Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iFriend
Sep 11, 2001

Having a bad day?

OhFunny posted:

Anything considered a most buy from the Crown Store like the Rocket Pack is over in SWTOR?

Banker Assistant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

If even that. There are quite a few goon homes that are stocked to the gills with crafting and banking stations - I'd personally save my crowns and just poof there for my one-stop banking and crafting.

The thing that's most "must-have" to me isn't available with crowns but with a sub - the crafting bag. It saves so much inventory and bank space and lets you gather every single mat you find.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

iFriend posted:

ESO is the first AAA MMO optimized for consoles
Incorrect, ask Dori about the instability on consoles.

iFriend posted:

Banker Assistant

Nah, nothing in the CS is a must buy. If anything, ESO+ is a must if you plan on getting into crafting and item testing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I'd recommend ESO+ if you don't have it, then for convenience the merchant and banker, the fence takes too large of a cut to be worth it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Banker is a big QoL boost if you're like me with alts, it saves a lot of time swapping gear/dropping off items in the field instead of running back to an actual banker. Merchant is really secondary to that but good to extend time between having to return to town by being able to vendor trash to put off your bags filling up, also good when you're chaining dungeon runs because the whole group can use it and dramatically reduces downtime between each by not having everyone run back to town. Both are not cheap in IRL money at all and wouldn't seriously recommend to consider until you've put a lot of time into the game.

Like others said best money spent is probably ESO+, you get all the DLC while you have it, 1500 crowns/mo (equivalent to the money you're spending on the sub basically) unlimited crafting bag, dye costumes, double bank space, double housing space.

Adventurers pack used to be must have but now only if you really want to get into doing Cyrodiil pvp with goons as a race other than Dunmer/Nord/Argonians, all pve and battleground pvp is faction neutral. Imperial upgrade is another pick if you really want to play as an Imperial.

Other then that anything "worth" buying in the store is cosmetic so that's gonna be up to you what you feel is worth your money. Probably one of the better picks is the hair pack for 1000 crowns that unlocks all the base game hairstyles for all races that you can change on your character whenever you want. There's also a cheap (1500 crowns I think?) Personality pack that's three different ones. Personalities modify your idle animations and are helpful for giving your character a bit more individuality. There's also two you can unlock for free if you have access to DLC, and a really cool one that you get from a questline in Morrowind.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Wait buying the hair pack lets you change characters' hair at will? That sounds... really handy, actually. Sometimes you wanna change that stuff up! My Dunmer nightblade has a mohawk that was cool when I was a Young Lad but I'd really like to change his look up now that he's kinda making it in the world.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Yup! You can't change your character's hair color but you use the collections tab to swap hair styles like you would with unlocked costumes. If you turn it off it goes back to your hair style you picked in character creation. There's also similar cheap bundles for adornments (jewelry/accessories/facial hair) and tattoos. These are all account unlocks so any characters you have or make in the future will have access to them.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Finally cracked since I've been wanting an MMO, this was on sale, and found out someone I know actually plays this. Are the guides linked in the OP still relevant?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Thanks for the info on the Crown Store and ESO+ everyone. I'm not going to buy anything or sub until I've put some more time in and see if I'm going to be playing a lot.

Edit: Downloaded the Skyshards addon though to find them easier.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 26, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Hey, can I get an invite to Chill Bros?
@SA_Pakled
Character: Pakled

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Fought and won my first duel today! A guy was standing at Davon's Watch offering free motifs for duels. He was CP660, I'm like CP181 or so. I think he was a stamplar, 2H and some glow. He was... a hell of a lot better than me, in terms of skill (he was strafing so fast it was hard to aim at him) and obviously in terms of character. Still my build (more or less Alcast's bow/bow warden) was extremely annoying - he had to split focus on me and my bear. He murdered my bear three times during the fight but I always managed to throw down AOEs, bear-traps, and self-heals to delay him and keep me alive long enough to get it back up; eventually he went down. Dueling is fun, guys!

I'm probably gonna splurge on crowns over the weekend while they're on sale. I really want that Coldharbour house someone data-mined, and the internet consensous seems to be it'll be out at the end of the month when HoR comes out on consoles. No real idea what it looks like - the picture is just an open Coldharbour-y field with those weird stalagmites, but the way I see it you can't call yourself a planeswalker if you don't live in another dimension. Miiiight get the banker and/or the merchant too, although there's often enough time to pop back to town between dungeons or solo content, and a lot of goons are good about throwing out their assistants at the end of a dungeon for people to use (as always, thanks goons!) Might also save some for more costumes (shut up, barbie dress up is the best part of any game) or pets. How often do crown sales like this happen? They probably don't dip below this discount, right?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Having beat a few long-campaign games, I decided to buy an MMO and do all it's bear-rear end fetch quests! :homebrew:

I'm mainly in it for menial tasks, numbers going up, loot more loot and nothing but the loot. Solo PvE, essentially.

1) Is there any point/immediate point to joining a guild if I'm in it for the solo PvE?
2) What are the best DLCs, if any, to get for such things? Would they get me any immediate benefits right away, or should I wait until I put more time into the game to consider getting other DLCs?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love how for the housing tutorial quest (which I finally completed), if you just go buy furnishings for What Won't Be A Skooma Den from the vendor the first item you can buy for your new home is a rock. For one hundred bucks. If you scroll down past the moldy logs you can buy a chair. :v:

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

The reason to join the goon guild while doing solo PVE is that you know the idiots and assholes who pop up in your chat screen will at least be idiots and assholes who can type in sentences. I also found them super helpful in answering questions I had about game systems and pointing me to good content. They also tend to be super nice and willing to be handhold-y for group content, I've been dipping my toes into endgame stuff like daily dungeons (pledges) and raids (trials) and the veteran goons always seemed happy to bring me up to speed.

The solo-PVE DLCs are: Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Orsinum, Morrowind. I might be forgetting something? They're all worth playing. Orsinum is, IMO, the best story in the game and a great zone too. TG and DB are both great if you plan on playing a sneak-thief like I tend to do in every Bethesda game ever. Morrowind is loving gigantic, and I only started playing ESO because I wanted to go back to Vvardenfell, but the main plot didn't quite do it for me - I found it weirdly paced. Still some really good moments in it, and there are a bunch of solid-to-really-good quest lines scattered around Vvardenfell.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Morter posted:

Having beat a few long-campaign games, I decided to buy an MMO and do all it's bear-rear end fetch quests! :homebrew:

I'm mainly in it for menial tasks, numbers going up, loot more loot and nothing but the loot. Solo PvE, essentially.

1) Is there any point/immediate point to joining a guild if I'm in it for the solo PvE?
2) What are the best DLCs, if any, to get for such things?

1) Don't sell yourself as only solo until you can see how fun group PVE can be (as early as level 10!) I've seen a lot of people wait until like the mid 30s to 40s before even trying it. It's great fun, EXP, skill points, and is a good way to get a feel for how your character is working out compared to others. While you're at it you can try PVP at level 10. Just grab some free siege engines from the goon bank and spam zone for a big group to follow and get a feel for it.

Also you can join up to 5 guilds so you're just hampering your ease of play by not joining at least two. Guilds let you teleport to any member anywhere for free, find partners for anything from overland bosses to dungeons, and find buyers for all the weird poo poo you'll pick up in your travels. I roll with goon guild, a trade guild, a PVE guild, and sometimes a PVP one.

2) get the four dlc pack if they still offer it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Seriously, when I started playing ESO I was adamant about only playing solo/with my irl friends because internet people are garbage, and I guess I'll join the goon guild just for help with crafting—but we have a really nice and helpful guild composed of not-horrible people, and I have a lot of fun doing group content with them and hang out in the Discord channel now.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Well I'm not against joining a guild--I'm already in chill bros--but I tend to just randomly hop on games...low attention span and low ambition. I hop on for the catharsis of getting some stuff done and raising levels, then I hop off. I'm not the kind that grabs a random friend/goon and plays for like 2 hours straight...but hey I'm all for quick groups/parties for a quest or few.

Are there any other casual goon (or goon-approved) guilds to join?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

iFriend posted:

since ESO is the first AAA MMO optimized for consoles

Final Fantasy 14: ARR beat it by a year.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

People aren't really necessary to enjoy ESO, it can function perfectly well as a massively-sized single player TES game with a chat window. But goon groups are usually pretty fun, with great rewards, and we almost only 10% of the time fail at trying to do the actual hard stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have Summon Clannfear and Summon Winged Twilight on the same skillbar. Why does the twilight despawn when I use Overload but not the Clannfear? With how I'm playing that makes it useless.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Because you have Clannfear on your Overload bar (it's a separate third skillbar), but not Winged Twilight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rollersnake posted:

Because you have Clannfear on your Overload bar (it's a separate third skillbar), but not Winged Twilight.

Oh I see. That's annoying! Thanks, that fixed it. I only have 3 spells on my main activity bar now. :/

I may just remove the points from Soul Trap and consolidate a bit.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 27, 2017

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.

corn in the bible posted:

the other five people are VERY NICE

I just returned to the ps4 after quitting shortly after the one tamriel update. Its a ghosttown. I also completely forgot how to play, so it makes it very easy to move on.

Picked it up on steam for $10 and DL'ing now.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How do I avoid having to redownload everything with the steam download??

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Would love an invite to Chill Bros!
@explosivo98
Character: Explosivorn

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

OhFunny posted:

Anything considered a most buy from the Crown Store like the Rocket Pack is over in SWTOR?

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Vvardvark

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Is there to anything to lower load times beyond buying a fresh SSD?

Because holy poo poo. 20 minutes just for character select :catstare:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I have an m.2 drive and it still takes a while, there's a lot of server side poo poo going on, but if you're genuinely clocking 20m get an SSD - they're much cheaper now than they used to be.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

After installing patches loading the game will take a bit longer, but 20 minutes is excessive, you shouldn't be breaking like 3-5 minutes unless you're playing from a P-p-p-p-powerbook and tin can on a string internet.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
took nearly all day to install and patch, jesus christ

please invite
@farttknocker (thats two Ts)
character name is Eats own feces

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Famethrowa posted:

Is this consistent? Because that sounds like server lag. It happens to me once every two weeks or so where loading soft-locks the game. You're better off killing the game process and relaunching it.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Famethrowa posted:

Are you playing on a laptop or equivalent? Try closing your browser - I play on a laptop and noticed that leaving even one browser window open will cause the game to take forever to load to the character selection screen, instead of the normal 1-2 minutes.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

All this guild chat is making me think maybe I've missed out after 2.5 months and CP140. Can someone send an invite to @Nhand85, please? Hopefully some goons can show me a veteran dungeons or two when I hit CP160 in a couple days.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh I see. That's annoying! Thanks, that fixed it. I only have 3 spells on my main activity bar now. :/

I may just remove the points from Soul Trap and consolidate a bit.
Yeah, pet sorc works like that. Both pets function as toggles, meaning they need to be slotted on both bars (or all 3 in the case of Overload) in order to remain up at all times. And yes, you'll have fewer other active spells, but that's the tradeoff, especially once the pets get to morph and become active skills of their own. If you took the Volatile morph (little Scamp) he becomes a big part of your damage output.

Also, and I'm not judging you, just letting you know, that long-term Soul Trap is useless. Focus on your Storm Calling and Daedric Summoning skills along with destro staff. Pair your critters with Wall of Elements and Liquid Lightning and heavy attacks and boom, death and despair for all who dare cross Sparky and Flappy's paths.

The Bramble posted:

All this guild chat is making me think maybe I've missed out after 2.5 months and CP140. Can someone send an invite to @Nhand85, please? Hopefully some goons can show me a veteran dungeons or two when I hit CP160 in a couple days.
If someone hasn't gotten you yet it'll happen shortly. Also there are plenty of us who would be more than willing to drag you on all sorts of adventures. Hit up hberke, myself (thefloobyest) and adeptusminor for all your dungeon and (normal) trial needs. We do stuff whenever the hell and that's pretty regular TBH. The goon guild is very active and there will almost always be someone doing something at any given time of the day.

Famethrowa posted:

Also this is very ungood and indeed bad. Sounds like a serverside problem or the client poo poo itself. Just restart. You should be looking at 30 seconds to character load, not 20 mins, even on a hella mediocre system. Gratz, though! You got a true Elder Scrolls Experience lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks for the advice! I was already using soul trap less and less, I think I'll go ahead and take it out and respec a few other skills I don't bother with now that I've figured out how I want to play. The pets are indeed really strong for what I'm doing, so I figure I'll go the distance and focus around them.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

That's likely some wonky poo poo with the server connection, happens to me frequently with no disk access going at all. If you wait more than say 30 seconds with nothing happening close the game and relaunch, it's faster. Because yeah, if you actually pay attention, it's not doing jack gently caress all with your HDD.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm weak and I bought the Guilds & Glory bundle hours before the crown sale ended :shepspends:

My logic is that I'd rather have permanence on DLC that I don't know how long I'll get to, but any time down the line I can sub if I know I'll want play that much in a month, rather than rent and lose the DLC.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

To be honest everyone playing this game has put more hard cash down than whatever you just paid on sale so I really wouldn't worry about it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

To be honest everyone playing this game has put more hard cash down than whatever you just paid on sale so I really wouldn't worry about it.

Ask me about casually dropping a hundo on Crowns before the sale ended yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Ask me about casually dropping a hundo on Crowns before the sale ended yesterday.

This belongs in E/N. :frogout: