Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

the old ceremony posted:

wildlife rescue is the most badass thing you can possibly do btw. anyone itt who loves animals should look up their local wildlife rescue group, i guarantee you there will be one in your area - and don't worry if you're goony, all animal-related fields are predominated by people who can't really do social interaction (but are very nice) and wildlife rescuers skew toward older age groups so they're always very happy to have someone on board who can do computer

Thread's moved on, but older wildlife rescue people own. And they know how to properly prepare for emergencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nDB_5dxzDM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/JoshChapinKHOU/status/901879730500141056

https://twitter.com/Fox4Weather/status/901855293000298500

https://twitter.com/abc13houston/status/901890004879855618

(I want to emphasize the entire area in Houston is soft clay with artificial foundations built over top of it. As the clay underneath erodes away the road rapidly becomes useless. This will present a severe logistical challenge to the recovery effort going forwards.)

https://twitter.com/AaronRigsbyOSC/status/901889010494263296

https://twitter.com/AlBoeNEWS/status/901893876885012480

https://twitter.com/DonnieCowan/status/901893869930995713

https://twitter.com/WCraigFugate/status/901893496319209472

https://twitter.com/bronxskibeat/status/901895609879334912

https://twitter.com/mlgyfamoffice/status/901895646747140097

https://twitter.com/mlgyfamoffice/status/901895565012639744

https://twitter.com/GoldsteinStreet/status/901895253866692608

https://twitter.com/maria_aguilera/status/901894597101711361

https://twitter.com/maria_aguilera/status/901894017889296384

And now your moment of zen:

https://twitter.com/zellienet/status/901893833599930368

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Throwing Turtles posted:

During his AZ rally he said he was willing to shut the government down to get wall funds into the budget.

I mean, go for it, in my book. Literally, the left has nothing to lose from that. Shutdown the government when you control all 3 branches and look like an idiot with midterms starting in a few months. Or get the wall into the budget and let the left campaign endlessly on how its a waste of taxpayer money and use it for an equivalency on how they couldn't be arsed to spend more on healthcare but 25 trillion on a useless vanity project was possible. Or do neither and let the Dems make the right look like a bunch of incompetent losers who can't accomplish anything they set out to do.

It's good for the Dems no matter what they do with this wall.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

business hammocks posted:

Did anything kick off at Berkeley today? There were nazis vowing to show anyway despite the "official" event getting run out of town.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...24eb_story.html

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The storm hasn't yet been long enough for people to get hungry.

Just wait

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Not a Children posted:

The storm hasn't yet been long enough for people to get hungry.

Just wait
You can die in two or three days without clean water though.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
not sure what can be done, but if i was clinging to a street sign and people were pulling out their phones to video tape me i would be pissed

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

not sure what can be done, but if i was clinging to a street sign and people were pulling out their phones to video tape me i would be pissed

I don't know, I think I'd want people to maybe do whatever they could to draw attention to the fact that I needed help? Lots of these pictures and videos end with the person in them being rescued. I wouldn't want some random person to try to wade out into water to help me if the current is so strong that I need to cling to a street sign.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

The question mark at the end kills me. Is he trying to crowdsource the "correct" answer? Of course he is

It lets him use the 'I'm just asking questions' defence. Being vague about policy is the point -- he did it on the campaign trail to great success, so why should it change now? He likely doesn't have a goddamn idea one way or another so he's hedging his bets and hoping Mexico and Canada fall over themselves to make him happy. Making it a question makes it a vague but defensible threat -- he's not sticking his neck out on it.

TBH I think he's decided to kill NAFTA and just wants to make a show of hemming and hawwing before he does it because his advisers are hanging onto his heels and begging.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

Can you imagine if Obama just walked out into a press conference and said "Hey guys, I think I may have to terminate NAFTA? Welp, peace." and walked out? That's what this tweet is. It's not different from that in any meaningful way. And yet here we are, just kind of shrugging.

It's the suspense aspect of it that he's playing around with. If it's totally within the executive branch's power to do so I'd expect it to be gone by the end of the week cause he probably thinks Hillary Clinton did it and not Bill. Probably Friday when Trump fires Rex Tillerson for not believing in him enough and making GBS threads on Gorka who Trump probably views as a friend cause he sucked his dick the entire time he was in the admin seemingly up to the moment when Bannon got ousted.

No love for Tillerson, I think he sucks dicks at being Secretary of State which is no surprise cause he's supposed to be a businessman but I envision something even worse on the horizon.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 27, 2017

Kale
May 14, 2010

Not even sure what happened here.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This was linked and talked about way earlier. Yeah, Trump is dumb and would rather talk about the Wall then the disaster that's unfolding right now.

There's also the fact that a 500-year storm event is not actually a once in 500 year storm. I don't expect Trump to understand statistics though.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
What the city of Houston could really use right now is a fake rich guy coming into town with a big security detail to tell stories about boat sex he had in the early 1980s.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
So Trump's tweeting probably will be beneficial to his presidency for the first time ever since people will see all his tweets about Houston and assume he is doing something behind the scenes. In reality he is just compulsively tweeting nothing of value.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Prester Jane posted:

(I want to emphasize the entire area in Houston is soft clay with artificial foundations built over top of it. As the clay underneath erodes away the road rapidly becomes useless. This will present a severe logistical challenge to the recovery effort going forwards.)

There's also the fact that structures and foundations aren't typically designed for buoyancy. I don't know how deep Houston's water table is going inland, but I'd imagine it's not very deep and people might see settlement problems for all types of structures for years to come.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

PhazonLink posted:

Other reasons why the Red Cross is poo poo, they threaten law suits for anyone using a red cross in any sort of design.

Copyright/trademark/whatever law is bullshit.

Hey, I think copyright is pretty bullshit too, but protecting the Red Cross symbol actually has a purpose: it's there to shield and protect humanitarian installations and workers during times of war, and if people can slap the symbol on just anything, it'll lose its power. It's literally in the Geneva Convention.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Houston-ish area goon checking in.

So far the area I'm in is doing pretty well, if you looked outside you would just think it was a regular thunderstorm, but it's flooded bad here before and I'm worried it will again. Also, a few of my friends in more wooded areas are doing a lot worse, the water is almost up to their houses and I'm very worried about what will happen to them if this continues for five more days like it's supposed to. I want to give them some advice to help, but I don't know what to say or know if there's even anything I can say or do to help them.

Seeing pictures and videos of Houston being flooded is really loving me up. I've been there, I go there all the time. I keep recognizing places in footage and thinking "I've driven on that road" or "I've been in that building" and it makes my heart hurt and I don't know what to do and I just want everyone living there to be okay.

For some of stupid reason I keep thinking about the Houston Zoo and wondering what will happen to all the animals. I know that human lives are more important than animal lives and I am worried about the humans but I just can't seem to get that loving zoo out of my brain. I've been to that zoo so many times throughout my life, my friend even had his wedding there. During one visit I saw a sloth yawn and I thought that was just the cutest thing ever. Is that sloth dead now? Are the Elephants dead? If the water gets too high will the Sea lions just swim away? Are they going to be the only survivors? Why the gently caress am I thinking about this?

Anyway, I just needed to vent a little and I didn't want to do it to my friends and family because I don't want to make them worry. Thanks for listening thread.

...so how 'bout that Donald Trump? What an rear end in a top hat, right?

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 27, 2017

Kale
May 14, 2010

Stereotype posted:

So Trump's tweeting probably will be beneficial to his presidency for the first time ever since people will see all his tweets about Houston and assume he is doing something behind the scenes. In reality he is just compulsively tweeting nothing of value.

Not the people that are banned. If a person lives in Texas and is banned from his twitter then his tweets are of zero possible consequence to them cause they can't even be viewed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

coyo7e posted:

The thing that amazes me about the Red Cross and how much money it spends on fundraising, is that I've lived my entire life hearing their name constantly in all forms of media but I honestly can't recall having ever seen an advertisement

They get priceless AND free advertising every time there is any kind of serious disaster or even a moderate one, when they're bored and have nothing to do.. I mean their name and symbol are the international sign of aid..!

There's likely a binning problem with the advertising definition. For example, it may encompass all costs associated with getting people to attend blood drives. I suspect there are similar problems with at least some of the other accounting elements- which is not to say that the Red Cross is particularly well run.

PhazonLink posted:

Other reasons why the Red Cross is poo poo, they threaten law suits for anyone using a red cross in any sort of design.

Copyright/trademark/whatever law is bullshit.

They do that because it's what lets them operate in active war zones without being targeted. All you have to do is invert the colors.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 27, 2017

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

For some of stupid reason I keep thinking about the Houston Zoo and wondering what will happen to all the animals.
https://twitter.com/houstonzoo/status/901831157721034752

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

So far the area I'm in is doing pretty well, if you looked outside you would just think it was a regular thunderstorm, but it's flooded bad here before and I'm worried it will again. Also, a few of my friends in more wooded areas are doing a lot worse, the water is almost up to their houses and I'm very worried about what will happen to them if this continues for five more days like it's supposed to. I want to give them some advice to help, but I don't know what to say or know if there's even anything I can say or do to help them.

Seeing pictures and videos Houston being flooded is really loving me up. I've been there, I go there all the time. I keep recognizing places in footage and thinking "I've driven on that road" or "I've been in that building" and it makes my heart hurt and I don't know what to do and I just want everyone living there to be okay.

For some of stupid reason I keep thinking about the Houston Zoo and wondering what will happen to all the animals. I know that human lives are more important than animal lives and I am worried about the humans but I just can't seem to get that loving zoo out of my brain. I've been to that zoo so many times throughout my life, my friend even had his wedding there. During one visit I saw a sloth yawn and I thought that was just the cutest thing ever. Is that sloth dead now? Are the Elephants dead? If the water gets too high will the Sea lions just swim away? Are they going to be the only survivors? Why the gently caress am I thinking about this?

Anyway, I just needed to vent a little and I didn't want to do it to my friends and family because I don't want to make them worry. Thanks for listening thread.

Animals often get evacuated from zoos or the zoo keepers stay to keep an eye on them. People go to great lengths to help them out.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Seeing pictures and videos Houston being flooded is really loving me up. I've been there, I go there all the time. I keep recognizing places in footage and thinking "I've driven on that road" or "I've been in that building" and it makes my heart hurt and I don't know what to do and I just want everyone living there to be okay.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Sending sympathy and care your way, Space Cadet Omoly. I don't know if there's anything you can say to help, but at least we can be heart hurting together. Thank you for checking in.

If you want to vent more in private, you are welcome to PM me.

Regarding your concern for the animals, I can say that the Houston Zoo tweeted this:
https://twitter.com/houstonzoo/status/901831157721034752

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 27, 2017

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
How can you even tell if a sloth is dead?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Besides, elephants are actually super good swimmers who use their trunk as a snorkel.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

no longer asks for chunk

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

REDACTED: fake shark news.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 27, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I'm perfectly fine with Antifa being an organized gang of violent thugs because the longer they scream about fighting nazis and white supremacists, the more reasonable people see that they aren't actually always opposing nazis and white supremacists.

They apparently think they gained enough credibility from charlottesville to be able to label literally anyone they want in the entire world a nazi / white supremacist and all it's leading to is shutting down people that would normally agree with them or their own members being beaten and silenced by themselves because they are stupid emotional babies with no direction other than being outraged at whoever they declare deserves it.

Trump is fine and all but it would be even more fine if he labelled them the terror group they are.

So, if your curious what the right-wing thinks of how the alt-right and pro-confederates were correctly revealed to be Nazis after Charolettesville, it's this: "we are actually winning when they call us Nazis because people will soon see that all the videos showing us scream 'jews will not replace us' while carrying Nazi flags were false!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

WrenP-Complete posted:

https://twitter.com/PSBCap/status/901887857102610432

(I guess there's an aquarium separate from the zoo?!)

I'm wondering if it could be displaced all the way from the Gulf. Sharknado! That said, while poking at it, the account may be an alt-right one spreading fake news.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
+1 corpse. Homeless man found floating in a Walmart parking lot.

http://www.galvnews.com/news/free/article_8d38a57e-e90c-5bfd-b791-77ccf70b5026.html

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WrenP-Complete posted:

All those sharks are going to die from exposure to that contaminated water. I hope they're not aquarium escapees.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://mobile.twitter.com/mad_cotten/status/901885459038654464

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
To be honest thats likely a photoshop, also yeah the sharks are either going to die from the contaminants or the low salinity of the water.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Thank you for posting this, it actually does make me feel a little better. :unsmith:

7c Nickel posted:

Besides, elephants are actually super good swimmers who use their trunk as a snorkel.

As does this!

WrenP-Complete posted:

:stare: This though, uh, this makes me feel a little more concerned.

There is an Aquarium separate from the zoo, but if I had to guess I would say that's a wild shark rather than an escaped one. Let's hope it's just the one, and that the sharks and floating fireants don't decide to team up because if the do humanity is hosed.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Telsa Cola posted:

To be honest thats likely a photoshop, also yeah the sharks are either going to die from the contaminants or the low salinity of the water.

It’s fake. It pops up every flood around here.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shark tweet is fake, y'all

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/puertorico.asp

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Thank you for posting this, it actually does make me feel a little better. :unsmith:

As does this!

:stare: This though, uh, this makes me feel a little more concerned.

There is an Aquarium separate from the zoo, but if I had to guess I would say that's a wild shark rather than an escaped one. Let's hope it's just the one, and that the sharks and floating fireants don't decide to team up because if the do humanity is hosed.

I hope it's just a photoshop. I don't see *that* many reports on twitter of sharks everywhere. I don't know anything about sharks but people who are talking about them say they are bull sharks.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

WrenP-Complete posted:

That's some random dude and there were shark hoaxes during Katrina.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Google maps of same place

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Meanwhile, in Berkeley, antifascists are completely dominating on the streets, after a pathetic right-wing rally drew a tiny number of people

https://twitter.com/willcarless/status/901859213755817985

https://twitter.com/bhngyn/status/901904831291334658

https://twitter.com/shane_bauer/status/901902928948076544

https://twitter.com/DarwinBondGraha/status/901893642175922176

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Whoops, my bad on the shark tweet. I'm sorry. I'll redact my original post.

• Locked thread