Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
If I only have the base version of Xcom 2, do I need to get the previous DLCs *and* the War of the Chosen to get all the features, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I mean, you'll lack whatever features come in the DLC you don't buy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The big problem with stasis is you can unload your entire team's arsenal on an enemy, THEN stasis it, then you get another turn to unload completely. Against sectopods/gatekeepers and boss enemies -- even Avatars -- it's a joke. If you can't focus fire an enemy down in two whole turns you might have bigger problems, or you're in a total clusterfuck encounter.
Stasis might be balanced slightly better if it had to be the first thing used on an enemy in a round, or could only be used on a hostile unit that hadn't taken damage yet this turn, or something like that. That way you actually do have to make the compromise the power ostensibly offers in the first place, that of leaving the enemy immune, but also disabled.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

stasis is the most powerful psionic skill in the game.

i like it a lot.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Stasis is the reason I wanted to get multiple psi troopers, so I could multiple stasis. The best part is that if the psi trooper was in the right spot (either by default or an upgrade/ I don't remember), that using stasis as the first action of your turn didn't end your turn and only cost a single AP, so you could use stasis on something big and then do whatever else you needed to do. Stasis one thing and dominate another? Yeah I'll just -2 threats the enemy team and +1 body for mine for two actions, that's a fair and balanced action economy.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Frost Grenades are an AoE, multiple-turn Stasis that don't stop you damaging things hit by them.

They really shouldn't work on anything other than Rulers.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Sokani posted:

I mean, you'll lack whatever features come in the DLC you don't buy.

Eh, the reinforcement pack is like :10bux: so sure why not.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

weird, steam says it unlocks in 1 day and 5 hours. I woulda assumed either a midnight pst or the usual 10am unlock time. Any idea why its 9pm on the 28th instead?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Amazon says it'll give me my order "August 29th, 12 AM" so I'm hoping that will change between now and then.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Is stasis still overpowered now that advent has it too?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Is stasis still overpowered now that advent has it too?

The Aliens have always been overpowered if you let them get a turn, trouble is the game is pretty much balanced towards action denial. There are a lot of attacks in the game that I have never seen.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Vib Rib posted:

Amazon says it'll give me my order "August 29th, 12 AM" so I'm hoping that will change between now and then.

I was concerned about this as well, isn't it supposed to be released tomorrow?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
They're probably counting 12 midnight as the start of the day rather that 1 minute past. I'm fairly sure that Xbox digital preorders do the same.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Depends on what tomorrow means to you. Far as I know, it's always been scheduled for release on the 29th.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Bogart posted:

Depends on what tomorrow means to you. Far as I know, it's always been scheduled for release on the 29th.

i mean steam for me and gmg and stuff said the 28th and that was what I was thinking it had been for a while. However I am so conditioned for Tuesday releases that I assumed the 28th was a tuesday and not monday.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime_Otaku posted:

They're probably counting 12 midnight as the start of the day rather that 1 minute past. I'm fairly sure that Xbox digital preorders do the same.
Yes, but that's still 31 hours away from now.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Long War 2 1.5 dropped, haha. Not nearly enough time for anyone to actually play a campaign of it before WotC comes out, but hey, better now than after WotC.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ok I'm at the end of my rope. I cleared out all config file in my docs and uninstalled and reinstalled xcom2. And yet when I start a campaign once I get past gatecrasher I immediately spawn a PoI and no black market. I'll finish that and another will spawn. The stray layer is hosed and I can't unfuck it and it's driving me crazy.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I see!

Yeah, my engineers sped up construction, which left me a little supply starved. I used intel to buy more supplies, intel I could have used for rushing research, and had to research datapads. Oh well! Thanks for the advice!

You're welcome. For what it's worth I didn't rush any research, you just pause tech research a lot and change over to story projects. You have to kinda save Intel and supplies in the beginning because once you unlock the gate and forge story missions you're gonna go on a spending spree. The tightest timer to hit for that achievement is making contacts and building radio relays in rapid succession to unlock those 2 story objectives. That's why you don't ever want to be waiting on comms or power to contact to a new region because there's really no time to waste there.

That said, if you get boned on engineers early it's worth spending resources buying one. They pay for themselves and you need 2 for mag weapons. And if it comes to that you have more Intel to burn than cash early so buy one with Intel by all means...just know you'll be needing to be stingy with it until late-game and be forced to choose some guerilla ops with Intel rewards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TK-42-1 posted:

Ok I'm at the end of my rope. I cleared out all config file in my docs and uninstalled and reinstalled xcom2. And yet when I start a campaign once I get past gatecrasher I immediately spawn a PoI and no black market. I'll finish that and another will spawn. The stray layer is hosed and I can't unfuck it and it's driving me crazy.

It sounds like everything is working just fine?

The black market has never appeared instantly afaik.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The black market doesn't show up for a few weeks.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Do you always spawn out by Kamchatka in the base game? Of the many things I liked more about EW, picking your starting continent was definitely one.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
No, starting location is random.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Weird; both my games started out there and I remember making a new game a couple times just to see...?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Am I reading this wrong, or is Shadowkeeper like insanely good, especially with a Lightning Hands sniper?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cnidaria posted:

The black market doesn't show up for a few weeks.

Isn't it always after the first supply raid? That has been my experience.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

Am I reading this wrong, or is Shadowkeeper like insanely good, especially with a Lightning Hands sniper?

It has +15 crit over regular pistols and a 1/mission shot that can't miss and puts your Sharpshooter into cover if it kills an enemy.

Its pretty drat good, yeah. Its not insane like the Frost Bomb, but definitely a fun weapon.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Shadowkeeper is fantastic because it's effectively an additional charge of conceal.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I cheat like a motherfuckre, when Coolguye sees me playing XCOM2 on his friends list he quietly tuts to himself.

LW2 is kind of an insane hellgrind cheats or not so it all evens out i think

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fangz posted:

Shadowkeeper is fantastic because it's effectively an additional charge of conceal.

Its not as useful as it sounds though. Concealment is nice but snipers are the unit you don't want concealed since they can take pot shots at groups outside your engagement range with someone scouting for them. Its can be nice but most of the time I'd rather just have my sniper break conceal right after using it to do more damage.

The shadowkeeper doesn't have any disadvantage over a regular pistol though so no reason not to use it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah i usually put the shadowkeeper on a ranger or assault in long war 2. it's kind of nice as a "how did you leave that alive at 1 hp" contingency at least even if the conceal isnt always super relevant on your sniper.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Me to myself: Hey WotC's coming out soon, let's do an Ironman Enemy Within! If we lose, we can say that's where the commander got captured for XCom 2! I bet we'll make it to the base attack!
*gets turbofucked on the first terror mission*

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pretty sure if I tried to play EW again I'd be constantly annoyed by the lack of Xcom 2 QOL improvements. Also I'd probably get people killed by reloading as their first action.

VVV I installed a music mod for Xcom 2 to combine the soundtrack of the two games. Best of both worlds.

The airgame was poo poo so I don't miss that.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 28, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah but the music is better and you get rocket launchers right off the bat, not to mention an airforce.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

You can also run it on lower end pcs and laptops and get better fps.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV I installed a music mod for Xcom 2 to combine the soundtrack of the two games. Best of both worlds.

This works? I figured the music was too closely tied to in-game events to easily port it, but I guess they'd have similar events and "transition into not action music" cues for each game.

The EW music was much better.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

EW did have a good soundtrack. XCOM2 has a decent soundtrack, but nothing sticks out like the first game. They should just commission Front Line Assembly for the next game imo

I won't be able to play WotC until this weekend :( please everyone be responsible with spoiler tags (although they said they really just tweaked the ending so maybe it's ok)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Prop Wash posted:

EW did have a good soundtrack. XCOM2 has a decent soundtrack, but nothing sticks out like the first game. They should just commission Front Line Assembly for the next game imo

I won't be able to play WotC until this weekend :( please everyone be responsible with spoiler tags (although they said they really just tweaked the ending so maybe it's ok)

Honestly from the streams all spoilers are mechanical until the ending cutscenes which are currently under NDA. If you know there are 3 Chosen and 3 Resistance groups, congrats you know literally everything important storywise.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

This works? I figured the music was too closely tied to in-game events to easily port it, but I guess they'd have similar events and "transition into not action music" cues for each game.

The EW music was much better.

It doesn't work perfectly. It interacts poorly with cutscenes on the Avenger, continuing to play whatever ambient music was going over it. Also if a mission has special music then it just gets overriden by the mod. I don't really care about that stuff though compared to how nice it is to have the soundtrack of both games going for my regular missions.

I'd agree EW's music was better overall, but I still like Xcom 2 enough to keep its soundtrack going with it. I really liked the music for the Tower mission, shame I can't play that in regular ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Judging from a few early access videos, like from Christopher Odd, it seems that Will is now essentially a fatigue meter too? Use a soldier too much, their will goes down, put them on break, it comes back. So I guess using the same soldier too much would make them much more prone to panic, etc...