Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yoshi has simultaneously gotten better and worse about taking his medicine. He's learned to make it harder to hold his beak open, but he struggles a lot less, in the end, and despite the gross medicine taste, he still seems to calm down when we tell him he's a good bird for taking them. He gets that we're very nice to him for a little bit afterwards and seems to endure through it.

It's kind of funny watching him dive his face straight into his food and rub his beak all over every surface afterwards. It's a very identifiable "Yuck!" reaction. He also really loves his showers more than usual right now, although that may just be that the poor devil is also molting.

We were extremely happy when he said "D'you want da payper?" though, and it was context correct, because I was waving a tissue in front of him (he is a big fan of a game where I pretend to try to cover him with a tissue, and he grabs it from me, tears into a little, and then throws it on the floor). It's kind of incredible how budgies learn language. Every university in the country could have scores of people devoting their lives to it, and they'd still have so much to learn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Captain Log posted:

Sorry to be unclear. Finch care bothered me but I'm not an expert. Owner seemed less concerned about things than his employees. Store looks like it's made of cardboard.

But if I was an guy with a lovely location and birds to care for is do the same thing. I'm trying to mine you folks for finch information.

:)

P. S. Pig still favouring one foot? I'm very happy that he pulled through the scary bit.

All the good exotic pet specialty stores must look sketchy as gently caress, it's a rule. My best local fish place is literally a brick warehouse in the worst part of the city. I'm pretty sure it's because the profits are way lower than a general pet store due to fewer people owning exotics + exotics costing more in the first place, so they have to find the cheapest rents.

That being said, finches are birds like any other and while they don't need nearly as much space as parrots, they need enough to hop/flit around and a good amount of light and fresh air. I would at least speak to him about it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Youth Decay posted:

All the good exotic pet specialty stores must look sketchy as gently caress, it's a rule. My best local fish place is literally a brick warehouse in the worst part of the city. I'm pretty sure it's because the profits are way lower than a general pet store due to fewer people owning exotics + exotics costing more in the first place, so they have to find the cheapest rents.

That being said, finches are birds like any other and while they don't need nearly as much space as parrots, they need enough to hop/flit around and a good amount of light and fresh air. I would at least speak to him about it.

Good idea. I'll just straight up ask him about it. I don't want to work, even a little, in a parrot store/sanctuary that has a lovely finch practice.

I think you are onto something about exotic stores though. I've been to some good ones that I was pretty sure I'd get stabbed in the parking lot.

Clary
Jan 6, 2011

What are birds?
We just don't know.
Greetings bird thread! All our birds are doing good, and I'll catch up on the thread and do some update posts soon. Please accept this gift of Skillet singing the "Baby Bird Song" to his Booberry in the meantime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYVY8B1tG-A

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Clary posted:

Greetings bird thread! All our birds are doing good, and I'll catch up on the thread and do some update posts soon. Please accept this gift of Skillet singing the "Baby Bird Song" to his Booberry in the meantime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYVY8B1tG-A

that was adorable....I may steal that song :P

Cricket gets the "Little birdie, little baby birdie...little birdie, you're a baby bird!" song. I wonder why she likes to say birdie so much lol

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Hello bird thread. Anyone has any recommendations to decorate a room with greenery when budgies are around? I find their current environment a bit "dry". I don't even mind if it's something they can go and munch on to get their munching away and buying a new plant once in a while.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

StarMinstrel posted:

Hello bird thread. Anyone has any recommendations to decorate a room with greenery when budgies are around? I find their current environment a bit "dry". I don't even mind if it's something they can go and munch on to get their munching away and buying a new plant once in a while.

If you google a list of "poisonous plants" and then talk to your vet about said list - it will make your head explode. I went through a phase of bird ownership where I felt like a wrong glance would kill them.

That being said, are you talking about things they will climb on or just things to make them comfortable while in their habitat?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Captain Log posted:

If you google a list of "poisonous plants" and then talk to your vet about said list - it will make your head explode. I went through a phase of bird ownership where I felt like a wrong glance would kill them.

That being said, are you talking about things they will climb on or just things to make them comfortable while in their habitat?

Yeah, I've already seen those lists, and most of them seem to have the latin names of the plants on top of being having the translated names in English, which tells me f all considering it's a secondary language for me and I know nothing of plant names. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up climbing in them considering the spot I have in mind for them is a bit over their cage, on a small platform where they usually hang out. I'm not planning on putting greeneries inside their cage since it would take up too much space.

/edit: like this is nuts and tells me nothing of what would be an easy thing to decorate around the cage with: http://budgieplace.com/plants.html

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Most succulents, as far as I know, should be pretty harmless. Plus, they're pretty hard to kill accidentally.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Grow some ginger, they look nice and you can harvest the root in 10ish months or so. Herbs like basil, mint, coriander, etc are good for you and birb. Sprouts and grasses grow fast and can be eaten, you can get bird safe mixes to sprout like:

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=20806&product=20818
http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=19830&product=19862
http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=596&product=5036

Here is Inko hidden under the microwave, as mentioned the other day. He landed hooked on to the wooden shelf, pulled himself up and wiggled under

Where did he go??? Guess I can't file his nails now oh well

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 27, 2017

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
A strategic thinker, that Inko

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

Here is Inko hidden under the microwave, as mentioned the other day. He landed hooked on to the wooden shelf, pulled himself up and wiggled under

Where did he go??? Guess I can't file his nails now oh well

If you ever give up on Inko I will take him, I love him.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
does he come with the microwave though?

Clary
Jan 6, 2011

What are birds?
We just don't know.
So photogenic even shoved under a microwave.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Suntan Boy posted:

Most succulents, as far as I know, should be pretty harmless. Plus, they're pretty hard to kill accidentally.

This look like decent enough sorts. I'll go through their list later.
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/houseplants/projects/top-10-succulents-for-home/

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

StarMinstrel posted:

Yeah, I've already seen those lists, and most of them seem to have the latin names of the plants on top of being having the translated names in English, which tells me f all considering it's a secondary language for me and I know nothing of plant names. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up climbing in them considering the spot I have in mind for them is a bit over their cage, on a small platform where they usually hang out. I'm not planning on putting greeneries inside their cage since it would take up too much space.

/edit: like this is nuts and tells me nothing of what would be an easy thing to decorate around the cage with: http://budgieplace.com/plants.html

http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/articles/safeplants.htm

Found this too...hope it helps some!

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Fred says hi

Fred would like more scritches, please.

Someday, I'll make a gif of his crazy eyes; those pupils go a mile a minute up until it's scritch time.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
On the subject of plants - I'd avoid ANY red decoration/flowering plant. I have no decent idea why, but every parrot type birb I've been around is terrified of red.

I once had a red USB drive that is apparently the devil according to...five separate birds by now. It's odd.

Hell, I've never got a bird to eat a drat strawberry!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Hell, I've never got a bird to eat a drat strawberry!

We did this by biting into it and making yummy sounds, then holding it slightly away like "Much too good for birds!" and Yoshi flew right over and starting trying to eat it, lol

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Here's Bonnie and her new home.
Test came back, it's a female Quaker parrot, so I named her Bonnie.

I think she was really shook up by the car ride and the new environment, since she's spent a lot of time just frozen, but she seems to have thawed out some.

edit:
Oh yeah, I didn't know parrots purred. She does it a lot when she's standing on my shoulder.

Also I rarely see her eating, but I don't know how else such a small bird could poop so much.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 28, 2017

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Rockopolis posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't know parrots purred. She does it a lot when she's standing on my shoulder.

Parrot purring is the most relaxing sound in the world.

Not biased.

:3:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like when it's a kind of hoot-purring, when it sounds kind of like "woop-rrrrty-wooprrrrr."

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Someone laid an egg so I busted out the good old fake eggs. Crouton accepted the new eggs so hard that she promptly rolled the real egg out of the nest and smooshed it to bits on the cage floor :stonklol:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Someone laid an egg so I busted out the good old fake eggs. Crouton accepted the new eggs so hard that she promptly rolled the real egg out of the nest and smooshed it to bits on the cage floor :stonklol:

Those must be some really good fake eggs

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Do parrots eat their own unfertilized eggs like chickens do?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

The Narrator posted:

Those must be some really good fake eggs

Yeah, the vendor is definitely getting a five star review!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I'm so sorry, your birb has the OCD.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
She also also now decided that the Deadly Jingly Ball is either A) another egg or B) is VERY THREATENING and would be a great nest defender because it is now right in the middle of her nest getting raised alongside her six other beautiful plastic babies.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Birds. Not even once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM3suiNMHA4

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I am not a bird owner, but I am 90% convinced that the bird on that man's head in that video is directly in control of the man's body.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

I'm really glad to see that guy posting videos again. He took his cockatiel's death pretty hard several months ago.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Charlie Day has some nice birds.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't expecting that, I love this video and that guy :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori has a lump by his eye, it's been there two days now and not disappeared yet. He doesn't mind it being touched or poked and it doesn't seem to bother him so we left it to see if it went down/disappeared, but it hasn't yet. It's small so hard to tell but it seems more squishy than hard? I thought it was a swelling, maybe he poked himself or whatever, but like said it hasn't gone down. He isn't acting differently at all, weighs the same, eats as much as ever and still moves basically non-stop.

We also both have flu (or something like it), plus the usual issues with bird experienced vets here, plus a family member's death days ago just makes this a really bad time for bird to have problems. :(

We'll try calling the bird vet tomorrow and see if/when they see the public nowadays, otherwise probably the vet that he was boarded with last. Until then, anyone have ideas about it?

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

Do birds get styes maybe? No idea how you'd go about treating it, i dont think a bird would sit still for a hot compress on their eye...

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
an alive budgie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAo5eDL0QWE

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The evenings have been cool here so I've been opening up the windows during that time. My grey's play perch is right by a window facing the street. Quite a few people walked by the house walking or walking their pets. He could clearly see and hear them. My bird tried so goddamn hard to get their attention. He was screaming out the window doing his entire repertoire for them. He didn't give up and kept at it for a while. I haven't laughed that hard at him.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

A good boodg :3: he seems to be in good shape!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

so good.