Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SkunkDuster posted:

Very nice clean build. Did you do the radius curves by hand or use some sort of form to bend them around?

For the dome I used a small hard rubber ball I had to form each section. For the body, I used a Brass Assist rolling set from The Small Shop. The Brass Assist helped with the dome too, as there is a rubber layer on the bottom, which is perfect for helping to form curves in odd shapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This is the dumbest, awesome-est thing.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

I'm not sure a real Chevy Astrovan is worth sixty bux.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gewehr 43 posted:

I'm not sure a real Chevy Astrovan is worth sixty bux.

Makes a good doghouse

I sorta understand why this exists: the Chevy Astro became a kind of cult product in Japan for some goddamn reason

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Finally got pictures of the Tamiya 1:48 A1 Skyraider. It went together pretty well, but if I had to do it over again, I would do it with the air brakes closed. They turned out to be much more of a pain in the rear end than I expected. I also just noticed that I forgot to flatcoat the front covers for the landing gear bays.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That's a great looking airplane.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Looks awesome. Did this a while back with some friends:

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

I love this thing, do you have a link to where you got it?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

RIP, too beautiful for this world

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

SkunkDuster posted:

Finally got pictures of the Tamiya 1:48 A1 Skyraider. It went together pretty well, but if I had to do it over again, I would do it with the air brakes closed. They turned out to be much more of a pain in the rear end than I expected. I also just noticed that I forgot to flatcoat the front covers for the landing gear bays.

This is amaaaaaaaazing. I remember when that cockpit was posted, good to see the final result. Nice colours and very subtle weathering.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

SkunkDuster posted:

Beautiful work man. That plane really pops. Though where's the toilet?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SkunkDuster posted:

Finally got pictures of the Tamiya 1:48 A1 Skyraider.

Amazing work on this one! Congrats.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
:3: as gently caress.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

That takoyaki stand is just too cute <3

Scharnhorst 7: So someone at Hachette was nice enough to acknowledge my request for a sped up delivery to cancel out the start difficulties I had so here's an unscheduled update straight out of the men flu quarantine zone to get us a bit closer to the actual release schedule.

We see here the addition of another middle frame segment as well two crosswise frames and lateral supports. We've reached the 5 percent completion point with this issue.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Hey ship people, my local consignment place has a Model Shipways 'Arctic Sloop' kit for $15. Is that a decent kit? Good price? The Internet doesn't seem to know much about it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Van Dis posted:

I love this thing, do you have a link to where you got it?

We bought it at Yodobashi camera, but i guess you can get them on etsy, there are so many different kinds
https://www.ebay.com/p/Traditional-Japanese-Miniature-Handmade-Kit-Diorama-Model-Brand-japan/1457894028

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Unkempt posted:

Hey ship people, my local consignment place has a Model Shipways 'Arctic Sloop' kit for $15. Is that a decent kit? Good price? The Internet doesn't seem to know much about it.

My guess is that it's a very old model that they haven't produced in years. Wooden ship kits have a tendency to hang around shops for a long time.

Is the box blue with a white label? If not, then it's fairly old.

I've never heard of that particular model, but given that it's likely very old, it's probably a terrible choice for a beginner as old kits are almost without exception very difficult to figure out with lovely instructions. Also, depending on how it was stored, the wood might be all dried out and brittle.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Model Shipways ships tend to be designed with the experienced ship modeller in mind. I certainly don't feel qualified to try my hands on one yet.

That being said, the Arctic Sloop is most likely the Gjoa, a solid hull model kit they released in the 50s with a reputation of being rather easy to built. Note this reputation comes from people reminiscing about the kit 40 years after the fact. Also instructions around that time were largely not much more than “Carve the hull, construct upper deck structures from wood, put up masts, sew the sails and rig the ship. congratulations on your model.“

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Yeah, that sounds right. The box was yellow, or at least the label was. I'll skip that one.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~
I posted this over in the Airpower thread - I picked up a few models:
- 1/72 SR-71
- 1/72 YF-23 (2 of them for reasons I'll explain later)
- 1/48 B-1B (This model from Revell, in fact)

They all were cheap, so figured why not.

Thing is, I haven't built a model since I was 12 - 25 years ago. So I'll be starting from scratch. Which is why I picked up 2 YF-23s. The first is disposable, intended for me to practice on until I get things right.

I need equipment, but I have nfi where to start. I've got a couple of x-acto knives and plenty of blades (I built an as-yet unpainted Tamiya RC - a TT01ED E30 BMW - which is the reason why I have them), but thats it.

The first few posts have given me a few ideas, but I wanted to check in and see if there's any updated recommendations (given the thread was started a very long time ago).

Anyone got any good tips/guides etc? I figure this will take me a long while to complete.

Cheers to Gervasius for pointing me here.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

Model Shipways ships tend to be designed with the experienced ship modeller in mind. I certainly don't feel qualified to try my hands on one yet.

I don't think that is necessarily true any more. Their newer models come with excellent documentation and instructions, and they are extremely forgiving of making stupid mistakes, in that they guarantee to replace any part in the kit with no restrictions. gently caress up the planking for the 5th time and need more strips for the 3rd time to try again? Strips will be at your house in 10 days or so.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

KingPave posted:

- 1/72 SR-71

Thing is, I haven't built a model since I was 12 - 25 years ago. So I'll be starting from scratch. Which is why I picked up 2 YF-23s. The first is disposable, intended for me to practice on until I get things right.

I need equipment, but I have nfi where to start. I've got a couple of x-acto knives and plenty of blades (I built an as-yet unpainted Tamiya RC - a TT01ED E30 BMW - which is the reason why I have them), but thats it.

The first few posts have given me a few ideas, but I wanted to check in and see if there's any updated recommendations (given the thread was started a very long time ago).

Anyone got any good tips/guides etc? I figure this will take me a long while to complete.

What are the makers for the SR-71 and your YF-23s?

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

SkunkDuster posted:

Your build is really clean, in a good way. Congratulations on a great model!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Haha, weird little kit. It sure looks fun.

Here's one of the models I'm slogging through, a Bandai Snowspeeder. My first lit build, I've added five fiber optic strands connected to a cool white LED and a 9v battery. It's still in airbrush phase, I'll show it to you when I take care of all the tape.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Sparq posted:

Here's one of the models I'm slogging through, a Bandai Snowspeeder. My first lit build, I've added five fiber optic strands connected to a cool white LED and a 9v battery. It's still in airbrush phase, I'll show it to you when I take care of all the tape.

Good luck with it. I got most of the way though building that kit then got pissed off and threw it in the trash. I don't remember why exactly. I have anger issues sometimes when I'm working on models.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KingPave posted:

- 1/72 SR-71

X-acto, snippers for taking parts off the sprue, and a small file or two and you'll be good to go, just add glue, blood, and swearing.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 29, 2017

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

My daughter likes to watch and help while I'm building models so I ordered this Bandai pink teddy bear thing for her to build. Took about 20 minutes between us to put it together.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

My daughter likes to watch and help while I'm building models so I ordered this Bandai pink teddy bear thing for her to build. Took about 20 minutes between us to put it together.

:3:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Uh, well ACTUALLY, the 2045 Robot Bear model has triangular ears at 45 degree angles, and this one clearly has circular ears. Plus the plate riveting is clearly off by 0.01mm.

So like, *snort*, if you feel this is accurate enough for you, that's fine. It's okay if you want to disrespect our glorious Robot Bears like that. Just don't expect to win any awards at this years GlueHuffCON.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Sparq posted:

Your build is really clean, in a good way. Congratulations on a great model!

Haha, weird little kit. It sure looks fun.

Nevermind the snowspeeder, whats up with that huge battletech catapult looking torso in the back there? :eyepop:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SkunkDuster posted:

There's about twenty Petit'gguy kits out (so far), and you're probably on the hook for all of them now :v:. There's also a couple of High Grade BearGguy Gunpla kits in the Build Fighters line that have big simple parts and stickers if you want to try something bigger.

Like the BearGguy III.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Updated on the Falke, oils are done and some aluminium chipping.

I kind of hosed up one side where I laid on the oils much thicker and couldn't remove it all leaving one side much darker and over streaked. You can see that on the front of the body and the back engine there.

Can this be fixed? More thinners isn't doing it so I thought airbrushing base coat in the centre of panels might tone it down, but it might be too late for that. Should I just live and learn?

Edit.

Here is a better picture, good side left, overdone side right.

Tentacle Party fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 30, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think it looks good. You've already got asymmetrical markings, why not asymmetrical weathering. You could maybe even add a bunch of soot and grease to the front intake on that side too, make it look like there was some serious issues that fouled that whole side of the craft. Even some grease splatter up onto the main body a bit from that side. poo poo went down on that side of the vehicle.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I love how photobucket's recent cash grab policy change has single handedly wiped out 99% of model build threads across the web. I don't know who I should be more made at: photobucket or the crusty old modeling crowd who used their terrible service for so many years.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Both TBH. They're equally terrible.

This is a great name for a con.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I finished something!

This is the Eduard BF 109F-4 1:48 Profi Pack that has a bit of photo etch and a mask set.

Summer is really my off-season for modelling but it's been a cold and indoor-friendly one.

I didn't really try anything new this time so it's mostly black basing, tape masked camo with some freehand mottling and some thin oil wash on top. Finished with a super thin coat of Humbrol Clear Matt so it ended up being sort of satin.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

I love how photobucket's recent cash grab policy change has single handedly wiped out 99% of model build threads across the web. I don't know who I should be more made at: photobucket or the crusty old modeling crowd who used their terrible service for so many years.

What did they change?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Photobucket started charging $399 a year to be able to use the site for 3rd party hosting.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
One of my buddies who is getting into modeling more was interested in my static grass applicator, and we decided to go halfsies on a more powerful unit. So I'm parting with my unit from War World Scenics. If anyone is interested, I'm letting it go for $75usd, with $5 shipping here in Canada, or $10 to the US. It works great, and is still like new. Got some great results on the base for my Mr. Hyde bust, so it'll be a workhorse for anyone interested in grass effects. It comes with the main applicator unit, and three differently sized sieve heads. PM me if interested.

http://www.war-world.co.uk/product.php/pro_grass_static_grass_applicator_standard_box

A nice video review where you can see it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZwHJBni1pE

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crotch Fruit posted:

Photobucket started charging $399 a year to be able to use the site for 3rd party hosting.

I can't believe someone thought that'd actually work :cripes:. Are they not familiar with the half-dozen other or so popular hosting services that are free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can't believe someone thought that'd actually work :cripes:. Are they not familiar with the half-dozen other or so popular hosting services that are free?
Photobucket has been unusable garbage for visitors for several years now. If they didn't realise that then they will never realise anything.