Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm assuming Richard does have some significance to the plot other than being a vaporized dick, since Audrey's story has yet to come to a conclusion, and Jerry witnessed it all. There's probably going to be some Horne family vengeance going down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

And More posted:

edit: Surprisingly, that was also the first time Tammy's acting didn't bother me. She was still wiggling in that chair like there's no tomorrow, though.

I think shifting around uncomfortably is the appropriate response to Diane's story.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

:unsmith:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What were the two sources Booper got the trap coordinates from? Jeffries and who?

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

General Dog posted:

What were the two sources Booper got the trap coordinates from? Jeffries and who?

Probably Ray and Diane. I think Jeffries gave him the set of coordinates that didn't match.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

General Dog posted:

Ray.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

General Dog posted:

Diane? The dead librarian? Those are the other places where the coordinates appeared at least.

e: Actually Diane got the coordinates from the dead librarian’s corpse, so nevermind.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 28, 2017

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Because they aren't getting the screen time and it's frequently not good? I'm holding off just declaring every new character outside of Dougie/Booper a waste of time because we have two more hours to go, but so far out seems the deaths of the two kids by "mother" or whatever didn't matter, Richard didn't matter, the lawyer guy and Shaggy's wife didn't matter, if Steve killed Becky and himself then they didn't matter, as silly as Ike the Spike was he didn't matter, the girl he killed didn't matter.

It's just a lot of seemingly filler and I'm not automatically awestruck by everything Lynch does to pretend that it isn't. Next week could prove me 100% wrong, of course, but I don't think it will.
I actually completely forgot about that whole thing with Hastings's wife and lawyer. If that doesn't come into play next week, that was especially useless. There are reasons for the other things you listed, however superfluous they may be, but the wife/lawyer stuff didn't do anything for anybody.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 28, 2017

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Episode is volcanic fire. The keystone kops jamboree at the Jones residence was one of the most entertaining unpredictable things I've ever seen in any drama. Shoutouts to the territorial, driveway-defending Eastern European accountant who packs a Glock18 with an illegal extended magazine for all the laughs

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

In the original series, there were so many appearances there by Lodge spirits that it makes sense. Obviously, I never would have thought to connect it to Audrey in this season. Also, I noticed a while back that in the musical scenes this season the crowd is always the same. Same people, same clothes. I originally noticed that one hipster dude with the glasses in all of them. It's another place in the show that seems to exist totally out of time with the rest of the narrative flow. It was really creepy as hell when the crowd all shifted to make space for Audrey. Can't wait for next week.
This is a really good parallel to draw, especially since it now sincerely feels like a purgatory limbo that Audrey is caught in along with all those random unexplained blabbermouths!

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Did anyone find Tammy's "wow, a tulpa!" really awkward and bad timing? Come on Tammy, the poor lady just revealed being raped, then was emotionally and corporeally ripped apart.

If there was suppose to be an emotional residue in that scene from Diane's ability to regain her memory and speak out about her trauma, it got ruined by 1. terrible CGI, 2. the tulpa reveal.

I did love that her last words were "I know. gently caress you" lol. Best pay-off all season.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I think I might rewatch Mulholland Drive in advance of next week. There seems to be some interesting crossover there with the setup at play for the finale...A show where everything that's happening is at least to some degree taking place within the dream of one girl. Also, originally planned as an Audrey Horne spin-off.

Honestly, more than anything I hope that there's a good final resolution to the story next week and it doesn't end on another cliffhanger. If the story can/does go on from here, I could definitely get on-board with a spin-off series, but I hope this is the last (red) curtain for this story arc at least, even if everything isn't wrapped up perfectly neatly.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I thought it was funnier how Gordon reacted. He was totally nonplussed

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gordo's seen too much poo poo. Nothing bothers him now

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

pissdude posted:

I thought it was funnier how Gordon reacted. He was totally nonplussed

I dunno, I think he knew something was up but couldn't do anything covertly. His eyes were all over the place on Diane, I read it as him being like "poo poo, this is going to be bad...crap, my gun is in the bag across the room."

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun
Am I to understand that part 17 and 18 will be shown next Sunday?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's right!

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

Can someone post a screencap of Audrey in that institution (or whatever) from the end?

I'm already heartbroken thinking about not having anymore episodes after next week.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Escobarbarian posted:

That's right!

It'll make the finale feel like a movie.:)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I was really relieved when Albert got his gun ready while Diane was still talking.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Section 9 posted:

I dunno, I think he knew something was up but couldn't do anything covertly. His eyes were all over the place on Diane, I read it as him being like "poo poo, this is going to be bad...crap, my gun is in the bag across the room."

-Did she even knock? Camera pointed at the door?
-Didn't they talk about the gun she had in her purse her a few episodes ago?
--They were all waiting for her to draw a gun from her purse each time she reached for it
-She wasn't in on the Blue Rose Club talk with Tammy, she was invited after
-They had been monitoring her phone texts the whole time

The bigger shock seems for them seems to not have been that she was a double-agent, but that she wasn't human.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Andrigaar posted:

--They were all waiting for her to draw a gun from her purse each time she reached for it

Yeah, I kind of took Gordon looking over to Albert as him expecting Diane to pull a gun on them. Good thing Albert is a stone cold badass.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Andrigaar posted:

-Did she even knock? Camera pointed at the door?
-Didn't they talk about the gun she had in her purse her a few episodes ago?
-She wasn't in on the Blue Rose Club talk with Tammy, she was invited after
-They had been monitoring her phone texts the whole time

The bigger shock seems for them seems to not have been that she was a double-agent, but that she wasn't human.

Yeah, Gordon invited Diane in before she even knocked. I think they were maybe expecting something, but weren't expecting the confession. I think the memories of Diane that still lived in the construct were fighting against the programming to tell them everything. I was just so relieved at the end because I serious figured that she would try to shoot Gordon and Albert would jump in front of him to take the bullet.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I think I would have been pretty sad if Gordon ate it. Expected more for Albert to. Tammy I knew was safe since the lead-in Twin Peaks book is supposed to be compiled after The Returns events.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Because they aren't getting the screen time and it's frequently not good? I'm holding off just declaring every new character outside of Dougie/Booper a waste of time because we have two more hours to go, but so far out seems the deaths of the two kids by "mother" or whatever didn't matter, Richard didn't matter, the lawyer guy and Shaggy's wife didn't matter, if Steve killed Becky and himself then they didn't matter, as silly as Ike the Spike was he didn't matter, the girl he killed didn't matter.

It's just a lot of seemingly filler and I'm not automatically awestruck by everything Lynch does to pretend that it isn't. Next week could prove me 100% wrong, of course, but I don't think it will.

Sometimes characters are merely manufactured to serve a purpose.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

I was really relieved when Albert got his gun ready while Diane was still talking.

Yeah I was a little worried there for a moment

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

When diane drew the gun it was like in XCOM when all your guys' overwatch goes off at the same time

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wax Lion posted:

Can someone post a screencap of Audrey in that institution (or whatever) from the end?

I'm already heartbroken thinking about not having anymore episodes after next week.
I will when I get home :)

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Shed a tear for Jerry's poor, bad, bad, bad binoculars.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think we need at least one thread subtitle change before the series is over. Maybe ": - ) ALL"?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Wax Lion posted:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

You and me both sister

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
What an episode.

I was getting teary-eyed when Cooper said goodbye to Janey-E and Sonny Jim. But it's so good having Cooper back.

I cannot wait for next week and will be a wreck when it's all done. I've loved this season.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The little trivia sidebar thing said Lara Flynn Boyle was offered a returning role as Donna and turned it down.

I've never heard that mentioned anywhere else, I thought it was basically just accepted that she didn't get offered a role because of all the plastic surgery. Wonder what direction they would have went if she'd accepted, that seems like it would require some drastic script changes.

edit: Also the Jerry binoculars scene was incredible. He is the highest man that has ever lived, he's been tripping for like two weeks straight.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 28, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The little trivia sidebar thing said Lara Flynn Boyle was offered a returning role as Donna and turned it down.

I've never heard that mentioned anywhere else, I thought it was basically just accepted that she didn't get offered a role because of all the plastic surgery. Wonder what direction they would have went if she'd accepted, that seems like it would require some drastic script changes.

She would have delivered the "James was always cool line" instead of Shelley

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Berke Negri posted:

live by the sword die by the sword they got shot up unceremoniously like they shot down people unceremoniously rest in piss etc
:black101: THEIR LIFESTYLE DETERMINED THEIR DEATH STYLE :black101:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I thought she didn't come back because of the difficulties involved on set with her in the old seasons.

Your post made me look up what she looks like now and yeah.:smith:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I loved the crowd swaying back and forth in eerie unison. Audrey's dance reminded me of the scene in 8 1/2 where the "old" woman gets one last dance before she goes upstairs to live out the rest of her days, except not as pathetic. This and the screaming girl are two highlights for me, just pure, unidentifiable emotion.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I thought she didn't come back because of the difficulties involved on set with her in the old seasons.

Your post made me look up what she looks like now and yeah.:smith:

Book says Audrey was saved when Donna walked into the bank vault at the last minute and her face took the brunt of the explosion.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Man, when that music swelled, and Cooper was back... Beautiful.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I loved the crowd swaying back and forth in eerie unison. Audrey's dance reminded me of the scene in 8 1/2 where the "old" woman gets one last dance before she goes upstairs to live out the rest of her days, except not as pathetic..

kind of got this too, there's more than a few scenes this season that felt felliniesque

Other note, anyone else think the accountant wasn't just road rage but a double agent assassin to close up more loose ends? That's how it came off to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I could see them having Donna come back, and her interactions with Laura's stuff drove her to a wild life where she ended up having too much bad plastic surgery done and then tried to come back and reintegrate with Twin Peaks after her career died.

But I don't think LFB would be too into that.