Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

kaworu posted:

The last tulpa-Dougie was an alcoholic overweight philanderer and problem gambler who went on multi-day benders and employed prostitutes though

That was Booper's Tulpa though, of course it was going to be a piece of poo poo. Gooper's Tulpa will be a real human being, and a real hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

kaworu posted:

The last tulpa-Dougie was an alcoholic overweight philanderer and problem gambler who went on multi-day benders and employed prostitutes though

Presumably that was made from evil coop's shity greasy hair
Good coop's hair would probably make a nicer tulpa i figure

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

kaworu posted:

uh I think you mean unsettling special effects :smug:

I seriously love the special effects. And Diane-tulpa reverting to that weird big CGI orb is just like what happened to the original Dougie, same wonky effects except with Dougie there was this black oval thing that looked like it had broken glass around it and was oozing black stuff. Diane didn't have the 2-D black oozey thing, just the weird floating orb and stuff before she turned back into a seed.

Yeah, I'm just joking around with some of the opinions of the thread in regards to effects. I think they're all great, even the ones that look sort of shoddy. I think the really good special effects show that the production isn't amateur hour. I think the effects that look shoddy are probably intentional to be in some way unsettling or indicative of something not-real or uncanny happening. There hasn't been a part of this show that I have honestly disliked.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i love the super mitchum bros. so much

the way they just looked so happy when gooper said they had hearts of gold

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

i love the super mitchum bros. so much

the way they just looked so happy when gooper said they had hearts of gold

Cooper knows they're tulpas too :tinfoil:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Presumably that was made from evil coop's shity greasy hair
Good coop's hair would probably make a nicer tulpa i figure

Yeah you guys are probably right about this, but I still think there's something inherently sinister about the whole tulpa thing and that Janey-E/Sonny Jim deserve a husband and father who isn't some semi-real construct linked to another plane of existence...

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Haha! I am not imagining things (though I had the name slightly wrong)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmo9Elh7CZI

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yue posted:

Is there a part of the country where "gas station" and "convenience store" aren't synonymous? Is that a west coast thing?

Basically all gas stations are also convenience stores, but not all convenience stores are gas stations.

But the one in the show is both so whatever.

CJacobs posted:

I really am annoyed about the deaths of the dumbassassins. The person who compared them to Tarantino characters the other week is right- their dialogue is intentionally disconnected and aloof regarding the plot we the viewers care about, they're funny in a grounded and realistic way when everything else is serious, overall their characters serve no real purpose but they're still entertaining, and their deaths were completely pointless and unnecessary. But it's the last part that I'm bothered about.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

What with all the confirmed rapes, sacrificing his son, killing a bunch of people, and squishing that one guy's face I'm beginning to get the feeling that this Booper guy is bad news.

I'm here to discuss the rape

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
well the last time jennifer jason leigh and tim roth did a film together was The Hateful Eight.

Aergo
Feb 1, 2009

I really liked that Cooper was immediately concerned with how to take care of Janey-E and Sonny Jim. That concern for others was just very Coop-like...even if it won't work out in a satisfying way for them.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
pourin out some cheetos for my girl :rip:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I really am annoyed about the deaths of the dumbassassins. The person who compared them to Tarantino characters the other week is right- their dialogue is intentionally disconnected and aloof regarding the plot we the viewers care about, they're funny in a grounded and realistic way when everything else is serious, overall their characters serve no real purpose but they're still entertaining, and their deaths were completely pointless and unnecessary. But it's the last part that I'm bothered about.

They were murdering assholes. I'm glad they died.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Cooper came back and Audrey's in a coma.

But more importantly, Wilson proved he's a competent FBI agent. :3:

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Aergo posted:

I really liked that Cooper was immediately concerned with how to take care of Janey-E and Sonny Jim. That concern for others was just very Coop-like...even if it won't work out in a satisfying way for them.

No, it will totally be all right for Janey-E and Sonny Jim. They will get a happy ending, as will we all, like in all of David Lynch's work!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought the very same thing.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

Basically all gas stations are also convenience stores, but not all convenience stores are gas stations.

This is not always true, actually! At least way up here in Maine we still have some gas stations that aren't convenience stores, or we used to anyway. Especially in rural towns you'd see that, where there would be a "General Store" store that wasn't always a gas station and the gas station would also be the local place where cars would get fixed and I remember as a kid some just did NOT have candy/soda or any place to go inside really and this would shock me. Like even in Portland where I grew up there was a Mobil station nearby where you could buy gas and maybe a quart of oil and that was it

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
Diane said something about dopplecoops face going wrong. That's Bob y'all. He comes out when there's fear.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

kaworu posted:

Yeah you guys are probably right about this, but I still think there's something inherently sinister about the whole tulpa thing and that Janey-E/Sonny Jim deserve a husband and father who isn't some semi-real construct linked to another plane of existence...

They seemed really uncomfortable with this chatty new Dougie, though.

Art Alexakis posted:

I'm here to discuss the rape

I was surprised that she actually said "He raped me". A lot of fiction, even when it's about rape, avoids using the word rape. As if that makes it less horrifying or something. For a show that has so much crazy poo poo going on to just state it that way is really powerful.

edit: Surprisingly, that was also the first time Tammy's acting didn't bother me. She was still wiggling in that chair like there's no tomorrow, though.

And More fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 28, 2017

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

And More posted:

edit: Surprisingly, that was also the first time Tammy's acting didn't bother me. She was still wiggling in that chair like there's no tomorrow, though.

No reason to believe this, but I thought maybe that's the first time she's had to shoot someone. (Edit) It's sort of ruined when she's so excited that it was a Tulpa though, so eh probably not.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I also just want to say about how much I *loved* the moment when Cooper said "I am the FBI," with matter-of-fact assuredness. Because I've always felt like his character really and truly does represent this sort of American ideal of what "An FBI man" should be, at his very best. It's usually really tough to pull of those sorts of amazing and perfect Superman-like character because with most actors it can come off as obnoxious, overstated, false, any number of bad things.

Special Agent Dale Cooper really has as much to do with Kyle Maclachlan's ability to be eminently charming as anything else. It was frankly a little shocking to see him totally comfortably and convincingly slide right into this character who could never be mistaken for Evil Coop or the somnabulent "Dougie"-Coop that he was before. He really better get at least a ton of nominations :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Section 9 posted:

Haha! I am not imagining things (though I had the name slightly wrong)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmo9Elh7CZI

So this is where everybody got the idea they were called "convenient stores"

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm not pleased that this entire season went by with Coop only turning up for the final batch. The Dougie poo poo went on for way too long and the payoff isn't nearly worth all the missed opportunities to do something more interesting than farting around with vegetable coop. Call me a butthurt nerd if you want, but I feel kind of cheated.

Anyway, good episode, I'm expecting big things for the finale.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

in the super mitchum bros defense they did think that dooper had robbed them out of something to the tune of like $300m

perfectly nice people would kill for less

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

And More posted:

They seemed really uncomfortable with this chatty new Dougie, though.

I was surprised that she actually said "He raped me". A lot of fiction, even when it's about rape, avoids using the word rape. As if that makes it less horrifying or something. For a show that has so much crazy poo poo going on to just state it that way is really powerful.

The show is all about return. Coop has to return to Twin Peaks. As Coop has been recovering, the show has been more and more focused on the goings on in the town. Along with this, we're seeing a return to the central theme of the show: domestic violence. In Las Vegas we see domestic bliss, but the ceiling fans still running in the Palmer household.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Section 9 posted:

I'll admit that I only skimmed the US part of the article, and saw nothing about a store named "Convenience" but I distinctly remember the yellow and orange sign that said "Convenience" around the north Chicago suburbs in the 80's.

Convenient Food Mart are the signs you're thinking of. We had them in Cleveland as well.

e: should learn to refresh before replying!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
If Laura doesn’t return in a corporal form by the finale, I have to eat a tomato like an apple. Please David help me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
This was the best episode of the best TV show.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Consummate Professional posted:

If Laura doesn’t return in a corporal form by the finale, I have to eat a tomato like an apple. Please David help me.

Do you hate tomatoes or something? That's a weak challenge. I would eat a tomato like an apple right now, they are delicious. I'm going to head out to the Convenient Store right now and buy a tomato.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
"I don't like red herrings in my mystery show!" - <:mad:>

:jerkbag:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Regarde Aduck posted:

They were murdering assholes. I'm glad they died.

p much

live by the sword die by the sword they got shot up unceremoniously like they shot down people unceremoniously rest in piss etc

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Section 9 posted:

Do you hate tomatoes or something? That's a weak challenge. I would eat a tomato like an apple right now, they are delicious. I'm going to head out to the Convenient Store right now and buy a tomato.

I hate tomatoes with all of my heart and soul. And my girlfriend believes The Return only refers to Coop

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Section 9 posted:

Same. Not exactly an onion, is it.

man nurse posted:

I'm not pleased that this entire season went by with Coop only turning up for the final batch. The Dougie poo poo went on for way too long and the payoff isn't nearly worth all the missed opportunities to do something more interesting than farting around with vegetable coop. Call me a butthurt nerd if you want, but I feel kind of cheated.

Anyway, good episode, I'm expecting big things for the finale.

I do feel a bit weird about rewatching this show once it's over. The entire thing kind of centres around anticipation, and that might feel pretty tiresome when you can count the minutes to Coop returning. Then again, I felt Dougie paid off wonderfully, with every part of his arc getting wrapped up and connected to the main storyline's resolution in some way. (Well, maybe the Fuskos were slightly pointless.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Consummate Professional posted:

Oh what a horrible fate

(E: for real though I love eating tomatoes but for some reason if I just chow on a raw one the acids eat right through my tongue instantly. And I'm someone who will happily eat lemons like they were oranges)

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

man nurse posted:

You're a butthurt nerd.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
So I take it all those disjointed bar table conversions and that distraught girl being lifted to the floor by those bikers in the way a couple of orderlies might do so, took place in Audry's mental institution?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A little bit of salt and pepper sprinkled on it. Delicious.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The Fate of the Dumbassassins was absolutely hilarious

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Accretionist posted:

The Fate of the Dumbassassins was absolutely hilarious

It really was. I thought he was gonna get away until oops nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

And More posted:

I do feel a bit weird about rewatching this show once it's over. The entire thing kind of centres around anticipation, and that might feel pretty tiresome when you can count the minutes to Coop returning. Then again, I felt Dougie paid off wonderfully, with every part of his arc getting wrapped up and connected to the main storyline's resolution in some way. (Well, maybe the Fuskos were slightly pointless.)

I'm starting to feel the same. I've rewatched every episode up to now multiple times and always enjoyed it and found little things to consider for the future in each. With a bunch of characters being killed off without being involved in any main plot points I feel like their scenes on a rewatch will be less important. But as always I'm waiting for the end and expecting that there will be bits in the next two episodes that will make things as far back as the pilot become more relevant in retrospect. That is my hope, at least.