Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Me too, beep.

I hope there's some way to make multiple OCs. I've already got a bird in mind for the OC I want to play as, but I also want to try making a cat in a jumpsuit called Jones the Cat, an cheerful dog, some sort of 80s-themed OC, Mae Borowski, some general goof characters, and of course, my favorite OC, Hank the Chog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kirbysuperstar posted:

Post the Sonic cycle next, that's always a good one.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mikedawson posted:

Me too, beep.

I hope there's some way to make multiple OCs. I've already got a bird in mind for the OC I want to play as, but I also want to try making a cat in a jumpsuit called Jones the Cat, an cheerful dog, some sort of 80s-themed OC, Mae Borowski, some general goof characters, and of course, my favorite OC, Hank the Chog.

I want to make an entire Freedom Fighters force to indulge in the melodrama that will fill the void the Archie Sonic comic's demise left. At least until the IDW one gets up an running.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Colours does have a lot of 2D but it's definitely not classic-style.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope you can change the expressions and whatnot on the OC's at the very least. Rabbit looks bored out of it's loving mind in all the screens I've seen, wolf(?) looks bizarre and I just kinda hate birds you know what you can keep the birds the same

They kinda freak me out.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Call me a fun hater but you know I think I would rather play as Tails or Knuckles than OCs but whatever

Geostomp posted:

I want to make an entire Freedom Fighters force to indulge in the melodrama that will fill the void the Archie Sonic comic's demise left. At least until the IDW one gets up an running.

The IDW comic probably won't have the Freedom Fighters. That and when SatAM first came out, there wasn't a lot of Sonic characters or lore so they invented a bunch of stuff, but they kinda don't need 'em now.

You can probably make at least Antoine and Bunnie in Forces though because they have wolf\rabbit characters.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I arrestsalways feel like the camera was way too zoomed out in the 2d modem sonic and the 2d colors segments

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The 2D stuff in Colors is pretty bland.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

The 2D stuff in Colors is pretty bland.

The 2d stuff in generations ain't mind blowing either

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Zelder posted:

I arrestsalways feel like the camera was way too zoomed out in the 2d modem sonic and the 2d colors segments
Funnily enough, one of the biggest complaints I've seen about the classic Sonic games from non-Sonic fans has been how zoomed in the camera is given Sonic's speed.

It's not the only platformer series to get this kind of criticism, of course. Heck, from my own experience watching people play Jazz Jackrabbit, the camera in 1 feels too close but in 2 it feels too far out.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
One more day until Sonic Mania.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You can have whatever opinion of Colors, Generations, or Forces you want, but the notion it's gonna lead to some kind of coup at Sega where the Mania team ousts Sonic Team proper is patently ludicrous.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

You can have whatever opinion of Colors, Generations, or Forces you want, but the notion it's gonna lead to some kind of coup at Sega where the Mania team ousts Sonic Team proper is patently ludicrous.

Not only is it not going to happen, I dunno if a Whitehead \ Pagoda West 3D game would be that much better. Sure, it would be interesting to see their take.

The Taxman and Stealth are probably know how to make a good 2D Sonic game better than anyone else on earth, and that's because they've both spent over 20+ years of their lives meticulously studying those games with that sole purpose. So I guess what I'm saying is that these guys have an extremely specific set of skills, and that's for making a classic Sonic game. They don't really have any experience with 3D games, and they are so good at 2D ones that asking them to do that would be kind of a waste of their talents.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think anyone really thinks Taxman and co. would shift to making 3D games if all logic and plausibility flew out the window and they somehow ended up in charge, dude. They just think it would be Mania over and over again, forever.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Did they really lock the extras behind the blue ball levels? gently caress, I guess I can pretty much say with certainty I will never see them then because I have literally zero interest in grinding those things out.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Bad bosses: Stardust Speedway Zone 2 (The part where you have to knock guys into him) & Oil Ocean Zone 2

Every other boss ranges from fun to okay and short to beat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Bad bosses: Stardust Speedway Zone 2 (The part where you have to knock guys into him) & Oil Ocean Zone 2

So I realized halfway through that fight, if you spindash the robo-sonics when they are on the side of the screen they will hit him 100% of the time. Makes the fight soooo much less obnoxious.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

You can immediately knock them into him from center if you only tap the spindash once.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Not only is it not going to happen, I dunno if a Whitehead \ Pagoda West 3D game would be that much better. Sure, it would be interesting to see their take.

The Taxman and Stealth are probably know how to make a good 2D Sonic game better than anyone else on earth, and that's because they've both spent over 20+ years of their lives meticulously studying those games with that sole purpose. So I guess what I'm saying is that these guys have an extremely specific set of skills, and that's for making a classic Sonic game. They don't really have any experience with 3D games, and they are so good at 2D ones that asking them to do that would be kind of a waste of their talents.

If they ended up in charge of a 3D game they'd bring on the respective members of the fan game author community to work with them just like they did with Mania. Though having said that, they'd probably need to reel in the whole "aimlessly wide open spaces to run in for no particular reason" slant those fan games have leaned towards lately.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Golden Goat posted:

I had no problem with that fight because I have so much muscle memory built up from Sonic 2 on the Master System (which has one of those as the final boss) about knocking that guy around.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jacobus Spades posted:

If they ended up in charge of a 3D game they'd bring on the respective members of the fan game author community to work with them just like they did with Mania. Though having said that, they'd probably need to reel in the whole "aimlessly wide open spaces to run in for no particular reason" slant those fan games have leaned towards lately.

And the whole "flying out of a loop de loop you're running through because splines are the devil" problem

Also their whole approach making loops pointless to begin with because you can just run around them

And a ton of other issues those games ignore because apparently they didn't realize at the core, for all the talk people make about alternate paths, Sonic is ultimately linear and objective based.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sega really needs to just sit down for a while and make lots of experimental internal prototypes, I think. Spend a while not being afraid to try out different modes of gameplay and movement for sonic and throw them out and give something else a go until they've got something that's decent. Rather than just scheduling a game and diving right into it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

So I realized halfway through that fight, if you spindash the robo-sonics when they are on the side of the screen they will hit him 100% of the time. Makes the fight soooo much less obnoxious.

Not a Children posted:

You can immediately knock them into him from center if you only tap the spindash once.

You guys mean from when they spin on the ground I can hit them, right?

I couldn't figure out a pattern for what type of spin dash they'll do. It's spin dash, attack, slide, spin dash but which spin dash he'll do feels random.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

You guys mean from when they spin on the ground I can hit them, right?

I couldn't figure out a pattern for what type of spin dash they'll do. It's spin dash, attack, slide, spin dash but which spin dash he'll do feels random.

Yeah, when they spin on the ground if you spindash into them you'll bounce them. What I normally do is wait for them to go to one side, they'll normally punch and/or rocket boot to the otherside, then maybe punch again and spindash. If they've rocket booted once, they'll always spin-dash next. I haven't tried hitting them from the middle like the other guy suggested, but spin-dashing into them while they charge up on the sides works every time.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I can't think of any Sonic fan game creators or hackers I'd want working on a 3D game. Stuff like Sonic Utopia is neat but not what I want from a 3D Somic game. Translating the classics' momentum-based gameplay into 3D doesn't make for a good game. With Mania there was already the Retro Engine to work with, but there's nothing like that for the 3D games.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My biggest problem with Mania I think it's I wish there are standard ring+powerup+lives bonus stages to replace the blue spheres when you were done. I had did much fun with the 3 we got to play around in in s3&k, especially the electric orb one that used to scare me as a kid before I became a master at it :c00l:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Stardust speedway act 2 boss part 2:

Stand at one side, crouch

If they crouch, immediately spindash into them
If they don't crouch and they start to rev, spindash into them
If they don't crouch and they throw out their electro-boner, wait a second and then spindash into them

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zelder posted:

The 2d stuff in generations ain't mind blowing either

Agreed. Thankfully it had the Classic Sonic stages and those were the best thing since Sonic And Knuckles.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

To be loving honest, I don't know how you would make a 3D Sonic game work and be good. And people have been wrestling with that question since 1998.

Maybe a 3D Sonic game shouldn't be a platformer at all and instead should be a driving game or a Tony Hawk game or something

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Honestly I'm fine with them splitting the difference between Adventure and Colors.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The silver sonic part of the stardust speedway boss is literally the easiest thing in the whole game. Stand at one side of the screen, wait for it to start to spindash when it comes out, spindash into it. Sometimes it'll poke an arm at you instead, just jump on it.

That's it. That's all you have to do.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

To be loving honest, I don't know how you would make a 3D Sonic game work and be good. And people have been wrestling with that question since 1998.

Maybe a 3D Sonic game shouldn't be a platformer at all and instead should be a driving game or a Tony Hawk game or something

That's first thing has basically been what 3D Sonic has been since its inception. Why do you think stages began to resemble "hot wheels tracks in the sky?"

You can't just 1:1 translate the "speed and momentum let you do almost anything" to 3D because Sonic isn't about creating a sandbox, it's finding ways to reach a specific goal. When Sonic is flying everywhere, or can go anywhere, you lose that and speed based challenges become trivial. For however big or expansive the classic games were, or how many secrets or alternate paths there were, they were always focused on one direction: forward.

Sonic Freedom and Utopia miss this point entirely by making worlds too big and level design not being narrow enough.

In short, there's a reason why 3D Sonic's speed based gameplay became what it is today. Whether you agree the approach they took is the right way or not, but they didnt arrive at it without cause or reason.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 28, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gammatron 64 posted:

We keep coming back to this, and it's still not rocket science. Sonic Team just never knows what there doing. Make it a 3D platformer with momentum physics. Make the Sonic gameplay from Sonic Adventure except a lot better because we're not on Dreamcast anymore. Make good open-ended level design.

The idea that 3D Sonic just can't be done because Sega keeps loving it up is really stupid. Sega kept loving up 2D Sonic for years as well, big surprise turns out you actually can make a good 2D Sonic when you have a team with a focused vision that cares about doing it right.

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's first thing has basically been what 3D Sonic has been since its inception. Why do you think stages began to resemble "hot wheels tracks in the sky?"

You can't just 1:1 translate the "speed and momentum let you do almost anything" to 3D because Sonic isn't about creating a sandbox, it's finding ways to reach a specific goal. When Sonic is flying everywhere, or can go anywhere, you lose that and speed based challenges become trivial. For however big or expansive the classic games were, or how many secrets or alternate paths there were, they were always focused on one direction: forward.

Sonic Freedom and Utopia miss this point entirely by making worlds too big and level design not being narrow enough.

In short, there's a reason why 3D Sonic's speed based gameplay became what it is today. Whether you agree the approach they took is the right way or not, but they didnt arrive at it without cause or reason.

The only correct thing in this post is that Sonic Freedom and Utopia are way empty and aimless

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 28, 2017

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sonic And Knuckles.

It's spelt:

Sonic & Knuckles

Please be respectful here, thanks.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
you mean: Generations/Unleashed Day?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think there's room for Sonic Team to do whatever it is they're doing with the mainline 3D Sonics while Team Mania keeps releasing new 2D games. Why not, it's profitable for each and fans on either end of the spectrum are getting what they want.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Augus posted:

We keep coming back to this, and it's still not rocket science. Sonic Team just never knows what there doing. Make it a 3D platformer with momentum physics. Make the Sonic gameplay from Sonic Adventure except a lot better because we're not on Dreamcast anymore. Make good open-ended level design.

The idea that 3D Sonic just can't be done because Sega keeps loving it up is really stupid. Sega kept loving up 2D Sonic for years as well, big surprise turns out you actually can make a good 2D Sonic when you have a team with a focused vision that cares about doing it right.

"Open ended" in 3D means something a lot different in 3D than it does 2D. The sandbox-style that fan game approaches make towards Sonic is anathema to the very point of Sonic, and I have my doubts that he can slot into the same kind of "multi-objective exploration" as easily as Mario can. Sonic is about reaching the goal, and that becomes a problem when you can go every which direction. Momentum is also all well and good, but when Sonic can be shot off in any direction, how do you keep him from flying off the path? How do you keep him from shooting out of the loop-de-loop even if he has speed to get through it? That's why Sega developed a reliance on things like splines, and speed boosters, and narrower tracks; and in some cases, took them way too far to the point of automation, but the point is, these things didn't start out with that goal in mind.

2D Sonic can be open ended because it's able to make vertical levels that are more stacked on top of each other while keeping to a plane that encourages Sonic to move forward. In this way, classic Sonic is still primarily linear, because you're ultimately heading to one goal post - there are no alternative exits. The exploration is ultimately in service of creating a more varied run or a faster time. You can't do that quite the same way in a 3D environment.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 28, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Augus posted:

I think a big problem with Sonic games is that the devs just don't care and it shows. Most games from Sonic Team and Dimps look like there just isn't much love and care put into them, which would make sense because Sonic isn't very popular in Japan.

Mania works because it was made by people who love the old Sonic games and understand what made them good. I mean, that's why games like Mega Man 9 and Shovel Knight are good, because they're a labor of love and not just another paycheck.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh lord, the "they don't care or have passion" card. Because that's easy to quantify and apply to every 3D game universally.

Yeah, there are definitely 3D games where you can look at that and decide that's what was going on based on the final result, and a not small amount of them are clearly just shoved out to fill a release schedule. But there's been too many developers on each of them to apply that universally across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Hot take: Forces will be better than Mania