Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ehhhhh, I kind of have a problem with this gif. That's a scene from The Purge 3, and the whole point of that movie is that the rich AREN'T being killed. It's heavily implied that the person being beheaded here is, like most victims of the Purge, very poor and most likely being murdered for fun by people wealthier than he his (since the purge movies are all about how much capitalism/neo-liberalism sucks). The context of what's happening is a complete reversal of the caption.
:goonsay:

On a sidenote, given the political nature of the Purge movies I predict that within my lifetime there will be a Purge 4 movie based around the 2016 election with the tagline "make the Purge great again".

Edit for Dog Tax:
Please enjoy this video of puppies learning how to howl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGAy4KObjNE

The third Purge film was called The Purge: Election Year, and was about the wealthy lunatics who want to keep the Purge going using gangs of thugs and the religious right to attempt to murder a female politician who spoke out about ending the Purge. The tagline of the film was literally "Keep America Great". Your wish already happened.

Dog Tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Calling it a second time, your Friday firing/resignation for Sept 1.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

The third Purge film was called The Purge: Election Year, and was about the wealthy lunatics who want to keep the Purge going using gangs of thugs and the religious right to attempt to murder a female politician who spoke out about ending the Purge. The tagline of the film was literally "Keep America Great". Your wish already happened.

Don't forget that there were actually rules against killing "certain classes of people" during The Purge as well.

I think we'll get "The Running Man" *long* before we get "The Purge." Trump likely still has his agent - just like the President in The Running Man.

Also, the State Department is in loving *shambles*. That building houses some of the nation's best and brightest, and they're literally sitting around with their thumbs up their asses, not being utilized. The *best case scenario* is that they all go work for the private sector, where the federal government will pay 3-5x their current GS salaries for them to do the same jobs.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

God Twitter is awful. Even when a single person has a single thing to say Twitter is poorly formatted. Conversations are barely legible.

That was the original reason I never got into the platform.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sorry if I've overlooked it in Literal Price Gouging Is Good, Actually chat, but have we talked about the fact the Army Corps of Engineers has decided to deliberately allow a lot of water out of the Addicks and Baker Reservoirs?

They apparently judge the danger of the dams failing high enough to justify allowing enough water out to rise by 4 to 6 feet per hour, starting 2am Monday. And it won't even be enough to actually outpace what's flowing in, just hopefully enough to preserve the dams's integrities.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/houston-monday-harvey-update-dams_us_59a36d59e4b06d67e3389e47?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

I'd hoped the talk of either of these dams failing was hyperbole, but if they're willing to take a step like this, maybe not :(

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/901432632394776576
https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/901432632394776576

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 28, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Lightning Lord posted:

Am I reading this right and there's a dude in here arguing that a small amount of people having water and overcharging for it is better than many people having water but stores being out of stock because a bunch of people bought it?

The problem is that the safeguards that people are counting on don't really exist. Emergency responders really only ration the poo poo that they give out for free anyway and very few people are prosecuted under anti-gouging laws. Pricing things according to their scarcity mean they might be around when they are really needed.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pricing things according to their scarcity means a rich person gets to pour bottled water down their back and brush their teeth while people potentially die of heatstroke.

Take the "Diamonds and Water in the desert" hypothetical back to ECON 101.

Kale
May 14, 2010

This guys so much more inspiring than Trump it's ridiculous. He's also probably toast soon too if Trump thinks he's outshining him with da troops.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kale posted:

This guys so much more inspiring than Trump it's ridiculous. He's also probably toast soon too if Trump thinks he's outshining him with da troops.

mattis is a piece of poo poo and a war criminal. He may be better than trump but that does not mean he's good. Don't give him praise he doesn't deserve.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/james-mattis-war-criminal-i-experienced-his-attack-fallujah-firsthand

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

Kale posted:

A lot was made of the "Hold the line" bit but to me the real damning quote was that "we'll get the power of inspiration back"...cold blooded.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dmitri-9 posted:

The problem is that the safeguards that people are counting on don't really exist. Emergency responders really only ration the poo poo that they give out for free anyway and very few people are prosecuted under anti-gouging laws. Pricing things according to their scarcity mean they might be around when they are really needed.

Nah, as the entire history of the species has shown it really doesn't. It just gives sociopaths something else to play power games over. The correct response to price gouging is to kill the people that try it and blame it on the disaster. The correct response to scarcity in a crisis is robust social services that move in resources from outside the effected area. The end, nice and simple.

Taffer posted:

mattis is a piece of poo poo and a war criminal. He may be better than trump but that does not mean he's good. Don't give him praise he doesn't deserve.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/james-mattis-war-criminal-i-experienced-his-attack-fallujah-firsthand

By and large nobody loving cares about war crimes. Like the War in Iraq can be agreed to be a mistake in the minds of the majority of Americans, but the majority by no means actually gives that much of a poo poo that we bombed children or whatever. We just wasted a lot of time and money and didn't get much done is all. War crimes are rated less seriously than white collar crime, and you see how much we care about that.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

drat that speech to them made me almost cry, he sounded so disappointed about all the divisiveness in the country and from my interpretation how service members are being pulled into it by the president's ban on transgendered people serving.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Taffer posted:

Can I at least qualify that with "in terms of recent speeches given"? There's a lot of stuff in there that Trump just never talks about and never considers but every other president and American politician I've ever recalled has at length that are supposed to be fundamental to American values. You know poo poo that most people might actually connect with, not even just military.

Kale fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 28, 2017

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Dmitri-9 posted:

The problem is that the safeguards that people are counting on don't really exist. Emergency responders really only ration the poo poo that they give out for free anyway and very few people are prosecuted under anti-gouging laws. Pricing things according to their scarcity mean they might be around when they are really needed by rich people.

ftfy

scarcity is scarcity is scarcity and all gouging does is pricing poor people out of essential products.

it literally preserves supply, assuming the gougers aren't met with mob justice, for the richest people when they absolutely need it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

logger posted:

drat that speech to them made me almost cry, he sounded so disappointed about all the divisiveness in the country and from my interpretation how service members are being pulled into it by the president's ban on transgendered people serving.
:laugh:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Dmitri-9 posted:

The laws exist, people follow them for the most part, and so price gouging prosecutions are rare. How is that possibly evidence that anti-price-gouging legislation doesn't work?

"Violent crime is down across the board, and we had only three murder convictions last year."

"Well, looks like the whole 'outlawing murder' fad has run its course. With so few prosecutions the law is useless."

Lightning Lord posted:

Am I reading this right and there's a dude in here arguing that a small amount of people having water and overcharging for it is better than many people having water but stores being out of stock because a bunch of people bought it?

No, he's arguing against the injustice of the common rabble getting the same treatment as their betters.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So this video is highly informative about what the situation in Houston is at present. Dude explains in excellent detail exactly what the release of the levee water means and why they are doing it (taking the least bad option in a no-win scenario). poo poo is uhhh, pretty dire :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTP9PElDowE

If you are near Buffalo Bayou get the gently caress out to higher ground as soon as you safely can.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
There was no gouging after the tohoku earthquake of basic supplies, which tells you that being an avaricious piece of poo poo in times of disaster is a cultural thing and not a bleep bloop normal behavior of human beings

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Peven Stan posted:

There was no gouging after the tohoku earthquake of basic supplies, which tells you that being an avaricious piece of poo poo in times of disaster is a cultural thing and not a bleep bloop normal behavior of human beings

:ssh: capitalism is bad and makes people make bad humanitarian choices

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pricing things according to their scarcity means a rich person gets to pour bottled water down their back and brush their teeth while people potentially die of heatstroke.

But a store owner can lower prices, they can't manufacture potable water out of thin air.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

Right now we are making the Nazis terrified and making them look weak and pathetic. But is it possible that the Nazis can use this to drive up recruitment? Use this is some kind of ploy to make us all look unpatriotic and violent?
yes. they can and will use it that way. however that doesn't mean that the tactics are wrong - it just means we need to keep some things in mind when mobilising.

the nazis are going to arm themselves. they've been armed since day one, but they're going to ramp it up because they're scared. this means that antifa and friends need to be prepared for that. black people, mexican people, muslim people, trans people, anyone at risk needs to understand that the nazis want to kill them and they have weapons. the automatic response to that is going to be for the other side to also arm themselves, i'm sure it's already happening, along with non-gun measures like body armour and mace.

safety measures need to be ramped up. even though they draw lots of attention holding up signs and the media love them - no more kids at rallies, for the love of g-d. every rally from here on in has the potential to become a shoot-out, the best case scenario is that none of them ever do, but the potential will always be there

most importantly, there needs to be a consensus on the left that the nazis must shoot first. for the first time in a very long time most of the non-crazy media is on the left wing's side here, and if the nazis gun someone down, it's going to get reported (even a black person or a muslim person or someone who would usually be ignored.) it was a loving miracle that the first peaceful protester killed at a rally was a pretty young white woman. in fact it was a blessing, because her death got picked up by absolutely everyone, even fox news, and now even the most lovely old florida boomer trumpist knows that there are nazis in america and they are killing people - pretty young white people who look like their daughters. heather heyer died the best death it is possible to die and we can't afford to waste that. however, fox news is still a pack of fuckwits with huge media domination and they would love for a black man to shoot a young unarmed white defending their freedom of speech, even accidentally and in genuine self-defense, and they would run it into the ground and "antifa are the real murderers" would once again become established fact for a big segment of the population. so. the nazis shoot first. the nazis must always be the aggressors, because if the public gets on their side, they're going to win.

this means that anybody going to a rally from now on has to do it knowing they might die and they can't defend themselves. it's a big ask. but anybody going to a rally from now on also has to know that the reason they might die is that our side is winning, and the other side are sore losers.

the old ceremony fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 28, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Speaking of Charlottesville,
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/902014966458404865

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Prester Jane posted:

So this video is highly informative about what the situation in Houston is at present. Dude explains in excellent detail exactly what the release of the levee water means and why they are doing it (taking the least bad option in a no-win scenario). poo poo is uhhh, pretty dire :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTP9PElDowE

If you are near Buffalo Bayou get the gently caress out to higher ground as soon as you safely can.

The only thing I'd add is that the water behind Barker and Addicks Dam is raising about 6 inches an hour right now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dmitri-9 posted:

But a store owner can lower prices, they can't manufacture potable water out of thin air.

They can't replace their lives when desperate and dying people decide to rush their storefront and take their chances that *they* won't get shot, either. It's in said water-haver's interest to ration out his own supply and build goodwill in the community, because he can claim shrinkage on the water after-the-fact and ain't no one gonna say a loving thing otherwise. Again, your ECON 101 viewpoint is really one-dimensional here.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

I know, but at the end of Purge three the Hillary Clinton stand in won and and the purge ended, while in real life Trump was elected and everything quickly got worse. I feel like everything that's happened in 2017 could provide enough material for a fourth movie where some insane narcissist is elected president and the purge is brought back. Purge 4: This time it's orange. Purange.

I also have ideas for a Purge movie set in the UK based on the events of brexit.

If anyone could put me in touch with a Hollywood agent willing to buy half-baked ideas for political satire/horror films thought up while drunk that would be great.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

LeeMajors posted:

:ssh: capitalism is bad and makes people make bad humanitarian choices
Japan is also capitalist, but Japanese aren't a fundamentally broken people.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I also have ideas for a Purge movie set in the UK based on the events of brexit.

I predict this movie would not end well for 'the Pakis,' Scots, Geordies, and the Irish.

Wait - wasn't "Doomsday" pretty much already The Purge: UK Edition?

Kilroy posted:

Japan is pretty racist and xenophobic...just not toward one another...mostly.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 28, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

At least two of those are Starfleet cheif engineers, they'll figure out a solution

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

farraday posted:

The only thing I'd add is that the water behind Barker and Addicks Dam is raising about 6 inches an hour right now.

Got a source on that, because if so :stonk:

I'm not an expert, but if this is accurate that is pretty impressive considering the size of those bodies of water. Also I strongly suspect that if the water is really raising at that rate all that opening the levees is going to accomplish is buying time before the levees are either topped or bust.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

The laws exist, people follow them for the most part, and so price gouging prosecutions are rare. How is that possibly evidence that anti-price-gouging legislation doesn't work?

"Violent crime is down across the board, and we had only three murder convictions last year."

"Well, looks like the whole 'outlawing murder' fad has run its course. With so few prosecutions the law is useless."

You can tell from all of the complaints that had no follow through. http://www.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article125232614.html

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I decided to do an experiment. I decide to block every Pro Trump Twitter user I saw this see how many there really were. The reality is is that there are so few and so many repeat that after only blocking like 10, 20 people, I never see Pro Trump comments in the comment section of any Trump tweet or any CNN tweet or any trending topic. From my perspective now, there is only anti Trump tweets because that's how few people actually seem to post Pro-Trump tweets.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You would want to open them anyway just so there's less of a pressure differential between sides, the busting will be less likely.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Kilroy posted:

They are also heavily regulated socially and governmentally, since they understand an entity whose only goal is profitability will never act ethically without restraint.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Kilroy posted:

Quoting this one for posterity, because ahahahahahahahaha :japan:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol an entire nation that is slowly not-loving itself to death isn't fundamentally broken

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kilroy posted:

Their population is heavily in decline because young people can't get home from work long enough to raise a family. It has lead to a large segment of the population, mostly young people, that has simply opted out either through self seclusion, called the hikikomori, or by suicide.

The Japanese have severe social problems because a good portion of their work ethic doesn't allow them to reproduce, much less be around and be families and do normal family stuff.

Kale
May 14, 2010

AmiYumi posted:

Quoting this one for posterity, because ahahahahahahahaha :japan:

Yeah Japan has their own problems from economic to social, they just don't have their highest elected official to go on twitter every day and constantly remind everybody of them and to verbally vomit all over the country. Every. Single. Day.

I sense another really dumb tangent by the way that drags on way the gently caress longer than it has any right to.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Prester Jane posted:

Got a source on that, because if so :stonk:

I'm not an expert, but if this is accurate that is pretty impressive considering the size of those bodies of water. Also I strongly suspect that if the water is really raising at that rate all that opening the levees is going to accomplish is buying time before the levees are either topped or bust.

The flood guages
Addicks
https://www.harriscountyfws.org/GageDetail/Index/2110?span=24%20Hours&v=surfaceBox
10:01 PM 100.02'
12:07 AM 100.96'

Barker
https://www.harriscountyfws.org/GageDetail/Index/2010?span=24%20Hours&v=surfaceBox
10:01 PM 94.68'
11:59 PM 95.65'

Even with the releases they're expecting the reservoirs to still fill up faster than they're releasing water, but they're hoping they can keep the dam structures safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Noctone posted:

lol an entire nation that is slowly not-loving itself to death isn't fundamentally broken

I'm really not sure how anyone could look at a society where enough group of people have said "This poo poo is too hosed up to bring a kid into" to make population growth negative and think things are going well.

• Locked thread