Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

mattfl posted:

That was a hell of a win for DJ. Holy poo poo that drive on 18 in sudden death.

That drive was... Insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

They said it was 341 total, does anyone know what the carry was?

E: I'm reading it was 310 carry. DJ said the wind shifted enough to hit the shot, I'm surprised other guys didn't take that line this week (or maybe I missed it?)

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 28, 2017

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

The way he swaggered up to the green after his pitch you just knew he was thinking he had it won.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

They said it was 341 total, does anyone know what the carry was?

E: I'm reading it was 310 carry. DJ said the wind shifted enough to hit the shot, I'm surprised other guys didn't take that line this week (or maybe I missed it?)

IIRC the color guy said he was the first person there all week.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

EnsGDT posted:

Apparently DJ plays with an 11* driver, according to GolfWRX anyway.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Two rounds of thin hits had really shaken my confidence, but some real world stressors went away and it made a huge difference. Good ball striking all day, and good putting when I had to have it. Frustr!ting because I nailed 12 and 15 foot putts for par, one 20 footer for bogey and missed 6, 8 and 6 foot birdie putts.

Nice, polite playing partners, even the guy who stepped on everyone's line but was careful with his own. But, the cute, buxom drink cart girl was an idiot. Lots of noise, pulling up to the tee box when players were at the ball, digging for ice like she worked at a hockey arena.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

This past weekend was the club championship at the state park course where I have a couple leagues this year, and it was tough. Playing the ball down at 8:30 in the morning when it's foggy and you have tons of cut grass and mud on your ball after every shot is really frustrating. I played decently on the front nine both days but had a few terrible holes on the back that really hurt. Nobody posted a round in the 70s on Sunday and only two guys did on Saturday so I guess it was a rough weekend for everyone. Last night my league was on the back nine, pins hadn't moved from Sunday, and I shot a 41 compared to a 48 and 46 in the tournament :(

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Played Saturday, and probably added 10 or 12 strokes to my scorecard by hitting it way fat. Did it on two consecutive strokes on one hole. so much rage.

So I already had a lesson scheduled for Tuesday, and the guy discovered my backswing was far too steep, particularly on my chili-dips. He showed me what my club angle needed to be at the top of my backswing, and said to imagine there's a stick poking out if the grip, perpendicular to the shaft. Told me to imagine I'm scraping the back of my shoulders with that stick, rather than scraping my head or the back of my neck. Worked like a charm. Went back to the range this morning and had a lot more success.

Second lesson I've taken from this guy and both have been great. I can't recommend enough taking lessons from a skilled instructor.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
One of the great things about golf is that different things work for different people. You have fixed a problem in your swing, but I have no idea what the hell that back-scratching thing is supposed to mean.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Played 18 on Monday. First 9 my ball striking was terrible. I was hitting everything lovely, offline, usually topping it. I just could not figure anything out and almost walked off the course after 7 holes. Essentially walked through the last 2 holes mostly thinking about my shot results and what they meant but not keeping score lest I get too depressed.

Had this feel like I was coming in really steep. I've been measured with 10-15+ degrees of AoA before so this wasn't exactly new information. So I played the back 9 with the idea of reducing that impact angle as much as possible. Everything clicked back together. Hit many fairways and greens. Even had a long eagle putt.

It was interesting how that intention of coming in shallow forced a lot of changes in my downswing. I had to swing under my torso to reduce the angle and still hit straight. I had to stay back and maintain my tilt away from the ball to not hit fat. The release at the bottom became a lot simpler.

I'm glad something worked out cause I was not having any fun at all that front 9.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
For the first time in quite a while, I am very very happy with my set.

Not insane top of the line, but all solid gear that I am comfortable with.

Odyssey White Hot V-line Putter Hatchet Grip 33" (I'm 5'6" lol )
Cleveland Tour Action 58*, 54*, and 50* wedges
Ping G 5-PW
Adams Idea 19* and 22* hybrids
Callaway XR 4 wood
Ping G25 9.5* driver(adjusted to 9.5)

My goal is to be under 10 HCI. I'm currently 14 and trending lower.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 1, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Was just at the range yesterday so here is a pic of what my bag has turned into this season

Only vintage left are the fairway woods (which have such small heads as to be practically hybrids these days) and the putter, which I regripped with one of those superstroke pistol midsized things that works pretty well with my putting style. Sorry for the mat scuff on them, but clubs are meant to be used!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

if anyone shames you for putting wear on clubs then hit them with your putter

on the other hand why you hittin' off a mat :cmon:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I really need to find a Apex 2 Hybrid in good shape with a stiff shaft, or another similar hybrid that is neutral/fade biased. My 3 and 4 are so reliable and I almost never hit my 3 wood as a result. Lately I've even been hitting an easy 4hy instead of my 5 iron and been having great results. The 18th hole in my league last night is a narrow dogleg left, you need to be at least 235 out to see around a huge tree but anything more than 260 puts you into trees too. I hit a hard 3hy and it went dead straight and landed on the far edge of the fairway and stopped next to its pitch mark. 247 yard carry. That's the same as my drivers carry on a decent swing...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

DJExile posted:

I know, just need more blocks of unbroken time. And playing partners.

Think I will look into a league for next season.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Tiger's hitting pitch shots

Master 2018 here we go

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

DJExile posted:

Alright so you shamed me into jumping onto a short 9 on my way in to work instead of hitting the gym. And it went well much better than previous rounds. Biggest thing to work on is putting. If i cut out the three puts i would have scored sub 40 easily. These lofted wedges stop on a dime so i have to allow for less roll. Also hitting straight means i have to stop compensating for the fade so much.

Lots positive to build on!

e. ps love the TP5s, perhaps the best feeling ball I have ever used. Its so noticably softer than the surlyn balls I have been using before, and the new irons love them. Had a 9 iron tee shot onto a par 3 that seemed to float in the air and lightly drop onto the green; barely made a dent in the soft wet surface.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 1, 2017

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I played one of my best and most consistent rounds today

Had 2 eagle putts that I left for kick in birdies and 3 or 4 birdie putts that I should have made. 6 - 10' putts killed me today and really something I need to work on more if I wanna go even lower. All in all a great round though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Wow nice round!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

45 minute frost delay this morning. September 2nd and we have frost delays. :shepface: :canada:

Also shot 111 today which is something I havnt done in 3 years. Who knew playing less than 10 rounds a year would make you worse?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Yeah a friend of mine said he had a frost delay further north in NY than me. It was like 42 here this morning, the season is winding down :( We played 36 today at least and Monday is supposed to be almost 80 so that's something at least.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Just signed up for my first tournament that's not at a par-3. Been playing for about 2 & a half years, so it's probably overdue. I've never played the course before.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Sergio putting with his driver the rest of the round after bending his putter lol. To be fair he appears to be doing decent with it.

E: never mind I jinxed him. Four 3-putts in five holes

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 3, 2017

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Sergio putting with his driver the rest of the round after bending his putter lol. To be fair he appears to be doing decent with it.

E: never mind I jinxed him. Four 3-putts in five holes
Always putt with your LW

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Josh Lyman posted:

Always putt with your LW

Seriously, I can putt pretty well with the lob wedge. I used to practice my short game with just my wedges, but I'd putt out with my wedge. Got pretty decent at it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

Seriously, I can putt pretty well with the lob wedge. I used to practice my short game with just my wedges, but I'd putt out with my wedge. Got pretty decent at it.
Yep. It's the club that's the closest to your putter in length which means you can keep a similar eye position. Putting with your lowest club is extremely dumb, to say nothing of a 3 or 4 iron, because even a 10* driver will send your ball off to the right.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
3 wood chipping from the fringe however, is always cool and good.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oh god now I have to get a lob wedge too? :negative:

JK, but I'm only just getting used to having a SW so not sure what I would do with a 60*

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

JK, but I'm only just getting used to having a SW so not sure what I would do with a 60*

My 60 is for like 75 yards in, chipping around the green and sand shots around the green. Prob one of my favorite clubs.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

Use the 60 in the bunker, its what Ive been doing and its wonderful.

I need a new 3W and with the cold nights and frost delays Im sure the sales will be starting by next week.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah lob wedges in bunkers is wonderful

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

DJExile posted:

yeah lob wedges in bunkers is wonderful

Seconded, lay that poo poo open and swing as hard as you can

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I know this has been kicked back and forth a bunch but what is a fair amount for lessons?

Or actually, if folks don't mind disclosing what they paid. One of those moments where you go to the range and realize "Hey, this is screwed up" after a year absence.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
The last two guys I took lessons from were $35 and $45 per lesson.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
here in Sacramento, CA it's around $100 per hr so in SF it would be $300/10 min.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A good private lesson would likely be anywhere from $40-100 per hour, depending on what you do.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The best guys in my area are like $50/hr. I am finally going to bite the bullet and call one tomorrow now that several good golfers I know have all recommended the same guy.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Suprfli6 posted:

The best guys in my area are like $50/hr. I am finally going to bite the bullet and call one tomorrow now that several good golfers I know have all recommended the same guy.

I'm with our version of that guy here and he runs $75/hour IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

A like-new Apex 2 hybrid with stiff shaft finally showed up on Cally Preowned, woop! I've been looking all over for one.