Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

peengers posted:

Hahaha I live in a city in a state that's known for its attractiveness to hurricanes that got hammered by a recent one, losing a main beachside road in locations and they're quibbling over the cheapest way to "rebuild" without actually spending any money on complicated, unneeded things like seawalls. The amount of bitching that happened when a mild rainstorm washed away a good bit of their "fixes" was hilarious because they didn't bother to shore their newly-rebuilt dunes with anything underneath, let alone plant something like sea oats to hold the loving thing together.

Let me guess, NC? That sounds like some Outer Banks poo poo right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Well global warming is a chinese hoax anyway according to what the current government tells me, why spend money on stopping it?? :thunk:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

These idiots don't even know what kind of advantage the police are giving them.

https://twitter.com/KHOUBlake11/status/901824265523212289

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

snakes

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Let me guess, NC? That sounds like some Outer Banks poo poo right there.

Nope, a bit further south but probably the same mentality.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Did these coastal Texas cities have wetlands in the past?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Adequate posted:

Mexico being classy, it's nice to see other countries aren't letting the five-alarm fire that is the Trump admin get in the way of decency :unsmith:
Peña Nieto is total garbage as a president, but even he probably got that one thought we all have had at some point during the past two years "Jeez, this guy is a loving moron".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Harvey Info/resource megapost:
Thanks to WrenP-Complete and Discussion Quorum for adding things, original idea Wrens. Please send/post at either me or wren additional material as you see fit.

Local Information for those in the effected area:
ABC13's hurricane site has a list of working emergency phone numbers, curfews, and closures for the Houston area.

Local residents should use local radio for information on conditions. Local/municipal governments are additional sources of information- check their websites as is relevant. Many outlying cities have begun enacting curfews.
Local relief resources/centers, both for those in need and for those who want to help.
List of local shelters.
List of Harris County Shelters. Maintained by county government.

Phone Numbers:

For information and resources or if you are trapped in your location but not otherwise in danger, residents of Houston should call phone number: 311
Residents of outlying areas should call: 211
Emergency calls should still be to 911.

Be aware that all of these systems are under extremely heavy load.

Evacuation Information:

Different emergency organizations are giving conflicting messages about whether to shelter in place. In general, if you are definitely in a safe location, do not attempt to leave. Travel in flooded areas is much more dangerous than sheltering in place for most people. If you are evacuating, do not drive through flooded areas.

The state hurricane site has taken down its evacuation order list for some reason. In lieu, first check the list below, then go to Google's Harvey crisis map. Click your location and check the messages in the upper right for any public warnings or evacuations. I will attempt to keep the list below up to date with what individual reports people give me.

If there is a mandatory evacuation for your location, if your location is not safe, and the area you are in is not yet heavily flooded, you should evacuate if at all possible. Use the Drivetexas site linked below to plan a route. If the evacuation is voluntary, you should still give it serious consideration if your location will not be safe and if you have a route out. It's not going to get easier to evacuate, and once your location is flooding you will not be able to safely leave.

DriveTexas has relatively accurate and up-to-date road condition information. Do not drive through flooded areas.

FEMA site for Harvey information.

Texas Government Hurricane site
This includes a list of state-level voluntary and mandatory evacuation zones.

Harris County Flood Warning System.

Fort Bend County Evacuation Zone map. This area has additional evac orders not listed on the main state site- Texas government has pushed evacuation orders for some counties to the county governments.

Conroe: Additional Evacuation areas This page has additional evac orders not listed on the main state site.

Mandatory Evacuations
(as of 9:00 AM on August 28th)
City of Dickinson
Fort Bend County: Low-lying areas surrounding the Brazos River
Map of Fort Bend low-lying areas evacuation zones here
City of La Grange
Bay City
City of Wharton
Baffin Bay
Loyola Beach
Ingleside
City of San Patricio
Calhoun County
A&M Corpus Christi
Aransas County
San Patricio County
Refugio County
City of Aransas Pass
City of Port Aransas
City of Rockport
City of Ingleside
City of Refugio
Brazoria County
Matagorda County
City of Palacios
City of Victoria
Victoria County
Jackson County

Voluntary Evacuations
(as of 2:00 PM on August 26th)

Guadalupe County: Guadalupe River, San Marcos River, Cibolo Creek and Geronimo Creek
Jackson County
Cedar Point
Sabine Pass
Smith Point
Seabrook
Nassau Bay
La Porte
Taylor Lake Village
Shoreacres
Bolivar Peninsula
Clear Lake Shores
El Campo
Alice
Kleberg County
City of El Lago
City of Galveston
Galveston County
City of S. Padre Island
City of Port Arthur
City of Corpus Christi
City of Ricardo
City of Rivera
City of Kingsville
City of W. Columbia
City of Richwood
City of Beeville
Bee County
Bay City
Mustang Island
Padre Island
City of San Patricio
City of Seabrook
Jamaica Beach

Relief Information:
In TX:
http://harveyrelief.handiworks.co/relief-map may help you locate shelter and food, if you're in need, and/or volunteer opportunities.

For everyone:

Charity Navigator has a list of charities to donate to to help with the effects of Harvey.
https://www.self.com/story/hurricane-harvey-how-you-can-help How you can help.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 28, 2017

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Did these coastal Texas cities have wetlands in the past?

Used to. They paved over them.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Office Pig posted:

These idiots don't even know what kind of advantage the police are giving them.
Cops literally stand there and watch them fire guns at people ffs.

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/901533267639369729

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

peengers posted:

I'd believe Florida. If on the Atlantic coast, especially around Fort Lauderdale or Stuart or Daytona Beach.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

It's good to see that all of the Trump supporters have retreated to a single thread in which they can express themselves without any fear of being banned for arguing in bad faith or dog whistle bigotry, and that even then, most of them are obvious re-regs who are afraid of being affiliated even with their anonymous usernames. Nice that they seem to have collected a bunch of circlejerk avatars for themselves and are still somehow convinced that they are the victims of persecution.

I hope they are victims of persecution. They deserve persecuting.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Houston airport has closed. Its not flooded, but all roads in and out of the airport are.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Discendo Vox posted:

There's likely a binning problem with the advertising definition. For example, it may encompass all costs associated with getting people to attend blood drives. I suspect there are similar problems with at least some of the other accounting elements- which is not to say that the Red Cross is particularly well run.
yeah that's why I specified that 20 to 26% was fundraising only.

That said however, I suspect a lot of that fundraising overhead is for formal wear only $10,000 a plate dinner events similar to campaign fundraising dinners.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hey, guy on the Belgrave train in Melbourne who's sitting right next to me

Hi

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

peengers posted:

Charleston, eh? Me too. My apologies.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
:siren: Local news followed up on the people in the nursing home and they have all been rescued. :siren:

Still saying up to 25" more rain which is really not good though :stare:

WrenP-Complete posted:

Hurricane Harvey resource list incoming:

In TX:
http://harveyrelief.handiworks.co/relief-map may help you locate shelter and food, if you're in need, and/or volunteer opportunities.

For everyone:
https://www.self.com/story/hurricane-harvey-how-you-can-help

Thanks for this. More resources:
http://readyharris.org/News-Information/Ready-Harris-News/Post/26620
http://www.khou.com/news/local/list-harvey-shelters-around-houston-area/468037262

Fart City posted:

You know with any other presidency that picture of the flooded senior citizen's home would have been a damning condemnation of the administration's inability to prepare or function in the face of disaster.

But here, in the thirty-seventh level of hell that we currently occupy, it still has to take a number and wait its turn in the lobby.

You know what's going to happen.

:byodood: WE THREW ALL THIS MONEY AT DISASTER PREP AND LOOK WHAT HAPPENED! GUT IT LIKE A PIG BOYS, TAX BREAKS ALL AROUND

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Cythereal posted:

I'd believe Florida. If on the Atlantic coast, especially around Fort Lauderdale or Stuart or Daytona Beach.

Atlantic, and yes. I grew up in a hurricane state and when I moved to this one I bought a house that had plenty of windbreaks, no pines to fall on it, and was close enough and yet far enough away from the ocean to not experience flooding issues unless hit head on by something of substantial category dragging water mass with it. Matthew was nothing and I stayed, but something like what's hitting texas would have me inland a few states away.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

It's good to see that all of the Trump supporters have retreated to a single thread in which they can express themselves without any fear of being banned for arguing in bad faith or dog whistle bigotry, and that even then, most of them are obvious re-regs who are afraid of being affiliated even with their anonymous usernames. Nice that they seem to have collected a bunch of circlejerk avatars for themselves and are still somehow convinced that they are the victims of persecution.

I'm not sure I would call GBS a single thread.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

I'm not sure I would call GBS a single thread.

I'm only looking at the one, true. Why hasn't GBS been deleted?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
who's the d&D jackass reading this thread on a train with a macbook

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Taffer posted:

:sigh: I know. But it's still so infuriating. They've had almost a *century* of bad floods in this city, and tons of terrible floods even in the last couple decades. These are things you should really consider when moving to an area. I don't even live in an area prone to serious flooding but seeing a few houses ruined by rivers spilling over during a bad rain has always convinced me that not living on high ground is idiotic, even as a child.

This is the same conversation we all had during Katrina.

The fact of the matter is that people build ties to the places they inhabit and don't want to leave behind all the people and places they know. Never mind that the whole 'Well why don't you move.' argument ignores the fact that it takes a gently caress ton of money to do so even if it is just to higher ground.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Added, thanks.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Forgall posted:

Cops literally stand there and watch them fire guns at people ffs.

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/901533267639369729

Jesus Christ

If you ever needed more proof (you shouldn't) that cops are more scared of unarmed black people than white people actively shooting, this is it

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

tithin posted:

Hi

Please take it to the goon missed connections thread.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/901921276742303748

Good we have some spare abrahms tanks that were collecting dust.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Taffer posted:

:sigh: I know. But it's still so infuriating. They've had almost a *century* of bad floods in this city, and tons of terrible floods even in the last couple decades. These are things you should really consider when moving to an area. I don't even live in an area prone to serious flooding but seeing a few houses ruined by rivers spilling over during a bad rain has always convinced me that not living on high ground is idiotic, even as a child.

Warning people of flood danger was deemed to damage property values, so they stopped.

http://abc7news.com/archive/7946821/

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Bicyclops posted:

I'm only looking at the one, true. Why hasn't GBS been deleted?

Quarantine the idiots?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Quarantine the idiots?

Cuz that worked so well with 4chan

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Hahaha https://twitter.com/zacconklin/status/901909129547063297

Edit Check out @zacconklin's Tweet: https://twitter.com/zacconklin/status/901896845483319296

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 27, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

peengers posted:

There was similar poo poo under discussion in Boston area a while back --- with the added bonus of the ultra-fancy real estate in ultra-flood-prone areas getting subsidized via federal flood insurance, and people rebuilding on same drat spots.
And that's without any hurricane hits (which are thankfully a lot less likely, but would probably be a horrendous disaster).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

Quarantine the idiots?

If GBS had active moderators to continuously ban them, maybe.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

peengers posted:

Atlantic, and yes. I grew up in a hurricane state and when I moved to this one I bought a house that had plenty of windbreaks, no pines to fall on it, and was close enough and yet far enough away from the ocean to not experience flooding issues unless hit head on by something of substantial category dragging water mass with it. Matthew was nothing and I stayed, but something like what's hitting texas would have me inland a few states away.

Yup. I'm a Florida native, and if something like Harvey was inbound I have family in inland North Carolina I can stay with in such an event.

This is one of the things that shocks me about all this, how many people didn't evacuate. I realize not everyone can evacuate, of course, but I'd hold every mayor and board of county commissioners that didn't issue evacuation orders criminally responsible.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Archonex posted:

This is the same conversation we all had during Katrina.

The fact of the matter is that people build ties to the places they inhabit and don't want to leave behind all the people and places they know. Never mind that the whole 'Well why don't you move.' argument ignores the fact that it takes a gently caress ton of money to do so even if it is just to higher ground.

Of course. However in this case my annoyance isn't at people who live there and can't afford to move, but at all the people that moved IN in the last couple decades. They built entire suburbs in flood plains which is idiotic on two fronts: 1) it's a loving flood plain ffs and 2) building there actually makes the flood plain WORSE because what was previously green land that could soak up a ton of water is now houses and concrete that just turn it into higher standing water. And then the standing water drains to places downstream and fucks them up further too.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lemming posted:

Jesus Christ

If you ever needed more proof (you shouldn't) that cops are more scared of unarmed black people than white people actively shooting, this is it

The more this poo poo happens the more depressed I get.

It also makes me genuinely sad, that I have been posting here and saying this poo poo for years and the majority of people don't come around until a tragedy happens. Sometimes they don't even listen then.

So please everyone I'm literally begging you: Listen to minority voices so that we can all work together, fight against injustice, brutality, and try keep poo poo like this from happening again.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Xae posted:

Warning people of flood danger was deemed to damage property values, so they stopped.

http://abc7news.com/archive/7946821/

Capitalism is a scourge

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

tithin posted:

Hi

Were you referring to me or someone else?
Like I was looking at the thread, but I wasn't sitting next to anyone.

Ora Tzo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 27, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charliegrs posted:

Not this again. Pics were floating around like this during hurricane Sandy and were all fake as hell

They pop up after every hurricane, though they usually stay fairly local on twitter and facebook since there isn't national attention and people combing local streams for any info. During Mathew there was a pretty good fake video of a shark on 3rd Street that had me fooled for a minute.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rigel posted:

The Houston airport has closed. Its not flooded, but all roads in and out of the airport are.

That's because - as was already posted a page or two back - the runways are flooded.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

farraday posted:

Please take it to the goon missed connections thread.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/901921276742303748

Good we have some spare abrahms tanks that were collecting dust.

Trump would reset every single national calendar to 2008 if he could. His plan seems to be to make the reality simulation glitch in order to travel back in time. What could he possibly regret enough for doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Bicyclops posted:

If GBS had active moderators to continuously ban them, maybe.

For that to happen Lowtax would have to admit that the Internet has changed since 2004 and "ironic" racism is no longer something that can be tolerated on a major platform. But instead he seems hellbent on chasing SA's formed golden age and the result has been that he repeatedly hamstrung all the mods who attempted to prevent GBS from turning into the shitpile it now is. I don't blame the mods of GBS that have burned out and quit, when upper management is actively sabotaging your efforts (out of ignorance/dogged determination to keep doing the same thing no matter what) then there is nothing else to do but move on with your life.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 27, 2017

• Locked thread