Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Caved in and went for another 11x pull on XV hoping for Iris' BSB/Noct's LMR/Gladio's BSB.

2/11, Noct's BSB (dupe) and Noct OSB.

Well, not the best result ever, but I've got a decent Noctis going. And maybe I'll get lucky on the Prompto event.

I did get Noctis' LMR on a 100gem, but not anything else. Is that still worth using him? I could imagine he's good for using them beefy Combat abilities with, but. I AM thinking of dropping a 50 on FF15, mind. Is it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cosmic Afro posted:

I did get Noctis' LMR on a 100gem, but not anything else. Is that still worth using him? I could imagine he's good for using them beefy Combat abilities with, but. I AM thinking of dropping a 50 on FF15, mind. Is it worth it?

Probably not, XV hasn't had much representation (1 other event, and no dungeons as of yet in JP). You just wont see a lot of use right now.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
They are good characters with good SBs. I dropped 50 on a pull myself and was very satisfied. I won't have to pull on the next one and I can use Noct SSB and Iris BSB in any content.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cosmic Afro posted:

Noctis really likes to combo his LMR with his BSB, but he can still get good mileage by spamming Omega Drive or Full Charge with enough ATK buffing.

The XV banner is decent, as is the next event in about a month and a half, and none of the relics are actually really bad.It really depends on if you like Gladio (an Earth based Knight that can Samurai) or Prompto/Aranea (who are Lightning based Support/Machinist and Dragoon, respectively).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LornMarkus posted:

Cloud USB is explicitly only for Physical damage. There is not actually a magical version in the game yet.

There probably will never be one quite as busted as Cloud USB explicitly for magic, just based on the sole fact that magic can't critical.

A mage USB that lets you break the damage cap with spells has the potential even without that of getting pretty ridiculous, though, just considering the soft cap for MAG is a bit higher if memory serves.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I have somehow been missing that I have Sarah's BSB. A healing BSB with a magic blink and an instant single target cure with major regen attached? That would have been useful to know about. :psyduck:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
A question on the Magicite buffs like empower lightning. Does the same skills from the sub magicites get activated and stack or only the primary magicite matter for that?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hopefully I can unlock Magicite today. Just need to beat Nightmare Evrae and that's that. I just brute-forced Necrophobe and thingy Weapon with Team Spikey but I guess I have to do this one legit. I have a lot of healer bursts at least.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Thundercracker posted:

A question on the Magicite buffs like empower lightning. Does the same skills from the sub magicites get activated and stack or only the primary magicite matter for that?

Second one is half effectiveness, third is quarter effectiveness, fourth is even less. You'll approach 20% but never reach it.

It probably isn't worth taking more than two of the same buff.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

McDragon posted:

Hopefully I can unlock Magicite today. Just need to beat Nightmare Evrae and that's that. I just brute-forced Necrophobe and thingy Weapon with Team Spikey but I guess I have to do this one legit. I have a lot of healer bursts at least.

Evrae was built during when there weren't the wide variety of healer bsbs, and the expectation was that diaga was gonna do your heavy lifting. I think it stated before ultra cure was even a thing.

Just keep up with the esunas to avoid nightmare poison breath and it's an easy master nowadays.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm so sick of seeing this poo poo

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Pander posted:

Evrae was built during when there weren't the wide variety of healer bsbs, and the expectation was that diaga was gonna do your heavy lifting. I think it stated before ultra cure was even a thing.

Just keep up with the esunas to avoid nightmare poison breath and it's an easy master nowadays.

No kidding, that was a piece of piss. White Materia blew up every lens at once and then I just did Command Ones from Lenna and Vanille at her until she exploded. Also Yuna shot her and the guardian a few times for variety. Tyro was there too.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

McDragon posted:

No kidding, that was a piece of piss. White Materia blew up every lens at once and then I just did Command Ones from Lenna and Vanille at her until she exploded. Also Yuna shot her and the guardian a few times for variety. Tyro was there too.

uhhh that's a bit of a risky tactic since they cause you damage when they blow.

I mean with newer stuff like yshy bsb you can live through it, and I don't think there was a level 99 limit then, so maybe it's survivable now? But back in the day killing them all at once would be a wipe.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
They only cause damage if you kill them with Instant Death/Raise

This was a problem back in the day because Selphie's BSB, the one with the big holy aoe opener, had a chance of KO attached for some reason and could gently caress everything up.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

ZiegeDame posted:

They only cause damage if you kill them with Instant Death/Raise

This was a problem back in the day because Selphie's BSB, the one with the big holy aoe opener, had a chance of KO attached for some reason and could gently caress everything up.

ohhhhh right. I remember wiping thinking "this is the best idea". I always liked selphie's BSB.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is that boss the one where you can load up onion knight with a bunch of ninja scrolls and the + ninja record materia because I think that's how I shucked that ear of corn

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah. It doesn't counter ninja magic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

McDragon posted:

I cleared Evrae with Y'shtola's BSB and a bunch of cur-aga/aja and a couple di-a/ara spells. We have something like a year of powercreep at this point. You only need to make a modest effort to clear it.

Bringing someone with ultra cure and a 2nd person with esuna doesn't hurt though, plus the former will both hurt the boss and remove its poison IIRC.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KPC_Mammon posted:

Second one is half effectiveness, third is quarter effectiveness, fourth is even less. You'll approach 20% but never reach it.

It probably isn't worth taking more than two of the same buff.

Very minor correction: The totals are summed and then rounded up, so you can in fact reach 20% with five level 99 magicites who all boost the same elemental damage.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I gotta say. If you follow the megaman clockwise pattern, the Magicite dungeons are much easier. Equipping the appropriate element up or element resistant down

And you can equip only one magicite while grinding to level up what you need quickly.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 27, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
the more elite end game content they release for this game the less interested i am in playing it at all. i generally only do content up to 180 difficulty cuz anything higher than that requires me to gently caress about in the menus putting together a purposeful team and its excruciating to do on android

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

the more elite end game content they release for this game the less interested i am in playing it at all. i generally only do content up to 180 difficulty cuz anything higher than that requires me to gently caress about in the menus putting together a purposeful team and its excruciating to do on android

I'm sorry you're lazy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm sorry you're lazy.

it's insanely fun to spend 10 minutes clicking a million different things 3 times each until the game responds to put together a specific team for a 30 second fight. they should have called this game rpg inventory simulator as it's what you spend the majority of your time doing in it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fridge corn posted:

it's insanely fun to spend 10 minutes clicking a million different things 3 times each until the game responds to put together a specific team for a 30 second fight. they should have called this game rpg inventory simulator as it's what you spend the majority of your time doing in it

how dare you not treat this mobile game for phones with the dignity and respect it deserves. all games should be well designed enough to make you do chores.

but yeah i'm generally in the same boat these days. i tried knocking out some of the multiplayer things yesterday and after the 2nd time getting a connection error when the boss was at 10% health i threw in the towel on trying that again for a while

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah I much prefer just using one primary team over a bunch of tailored ones. Doesn't help that I have one really good A Team and basically no elemental coverage outside of dark/holy though.

Been playing since week 2 and only able to take down Bismarck, the others I can't even get to 50% hp before a minute is up.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Noctis really likes to combo his LMR with his BSB, but he can still get good mileage by spamming Omega Drive or Full Charge with enough ATK buffing.

The XV banner is decent, as is the next event in about a month and a half, and none of the relics are actually really bad.It really depends on if you like Gladio (an Earth based Knight that can Samurai) or Prompto/Aranea (who are Lightning based Support/Machinist and Dragoon, respectively).

Well I did a draw! I figured it was worth a shot and there were some elementals I wanted there.

I got Noctis' OSB and Gladiolus's OSB, as well as Iris' OSB and a copy of Noctis' Legend Materia. Yay, nay? It's not Noctis' BSB, but I guess I feel better for having something to use Noctis' bars on if I do Full Charge/Omega Drive spams with his LMR.

^^^

I play generally on an emulator, I'm basically going fine. My own phone is going kinda nuts lately.

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 27, 2017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

Get a new phone. Or stop playing the game. Hope this helps.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
How dare people have their own threshold for what constitutes fun and enjoy the game in their own way. If you dont 100% every event youre casual trash.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

How dare people have their own threshold for what constitutes fun and enjoy the game in their own way. If you dont 100% every event youre casual trash.

I hate a lot of hard content too but I keep trying at it whereas he apparently wants to press a couple buttons and win. This isn't the game for him anymore apparently.

Nice strawman btw

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

fridge corn posted:

What are you playing on? I had the same issue on a galaxy s4, and after upgrading to an s6 the difference is staggering. It basically runs like butter now.

Also all the samgsungs 6 and above have a game tuner that lets you downgrade graphics for performance if you need it.

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

So I've realized that with the magicite dungeons available there isn't a great reason not to start investing in 6* abilities. All I have so far is an R2 meltdown and I'm currently sitting on every mote and crystal released to date.

Is anyone else crippled by indecision on who to empower and how much to shatter? With crystals being farm-able in the future there is a compelling argument to not shattering anything... but at the same time am I really going to use all of these characters like Richard?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

Get a new phone. Or stop playing the game. Hope this helps.

this doesn't help

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

What are you playing on? I had the same issue on a galaxy s4, and after upgrading to an s6 the difference is staggering. It basically runs like butter now.

Also all the samgsungs 6 and above have a game tuner that lets you downgrade graphics for performance if you need it.

ive got a Sony Xperia z3

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Stirdog posted:

So I've realized that with the magicite dungeons available there isn't a great reason not to start investing in 6* abilities. All I have so far is an R2 meltdown and I'm currently sitting on every mote and crystal released to date.

Is anyone else crippled by indecision on who to empower and how much to shatter? With crystals being farm-able in the future there is a compelling argument to not shattering anything... but at the same time am I really going to use all of these characters like Richard?

Wait until they rebalance the 6 star abilities. The worst ones get substantial buffs to bring them up to snuff.

Until then a R1-2 affliction break is future proof and extremely useful

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I'm not gonna set up any ridiculous strawmen here, but honestly if you aren't having fun, it can only help you to stop. Gacha games in particular are a bad thing to turn into an addiction, because either you blow hundreds or thousands of dollars paying to win, or you get so muddled in minmax optimization bullshit that you end up stressing yourself out and forgetting what fun is.

Remember that the hardest stuff is optional, but it's mostly there to keep people playing and obsessing over it. People would resonate much more clearly with Captain Ahab if Ishmael offered him microtransactions in his quest to kill that white whale. And if you have to step away from the game for a few days, weeks, even months to touch grass? Don't feel ashamed by that. The system is inherently flawed and meant to make you want the most you can get out of your sunk cost.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, thats a legitimate complaint. There does reach a point where you start to spend more time in the menus setting up for a fight than actually fighting. Its a little better now that I've cleared all the realm dungeons and generally don't have to worry about medal conditions and swapping things around as much. I can also auto through most things, which only leaves a handful of fights each week I need to sit down puzzle out teams for. And I've got my Lightning and Water magicite teams just about set now for farming, so outside of tweaks to try and go faster I've been able to cut down on the inventory juggling.

But probably the biggest issue was switching from my phone to my ipad. Both need to be replaced at this point, but I started playing FFRK with my phone and while at the beginning it was okay, menus have only gotten slower and slower and its just not worth it.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I really enjoy the magicite content, frustrating as it can be, but I wish there was still content in that direction that wasn't tuned so high in order for other people to enjoy too.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I might be insane, but min/maxing has always been my favourite thing in RPGs, which probably explains why this drat game hit me so hard.

My only complaint is that I just wish the menus were more streamlined (and that there were less of them). Spending time before a fight to stomp the fight in 10 seconds is something I love doing though.

e: I suppose another critique of the game would be that where to progress is often confusing and I only learn by using stamina and wiping. That being said, I've now beaten two Rebirth bosses and got a pretty fun rush both times.

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 27, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ceaselessfuture posted:

I might be insane, but min/maxing has always been my favourite thing in RPGs, which probably explains why this drat game hit me so hard.

My only complaint is that I just wish the menus were more streamlined (and that there were less of them). Spending time before a fight to stomp the fight in 10 seconds is something I love doing though.

You and me both, it's why I stick with FFRK even despite my complaints. However, I acknowledge it isn't for everybody, and there are times where I very definitely go overboard on it and end up burning out.

And ironically, poor Droid optimization aside, FFRK's probably got one of the LEAST awful UIs in a gacha game I've played. They're... bad. Almost universally. I think the only one more streamlined is Fire Emblem Heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

fridge corn posted:

this doesn't help

It did for me. After a year and a half on a HTC m7 I finally upgraded to a Google pixel and was amazed at the difference. 30s load times for a battle were reduced to about 8s. Menus moved a lot faster. It helps a LOT. People with iPhones the whole while take it for granted that the game runs nice.

I got an iPhone 7 for work that I put the game on and holy poo poo. 3s battle load times. Smooth menus. It's so insanely poorly optimized for the Android, the iPhone felt like magic.

Sorry it sucks on your phone. I've been there. Not much you can do about it :(

• Locked thread