different design. This would for an unusual set and would also make it obvious I'm not trying to pull a fast one. Any recommendations / links along these lines?

You could get them with MTGO art for reserved list stuff. Anyone that has any semblance of knowledge should be able to tell that a dual land with that art (which isn't obviously painted over) is not a real card.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

odiv posted:

However, I want to make it super clear that they're proxies. While I could just buy some fakes from China or whatever and write on the back, I'm thinking there's no reason not to go for a different design. This would make for an unusual set and would also be obvious I'm not trying to pull a fast one. Any recommendations / links along these lines?

I've done stuff like this for people, probably a couple in this thread. They tend to be fine when double sleeved, you can tell it's stiffer than usual when drawing it but can't pick it out of the deck by sight.

I've done fully custom...

MTGO Cube art was popular....

One time someone wanted hybrid mana symbols instead of the text....

As a rule, I didn't make anything that could remotely pass for the real thing.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

One time someone wanted hybrid mana symbols instead of the text....

:whatup:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
MoxieProxie has some pretty funky dual land proxie variants.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
This is cube-adjacent, so I figured this would be the best thread for this kind of thing:

I am about to start making a set of constructed decks for 1v1 play. Every other format I play--cube, EDH, draft--are all multiplayer affairs that take a bit of time. But I want to have a set of decks around that compete well with each other that two of us can just pick up and play.

I love the Khans block, since that is the block I got back into the game with after almost fifteen years away. I also have a ton of Khans stuff since I drafted that block a lot. I was thinking of making five decks, one for each of Tarkir's clans. I want to have coherent mechanical themes for each deck, but they also need to compete well with each other. So I'm thinking aloud here about the decks' themes:

Mardu (WRB): Tokens?
Jeskai (WUR): Prowess? (more about combat tricks than Storm type stuff, given what the block provides)
Sultai (GUB): Reanimator?
Abzan (WGB): Counters? (seems a little on-the-nose, but it also seems like the best and obvious thing to do with them)
Temur (GUR): Morph?

Sultai and Temur both have good morph stuff, as Trail of Mystery and Secret Plans are both in-clan for them. I like Morph, and there's certainly enough of it in the block to support it as a major mechanical theme, but I want to make sure it can compete with the more conventional mechanics in the set of decks. Tokens, Prowess, Reanimator, and Counters are all tried and true deck archetypes, so I want to make sure Morph can compete (or if there's another option for Temur besides midrange/stompy).

So, I guess my questions in a nutshell are:

Do the above themes make the most sense for each of those clans, or are there more interesting options?
Is Morph viable alongside the other themes? If not, what are some other options for Temur?
Any fun ideas for cards to include from outside the block that are both thematic and mechanically fun with what the block provides?

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

KTK was sweet, and morph played well because the format was designed around it playing well - nothing unmorphed for less than 5 that would auto-kill a 2/2. So, 3 mana 2/2 was a playable body in the set. When designing decks to play out, I would keep this in mind, for power level.

Railing Kill posted:

Do the above themes make the most sense for each of those clans, or are there more interesting options?
Is Morph viable alongside the other themes? If not, what are some other options for Temur?
Any fun ideas for cards to include from outside the block that are both thematic and mechanically fun with what the block provides?

1: I think this entirely depends on the cards you throw in the decks to support the themes. W/B was warriors, but it also had enough generic go-wide spells to make a solid tokens, them, particularly when pushed to Mardu for warriors. Jeskai prowess was solid, and it makes cheap instants, particularly cycling ones with some kind of actual effect, really really good. Sultai didn't have reanimation spells or worthwhile targets in the block, from what I can remember, but if you pull in some self-mill, fueling delve and setting up reanimator could work quite well. Abzan counters are just good. Temur does contain most of the 'morph matters' cards but you might need to fill with generic good stuff, because thematically the Temur caring about big creatures theme flopped.

2: Morph as a theme might require you to pull some of the decent Temur cards from FRF. I dunno, it's tricky. Balancing how many and which rares to use for these decks is tricky, I would look at how many first pickable, archetype defining cards each deck gets, and if Temur Morph is relying a bit on good stuff to hold together, maybe that's OK.

3: I would think small rather than large for out of block things. Little filler cards like lightning strike, preordain, and other generically good MTG role-fillers can be used to tune the replacement level slots in the decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

KTK was sweet, and morph played well because the format was designed around it playing well - nothing unmorphed for less than 5 that would auto-kill a 2/2. So, 3 mana 2/2 was a playable body in the set. When designing decks to play out, I would keep this in mind, for power level.

1: I think this entirely depends on the cards you throw in the decks to support the themes. W/B was warriors, but it also had enough generic go-wide spells to make a solid tokens, them, particularly when pushed to Mardu for warriors. Jeskai prowess was solid, and it makes cheap instants, particularly cycling ones with some kind of actual effect, really really good. Sultai didn't have reanimation spells or worthwhile targets in the block, from what I can remember, but if you pull in some self-mill, fueling delve and setting up reanimator could work quite well. Abzan counters are just good. Temur does contain most of the 'morph matters' cards but you might need to fill with generic good stuff, because thematically the Temur caring about big creatures theme flopped.

2: Morph as a theme might require you to pull some of the decent Temur cards from FRF. I dunno, it's tricky. Balancing how many and which rares to use for these decks is tricky, I would look at how many first pickable, archetype defining cards each deck gets, and if Temur Morph is relying a bit on good stuff to hold together, maybe that's OK.

3: I would think small rather than large for out of block things. Little filler cards like lightning strike, preordain, and other generically good MTG role-fillers can be used to tune the replacement level slots in the decks.

I'm planning on using KTK and FRF, and maybe splashing a bit from DTK if need to spice things up a bit. I think, given what you said about Morph, that it's important to stay in-block, as much as some stuff from other sets might be tempting. I'll probably flesh out the spot removal and card draw with staple cards from other sets, but it's a pretty balanced block in general so hopefully I won't need to do too much of that.

Thanks for the feedback!