Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
They should have brought back both Donnas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

General Dog posted:

They should have brought back both Donnas
As the Roadhouse guest :unsmigghh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCvRT2sy5FE

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

CJacobs posted:

drat fine episode. It's a shame it took way, way too goddamn long to get here.

gently caress you

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Berke Negri posted:

kind of got this too, there's more than a few scenes this season that felt felliniesque

Other note, anyone else think the accountant wasn't just road rage but a double agent assassin to close up more loose ends? That's how it came off to me

I dunno. Seemed like a normal American citizen to me. :shrug:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I mean sure though even in NV fully auto uzis or mac-10s whatever he had aren't legal.

Wouldn't be first time Booper double crossed people and he seems to be in end game mode and all these petty crime connections aren't needed.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
This show is seriously the greatest. What a time to be alive.

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

All the haters can go watch game of thrones

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I'm freaking out so much right now! This is so perfect right now!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Berke Negri posted:

I mean sure though even in NV fully auto uzis or mac-10s whatever he had aren't legal.

Wouldn't be first time Booper double crossed people and he seems to be in end game mode and all these petty crime connections aren't needed.

Why would he kill them before they completed the mission he sent them on to start with?

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I love that Coop remembers everything he did as Dougie, and that he's calling in all the favors he's earned to get the family safe first of all, and then get to where he needs to go.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raymond Hog posted:

gently caress you

I like the show a lot but I've felt since like episode 4 that there's a hell of a lot of fat that could've been trimmed while still maintaining Lynch's penchant for taking things as slow as they need to be. Sorry you disagree.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

General Dog posted:

Why would he kill them before they completed the mission he sent them on to start with?

Maybe he never really intended for them to kill him? Wouldn't be the first time Boop's motivations seemed inscrutable. Not that I'm 100% doubling down on this, just a feeling

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Berke Negri posted:

kind of got this too, there's more than a few scenes this season that felt felliniesque

Other note, anyone else think the accountant wasn't just road rage but a double agent assassin to close up more loose ends? That's how it came off to me

No, it was road rage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEH9Zwo8JEM

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
This episode was great and so is this whole show. I have no idea what you people want who say there's no point to these other characters. Do you just want like 4.5 hours of just FBI and then coop being back? Do you like Twin Peaks? Because Twin Peaks is Cooper and Laura and Bob, but it's also the pine weasel and the civil war and mike and bobby and, regrettably, James. You can't say that Dick Tremaine is pointless, he's part of the story of the people of Twin Peaks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Llab posted:

I love that Coop remembers everything he did as Dougie, and that he's calling in all the favors he's earned to get the family safe first of all, and then get to where he needs to go.

Yeah this made me smile so much!

I get the criticisms about characters being superfluous etc even if I don't agree with all of them. Like I can't honestly say the majority of the Chantal and Hutch scenes were anything other than "ok". That story about Leigh convincing Lynch to give em more screen time and co-writing some of their scenes makes a hell of a lot of sense. But I've really enjoyed other potentially "pointless" characters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

zelah posted:

This episode was great and so is this whole show. I have no idea what you people want who say there's no point to these other characters. Do you just want like 4.5 hours of just FBI and then coop being back? Do you like Twin Peaks? Because Twin Peaks is Cooper and Laura and Bob, but it's also the pine weasel and the civil war and mike and bobby and, regrettably, James. You can't say that Dick Tremaine is pointless, he's part of the story of the people of Twin Peaks.

There are too many plot threads stuffed in, too many characters. Having side plots is fine and helps break up the progression of the 3-ish main stories, but there are characters on this show that have had 3 scenes total and we're expected to care about their storyline even though said scenes are miles apart in the runtime. We're not given enough time to care about half these people.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

zelah posted:

I've enjoyed all the characters. While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I am a naysayer and hatchetman in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another because I choose to live my life in the company of Gandhi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and bad posting. The foundation of such a method... is love. I love you TVIV. 

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

CJacobs posted:

There are too many plot threads stuffed in, too many characters. Having side plots is fine and helps break up the progression of the 3-ish main stories, but there are characters on this show that have had 3 scenes total and we're expected to care about their storyline even though said scenes are miles apart in the runtime. We're not given enough time to care about half these people.

Lynch works on dream logic, he has characters weave in and out all the time that ultimately serve no purpose to the overarching story.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 28, 2017

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I've loved every moment of the show, but I totally understand people who have complaints. It's really not an either-or situation. You can like the show even if other people don't 100% agree. There's no reason to get angry at people who don't like it as much or think some parts aren't super awesome. You'll live.

(Edit) Oh, wait sorry. I forgot I was posting on Something Awful. Carry on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dammit Bushnell smartphones don't have speed dial

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Escobarbarian posted:

Dammit Bushnell smartphones don't have speed dial

I can definitely see him constantly calling his contacts list "speed dial" and having his grandkids roll their eyes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

zelah posted:

Everything you just named had more screen time and more plot beats dedicated to it so that they felt fleshed out (even though they were silly). Freddie has more characterization than Tammy or Becky or Steve or Richard. Hell, James Justice Wheeler had better characterization than any of them. And there's been 16 hours of time that they could have been given anything besides "daughter", "bad kid", "FBI agent", "druggy bad kid". I love the show, but feel like some of the time thats been spent has been mostly to get the episode count up to 18.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Looking back, the show's whole use of Las Vegas is hilarious to me. It's like Anti-Lynch. Las Vegas, on the surface, is a seedy town full of violent thugs, scammy insurance dudes, debaucherous nightlife, etc... but Dougie shines a light on it and finds it's a sunny suburban paradise. Even the people who seem bad turn out to have hearts of gold; they've just been waiting for someone to come along who could help them be good.

I guess the 119 lady is still pretty problematic, not sure if we're gonna see more of that.

nopants
May 29, 2004
Chantal sure does love her loving cheetos

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching with subtitles and noticed a couple things about the Diane scene:

1. She says "he leaned in to kiss me", which invalidates that previous thing about her initiating it
2. She IMMEDIATELY follows this up with "It only happened once before." which WHAAAAAAA

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Escobarbarian posted:

2. She IMMEDIATELY follows this up with "It only happened once before." which WHAAAAAAA

OG Cooper/Diane is canon, what a ladies man

nopants
May 29, 2004
This show is real good yall

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Escobarbarian posted:

Rewatching with subtitles and noticed a couple things about the Diane scene:

1. She says "he leaned in to kiss me", which invalidates that previous thing about her initiating it

Gooper was kind of a horn dog even in OG series, so this reads. Dude was thirsty for more than a drat good coffee.

nopants
May 29, 2004
I don't get the point of making anything that isn't weird as poo poo. Reality in 2017 is ducked. Give me weird poo poo. I don't give a gently caress about normal shitbtht never existed anyway

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

I've enjoyed all the characters. While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I am a naysayer and hatchetman in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another because I choose to live my life in the company of Gandhi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and bad posting. The foundation of such a method... is love. I love you TVIV. 

Perfect

Also: been feeling this way the last couple of EPs: https://twitter.com/carolynmichelle/status/902057036183027712

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 28, 2017

nopants
May 29, 2004
Wtf? Is everybody on this freaking show a tulpa?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

everyone is a tulpa, and everyone was :tvtropes: before becoming a tulpa.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Like yeah sure, I can see why you'd be worried that Frost and Lynch will try to tie everything up perfectly. But also I'm imagining the final 2 hours are going to have some real Lynch-rear end poo poo going down, like let's get some full on Inland Empire poo poo in here :unsmigghh:

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 28, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I feel like the finale may end up being a bloodbath. I definitely don't expect Coop to survive.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Soooooooooooooo did Booper and Audrey make that little shithead? At the end of the original series?

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Berke Negri posted:

Lynch did an interview where he listed his 5 favorite films. 8 1/2, Sunset Blvd and 2001 shouldn't be surprises.

nopants
May 29, 2004

DaveKap posted:

Soooooooooooooo did Booper and Audrey make that little shithead? At the end of the original series?

yes. booper is a evil pos that doesnt need but wants the poo poo out of everything

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I like the show a lot but I've felt since like episode 4 that there's a hell of a lot of fat that could've been trimmed while still maintaining Lynch's penchant for taking things as slow as they need to be. Sorry you disagree.

The obsessive guy with the anime avatar can maybe have a more coherent take on this, but: to me it seems like Lynch's stuff, and this season in particular, is about making the viewer feel stuff. I am still absolutely floored by the latest episode, people in the thread are gushing about how they love the Mario brothers when they're obvious scum-bags, etc. It's not meant to be a coherent, understandable story-line, it's about evoking feelings and thoughts. Hell, having us idiots pour over minutiae in this here thread, even.

If you weren't crying when Coop finally came back, I dunno what to tell you. Dragging it out with the also emotionally wrenching dream-like scenes with Dougie is what did that, to a large extent. The show isn't supposed to "make sense" the way Bones or CSI does, it's about using the medium in a different, more exploratory way.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I thought it was amusing how Dick Horne repeated 'place' at Booper in a manner identical to Dougie, right before getting fried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I want to travel five years into the past to tell people there will be a new season of twin peaks. Jim belushi will be in it, he'll be coopers side kick and its loving rad.