Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I find this approach problematic, since it basically says that an important strain of fascism is guys primarily mobilized by video games, rather than by socio economic and racial motives. Which takes away from the fascist threat, makes it actively flimsier, while it is actually growing stonger.

Nobody is saying that Gamergate is the sole cause of the reactionary wave, though. You can't discount the aestheticist motivations behind fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

https://twitter.com/Johnny__MAGA/status/901829769230032898
https://twitter.com/Johnny__MAGA/status/901932369455702017

Things move fast...

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I find this approach problematic, since it basically says that an important strain of fascism is guys primarily mobilized by video games, rather than by socio economic and racial motives. Which takes away from the fascist threat, makes it actively flimsier, while it is actually growing stonger.

a core component of fascist movements is attacking what they deem to be "degenerate art"

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i don't know about "stronger", but it's certainly going to grow more virulent and even violent as they increasingly come up against opposition, whether it be government, companies that don't want the taint of "nazi enabler", or people fighting back against them. Up until recently they've largely been ignored and allowed to spew their hatred of what they see as world with the world online. but since they've attempted to come out into the open for real in an attempt at acceptance by society ive run into a wall and are now feeling a backlash. some of them will back down and change their tune abit to try and save their brand, others will keep trying to do what they're doing now, and then there's the minority that will see the only path forward as terrorism, or in their minds, retaliation.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

this guy is cool and normal

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
they're actually doing it
they're ruining the OK sign
it's like deep house all over again

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
do muslims ever say infidel outside of cartoons

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Darkman Fanpage posted:

this guy is cool and normal

This dude is Mexican American or Spanish American and wants so badly to be thought of as WHITE.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Al! posted:

Considering Infidel is a Latin word. No they most likely don't

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Al! posted:

yeah in call of duty

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:thumbsup:

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
so is it winding down without a riot?

Chuck N. Awe
Oct 6, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i don't know about "stronger", but it's certainly going to grow more virulent and even violent as they increasingly come up against opposition, whether it be government, companies that don't want the taint of "nazi enabler", or people fighting back against them. Up until recently they've largely been ignored and allowed to spew their hatred of what they see as world with the world online. but since they've attempted to come out into the open for real in an attempt at acceptance by society ive run into a wall and are now feeling a backlash. some of them will back down and change their tune abit to try and save their brand, others will keep trying to do what they're doing now, and then there's the minority that will see the only path forward as terrorism, or in their minds, retaliation.

We've managed to beat back several waves of nazism in sweden with the same tactics since the 90s so meeting them with overwhelming opposition in the streets definitely works. It's incredibly demoralizing for them to be outnumbered twenty to one since they believe that they represent the true will of the people or some bullshit like that.

We've also had two racist serial killers and a number of nazi murders. But that is more or less just ideology put into practice. If you leave them alone they will probably still get violent.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

steinrokkan posted:

You don't know what you're talking about then because the alt-right got most of its followers from gamergate. Even today any of the influential leaders were literally figureheads for gamergate

I don't think you realize how important peoples hobby is to them. Especially in the 21st century where your hobby, community, and friendship are inseparable. It doesnt make fascism any less dangerous to call it out for being stupid and silly

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Chuck N. Awe posted:

We've managed to beat back several waves of nazism in sweden with the same tactics since the 90s so meeting them with overwhelming opposition in the streets definitely works. It's incredibly demoralizing for them to be outnumbered twenty to one since they believe that they represent the true will of the people or some bullshit like that.

We've also had two racist serial killers and a number of nazi murders. But that is more or less just ideology put into practice. If you leave them alone they will probably still get violent.
Yeah the end goals between a Neo-Nazi lone wolf killer and Richard Spencer are still the same, it's just that the Spencers of the world are more patient about it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Dreddout posted:

You don't know what you're talking about then because the alt-right got most of its followers from gamergate. Even today any of the influential leaders were literally figureheads for gamergate

I don't think you realize how important peoples hobby is to them. Especially in the 21st century where your hobby, community, and friendship are inseparable. It doesnt make fascism any less dangerous to call it out for being stupid and silly

Yeah I know people like to say "they became nazis over toys", and while that's true, to these nerds they're not just toys. They're a literal power fantasy alternate universe where they have almost complete control over everything. Women are always idealized and they can stare and ogle and make nude mods and the video game women never say "no" or call them creepy weirdos or whatever. They're always the badass hero with the big sword or gun or both. Etc. etc.

Now obviously it's loving stupid and childish to throw huge temper tantrums and harass people over a polite request to the vg industry to make games more palatable to non white men but they literally see it as their clubhouse being invaded or whatever. However, gently caress them because they shouldn't have a private toxic clubhouse of their own. And I'm really glad to see that AAA devs are doing that more and that indie devs are creating tons of awesome stuff that doesn't fit into that alternate power fantasy universe.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Aw I wish I had gone downtown and helped chased these guys away:

https://twitter.com/ntdaily/status/901926619421528064

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Montasque posted:

This dude is Mexican American or Spanish American and wants so badly to be thought of as WHITE.

whhat if you don't have to be white to be a fascist? :thunk:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Protip: People from Spain are white.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Aw I wish I had gone downtown and helped chased these guys away:

https://twitter.com/ntdaily/status/901926619421528064

:foxnews: : Antifa ruins town's tourism revenue!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Protip: People from Spain are white.

Depends on who you ask. Spaniards from Galicia are the whitest, as are Spaniards from other parts of northern Spain. The further south you get there's a lot more Arab and African admixture - and yes, this is a major sticking point for WNs.

Chuck N. Awe
Oct 6, 2007
The only school killer in swedish history was a radicalized 4chan/gamer chud called Anton Lundin Pettersson. In 2015 he went on a rampage (with a sword) in a school with mostly immigrant children in Trollhättan dressed as Nazi Darth Vader. I don't know how affected he was by gamergate but he was part of that subculture.

http://www.expressen.se/gt/ett-ar-efter-attacken-som-skakade-sverige/
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=83&artikel=6385579

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

I wager that Gamergate is as insignificant among the far right movement as it is among any population.

Where do you think they got their ostensible cause of "free speech"? Gamergate was the dress rehearsal for what's happening now.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno. Gamergate might've been a culture-war split within the ~*gamer community*~ as much as one side of it radicalizing right.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

actually it's about ethics in statuary preservation

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Gamergate is a pretty typical example of people investing themselves too much into their hobbies, having a reactionary awakening when their aesthetic tastes are criticized even mildly. If it wasn't Gamergate it would be opera, or scifi/fantasy literature.

Actually it's about ethics in model trains journalism.

vvv: it wasn't even intended to be a follow-up, I thought I was replying directly below pener.

Grand Prize Winner has issued a correction as of 01:08 on Aug 28, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
drat that was a good followup. I was going to make an ethics joke but couldn't come up with anything.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah I know people like to say "they became nazis over toys", and while that's true, to these nerds they're not just toys. They're a literal power fantasy alternate universe where they have almost complete control over everything. Women are always idealized and they can stare and ogle and make nude mods and the video game women never say "no" or call them creepy weirdos or whatever. They're always the badass hero with the big sword or gun or both. Etc. etc.

Now obviously it's loving stupid and childish to throw huge temper tantrums and harass people over a polite request to the vg industry to make games more palatable to non white men but they literally see it as their clubhouse being invaded or whatever. However, gently caress them because they shouldn't have a private toxic clubhouse of their own. And I'm really glad to see that AAA devs are doing that more and that indie devs are creating tons of awesome stuff that doesn't fit into that alternate power fantasy universe.

My thoughts exactly. A lot of people don't understand that fascism has always been incredibly dorky. Mussolini LARP'd as a roman dictator Himmler was into Sunwheels and Atlantis. Why wouldnt modern nazis pretend to be Space Marines or Spartan Warriors in their free time?

Facism is a power fantasy for social outcasts. I'd argue the major reason why people sign up with the alt-right instead of say neocons is the very fact that they are by and large losers who feel like society is fundamentally arrayed against them were neocons are trying to maintain the status quo as something to be preserved. Which usually means they think society is fine the way it is. The fact that we are seeing them growing is just a symptom of the general worsening of material conditions, even for straight white men.

Chads vote for Cruz

Incels vote for Trump

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I dunno. Gamergate might've been a culture-war split within the ~*gamer community*~ as much as one side of it radicalizing right.

I think what confuses people about Gamergate is how many alt right CHUDs immediately latched on to it in order to try and radicalize that base. Milo owes his success to Gamergate, but he was scum before that and was even on the record hating gamers.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreddout posted:

My thoughts exactly. A lot of people don't understand that fascism has always been incredibly dorky. Mussolini LARP'd as a roman dictator Himmler was into Sunwheels and Atlantis. Why wouldnt modern nazis pretend to be Space Marines or Spartan Warriors in their free time?

Facism is a power fantasy for social outcasts. I'd argue the major reason why people sign up with the alt-right instead of say neocons is the very fact that they are by and large losers who feel like society is fundamentally arrayed against them were neocons are trying to maintain the status quo as something to be preserved. Which usually means they think society is fine the way it is. The fact that we are seeing them growing is just a symptom of the general worsening of material conditions, even for straight white men.

Chads vote for Cruz

Incels vote for Trump

It's not about power for its own sake, but the ability to openly enjoy that power and revel in its abuse.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Comic books seems to have gone through/is going through a smaller-scale version of gamergate, driven by similar cultural and market forces, so it could happen in any sufficiently niche hobby with a declining die-hard core confronting change brought by new participants.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Most people who play videogames nowadays don't consider themselves gamers because it's a ubiquitous hobby, everybody under a certain age does it.

These were the people who were anti-gamergate. The people the gg'ers derided as Normies and Casuals for the simple fact that they had other hobbies and a social life.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's not about power for its own sake, but the ability to openly enjoy that power and revel in its abuse.

I'd argue that those two things are inseparable. Desire for power over others is desire for the ability to exercise that power freely. Exercising power is a positive feedback loop for more power. It's playground bully poo poo!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Gamergate represented the intrusion of the super-ego into the pure-id, that is, the intrusion of social sensibilities into a fundamentally anti-social space.

What was being rejected wasn't their toys being taken away from them, but the ability to enjoy those toys without the constraint of self-reflection or self-criticism, of understanding what consequences their actions have and what that says about them as a person.

That immature ignorance couldn't have lasted forever, eventually they would have had to grow up. If not 'gamergate', something else would have triggered them.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
plz no more comic book and video game talk

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreddout posted:

I'd argue that those two things are inseparable. Desire for power over others is desire for the ability to exercise that power freely. Exercising power is a positive feedback loop for more power. It's playground bully poo poo!

I don't think we're actually disagreeing with each other. I'm just trying to draw a distinction between Neocons who view power as a necessary means for the security of liberal democracy, and Fascists who view power as a means to achieve glorious purpose and enjoyment through inflicting suffering on the nation's enemies. There is a reason why Fascists don't become Neocons.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

rudatron posted:

Gamergate represented the intrusion of the super-ego into the pure-id, that is, the intrusion of social sensibilities into a fundamentally anti-social space.

What was being rejected wasn't their toys being taken away from them, but the ability to enjoy those toys without the constraint of self-reflection or self-criticism, of understanding what consequences their actions have and what that says about them as a person.

That immature ignorance couldn't have lasted forever, eventually they would have had to grow up. If not 'gamergate', something else would have triggered them.

finally you're becoming a post-fruedian so we can be ideological brothers instead of enemies

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al! posted:

finally you're becoming a post-fruedian so we can be ideological brothers instead of enemies

don't jynx it

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not post freudian :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
i feel like the first inkling of this poo poo was the Rebecca Watson thing