Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

univbee posted:

I am completely befuddled as to why they haven't done this. Fuckin' Nintendo, man.

Probably the stigma still. A shame since a lot of those games are good and the 3D would work much better on 3DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If they can't get Goldeneye is there any real point to releasing a N64 mini?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!
Even if they could get GoldenEye I bet every game they would theoretically put on one would be rated E10 max.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

univbee posted:

No, you just have to buy a scalped $50 Classic Controller. :v: (You may be able to find them cheaper with some luck but they're definitely not commonplace and consistently obtainable like they once were).

Classic Controller actually works quite well on the NES Classic. Especially because the home button acts as the reset button for save states and switching games without getting up

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SeANMcBAY posted:

Probably the stigma still. A shame since a lot of those games are good and the 3D would work much better on 3DS.

Stigma and the all-red color scheme probably still hurts to look at for long periods.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Too bad Beetle Adventure Racing is most likely in license hell too, that game was great.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The Virtual Boy is actually a really, really good system. I love how awesome the music is on it, and the speakers on it are so drat loud. I have two of them and plan to make a link cable for it someday.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
TG16 Classic would be fun. That stuff is crazy expensive, isn't it?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I was getting groceries next to a completely empty gamestop, I figured I'd ask them how many SNES they were allocated for preorder. I got a firm answer! They're getting 8 SNES Classics and 16 XBoneXes, both preorders sold out within 3 hours.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Even if they could get GoldenEye I bet every game they would theoretically put on one would be rated E10 max.

SNES Classic is rated T because of Street Fighter 2.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spikey posted:

SNES Classic is rated T because of Street Fighter 2.

I think Earthbound also has a T rating.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I kinda wish they had put Super SF2 on here instead of Turbo, but IIRC, Super took a graphics hit due to all the extra fighters on the cart. Man, I can't wait for this thing. I was a Sega kid growing up and decidedly middle class, so I never owned a SNES. I used to have my mom drive me to Service Merchandise to play their display unit all day.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

enojy posted:

I kinda wish they had put Super SF2 on here instead of Turbo, but IIRC, Super took a graphics hit due to all the extra fighters on the cart. Man, I can't wait for this thing. I was a Sega kid growing up and decidedly middle class, so I never owned a SNES. I used to have my mom drive me to Service Merchandise to play their display unit all day.

Super SF2 is on the SFC Classic FYI.

Turbo's often the preferred version on SNES because of the speed, which got dialed back for Super. It also has the fun of dialing it up to 10 stars via the code, and E. Honda's move-at-will hundred handslap.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I have Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Super Street Fighter 2, and Street Fighter Alpha 2 for the SNES. Out of the ones I've played, I think I would prefer SFA2 to be on the SNES Classic.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

The stop signs in Quebec say "Arrete," it's fuckong adorable

I haven't been paying attention, why does Quebec keep coming up?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

I haven't been paying attention, why does Quebec keep coming up?

Quebec has a law that requires products sold to also be made available in French if a French version exists. Nintendo is not going to be making some special French version just for Quebec so the SNES Classic won't be available there. Apparently.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Stigma and the all-red color scheme probably still hurts to look at for long periods.

They also could have colorized/remade some of them like they did with the "3D Classics".

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i hope none of you americans were relying on orders from the amazon uk site, they've started cancelling them. lol.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Vikar Jerome posted:

i hope none of you americans were relying on orders from the amazon uk site, they've started cancelling them. lol.

Still have mine. There was some dude that got canceled a week ago but he was in Alaska. Who knows how Amazon is doing it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
maybe it's just Alaska and Hawaii, the freak states

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Really though, I don't think you've had the full SNES Classic experience until you've had a locked-in pre-order cancelled because reasons.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I think something that shows good evidence of why the 16 bit era is so timeless and why the SNES classic mini could actually lead to 100+ hours of fun (especially someone who hasn't played most of the games) is the fact a game like Sonic Mania just came out and is pretty beloved, despite being mostly a high-end 16/low end 32 bit sprite game.

As for Amazon UK cancellations, I got mine being sent to Ireland, so I'm not really worried, since it's just getting thrown into a package anyways for a yearly gift exchange at the same time, and I've had stuff shipped to Ireland before that wouldn't be shipped to America.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 27, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think a big part of it is that the SNES generation was the culmination of a specific style of gameplay and game art. In many ways it was an industry who had spent a couple console generations learning and perfecting design lessons. It was the most polished era of 2d gaming.

Then the N64/PSX era reset the clock to zero in many aspects and all those lessons had to be relearned for polygonal art and 3D gameplay. It was like going from finished and published novels back to reading rough draft manuscripts again.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It was also when Nintendo lost their stranglehold over 3rd party publishers. They had rare games but that was it. That's why people are saying that the N64 classic will be poo poo. The first party lineup isn't strong enough for more than a few games.

I forget where I put it but Nintendo got lucky. If they had no Miyamoto, they are out of business right now. They have always been run terribly, but they got lucky to get the GOAT game designer.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm finding it real hard enough to be willing to pay almost 300 bucks to get a PS4 just for Bloodborne, or 350 just for Breath of the Wild.

I think it'll be harder to sell me a product they are intentionally creating in limited quantities, pre-orders already being scalped for 1000s of dollars, just so I can get a finished copy of Star Fox 2.

I mean, I like Star Fox. The good ones. But not that much.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I mean you really shouldn't buy consoles at release anyways, now that the Switch in October will have 3+ solid first party games along with a giant log of decent indies and a couple of ok third party games, its an easier purchase.

Nintendo just really needs to release these games as a pack in for the Switch already so people that just want to play the games don't need a dumb collector's item.

I know I'm glad I avoided the NES Classic because it'd just become clutter I never play, but the SNES classic is actually games I've been meaning to play but couldn't easily enjoy on my TV. I'd gladly trade in for a switch game bundle and a decent wireless SNES pad for my current pre-order so I'd avoid needing to waste an HDMI port on it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BTW if you're pre-emptively looking for controller extensions, Amazon has two 6-foot cables for about four bucks. The catch is that it's an add-on only, so you've got to get to $25 total before it'll ship. But maybe if you're also thinking about getting the Playing with Power book or something like that, it might be worth grabbing now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Does the 8-bit do have a button that can act as the reset button?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Waltzing Along posted:

It was also when Nintendo lost their stranglehold over 3rd party publishers. They had rare games but that was it. That's why people are saying that the N64 classic will be poo poo. The first party lineup isn't strong enough for more than a few games.

I forget where I put it but Nintendo got lucky. If they had no Miyamoto, they are out of business right now. They have always been run terribly, but they got lucky to get the GOAT game designer.

N64 was out when Pokemon came out. It could've busted and nintendo still would've been doing amazing

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
If Nintendo has no Miyamoto in the eighties they would be fine. They were a diverse business, they would have moved onto something else until Yamauchi found something that worked or died. They just wouldn't be in games.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

Really though, I don't think you've had the full SNES Classic experience until you've had a locked-in pre-order cancelled because reasons.

I expect an avalanche of these posts when we're closing in on release

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Axetrain posted:

They could include 4 controllers and price it at 120$ and it would still sell like crazy. I agree that the N64 has aged much worse than the SNES has though.

I suspect this'll be the case: four controllers and about 15 N64 games built in. As long as they hit the major Nintendo titles it'll do well.

I won't bother unless there's some unreleased Nintendo 64 or 64DD title in the mix, like...uh, Mother 3 or Jungle Emperor or Cabbage or something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I really didn't play too many N64 games. I played most of the "must plays" via VC or other re-releases. What would your 15 games be?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jose Oquendo posted:

I really didn't play too many N64 games. I played most of the "must plays" via VC or other re-releases. What would your 15 games be?

These are the N64 titles currently on VC.

1080 Snowboarding
Bomberman 64
Donkey Kong 64
Excitebike 64
F-Zero X
Harvest Moon 64
Kirby 64
Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
Orge Battle 64
Paper Mario
Pokemon Snap
Sin And Punishment
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story

Pretty solid list even if it's missing alot of the stuff that made N64 so good (super smash bros, rare games, aki wrestling games, san francisco rush)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What about something like Rogue Squadron? Wasn't that a joint Nintendo/Lucasarts game? Disney has been re-releasing a lot of the older Lucasarts games, so maybe they can work something out for it?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kid Fenris posted:

I won't bother unless there's some unreleased Nintendo 64 or 64DD title in the mix, like...uh, Mother 3 or Jungle Emperor or Cabbage or something.

Or the planned OoT expansion.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Or the planned OoT expansion.

Wasn't that just a mix of Master Quest and Majora's Mask? I could see them including both.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Call Me Charlie posted:

These are the N64 titles currently on VC.

1080 Snowboarding
Bomberman 64
Donkey Kong 64
Excitebike 64
F-Zero X
Harvest Moon 64
Kirby 64
Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
Orge Battle 64
Paper Mario
Pokemon Snap
Sin And Punishment
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story

Pretty solid list even if it's missing alot of the stuff that made N64 so good (super smash bros, rare games, aki wrestling games, san francisco rush)

Yeah, that's probably what the Nintendo 64 Classic would have, with the addition of Smash Bros. and the possible exception of third-party stuff like Ogre Battle, Harvest Moon, and Bomberman 64 (though Nintendo published it here). Sin and Punishment might be dodgy too, since the menus are still in Japanese.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I was talking with my brother about games to put on the SNES classic once I got it and god drat I had completely forgotten about Lufia 2, that was pretty good back in the day but I haven't beaten it since the late 90s but I remember the soundtrack at least being dope as hell, is it a good rpg or is it going to be disappointing to go back and play it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jose Oquendo posted:

What about something like Rogue Squadron? Wasn't that a joint Nintendo/Lucasarts game? Disney has been re-releasing a lot of the older Lucasarts games, so maybe they can work something out for it?

rogue squadron is extremely awesome however it was developed by factor 5, which is not a thing that exists anymore, so it is likely yet another great n64 game stuck in licensing hell

Kid Fenris posted:

Yeah, that's probably what the Nintendo 64 Classic would have, with the addition of Smash Bros. and the possible exception of third-party stuff like Ogre Battle, Harvest Moon, and Bomberman 64 (though Nintendo published it here). Sin and Punishment might be dodgy too, since the menus are still in Japanese.

n64 classic without harvest moon 64 would be a tragedy.

another good addition would be battletanx: global assault, prolly the most underrated multiplayer experience on the n64. except again, 3do don't exist anymore so who knows if they could even get it.