Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

ProfessorCirno posted:

The whole loving point is to remove the idea that you have to spend hours pouring over the books to get just the right combinations of powers. That's not gameplay. That's homework. Events should be decided because of what happen in the game - not because of metagame decisions made before the game even started.

This this this this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

P.d0t posted:

This this this this

I've always had a feeling that detailed charges is actually there to shore up failures in the deeper system of many games. Like, the character generation is long and detailed because that's when you actually get to imagine your character doing awesome things. Once you're in the actual game, the play will be rather generic. I remember seeing a video game design video that talked a lot about how Overwatch made a lot of effort to ensure that you "feel like your character" in first person, even though all you see is their gun. RPGs really need to do a bit more of that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

13th Age used your character's background to roll skill tests, essentially turning every challenge into an opportunity to flesh out your character.

More stuff like that would be absolutely welcome, but mainstream games have conditioned so many expectations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I was doing stuff in town yesterday and I stopped by the chain bookstore to poke around for a bit. I checked the RPG shelf, and it was nothing but D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and a single Dungeon Crawl Classics core book (Starfinder was also present, but that's just Pathfinder again). The Pathfinder card game and Lords of Waterdeep were also there. It was kinda depressing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Leperflesh posted:

Wil Wheaton is repellently bad on camera and I don't understand how he still has a popular following. I mean, he's a perfectly nice guy and I genuinely like him, but my god, he is always fake-"on" in a really awful way. I imagine him trying to promote a product to the general public would actually hurt sales.

I like his on-camera persona, for what that's worth.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Wil Wheaton's on-camera persona is, for lack of a better word, emphatic, and features cartoonishly precise enunciation. I often see nerds adopt this performative stance though it's hardly a nerd thing. It's very explicitly a performance and my preference is having that same amount of effort and practice devoted to a more naturalistic approach.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's obscenely insincere. I don't care if he's the nicest guy on the planet, gently caress him if he won't drop the act long enough to play boardgames with his "friends."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

moths posted:

It's obscenely insincere. I don't care if he's the nicest guy on the planet, gently caress him if he won't drop the act long enough to play boardgames with his "friends."

If you're referring to Tabletop, they're explicitly putting on a show. It's not 100% scripted, obviously...but people are obviously playing characters, not just sitting around playing a game.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Probably, I'm not 100% sure what I saw him on. He seemed fake as hell, and radiated a skeevy creeper vibe that I wish I could describe better.

E: that might be what makes him relatable? Not for me, anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't know anything about Wil Wheaton the person but as an actor he's fantastic at playing self-absorbed slimeball villains and I'm actually kind of sad that I've only seen him cast this way once, and for a relatively minor part.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Leverage or Big Bang Theory?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Leverage or Big Bang Theory?

Dark Matter.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In this video clip, chris hardwick gives wil wheaton a christmas present, and for maybe 20 seconds in there, wil is entirely taken aback and surprised and delighted and you get a real genuine moment, before the "on" persona comes back. That's wil's actual personality and it seems great, I'd love to have him as a buddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jvwMlAJBdA

He's just really bad at his on-screen Wil Wheaton character, particularly the "I am super cheerful and enthusiastic about everything" approach. He comes off as a terrible 1970s gameshow host.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't know anything about Wil Wheaton the person but as an actor he's fantastic at playing self-absorbed slimeball villains and I'm actually kind of sad that I've only seen him cast this way once, and for a relatively minor part.

Don't confuse hating his character with hating his execrable acting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He was good on Criminal Minds too, in the villain vein.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Wil read choose your own adventure novels to kids at local libraries, but also is a premiere Hollywood liberal "whattabouter".

I don't find his on screen character particularly appealing or unappealing.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Golden Bee posted:

Wil read choose your own adventure novels to kids at local libraries, but also is a premiere Hollywood liberal "whattabouter".

I don't find his on screen character particularly appealing or unappealing.

If you look for 'milquetoast' in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of Wil Wheaton.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Yeah that's the sort of thing where Shadowrun fucks up. The problem is that the rationale commonly used to say "that's dumb" is also dumb. It's one thing to say "thematically this moves too far from the source material" (I don't agree but there's a legit argument that can be constructed here) or "the implementation of this is lovely, both in terms of mechanics and logic" (absolutely true).

But the arguments are usually about ~realism~ and the idea that 'runners and Corps both make always-optimal choices to maximize their returns, even if they're chasing a tiny tiny edge.

That's just not how these things actually work. Hell, there's even a whole philosophy in project management about this idea. It's relatively low effort to solve for 80% of cases, fairly significant effort to solve for the next 10%, and an absolutely absurd amount of effort to solve for the last 10%. So companies generally don't try to cover that last 10% and deal with it on an exception basis, or just don't bother serving those customers at all. This should be how megacorps generally behave.

It's also at the heart of why cyberpunk worlds suck - it's one thing if a restaurant that specializes in Thai food ultimately decides just to put up warning signs that they can't accommodate peanut allergies. That still kind of sucks, especially when a bunch of restaurants all make the same decision independently, and there's arguments to be made about what are legitimate reasons for non-accommodation.

It's an entirely different level of awful when people working from the same mindset are in charge of safe drinking water or building codes, and that's even before you add in that quarterly returns are the only criterion those people are being judged on, and that the people really responsible are shielded from any actual consequences.

Basically if you want a primer on how megacorps should behave, go watch Glengarry Glen Ross, Wall Street, The Big Short, Too Big to Fail, and The Smartest Guys in the Room. Especially the last three since they are connected to actual cases where widely praised industries, corporations, and executives made obviously bad choices because it was easy.

This is a pretty elegant way of putting this and it fairly obviously isn't even limited to cyberpunk given that those are all real scenarios and real reasons why 'privatization' has been a disaster in some places. I think one reason it fails in RPGs is that a lot of people don't fully understand that, and also are much more familiar with the trope of the enemy panopticon, and also the idea that they can always ultimately punch the right person to solve poverty/if they enthrone the right king all will be set to right/if they release the right damning evidence then justice shall prevail. Cyberpunk literature waffles back and forth on these areas though most of the authors lean towards their stories being bleak scrabbles for a small measure of victory against an enemy that isn't really an enemy. Cyberpunk RPGs are caught between the normal RPG power fantasy and those realities/genre conventions and they're not super-compatible unfortunately. Not to say that cyberpunk is wasted genre, but I think RPGs are always going to get it kind of wrong.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Corporate mediocrity is less compelling as an antagonist than frightening corporate competence. So the question is: if the corporations and their machinations are merely setting/background, then go ahead and make them blunder around a bit; but if your PCs are pitted directly against them, they may need to be unrealistically good at what they're doing in order for it to really feel satisfying to beat them.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
AEG published a piece on what sort of games they'd be interested in hearing pitches about :

https://www.alderac.com/2017-gencon-pitch-meetings/

I'm not actually going to pitch any games, but it's fascinating reading about what a publisher think about the industry. Does anyone else publish something similar?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

AEG published a piece on what sort of games they'd be interested in hearing pitches about :

I'm not actually going to pitch any games, but it's fascinating reading about what a publisher think about the industry. Does anyone else publish something similar?

Yeah although it's not games in general SJGames puts out a GURPS wish list for which titles they're interested in seeing submissions on. Since GURPS covers everything it's a good peek into what lines they think sell well enough to be worth expanding.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

That sounds a lot like Dancey. I'm not saying I know it's Dancey, but it reads keenly like his writing style.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That sounds a lot like Dancey. I'm not saying I know it's Dancey, but it reads keenly like his writing style.

It's got his email address listed lower down, so you're probably right.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah although it's not games in general SJGames puts out a GURPS wish list for which titles they're interested in seeing submissions on. Since GURPS covers everything it's a good peek into what lines they think sell well enough to be worth expanding.

That's pretty interesting. SJ games general level of openness (showing sales!) always surprises me

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

potatocubed posted:

It's got his email address listed lower down, so you're probably right.

Ha ha, can't believe I missed that.

I don't know if I'm proud or depressed I can recognize the way he writes now.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ha ha, can't believe I missed that.

I don't know if I'm proud or depressed I can recognize the way he writes now.

I'm more impressed with how out of touch he is. He says he wants a Settlers, but Settlers sat on the shelves for years before it hit real mass market. Also his don't want list is basically everything he would remotely have experience with.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Leperflesh posted:

Corporate mediocrity is less compelling as an antagonist than frightening corporate competence. So the question is: if the corporations and their machinations are merely setting/background, then go ahead and make them blunder around a bit; but if your PCs are pitted directly against them, they may need to be unrealistically good at what they're doing in order for it to really feel satisfying to beat them.

Going with the whole 80/10/10% with how large corporations deal with problems, I'd be more inclined to run them as sleeping giants: for the most part, they simply can't be bothered to give a poo poo about what the player characters do, because their impact is minimal - they have so many revenue streams, research operations, etc. that they can just write off most runner actions as the cost of doing business and it'll have zero impact on their bottom line. Hell, since they control most of the laws they might even get a kickback from it.

It's when players gently caress around with something that's way over their heads - something that actually affects the business - that the giant wakes up. And suddenly they realize - hopefully not too late - that their opponent thinks it's worth it to destroy an entire building just to eliminate them, a la Weyland Industries' Scorched Earth card from Netrunner.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Kwyndig posted:

I'm more impressed with how out of touch he is. He says he wants a Settlers, but Settlers sat on the shelves for years before it hit real mass market. Also his don't want list is basically everything he would remotely have experience with.

I am pretty sure my first thought with AEG selling off L5R was "Well, at least this company had a good run."

Is this them desperately trying to find a product someone will care about? I have played a little Smash Up, and while a fun filler game it seems hard to prop up a company with. I think they have finally stopped shoveling 1000 versions of Love Letter to retail.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am pretty sure my first thought with AEG selling off L5R was "Well, at least this company had a good run."

Is this them desperately trying to find a product someone will care about? I have played a little Smash Up, and while a fun filler game it seems hard to prop up a company with. I think they have finally stopped shoveling 1000 versions of Love Letter to retail.

Lovecraft Letter (groan) would beg to differ: https://www.alderac.com/lovecraftletter/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As a child I never would've believed that Lovecraftian...stuff would become so popular, but I also would never have believed it would become this sort of TVTropes Ranch Dressing that people would just pour on top of everything.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

As a child I never would've believed that Lovecraftian...stuff would become so popular, but I also would never have believed it would become this sort of TVTropes Ranch Dressing that people would just pour on top of everything.
They ran out of things to spray-paint a coating of "Zombie" on top of, so "Cthulhu" was next on the list.

BRB, prepping my pitch for "The Settlers of Fhtagn"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Keep going until we get Del Toro's "At the Mountains of Madness" movie.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FMguru posted:

BRB, prepping my pitch for "The Settlers of Fhtagn"
The island is new-risen R'lyeh, you each play a cult leader trying to build the most impressive complex so Cthulhu does you the honor of eating you first when he awakens, the resources are all things like "sacrificial victims", "curvy daggers", "cyclopean stones", and "insane cultists", the improvements are all "ley lines", "altars", and "temples", and the thief is now a shoggoth.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Serf posted:

Keep going until we get Del Toro's "At the Mountains of Madness" movie.
He scrapped development because Ridley Scott already made it.

And geeks hated it!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Geeks will always hate any long-awaited movie adaption of a popular property, because the movie will never match up with the perfect version they have in their heads.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

He scrapped development because Ridley Scott already made it.

And geeks hated it!

I dunno, I thought it was pretty good. Still want to see a proper adaptation.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

And geeks hated it!

In the geeks' defense, everybody hated it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

LuiCypher posted:

Going with the whole 80/10/10% with how large corporations deal with problems, I'd be more inclined to run them as sleeping giants: for the most part, they simply can't be bothered to give a poo poo about what the player characters do, because their impact is minimal - they have so many revenue streams, research operations, etc. that they can just write off most runner actions as the cost of doing business and it'll have zero impact on their bottom line. Hell, since they control most of the laws they might even get a kickback from it.

It's when players gently caress around with something that's way over their heads - something that actually affects the business - that the giant wakes up. And suddenly they realize - hopefully not too late - that their opponent thinks it's worth it to destroy an entire building just to eliminate them, a la Weyland Industries' Scorched Earth card from Netrunner.
I totally agree. Most of the time the 'runners aren't dealing with the megacorp as whole, but a local branch and it's particular managers who are trying to climb that corporate ladder. It might be life or death for the local VP if their project comes off, but it's a rounding error for the corp as a whole, and chances are there's an ambitious junior exec ready to take their place (and probably stabbing the VP in the back already). That's another part to remember - corps aren't monolithic. Every time a 'runner crew takes out a corp project, there's a decent chance the execs they piss off get the axe and new management slides in, without any vested interested in wasting time and money in chasing down the 'runners. If the 'runners make too much of a nuisance then the whole might of the corp might be unleashed, but that should be an unusual circumstance. Generally speaking, try to keep in mind the difference between the local branch and corporate HQ.

Speaking of not being monolithic, the corps as a group really shouldn't be. Most of the time they have zero reason to cooperate in dealing with 'runners. Sure, the store across the street has security cameras pointed right at where the 'runners were - but that store is owned by Renraku, and the run was against Ares. Renraku has zero motivation to turn over sensitive assets to Ares - in fact they have reason to gently caress Ares as much as possible, even if they weren't the ones who hired the 'runners. On top of that, pissing off another megacorp is almost always going to represent a higher cost than whatever dickery you just suffered at the hands of the 'runners. The panopticon in cyberpunk is balkanized, and owned by entities who have no mandate to cooperate or to maintain "law and order" beyond a minimum effort to protect the bottom line. Corporate security staff is generally not opposing 'runners based on a principled stand against criminality. Even if they were - remember the FBI and local law enforcement notoriously have trouble cooperating.

The main thing isn't to portray the corp opposition as either incompetent or hyper-competent, but uneven. If your plan falls into the 80% to 90% they've planned for, then it's difficult to impossible. What makes 'runners special is that they have the skills to find and exploit the 10% corner cases. In particular the best loopholes are the ones that are obviously dumb but wouldn't actually matter without bypassing something that's smart. That's the best kind of dipshit corporate behavior to use - where they've cut corners or been lazy because some other factor should cover for them. 'Runs really should be a matter of finding or making a bunch of small holes in each security layer and lining them up in an unexpected way.

Look at heist movies - pretty much all of them include a line to the effect of "we've found dumb oversight X and we have the skill to bypass security measure Y, but that still leaves Z." And then they have to come up with something crazy that only they can manage to deal with Z. In Ocean's 11, the oversight was that the target casinos were lax on floor employee background checks (they slipped a team member onto the staff and got other info/resources from a disgruntled employee), because they thought it wouldn't matter given their technological security. The security measure they could bypass by skill was getting into the vault (this later was complicated and required a new crazy plan when the target found the exploit and fixed it). Getting out again, though, required a crazy plan that only that particular crew could pull off.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

moths posted:

In the geeks' defense, everybody hated it.
Nah, it was a critical and commercial success. It's places like RedLetterMedia or whatever that get people thinking that everyone hated every film.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I totally agree. Most of the time the 'runners aren't dealing with the megacorp as whole, but a local branch and it's particular managers who are trying to climb that corporate ladder. It might be life or death for the local VP if their project comes off, but it's a rounding error for the corp as a whole, and chances are there's an ambitious junior exec ready to take their place (and probably stabbing the VP in the back already). That's another part to remember - corps aren't monolithic. Every time a 'runner crew takes out a corp project, there's a decent chance the execs they piss off get the axe and new management slides in, without any vested interested in wasting time and money in chasing down the 'runners. If the 'runners make too much of a nuisance then the whole might of the corp might be unleashed, but that should be an unusual circumstance.
This is the part where Shadowrun trips, falls down the stairs, breaks its spine in 20 places, and is somehow found with its head jammed up its own rear end.

The entire premise of Shadowrun is that you are deniable assets hired by an unknown person to commit crimes for unknown reasons. Whatever megacorp you are operating against should have no reason, what-so-loving-ever, to track you down.

Yet an absurd amount of Shadowrun flavour fiction involves the runners being hosed over by Mr. Johnson and hunted down by whatever corporation they were targeting. It's funny how 90% of all shadowruns are false-flag operations.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Halloween Jack posted:

Nah, it was a critical and commercial success. It's places like RedLetterMedia or whatever that get people thinking that everyone hated every film.
I wouldn't call it a critical success, though I agree that geek media is skewed in how much its hated. But in the other direction this is a case where Rotten Tomato scores - and MetaCritic, to a lesser extent - can be a bit misleading. Critics rated it as great looking, but the plotting got panned pretty widely. The same thing happened to Covenant, but more so. Critically it was a pretty tepid reception. So you have a lot of reviews that are much closer to neutral but get counted as positive.

Halloween Jack posted:

This is the part where Shadowrun trips, falls down the stairs, breaks its spine in 20 places, and is somehow found with its head jammed up its own rear end.

The entire premise of Shadowrun is that you are deniable assets hired by an unknown person to commit crimes for unknown reasons. Whatever megacorp you are operating against should have no reason, what-so-loving-ever, to track you down.

Yet an absurd amount of Shadowrun flavour fiction involves the runners being hosed over by Mr. Johnson and hunted down by whatever corporation they were targeting. It's funny how 90% of all shadowruns are false-flag operations.
I do think it's reasonably true to life that the guys you just hosed are a bit pissy about it. And no, the fact that they hire 'runners too doesn't mean they're going to treat it just as a "professional" matter. So I don't think that the target coming after you - especially in the guise of local execs desperate to save their own hides - is unreasonable, up to a certain point. Really it's just a matter of not thinking about the people in the megacorp as characters and giving them reasonable motivations of their own.

The double-cross from the Johnson on the other hand is definitely massively overused and lazy as gently caress.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 28, 2017

• Locked thread