Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

dongle up your rear end!
    –tim ballmer, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have never gotten cec working on any device ever

at this point i have just given up and i have like six remotes on my coffee table

why dont you have a harmony?

also ive never had cec work reliably either

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

I'm trying to find an hdmi switch that supports hdr and can understand/pass cec signals and as far as I can tell it would be easier to find an actual unicorn

i spent a month looking for one

ended up with a receiver :/

literally could not find one that worked properly
monoprice has matrix switches that claim to work but they only work like 80% of the time which is worse than not working at all

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

LastInLine posted:

why dont you have a harmony?

also ive never had cec work reliably either

never had cecs either

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have never gotten cec working on any device ever

at this point i have just given up and i have like six remotes on my coffee table

ive had it work between a sony tv and a ps4 nicely, could navigate the ps4 with the tv remote

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cec works v good for me hth

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
cec works on my lg tv and lg speaker plus apple tv but stops working once i switch the atv off, the signal goes to the tv but never makes it to the speaker, leaving it on, which means i can’t cec control the volume anymore next time i switch it all on and have to go through awful simplink menus

once in a full moon the speaker does switch off with this entire assembly though

additionally the auto-switch off feature on all of these devices doesn’t seem to work either so they all go to sleep at slightly different times if i leave them on lol

it’s a dumpster fire

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

once in a while cec doesn't switch inputs for me. like the apple tv will turn the tv on but not switch it to the correct input. idk

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
harmony remote supremacy, fuckers

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sniep posted:

harmony remote supremacy, fuckers

too bad the configuration tool is hot garbage

why yes of course i want my remote config only accessible from the cloud

and obviously rearranging special buttons should require you to drag and drop them across a series of example menus that scroll at a snails pace from left to right instead of letting you do copy paste or "insert before"

oh, and did i mention that it's written in silverlight?

thank god i only ever need to update the config on my 650 maybe once a year because otherwise i would probably shoot myself

but yeah other than that the harmony remotes are great

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i dont remember i only set it up once and it works flawlessly since and its been a long rear end time

but nice nerd rant

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s also a ton easier to setup with the phone app, which has the advantage of being written this decade.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It’s also a ton easier to setup with the phone app, which has the advantage of being written this decade.

can't do this with the 650. it's really annoying but the two times a year I need to redo buttons it's not that big of a deal.

I would probably recommend the hub over the emote for new buyers. but I've had my 650 for a few years and it still works flawlessly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i just switched from the 650 to the hub and theyre both great

ofc ive had harmonys for well over a decade i cant imagine the kind of person who doesnt have one

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i have one and never use it because everything attached to my tv is cec so my tv's remote does everything already and the harmony has like three buttons and a lovely touchscreen, so if you need to do anything more complicated than change the volume, it like a bunch of swipes and hunting through menus on a remote which is just awful

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FMguru posted:

apples hardware stuff leaks all the time (too many eyeballs in the production chain) but they are often able to sneak out new software products that no one expects, the best example before arkit being swift (which there wasnt even a faint hint about until timb got onstage at wwdc to announce it)

we kept the arm64 transition hidden pretty well, and that was a much larger project than swift.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

we kept the arm64 transition hidden pretty well, and that was a much larger project than swift.
good point. also the ppc -> intel transition back in the day

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
cec will turn my Lucky Gold (TM) TV on with no problems but won't turn it off for some bizarre reason.

also the visor thing Microsoft made is cool and I can see design teams using it for product design whilst ARKit is used to simulate anime boobs on your dog because no company uses osx or Linux for anything aside from servers or product testing :(

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Excuse me I think u mean lucky goldstar

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

http://nypost.com/2017/08/28/nypd-needs-to-replace-36k-useless-smartphones/

typical NYC wasteful move cops could have been playing Pokemon Go instead of using phone nobody writes software for

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Millstone posted:

actually they mean literal garbage

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

typical NYC wasteful move cops could have been playing Pokemon Go instead of using phone nobody writes software for

they should make an AR app that lets cops throw poke balls at suspected criminals and a drone launches a net Ana teasers them.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Millstone posted:

My grandmother had a Lucky Goldstar Mircowave she bought in the early 70s, and she was still using it when she died in the early 2000s. Phones may be garbage but the appliances were solid.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Binary Badger posted:

goddamn it Jessica

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ripoff posted:

also the visor thing Microsoft made is cool and I can see design teams using it for product design whilst ARKit is used to simulate anime boobs on your dog because no company uses osx or Linux for anything aside from servers or product testing :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7DYC_zbZCM

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

a quarter of an inch off at 4 feet. great

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

please dont post replies to your tinder profile

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

actually they mean literal garbage

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hifi posted:

i mean I wouldn't measure something important with it but that's pretty good for what I assume is a hacked up test app

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

please dont post replies to your tinder profile

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hifi posted:

yeah 3D sensors have huge accuracy issues on something like a phone

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a good app would give you a margin of error or confidence rating as part of the measurement

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

hifi posted:

Sorry that pointing a phone camera at things can only measure them with 0.5% scaling error. the engineers will strive to do better int he future

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

great, its useful for eyeballing. good thing i have two of those already

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

home depot and the like will love this stuff for estimating paint, flooring, shelving, etc

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

qirex posted:

I know childless adults who spend at least ten thousand dollars a year visiting us disney properties
same

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

how fat and/or autistic are they
very, also lonely and gay

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Glazier posted:

My grandmother had a Lucky Goldstar Mircowave she bought in the early 70s, and she was still using it when she died in the early 2000s. Phones may be garbage but the appliances were solid.

if only grandma had been built by lg

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my grandma had one of those radar ranges thats now famous from the diaper guy that microwaves his diapers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
sorry grandma, I'm gonna have to suffocate you with this pillow for bringing shame to our family by purchasing the same microwave as a dude who nuked his poopy

• Locked thread