Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree that Cooper returning took too long to be worth it, absolutely wonderful as it was, but it's because the season is too long. 18 episodes is seriously just too many, I'd have thought they'd have learned this 25 years ago when the same thing happened to Season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's so crazy that people including me were right about Evil Coop both being Richard's dad and raping Diane, even though it was only creepy rape-obsessed goons who could have possibly thought that way.

Yeah you better believe I'm smug as hell right now

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm not rape-obsessed, but I'm feeling smug as hell considering how much poo poo I got for discussing it.

Considering it's a show based on the initial mystery of who raped and killed Sarah Palmer.

edit: Also, props to Basebf555 who guessed that Diane started with a consensual encounter with Coop which lead to Bad Coop taking advantage of her.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Escobarbarian posted:

That's so crazy that people including me were right about Evil Coop both being Richard's dad and raping Diane, even though it was only creepy rape-obsessed goons who could have possibly thought that way.

cool as heck to be smug about rape

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The Boop raping Diane was pretty obvious though from that episode (7?) and I don't think Lynch telegraphed it in any other way tbh

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Escobarbarian posted:

Goons are pretty weird about TV. I remember when people were seriously getting angry in the Breaking Bad threads because some people liked the main character of the show they watch.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
[quote="“Berke Negri”" post="“475817038”"]
cool as heck to be smug about rape
[/quote]

Yeah, don’t be?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Escobarbarian posted:

What people were giving you and said others poo poo for was not your guess, but your unwillingness to see any other possibility and your steadfast commitment to the idea. Good on you for having a keen eye for subtext and all, but that's not why you were getting flak for thinking it was the case. It was the pages and pages of restating the same theory from the same handful of posters.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

edit: Also, props to Basebf555 who guessed that Diane started with a consensual encounter with Coop which lead to Bad Coop taking advantage of her.

Ahh I forgot about that. Nice catch.

Other than that yeah this episode was fantastic. The abrupt ends to the Richard/Hutchenses storylines are probably the weak link, but I still enjoyed both of them. The Audrey scene was incredible, I can't believe nobody predicted Diane being a doppelgänger (or did they? I missed it if so), and yeah all Coop's scenes are just perfect and fantastic. Fuckin love them Mitchum brothers.

So the sense I got from the "you made my heart full" or whatever line is that the love and friendship Coop received as Dougie is what allowed him to come back whole, instead of the broken man many were predicting? Unsure if that's just my personal reading or not.

OH MY GOD NEXT WEEK IS GONNA BE OFF THE CHAIN

CJacobs posted:

What people were giving you and said others poo poo for was not your guess, but your unwillingness to see any other possibility and your steadfast commitment to the idea. Good on you for having a keen eye for subtext and all, but that's not why you were getting flak for thinking it was the case. It was the pages and pages of restating the same theory from the same handful of posters.

I mean yeah? Because it was totally obvious in both cases and people's reasons for saying otherwise were just based on their own hangups? Still laughing at the whole hypnotised thing tbh

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The drama was retarded. All of you hosed up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean yeah? Because it was totally obvious in both cases and people's reasons for saying otherwise were just based on their own hangups? Still laughing at the whole hypnotised thing tbh

Well yes, it was pretty obvious, but my point is that the sheer persistence was the part that was weird, not the theory itself.

edit: I did enjoy that scene regardless though. I'm sure Diane's final monologue is supposed to be an "Oh. :(" moment more than an "Oh?! :monocle:" moment for the audience, which I really liked.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Can I interrupt the rape chat with a request for a screen shot of Mike saying "Finally"?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Flyinglemur posted:

Can I interrupt the rape chat with a request for a screen shot of Mike saying "Finally"?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
What the gently caress is with Audrey’s scene though

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
So like, what happened to the real Diane? Did she get trapped in the lodge, like Coop, or did Mr. C kill her after they went to the convenience store? That's the only point I'm fuzzy on.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I suspect that, even if we've seen the last of Richard as a character, we're not done with his implications yet. In that sense, I hesitate to call him a narrative dead end.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Berke Negri posted:

in the super mitchum bros defense they did think that dooper had robbed them out of something to the tune of like $300m

Wasn't it a $30mil check though?

Escobarbarian posted:

I commented to a friend about this and his response was that it was a common opinion elsewhere too. SA just isn't fond of certain topics regardless of the context.
[sprints away from minefield]

More important was watching Jerry use the binoculars backward because he was too high to comprehend anything. Also now we have to suffer a whole week to find out it Dickhole Horne was vaporized or transported to the Black Lodge. Which reminds me, the fat chick he failed to murder is in a coma too. Lots of comas going around.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I mean the hypnotized pretty much reads until the final moment when Diane starts muttering "I'm in the Sheriff's Station...I'm not me...I'm not me..." and so on.

The whole tulpa thing is kind of a new concept that opens up a lot of (good and bad imo) doors while prior we knew of dopples and possessions, not Lodge inhabitants able to just make dupes separate from either.

psychoJ posted:

So like, what happened to the real Diane? Did she get trapped in the lodge, like Coop, or did Mr. C kill her after they went to the convenience store? That's the only point I'm fuzzy on.

Think it's really just up to speculation now. The Diane/Naido thing sounds convincing, besides the possible name play and "I'm in the sheriff's station..." but also cause she's a mute helper that carries Cooper on his way like Diane did in the original series. It never seems like anyone in Twin Peaks ever "really" dies once they've come in contact with the lodges. They live on as themselves, or their shadow selves, or something.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 28, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

psychoJ posted:

I assume she was raped and murdered with the psychic damage transferring forward into her construct.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Some observations & questions after a rewatch:

How did Jerry end up at the coordinates?
Who were the 3 people who gave coordinates to Mr. C? Ray, Jeffries, and ?
WILSON!
I love the Zawaski Accounting guy.
The ringing sound drew Bushnell away - presumably it's the One Armed Man drawing him away so he can talk to Coop, so is he doing the same to Ben?
The theme song playing after Coop is back, so good.
Where is the real Diane? Was she supposed to know or talk about the Sheriff Station?
Mr C had many backups to kill Coop (Dougie tulpa, Diane tulpa, other assassins). How did he know when he would be coming out?
Gordon Cole seemed to know that she (or something) was coming. I really thought he was going to die.
"You've made my heart so full"
I hope Janey-E and Sunny Jim get a happy ending.
I really love Belushi in this season. Just the look on his face when he gets the Bloody Mary and then slurping it through the straw, just great. The Super Mitchum Bros as fun.
Candie is phenomenal as well.
"Ladies and Gentlemen...Audrey's Dance"

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Accretionist posted:

The Fate of the Dumbassassins was absolutely hilarious

I loved it too that whole sequence was absolutely amazing. That accountant was having a bad day and these rude assholes parked their van on his property.
Get smoked.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Richard could have been cut from the entire show. So could the Dumbassassins. I think by the time the credits roll about 80% of the new characters that have been introduced will have had no impact on anything outside of their own tiny screen time. Don't know how I feel about that yet. One more week and I'll know though!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The line that really killed me in that sequence was when one of the Mitchums asked "What the gently caress is going on in this neighborhood?"

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
The dumbassassins were so Tarantino it hurt, including the way they were gunned down out of nowhere

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 28, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Jerry ended up at the coordinates because they're close to the actual town of Twin Peaks, and he's been wandering around the outskirts for a while.

Also yeah I can be pretty persistent when people are calling me a creeper for pointing out obvious poo poo in a television show. I know that's my own hangup and it shouldn't matter but that vindication still felt pretty sweet y'know

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Am I nuts, or did they reuse the exact same take of MIKE saying "someone manufactured you" from when Dougie was sucked into the Black Lodge?

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"
Audrey was very clearly wearing a ring during her dance scene, was it the lodge ring? It kinda looked like it but i couldn't tell.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Cooper is back, baby

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

el oso posted:

Some observations & questions after a rewatch:

How did Jerry end up at the coordinates?

Pot

el oso posted:

Who were the 3 people who gave coordinates to Mr. C? Ray, Jeffries, and ?

Not sure...maybe Diane off-screen? Two gave him wrong coordinates, which I would assume were Ray and Jeffries, but????

el oso posted:

Mr C had many backups to kill Coop (Dougie tulpa, Diane tulpa, other assassins). How did he know when he would be coming out?

He apparently created Dougie as a distraction, so he maybe knew Cooper would return at Dougie's place, which explains the first assassins. After that he just kept sending more competant cleanup crews after Dougie and the loose ends. Why he didn't send his best assassins in first is only explained by why they never formed Voltron to kill the big monster of the week right away instead of jumping at it in cat form first.

el oso posted:

I hope Janey-E and Sunny Jim get a happy ending.

If they don't I will be soooo angry. I will understand, but I will still be angry. Also if Big Ed and Norma's happiness turns out to be fake. RRRRrrrr!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

pasaluki posted:

I loved it too that whole sequence was absolutely amazing. That accountant was having a bad day and these rude assholes parked their van on his property.
Get smoked.

Even their fate was something violent and out of nowhere just like a Tarantino movie.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Solice Kirsk posted:

Richard could have been cut from the entire show. So could the Dumbassassins. I think by the time the credits roll about 80% of the new characters that have been introduced will have had no impact on anything outside of their own tiny screen time. Don't know how I feel about that yet. One more week and I'll know though!

If the screentime is good, then what's the problem?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

Also yeah I can be pretty persistent when people are calling me a creeper for pointing out obvious poo poo in a television show. I know that's my own hangup and it shouldn't matter but that vindication still felt pretty sweet y'know

:shrug: You definitely announced it, so I guess that's how it's gonna be. I was really surprised how little you talked about rape in your podcast, btw. It's good stuff. Your friend should consider drinking nothing but sage tea from now on, though.

The doppelganger raping Diane and Audrey and possibly dragging both of them to the black lodge kind of puts a damper on Coop's return. He is about 20 years too late.

quote:

Still laughing at the whole hypnotised thing tbh

She was totally a sleeper agent, dude. :colbert:

el oso posted:

There was a nice parallel between the doppelganger leading his actual son to his doom and Cooper caring for people who aren't actually his family. So, it wasn't completely pointless.

And More fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 28, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't blame you, telling goons to stuff it is a very powerful feeling

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

psychoJ posted:

The dumbassassins were so Tarantino it hurt, including the way they were gunned down put of nowhere

It makes sense if you assume it's crypto sci-fi.

The Black Lodge sees Earth as a hunting preserve.

The White Lodge sees Earth as a nature preserve.

Both exist outside of time. Both are playing 4D chess.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Wow, what a rad episode. Holy smokes. So great to see fully aware Cooper again. Really loved how they handled the scenes between him and Janey-E and Sonny Jim. I though the Roadhouse scenes were really interesting too. I've had a pet theory for a while that the Roadhouse might be another altered space in the same way as Glastonbury Grove, but never thought there was quite enough info to support it. There have been hints since way back though in the original series in the framing of some establishing shots there that mirror the Red Room scenes that I noticed.

In the original series, there were so many appearances there by Lodge spirits that it makes sense. Obviously, I never would have thought to connect it to Audrey in this season. Also, I noticed a while back that in the musical scenes this season the crowd is always the same. Same people, same clothes. I originally noticed that one hipster dude with the glasses in all of them. It's another place in the show that seems to exist totally out of time with the rest of the narrative flow. It was really creepy as hell when the crowd all shifted to make space for Audrey. Can't wait for next week.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

el oso posted:

Because they aren't getting the screen time and it's frequently not good? I'm holding off just declaring every new character outside of Dougie/Booper a waste of time because we have two more hours to go, but so far out seems the deaths of the two kids by "mother" or whatever didn't matter, Richard didn't matter, the lawyer guy and Shaggy's wife didn't matter, if Steve killed Becky and himself then they didn't matter, as silly as Ike the Spike was he didn't matter, the girl he killed didn't matter.

It's just a lot of seemingly filler and I'm not automatically awestruck by everything Lynch does to pretend that it isn't. Next week could prove me 100% wrong, of course, but I don't think it will.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

CJacobs posted:

I really am annoyed about the deaths of the dumbassassins. The person who compared them to Tarantino characters the other week is right- their dialogue is intentionally disconnected and aloof regarding the plot we the viewers care about, they're funny in a grounded and realistic way when everything else is serious, overall their characters serve no real purpose but they're still entertaining, and their deaths were completely pointless and unnecessary. But it's the last part that I'm bothered about.

It's Lynch's response to Tarantino making GBS threads on FWWM when it came out

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

It was the Roadhouse that they took everyone to to confront Leland the first time, right? And all sorts of weird spiritual things started to manifest.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat NObodyNOWHERE, that's an awesome catch. I'm so interested to see how the Roadhouse scenes we know take place in the real world and the fake/strange ones match up together.

and thanks, And More! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Solice Kirsk posted:

Because they aren't getting the screen time and it's frequently not good? I'm holding off just declaring every new character outside of Dougie/Booper a waste of time because we have two more hours to go, but so far out seems the deaths of the two kids by "mother" or whatever didn't matter, Richard didn't matter, the lawyer guy and Shaggy's wife didn't matter, if Steve killed Becky and himself then they didn't matter, as silly as Ike the Spike was he didn't matter, the girl he killed didn't matter.

It's just a lot of seemingly filler and I'm not automatically awestruck by everything Lynch does to pretend that it isn't. Next week could prove me 100% wrong, of course, but I don't think it will.

I don't totally disagree with you, but they all were part of the overarching story and I thought their parts were all interesting. They might not have led anywhere in the main plot, but the parts they played were good, IMO.