Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Covok posted:

Wait, were people trying to play off the storm as fake news? I know that happened with the last storm that hit Florida but were people really try to do this with a full on huricane? Are people so broke brain that they can't accept weather reports?

The newest line is that (((someone))) used weather radar to create the storm in order to validate global warming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

safely sodomized posted:

yeah my moms a fight attendant for sw based out of houston and is stuck in california for the foreseeable future. flew out on one of the last flights

Based on the forecast and the immense flooding... gonna be at least September, I would say.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Petr posted:

The newest line is that (((someone))) used weather radar to create the storm in order to validate global warming.

Was it Jesus?

edit: sorry, I meant (((Jesus)))

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

https://www.facebook.com/ray.trey.currid/videos/1819719828043356/

Friend posted this video. Lots of the buildings downtown are losing power.

I just walked outside and looked and I didn't seen any dark buildings from my viewpoint (Exxonmobil, Bank of america, Shell)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

safely sodomized posted:

the entire city is a low lying area. 72 hours is absolutely not enough time to evacuate the fourth largest city in america.

people who dont know poo poo about houston really need to stop with this poo poo

If 72 hours isn't enough time to do it under good conditions why the gently caress is doing it in 8 hours at night while the city is 10 feet underwater better?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I'd assumed it was Cobra Commander.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

it's almost like there are areas that sit lower than other

yeah thats "all of houston except the northwest"

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

axeil posted:

like this situation right now with the controlled release of water from the reservoirs is why you want to do evacs. poo poo can go sideways during a natural disaster and the less people around the easier it is to control stuff. if you wait until things are dire the evac is going to be difficult. look at the situation now with the controlled release. it's going to be much more difficult to get those folks out due to the flooding than it would've been last Wednesday or Thursday.

i really feel for the folks who are having to make the call on this release, it cannot be easy doing this knowing the risk it poses.

so the solution is "welp, this is too hard to figure out, sorry" and watching people drown? that's unacceptable.

Thats how we do it here yes. Get over it.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

I just walked outside and looked and I didn't seen any dark buildings from my viewpoint (Exxonmobil, Bank of america, Shell)

Weird. Are you in a residential building?

Good Tuesday
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone can be racist, even me.

:heritage:
Don't argue with me about gun control or I'll call you out on your racial heritage!

Ratspeaker posted:

It's happening. Round 2 is coming

that weatherman looks so done. "please harvey stop holding us hostage"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DogonCrook posted:

By gawd I'll show them how we do things down here in Texas!

*drowns in attic*

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
I petition to re name the Astrodome the Aquadome.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

safely sodomized posted:

yeah thats "all of houston except the northwest"

presumably there is a plan somewhere that has an evacuation strategy more effective than rita's "lol idk do whatever" plan. rita was 12 years ago. using it as an excuse now is pathetic.

if they don't have any sort of plan that's even worse and is loving negligent. what if there's a nuclear attack? or an oil refinery explodes and lights half the city on fire? you need to have procedures for this stuff and if 4 feet of water isn't enough to activate it either:

a) there is no plan
b) the plan is so poo poo there may as well not be one
c) leadership is poo poo/incompetent/cowards/whatever

heads are going to roll over this, i guarantee it.

DogonCrook posted:

perhaps the lesson from this should be "by gosh, maybe we actually need competent government to help in disasters" instead of "welp that's how it's done, literally nothing can ever change" *drowns in an attic*

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 28, 2017

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cael posted:

Anyone who is unironically saying "Turner should have called for evacuation" should read this whole thing. It might not change your mind but it makes a lot of good points.

https://twitter.com/CorbettMatt/status/901959336850804737

Sylvester Turner is a little too fascinated with custom alligator shoes, diamond cuff-links and boondoggle social programs/projects to be concerned about things like natural disasters. I don't need to read what I know already. The guy's a piece of poo poo and has no business being mayor.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I know I sure turn to the hallowed halls of GBS when I want civil emergency planning advice.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

axeil posted:

presumably there is a plan somewhere that has an evacuation strategy more effective than rita's "lol idk do whatever" plan. rita was 12 years ago. using it as an excuse now is pathetic.

if they don't have any sort of plan that's even worse and is loving negligent. what if there's a nuclear attack? or an oil refinery explodes and lights half the city on fire? you need to have procedures for this stuff and if 4 feet of water isn't enough to activate it either:

a) there is no plan

perhaps the lesson from this should be "by gosh, maybe we actually need competent government to help in disasters" instead of "welp that's how it's done, literally nothing can ever change" *drowns in an attic*

Houston has no plans period. There's no zoning for example. This is what the people that live there want.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I am going to bed. Packed up my bags and got the first floor cleared. Leaving tomorrow morning for God knows where. Good luck to my fellow Houston goons.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Sugar Land evacuation info: https://nextdoor.com/agency-post/tx/sugar-land/city-of-sugar-land/evacuation-information-from-fort-bend-county-61824673/

Stay safe, Houston Goons.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

turn off the TV posted:

Pro tip: when predicting which areas of a city will flood when receiving 50 inches of rain over the course of a week, a general rule of thumb is "all of it."

The amount of rain is supposed to double before the storm has ended and more water is going to be flowing to the coast. I think things are going to get progressively worse for the next few days.

I live in Houston. A lot of the city can (and has) successfully taken 20+ inches of rain in the past day because it was spaced out over 24 hours. Other parts of town flood when they get 3 inches of rain in 1 hour. For the most part, Houston has a great ability to drain water over extended periods of time, but the bayous are unable to keep up with high rates of rain.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

axeil posted:

a) there is no plan

You loving die. The gently caress do you mean what if there is a nuclear attack lol. Jesus christ.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder if there's anyone who lived through Katrina in New Orleans and then moved to Houston. Like that one Japanese guy who was present for both atomic bombs.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Houston has no plans period. There's no zoning for example. This is what the people that live there want.

then why even bother having a government. just admit it's mad max anarchy and go hog wild.

this is so loving frustrating and sad.

DogonCrook posted:

You loving die. The gently caress do you mean what if there is a nuclear attack lol. Jesus christ.

a single nuclear weapon would not destroy any american city to the point where 100% of everyone died. i'm talking nuclear terrorism not world war 3. if world war 3 breaks out who gives a poo poo.

and the reason i cite it is because the "get the gently caress out" plan for a wildfire, nuclear bomb/nuclear plant meltdown, flood, etc. are generally going to use some of the same building blocks. but apparently houston literally has no government so who the gently caress knows.

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 28, 2017

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

RatHat posted:

I wonder if there's anyone who lived through Katrina in New Orleans and then moved to Houston. Like that one Japanese guy who was present for both atomic bombs.

Dude, a shitload of katrina refugees moved to Houston. Most good ol boys says its why Houston is going through a crime renaissance

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

RatHat posted:

Houston was the main city Katrina survivors went if they moved.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

I am going to bed. Packed up my bags and got the first floor cleared. Leaving tomorrow morning for God knows where. Good luck to my fellow Houston goons.

stay safe

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

MrMidnight posted:

Goonspeed, friend.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

R-Type posted:

Sylvester Turner is a little too fascinated with custom alligator shoes, diamond cuff-links and boondoggle social programs/projects to be concerned about things like natural disasters. I don't need to read what I know already. The guy's a piece of poo poo and has no business being mayor.

the republican suburban dad has logged on

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

safely sodomized posted:

the republican suburban dad has logged on

Lmao

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
My family slept downstairs last night because of the tornado warning, and we're doing the same tonight to watch for flooding on our back patio

of all the loving times for me to come home on leave

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

My folks are starting to get water in their garage about 30 miles north of Houston. That area is getting wrecked right now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
how's the_donald taking all this?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Good luck goons. Every place I've lived in the last 10 years had very minor flooding, which was an annoyance that displaced me for weeks. I can't imagine anything like this.

Water will gently caress up your life.

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 28, 2017

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lote posted:

Houston was the main city Katrina survivors went if they moved.

the stupidity of people knows no loving bounds. holy poo poo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Discendo Vox posted:

he said "thanks"

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Rip my jetski in conroe i guess the dam couldnt keep up.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Taffer posted:

the stupidity of people knows no loving bounds. holy poo poo.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/gray-matters/article/No-Katrina-evacuees-didn-t-cause-a-Houston-crime-6464524.php

quote:

In February 2006, about 66 percent of Houston-area residents agreed "a major increase in violent crime has occurred in Houston because of the evacuees," according to Kinder Houston Area Survey results.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Discendo Vox posted:

"BLM encouraging looting of white neighborhoods."
"Texans with guns preventing looting."
"So-called 'white supremacists' actually helping blacks evacuate."
"Houston has Democrat Mayor. This disaster is on him."
"Climate Change isn't real."

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't know how to link twitter but the zoo is apparently fine.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

curried lamb of God posted:

My family slept downstairs last night because of the tornado warning, and we're doing the same tonight to watch for flooding on our back patio

of all the loving times for me to come home on leave

probably good you did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
There's got to be a German word for the aquarium flooding but the zoo being fine

• Locked thread