Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Tyree posted:

What spoilers do you guys have? The ones I thought were common knowledge said that beric dies at castle black along with edd. tormund dies in episode 2 at winterfell from friendly fire from drogon

maybe im remembering my spoilers wrong

if so thats dumb as hell, the last shot of them 2 was still on the wall when the whole section crashed, the NK and army going over to castle black just to kill the 20 dudes there is kinda dumb too

maybe the spoilers really are bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

bloom posted:

So what was the point of Euron burning the Unsullied's ships if they're just gonna show up in King's Landing anyway? I don't mean this as a "hurr teleportation" complaint, since presumably they just marched there and pillaged the countryside for supplies(but you know, in a good guy way). I just don't see what it added to the story when it obviously didn't inconvenience them in any way.

It really seems like they wrote this season episode by episode without considering the larger arc because they forgot or totally dropped seemingly important plot threads within the same season they were introduced. They're just in total whatever mode right now

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Constant posted:

if so thats dumb as hell, the last shot of them 2 was still on the wall when the whole section crashed, the NK and army going over to castle black just to kill the 20 dudes there is kinda dumb too

Nah, i think it makes perfect sense if you look at it from the producers stand point. Gotta get a shot of Castle Black falling, another bullet point down on their list.

I believe it is even the first scene of the next season, so it also makes for a good opening.

Tyree fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 28, 2017

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
WTF was the point of the Dothraki and Unsullied in this episode anyway? As far as I can tell they teleported to Highgarden (I think?) and did nothing other than trigger some banter between Bronn and Jaime, who then themselves teleported to King's Landing.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

WTF was the point of the Dothraki and Unsullied in this episode anyway? As far as I can tell they teleported to Highgarden (I think?) and did nothing other than trigger some banter between Bronn and Jaime, who then themselves teleported to King's Landing.

everyone was at king's landing in case something went wrong

e: except daenerys who pulled the 10 minutes late to meeting trump style power play

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Constant posted:

Tormund did the callback last episode to Ygritte's redheads are kissed by fire line when he was talking to Clegabe to set up Tormund dying to dragonfire next season. The spoilers are real, and good.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
"why were they in Highgarden?" is this episode's "did the gold make it through"

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

"why were they in Highgarden?" is this episode's "did the gold make it through"
why were they in highgarden?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ok on my 3rd rewatch i figured out how Tormund and Beric could've survived. When he comes out of the little watcher hut and yells to run he hangs a right and books it westward across the top of the wall.

Then it cuts to a bunch of redshirts running down the myriad stairs towards the Eastwatch castle. I dont think Tormund tried to get down at all and he and Beric can just travel across the top of the wall to Castle Black :black101:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Where was this posted? I made this stupid image yesterday and posted it to reddit so now I'm mega curious as to how it got 50k views on imgur in a day.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Next season will start with Tormund and Beric arriving safely and unharmed to Winterfell.

It wouldn't be the first time the show pulls a Bolivian Army Cliffhanger and next episode the character makes it out all right without even handwaving it.

Sam survived the Wights and NW back in S2 when the writing was still alive.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

lezard_valeth posted:

Next season will start with Tormund and Beric arriving safely and unharmed to Winterfell.

It wouldn't be the first time the show pulls a Bolivian Army Cliffhanger and next episode the character makes it out all right without even handwaving it.

Sam survived the Wights and NW back in S2 when the writing was still alive.

Tormund will die but beric will bring him back to life. He is the prince that was promised.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I really love how Bran just comes off as constantly boasting about his powers. He really caught the tism.

"I always forget my wallet in my other cloak"
"Not me, I never forget things"

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

fbsw posted:

everyone was at king's landing in case something went wrong

e: except daenerys who pulled the 10 minutes late to meeting trump style power play

Yeah, it was important for Dany to hammer in the fact that she had the biggest cock in the dragonpit. It's not like Theon or the Unsullied were helping out with that.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Propaganda Machine posted:

Yeah, it was important for Dany to hammer in the fact that she had the biggest cock in the dragonpit. It's not like Theon or the Unsullied were helping out with that.

Oh that explains why later it looks like she's loving Jon in his taint.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Diddie posted:

Oh that explains why later it looks like she's loving Jon in his taint.

Well yeah, that's how you get preggo after a witch rips your uterus out, thought you knew that.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Couldn't help myself and read the season 8 spoilers. Oh boy.

Overall, I don't mind the broad strokes because how else do you wrap up this series in six episodes, but I really hope there's a lot of misinfo there in how everything settles. Killing the bulk of the characters, sure, that's fine. The deaths of Jon & Dany are just... really unsatisfying though. Tyrion being a temp king is fine too, but there's a thru line that just snaps in context of our two main heroes not sticking around. Him raising the kid instead of either of his parents means pretty much all the character investment & lessons learned by them won't matter squat for the future ruler. Super unsatisfying.

This ain't no Wire, but one of the best parts of that show was how it really built on the notion of a wheel of archetypes- after five seasons, characters would come and go but the game remained the same. There'd be corrupt cops, good cops, corner kids, etc. etc. and they'd follow familiar paths as each grew older, developed, & were groomed for their position. GoT has that kind of feel coming from the Mad King -> Rob's Reb -> the show... but after killing off so many without bringing in new blood it's kinda gone stale. Let the bear family little girl survive the undead army assault and be a future leader in the new world. That'd be easy to do. Super satisfying.

They don't have many 'next gen leaders' left, and the spoilers sound like they'll be killing off whoever is left & replacing them with kinda sub par characters. Sam seems like he'd be a pretty lovely leader. Sansa as the ruler in the north is dope, but I guess there'd just be a lot of empty castles everywhere for people to take.

All to say, I really, really hope they don't kill Dany in childbirth, as that's such a lovely way for the character to go out.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

EatinCake posted:

Overall, I don't mind the broad strokes because how else do you wrap up this series in six episodes, but I really hope there's a lot of misinfo there in how everything settles. Killing the bulk of the characters, sure, that's fine. The deaths of Jon & Dany are just... really unsatisfying though. Tyrion being a temp king is fine too, but there's a thru line that just snaps in context of our two main heroes not sticking around. Him raising the kid instead of either of his parents means pretty much all the character investment & lessons learned by them won't matter squat for the future ruler. Super unsatisfying.

This ain't no Wire, but one of the best parts of that show was how it really built on the notion of a wheel of archetypes- after five seasons, characters would come and go but the game remained the same. There'd be corrupt cops, good cops, corner kids, etc. etc. and they'd follow familiar paths as each grew older, developed, & were groomed for their position. GoT has that kind of feel coming from the Mad King -> Rob's Reb -> the show... but after killing off so many without bringing in new blood it's kinda gone stale. Let the bear family little girl survive the undead army assault and be a future leader in the new world. That'd be easy to do. Super satisfying.

They don't have many 'next gen leaders' left, and the spoilers sound like they'll be killing off whoever is left & replacing them with kinda sub par characters. Sam seems like he'd be a pretty lovely leader. Sansa as the ruler in the north is dope, but I guess there'd just be a lot of empty castles everywhere for people to take.

All to say, I really, really hope they don't kill Dany in childbirth, as that's such a lovely way for the character to go out.

dany will die from a venereal disease

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The spoilers are fake. They would never have Dany be pelted with poo poo, the woke Internet people on Twitter would loving burn down HBO for crimes against feminism.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
wait but that was actually thoughtful

EatinCake posted:

Tyrion watched both of them grow and change. He doesn't need to be them to have learned their lessons, and frankly he'd be a better dad than either.

quote:

But that's what the s8 spoilers say? Yara is as good as Sansa if not better. lol Dorne. I guess I wonder where the gently caress Gendry went this week, it was weird for him just to gently caress off to neither Winterfell nor King's Landing nor Dragonstone nor the Wall. That bit actually makes less sense than the aerodynamics of a holey-winged dragon. But then,

quote:

Sam seems like he'd be a pretty lovely leader.

Sam's not his dad. Very explicitly. Sam's dad was a poo poo leader, got Sam's hotter brother killed for no drat good reason. Empty pride. Again, this part does make some narrative sense.

quote:

Killing off Jon's baby mama the same way his own mom died? That's poo poo? Alrighty, then.

I just try to end each episode half as drunk as any given Lannister. So should you.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

fbsw posted:

dany will die from a venereal disease

She did just have Sand in her vagina.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

WampaLord posted:

The spoilers are fake. They would never have Dany be pelted with poo poo, the woke Internet people on Twitter would loving burn down HBO for crimes against feminism.

This is both the point where I consider the spoilers to be fake, but also the point that has me wishing really hard that they are true just to see everyone losing their poo poo over fantasy dragon tits dieing.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Feral Integral posted:

Why is it that raisin Bran can see everything at once and poo poo but big Sam has to tell him about how poo poo actually went down from reading a restricted book?

Then Bran is all 'oh yeah hold on a sec: yep, checks out, my bad!'

He had fast forwarded through the boring annulment paperwork part on his first viewing

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Specially more so, as another goon said, due to all the parents that would have ended up naming their childs after the fantasy character that got poo flinged at her corpse.

meet girls at the store posted:

He had fast forwarded through the boring annulment paperwork part

Bran just Ctrl+F-ed "Sex"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Dany is going to die and get the poo. Who cares about the internet people.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

a.lo posted:

so they went with the who dead dragons bit did they? that's cool. NOT. like, i was sorta expecting it last episode when the dragon died, i kept nudging my girlfriend, "when are they going to resurrect the dragon?" of course they did as the final scene in the previous episode. but i just feel that it's lazy. i thought it would be dead men vs dragons but i guess not. so now we have to deal with a dead dragon? i am sure somehow jon snow (forgot his real name already, sorry) will somehow try and communicate with it at some point and bringing back to their side. also if the undead have a dragon why not just fly right down to king's landing already? they took out a thousand foot wall in a matter of minutes killing thousands just from this dragon, hey guess what night king? you already won buddy. take it over man fly to the throne and claim it

You sound like a fun guy to watch things with.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Probably already said, but I didn't get why Cercei bothered with the fake rousing speech about joining forces and how she's totally doing them a solid. Even if Jamie didn't end up riding north to tell them about the doublecross, they're all going to notice the lack of Lannisters up there anyways.

But I guess it works as a stall tactic when you're working with the bizarro time passage of this show, where a whole army will march off and probably get halfway across the continent before noticing that their allies aren't coming with.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Was Tyrion supposed to look jealous? I couldn't figure out what his deal was.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Probably already said, but I didn't get why Cercei bothered with the fake rousing speech about joining forces and how she's totally doing them a solid. Even if Jamie didn't end up riding north to tell them about the doublecross, they're all going to notice the lack of Lannisters up there anyways.

But I guess it works as a stall tactic when you're working with the bizarro time passage of this show, where a whole army will march off and probably get halfway across the continent before noticing that their allies aren't coming with.

I don't get it. The "call our banners - all of them" part was so absurd. It's clearly established that the Lannisters are already fielded all the men under their control to take Highgarden - there are no banners left to call.

This brings me to my larger point - Jaime and Bronn make it very clear that the military position of the Lannisters is hopeless, why is their support this important to team Good Incest?

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
so if poo poo is true, ~2.5 - 3 years after the series ends, HBO will release an ARG where ppl have to dig through piles of poo poo they've carefully placed around London and find scraps of paper that they piece together to form a bitcoin address. if you send $10 to this bitcoin address hbo will randomly generate an address to send you $.01, and that address you received from becomes a one time use password that you can use to attend a local 2 minute trailer screening of the next GoT (probably called Game of Tombs) that shows - rains of castamere (from the national) is playing, raven pecking at dany's bloated dead body floating in blackwater bay, a bunch of flashbacks from GoT, night king bran smiles, the raven's eyes glow blue, it tongue kisses emilia clarke and right when the song goes "and not a soul to hear" her eyes open all blue and she does the classic overconfident dany smile

fbsw fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 28, 2017

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Demiurge4 posted:

Was Tyrion supposed to look jealous? I couldn't figure out what his deal was.

Tyrion is a huge nerd who happily spergs to be witnessing things of consequence, like the modern presence of dragons but also royal boatsex.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tormund is def alive

He's too much of a fan fave to die offscreen

Plus his drat name is giants bane he is gonna fight and maybe be killed by a giant zombie

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Her plan is to let the idiots up north die and then worry about fighting the nigh-unstoppable army of the dead later. I guess her plan is to send the golden company to Moat Cailin?

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't get it. The "call our banners - all of them" part was so absurd. It's clearly established that the Lannisters are already fielded all the men under their control to take Highgarden - there are no banners left to call.

This brings me to my larger point - Jaime and Bronn make it very clear that the military position of the Lannisters is hopeless, why is their support this important to team Good Incest?

Cersei's whole speech was an act anyways so the whole 'call the banners' thing was probably just for theatrics.

And Team Good Incest doesn't really need Lannister (AKA Team Blonde Incest) support; they just don't want to get backstabbed while they're off fighting zombies. IIRC they were perfectly fine with all the Lannister forces just staying in KL until Jon decided to be an idiot.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

Peanut President posted:

Her plan is to let the idiots up north die and then worry about fighting the nigh-unstoppable army of the dead later. I guess her plan is to send the golden company to Moat Cailin?

"qyburn will figure it out"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just go and live in the Braavos place and let the dead dudes live in Westeros. That's what I'd do if I was a Bronn type character, just go gently caress this and leave.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

JBP posted:

Just go and live in the Braavos place and let the dead dudes live in Westeros. That's what I'd do if I was a Bronn type character, just go gently caress this and leave.

Westeros feels like, oh, I don't know, New Mexico that way, like why the gently caress are you idiot humans trying to live here?

Winter, drought. Zombies, hobos. Probably equal numbers of venomous things that will accidentally kill you. Who gives a poo poo.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

JBP posted:

That was an option, until Team Good Incest gave the NK a dragon, so even if his undead can't swim, he can just fly over a random poo poo town in Essos, kill everyone and start a new undead army branch.

Literally, Team Good Incest didn't just gently caress Westeros, they hosed the whole world.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Your grace, the banners are here. In the castle. See? They're everywhere. Surely you understand this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

EatinCake posted:

The real spoiler leaks for the last few seasons have all come from extras, on set location people etc, we've never gotten leaked info from people getting access to the scripts early. They haven't started filming season 8 yet. What you read was some guy on 4Chan's fanfiction attempting to replicate the style of the real previous leaks because he had way too much time on his hands and wanted to trick people. A 4Channer that loves Euron and hates Dany. I will give my hats off to that guy, he did a convincing job writing it in a really elaborate way to try to trick people and for the most part its pretty consistent. He really made it seem like a script that resulted from the way the show is made now (hack frauds D&D summarizing and rushing between bullet points of a better story that GRRM told them.)

There are a couple mistakes here and there that give it away, however. The most major seeming one is that Theon apparently dies in episode 2 but then shows back up later in the last episode with Yara to deliver the news that Jon et all exploded, although that could be explained away by the fact that in the latter scene the transcriber accidentally typed "Theon" instead of "Bronn." Also the writer seems to include that somehow Nymeria factors into the endgame and she travels with Arya and the Hound into King's Landing but then apparently disappears. Also it doesn't contain any details about how Nymeria reconnects with Arya at any point. I don't trust D&D at all and I think they suck, (and I believe that they would do a lot of the stupid poo poo described in the S8 writeup, like having Dany die in childbirth and then have yokels throw feces at their corpse, I totally buy that they would have that happen) but having a giant wolf somehow surreptitiously sneak into King's Landing through the front gate seems a bit much even for them.

He obviously read the S7 leak spoilers beforehand and based a lot of his fake S8 script based on that before he actually watched the final two episodes of the season. The S7 leaks we got from extras/location people were accurate, but they omitted some details here and there, especially regarding scenes that happened in enclosed spaces with just a few actors. For example, there wasn't anything in the S7 leaks about the scene from last episode where Tyrion is talking to Dany about succession and mentions the way that the Night's Watch and Ironborn elect leaders - to me, I feel like that scene highly implies that the endgame includes at least some sort of prototypical attempt at an eventual democracy/republic for Westeros. In addition, the accurate S7 leaks omitted a few details about Cersei's plan and Jaime's departure from tonight's episode, they did not include the detail that Cersei pledged to send the Lannister army north to help fight. They include a scene where Jaime and Bronn meet at a tavern and Jaime is surprised to see him there showing up to help. But tonight's episode ends with Bronn and the majority of the Lannister army believing that they were legitimately going to march north and only Jaime knew about the duplicitous betrayal privately, so there's no reason for Jaime to be surprised to see Bronn there like the fake S8 spoilers seem to suggest.

• Locked thread