Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

It's pretty astonishing how they turned this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MllGbvFBP2k&t=128s

into a 10 minute ordeal that could cause the wheels on your space car to drop off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

There's something strangely nice about people recutting all thr gamescom footage into a dialogue and bug free trailer and then getting excited by it. Imagine having that childlike glee, that ability to be entertained by nothing. Like when i give my toddler nephew an empty box and ot entertains him for hours.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Aramoro posted:

There's something strangely nice about people recutting all thr gamescom footage into a dialogue and bug free trailer and then getting excited by it. Imagine having that childlike glee, that ability to be entertained by nothing. Like when i give my toddler nephew an empty box and ot entertains him for hours.

It means it matches the version in their heads. Lowers the cognitive dissonance.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm not sure I agree, please quote some of these posts that contribute to the thread simply by "mocking derek". And no lazrin or moma, they're not relevant to your claim

o7

The entire avatar shitfight was hilarious for a start.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I wonder how my "investments" are doing....

https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/11866

:smuggo:

I don't actually perceive my MtG cards as investments, however, I was dizzy with glee when I found out that nerds had caused several cards in my collection to spike like gently caress to 10x-20x what I originally paid for them.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Xaerael posted:

I wonder how my "investments" are doing....

https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/11866

:smuggo:

I don't actually perceive my MtG cards as investments, however, I was dizzy with glee when I found out that nerds had caused several cards in my collection to spike like gently caress to 10x-20x what I originally paid for them.

This is the same mentality with those who're buying ships. Perceived value

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

bacalhau posted:

Didn't they lose one ship during the mission? What's the estimated cost of that ship, is it less than the 100k credits?

They lost a Constellation during the mission (On purpose - scripted) that would cost someone 200 USD or 200,000 UEC.
That ship wasn't even the quest haver's. And absolutely no RP of "Hey I lost my ship!" It is just it's cool I just lost 200 USD helping you make 10USD, no biggie.
Then they went and lost the Rover which is not on sale anymore so I forget how much. Then factor in a few 10USD missiles the Idris fires and you are looking at 300-400USD lost trying to get a box worth 10USD which gets destroyed presumably by a ramp.

Another thing I would like to mention is how when they showcase the Idris fight they show the fighters landing in the bay. However, It did not look like you would be able to fit both those planes plus a rover. So I guess it was a good thing that it blew up?

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

Hey gently caress you man empty boxes are awesome :mad:

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Furia posted:

Hey gently caress you man empty boxes are awesome :mad:

My cat and niece agree.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Thirsty Dog posted:

The entire avatar shitfight was hilarious for a start.

:boom:

One of the better sources of entertainment leading up to the actual con.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Lladre posted:

They lost a Constellation during the mission (On purpose - scripted) that would cost someone 200 USD or 200,000 UEC.
That ship wasn't even the quest haver's. And absolutely no RP of "Hey I lost my ship!" It is just it's cool I just lost 200 USD helping you make 10USD, no biggie.
Then they went and lost the Rover which is not on sale anymore so I forget how much. Then factor in a few 10USD missiles the Idris fires and you are looking at 300-400USD lost trying to get a box worth 10USD which gets destroyed presumably by a ramp.

Another thing I would like to mention is how when they showcase the Idris fight they show the fighters landing in the bay. However, It did not look like you would be able to fit both those planes plus a rover. So I guess it was a good thing that it blew up?

Don't forget that CR said that the ship prices in the shop are supposed to be 'heavily discounted' and the in-game would be much higher, so you could be looking more like spending 1M+ UEC on the constellation alone just to retrieve a 10k UEC box, nevermind the additional faff like the rover, missiles, etc.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Aramoro posted:

It reminds me of when I'd get super excited about box art or reviews in gaming magazines as a kid. It's sort of adorable in a "Bless their hearts," kind of way.

Lladre posted:

The real-money equivalency really highlights how loving insanely bad that mission design is, and how broken the concept of "let's land the ship and go exploring" is. Commandos are pumped that they'll be able to land their ship in the woods and go on adventures like in Firefly but anybody with an even barely functional brain is going to fly straight to the objective, drop off one dude, and hover around impossibly in their ship to make sure it doesn't get blown up by goons while they're away. Because holy fuckin' lol if you don't have "insurance" on your poo poo you just lost $250 of actual money.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

The real-money equivalency really highlights how loving insanely bad that mission design is, and how broken the concept of "let's land the ship and go exploring" is. Commandos are pumped that they'll be able to land their ship in the woods and go on adventures like in Firefly but anybody with an even barely functional brain is going to fly straight to the objective, drop off one dude, and hover around impossibly in their ship to make sure it doesn't get blown up by goons while they're away. Because holy fuckin' lol if you don't have "insurance" on your poo poo you just lost $250 of actual money.

Yeah, as far as I can make out the 'cost per missile' is a misconception and you pay for the ability to license the missile line. So it's the price to launch any missiles of that type and-i-can't-believe-that-i'm-defending-cig, but they gently caress up so many things fundamentally, we can afford accuracy.

Nothing gets around the fact that they're taking money for non-existent assets, changing capability and trying to have both the pledge and retail cakes while failing to get the most fundamental issues with their MMO settled.

I refer everyone back to 38 Studios and how everything was fine up until the point they locked the doors.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Aramoro posted:

I think Star Citizen has done a great service to the world. In university theres this great caee study you learn on the Therac 25 which was a radiology machine that killed a few folk by cooking them from the inside out. Its a case study in the importance of software engineering and managing risk. We now have an amazing case study for project scoping. We're going to train better project managers and software engineers based on the failure of Star Citizen and no one had to die.

I'd like to recommend Apress' "Why software projects fail". It's a great book regarding scoping, reining in and managing time and outcomes for software projects.

Star Citizen will become a gold standard for development, but not the way they think.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Once again, CIG marketing has hosed up severely and limited their cash flow by being missing the most lucrative road to milking whales.

With the new 600i, CIG has set up a way to pay to name your ship, which sounds great. You can reward your players for spending a bit of extra cash by allowing them to give their ship a unique name. Of course, I am one step ahead of the world's best marketer since she was a little girl by introducing a MUCH better ship naming system: punishing those who don't pay extra.

As you can see below, this clever commando has bought a Goonrathi Rampaarp for the low, low introductory price of $50, BUT he also ponied up an extra :10bux: to name his chariot the SS "Derek Smart was Right". This is the sensible and correct thing to do, and he is handsomely rewarded for his brilliance.

However, this cheap son-of-a-whore has decided to only go for the basic package, and his sperg chassis was procedurally named by our subsumptive rear end in a top hat AI for maximum mockery.

So, fellow goons. The choice is yours. You can pay just a little extra to give your ship a majestic name of your choosing, or you can bumble around the 'laxy in your idiot wagon called "Pancake Nipples Mk. II" or "Fuckface McGee".

CIG should pay me a lot of money to milk the idiots they still have. I'm WAY better at this than they are.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Hav posted:

I'd like to recommend Apress' "Why software projects fail". It's a great book regarding scoping, reining in and managing time and outcomes for software projects.

Star Citizen will become a gold standard for development, but not the way they think.

Star Citizen: THE gold standard for development turds

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

no_recall posted:

This is the same mentality with those who're buying ships. Perceived value

I totally agree. I have a whole bunch of cards that are worth "serious money" to some people, but I'd never trade or sell them because they form a vital part of my playable card pool. The only thing I keep in mind is that in a dire emergency, I have an easily and quickly liquidatable hobby.

My amusement mainly comes from the hilarity that Citizens think their dumb space ships that sell, at best, for a few bucks more than they bought them for are some sort of biz-wiz high roller investment, while some dumb cards I bought years ago for a few bucks to play janky decks with have turned out to be some sort of abstract unintentional investment with significant RoR.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Star Citizen: THE gold standard for development turds

Failing to plan is planning to fail - a project manager I knew was fond of this, and he was entirely right, mainly because scoping a project is 90% of the plan. Taking something, turning it into components, then scoping and managing the components within the wider context is an artform, and when you see it done right, things just work.

I got interested in this because they promised something new; recall that back at the pitch, we were told that the modelling had been done...that Crobbers had a working flight model that responded to damage and conditions. The first big lie was the implication that they _knew_ what they were doing.

Crazypoops posted:

I agree, Gillette has really outdone themselves with this new razor.

Macheriel - Eve

Defiant - DS9

Imperial Clipper Courier - ED

Couldn't not post this;

Xaerael posted:

I totally agree. I have a whole bunch of cards that are worth "serious money" to some people, but I'd never trade or sell them because they form a vital part of my playable card pool. The only thing I keep in mind is that in a dire emergency, I have an easily and quickly liquidatable hobby.

Right up until they decide to invalidate the value of your cards to produce a new revenue line. 'Collectables' are their own industry rather than being a byline these days.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 28, 2017

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Alchenar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuIeKMYaIAk

Egosoft already have more functioning gameplay to show off than star citizen.

Ohh looks nice. While not completely "Made for VR" it looks like it could be implemented easily while being a lot less barf inducing than SC current first person animations.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Hav posted:

Imperial Clipper - ED

:spergin: this is the imperial courier

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

Here's their own console help

Kinda amusing that the RSI ships go up to 'C'.

Edit:

Chrysophylax posted:

:spergin: this is the imperial courier

Balls. You are right. Have a hundred internet points, friend.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

:siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ITxpWAieKo :siren:

Here it is, my new video review of the Gamescam 2017 CIG presentation.

You can actually hear Chris telling some guy not to go places where the game is not finished, lol

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The new jpeg looks pretty cool, if it was in an actual game game and not 400 dollars (lol) I would have one. It's the best looking ship they've done imo.

<------ e: aw poo poo, there is it

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
LOL @ the new thread title

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

AP posted:

He's failed 41 times to release a game called Squadron too.

Time for an engine change I think.

quoting dis, it's a great joke :)

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

ZenMaster posted:

You can actually hear Chris telling some guy not to go places where the game is not finished, lol

:gary: 55555 :yarg:

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

ZenMaster posted:

:tinfoil: what if the Gamescom demo was actually a part of SQ42:tinfoil:

Crazy_BlackParrot fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 28, 2017

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Asproigerosis posted:

Oh dear, wandered into the dev time topic on their forum. Just groaned when the OP lists the dev time for a bunch of games. A curious choice that all of them are sequels, until you see where the citizen math comes in. The dude lists the first official announcement for the game to release, but then tacks on a mystery 'hidden development' time that rounds out the times closer to the decade scale for citizens. Of course this only works by choosing all sequels of big games and counting the time between the original game release and first announcement as the 'hidden development' time. Being completely accepting of a 10+ year development is insanity.

I'm sure this poo poo is old news to this thread, but I was delighted. Incredible considering the last time roberts tried to make a game he agonizingly poo poo out strike commander, falling into all of the exact same debacles as star citizens is suffering from now. I'm sure the crysis engine will still be great in 2020, I mean the 400+ developers have shown their unsurpassed mastery of the engine already.

And when it does run over (if they keep getting funded) they will just say it's better and more complex than any other game so OF COURSE it took 15 years to make a stable game.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
Actual average AAA dev time is like 3-5 years right? Low end if its rehashed stuff and long end if its brand new stuff/poo poo goes wrong.

On the forums they say average dev time is either 5-9 years or 7-10 depending on what they're handwaving.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

mike12345 posted:

I hope the guy is still inside

Poor Chambers. You know what the inevitable consequences could be.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

The new jpeg looks pretty cool, if it was in an actual game game and not 400 dollars (lol) I would have one. It's the best looking ship they've done imo.

<------ e: aw poo poo, there is it

Nice

Daffan
Feb 24, 2013

Xaerael posted:

It's pretty astonishing how they turned this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MllGbvFBP2k&t=128s

into a 10 minute ordeal that could cause the wheels on your space car to drop off.

I kinda like everything about that clip. That's how I want a sci-fi game to feel and play really. The sound, atmosphere, the overall look and feel is awesome. Instead we get a game where flying down to a planet looks like the ship is being pulled by strings and then a noclip camera flying around with zero sources of immersion elsewhere.

Daffan fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 28, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The one thing that stands out about the new jpeg (I agree it is cool looking and there was a time I probably would have melted some poo poo to get one) is the cockpit bubble thing. I swear to God I've seen that before, like exactly that cockpit. I just can't remember where for the life of me.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

no_recall posted:

Being honest..

Looks like the most original spaceship CIG has designed so far.

e: the more I look at it, the more I think it fits in the ED universe.

Its just a luxury yacht with side thrusters

Some modern yacht like the "Black Swan" are better at looking like spaceships than his designs

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's hilarious how much more game egosoft already have made going by that 7 minute trailer.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Unlike CIG, Egosoft has actually produced and shipped games before.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

The one thing that stands out about the new jpeg (I agree it is cool looking and there was a time I probably would have melted some poo poo to get one) is the cockpit bubble thing. I swear to God I've seen that before, like exactly that cockpit. I just can't remember where for the life of me.

The cockpit to me looks like a rounded version of the Asp Explorer's cockpit (which reminds me a bit about the cockpit of the Prometheus, whoever was first):

of course the rest of the ship is totally different

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Beet Wagon posted:

same, I think its stolen from a submarine concept a while back.
I almost looks exactly like something I saw before.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dootman posted:

Unlike CIG, Egosoft has actually produced and shipped games before.

and they support them, Rebirth was a disaster when it launched but now it's a decent space game that probably shouldn't have been set in the X universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beet Wagon posted:

The one thing that stood out to me about the new Jgep is that the commercial for it is just completely focused on rubbing. In the past, concept ships have had roles, and advertising based on what you were going to do with that ship.
Now, it's just a commercial with some 3-d modeled people rubbing all over a 3-d modeled jpeg. It really tells me how much thought they've put into the ship and how it related to the game.

Very rubbable jpeg though, I'll give you that.