Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Which is why you target certain low-lying areas and particularly vulnerable citizens for evacuation. Like nursing homes in the lowest sections of the city, for example. The options were not all or none. This is a normal thing to do in hurricane country, and it's loving amazing to me that Houston didn't have a plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

facialimpediment posted:

Just a side note, there's actually a pretty good reason why Houston didn't have a mandatory evacuation: deaths in traffic during the Hurricane Rita evac.

https://twitter.com/stephgosk/status/901894638335864832

There are counterarguments about how they might not have taken the storm seriously and/or should've evacuated the flood-prone areas, but welp.

The counter arguement is that this was 12 years ago and not takin Rita as a lesson in unfucking your emergency response and evacuation plans was a bad idea.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

facialimpediment posted:

Just a side note, there's actually a pretty good reason why Houston didn't have a mandatory evacuation: deaths in traffic during the Hurricane Rita evac.

https://twitter.com/stephgosk/status/901894638335864832

There are counterarguments about how they might not have taken the storm seriously and/or should've evacuated the flood-prone areas, but welp.

That would have been a good reason to review and expand their evacuation protocol, not axe it as unworkable.

Edit: doh

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Kawasaki Nun posted:

That would have been a good reason to review and expand their evacuation protocol, not axe it as unworkable.

Edit: doh

Da fuk you talking 'bout, boy? That sounds like big gubbermint cawm-u-nism to me.

Or if you prefer to imagine a businessman, "but my tax cuts!"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
All solid points, I was earlier under the impression that it was a pure governmental failure to not order an evacuation, turns out it was more complicated (though maybe still dumb).

And the ACLU announced their client list attacking the transgender ban. Heavy on enlisted people with Afghanistan deployments.

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/902163608909565956

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

facialimpediment posted:

All solid points, I was earlier under the impression that it was a pure governmental failure to not order an evacuation, turns out it was more complicated (though maybe still dumb).

And the ACLU announced their client list attacking the transgender ban. Heavy on enlisted people with Afghanistan deployments.

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/902163608909565956

I saw at the PX that the Marine Corps Times cover story is "where have all of the combat vets gone".

Apparently Trump is trying to kick them out.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

It would make sense that, after you get to the point where you throw your hands up and admit that evacuations will no longer ever be feasible, you go balls to the wall in funding flood protection measures and emergency response so people can survive in place. I don't think much of that happened.

That or work your rear end off to upgrade infrastructure to make evacuations more feasible.

This probably went down the way Atlanta traffic loving locks down every day. 5-6 lane highways take you to the suburbs, then 3-4 lane highways take you past the sticks, then 2-3 lane highways take you through the wasteland to the next city. The channel gets smaller and smaller and it turns into unending gridlock all the way back into town. the interstate highway system was never intended to accommodate mass migrations. Evacuating Houston isn't feasible without major upgrades to I-10 to San Antonio and I-45 to Dallas, and then I-35 from Dallas to Oklahoma City... and probably upgrades to smaller surrounding cities. Evacuation zones would need to assign a destination for the residents living in it, and the state would need some kind of temporary housing solution, because all of those people can't just rent motels in Conroe.

It's a loving fire drill for a major American city and if it isn't managed properly people will get trampled running for the door. Whether the logistics are impossible to manage, is up to much smarter people than me, but until someone figures it out, you're 100% correct... they need to throw billions of dollars at flood relief/protection.

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah, it was pure government failure compounded by 12 year old pure government failure.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 28, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
there isnt even enough gas in the area to get a meaningful amount of people somewhere safe

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

I saw at the PX that the Marine Corps Times cover story is "where have all of the combat vets gone".

Are you saying every combat vet is a trans?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

there isnt even enough gas in the area to get a meaningful amount of people somewhere safe

Houston TX is like the worst possible example you could even imagine to try to prove that point.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Internet Wizard posted:

Who the gently caress wants to stay in these days besides Mustang to get some uh dat O3 pay or people near retirement?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

shame on an IGA posted:

Houston TX is like the worst possible example you could even imagine to try to prove that point.

Or just run diesel and just pump mainline crude and roll coal baby!

Also police might be getting .50s soon

https://twitter.com/samswey/status/902170347541340161

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
lol cops with grenade launchers. Can't wait for someone to get their car blown up with them inside for refusing a parking ticket.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Houston to San Antonio is 200 miles. Doesn't seem insurmountable in the least, particularly given you don't have to even go the entire distance to avoid being in an absolutely desperate situation

Edit: So are police officially occupying forces now? If not then why the gently caress do they need even half that poo poo?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hot Karl Marx posted:

gently caress yeah, nothing like an old Cobra to put a dent in the War on Drugs, amirite? No. No I'm not, and this has been a joke.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 28, 2017

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

lol cops with grenade launchers. Can't wait for someone to get their car blown up with them inside for refusing a parking ticket.

Saw one of those at the TSA checkpoints at Minneapolis years ago and I still wonder what situation would be improved with a grenade launcher there.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Chilichimp posted:

That or work your rear end off to upgrade infrastructure to make evacuations more feasible.

This probably went down the way Atlanta traffic loving locks down every day. 5-6 lane highways take you to the suburbs, then 3-4 lane highways take you past the sticks, then 2-3 lane highways take you through the wasteland to the next city. The channel gets smaller and smaller and it turns into unending gridlock all the way back into town. the interstate highway system was never intended to accommodate mass migrations. Evacuating Houston isn't feasible without major upgrades to I-10 to San Antonio and I-45 to Dallas, and then I-35 from Dallas to Oklahoma City... and probably upgrades to smaller surrounding cities. Evacuation zones would need to assign a destination for the residents living in it, and the state would need some kind of temporary housing solution, because all of those people can't just rent motels in Conroe.

It's a loving fire drill for a major American city and if it isn't managed properly people will get trampled running for the door. Whether the logistics are impossible to manage, is up to much smarter people than me, but until someone figures it out, you're 100% correct... they need to throw billions of dollars at flood relief/protection.

Yeah, it was pure government failure compounded by 12 year old pure government failure.

We have a mitigation available: busses. Lots of busses with priorities to get people out of the highest risk areas. To evacuate seniors who don't have cars and poor workers who don't have cars. To evacuate people from high rises that could wind up being inaccessible due to being surrounded by flood water.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Saw one of those at the TSA checkpoints at Minneapolis years ago and I still wonder what situation would be improved with a grenade launcher there.

40mm tear gas

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Yeah, NOW. That's why you start making announcements and talking about it before the loving storm hits. This was absolutely a workable problem.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/338978381636984832

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I like the (really cold) part. Just to make sure people know what temperatures are cold and which are hot

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

M_Gargantua posted:

We have a mitigation available: busses. Lots of busses with priorities to get people out of the highest risk areas. To evacuate seniors who don't have cars and poor workers who don't have cars. To evacuate people from high rises that could wind up being inaccessible due to being surrounded by flood water.
See also: trains.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Anyone who describes an above zero temperature as really cold is a weak bitch.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

shame on an IGA posted:

The irony of a once in a millennia weather event affecting an oil Town

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I like the (really cold) part. Just to make sure people know what temperatures are cold and which are hot

How dare the seasons continue even in the face of rising temperatures. Now where is that boiled frog I ordered?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Cugel the Clever posted:

Trains are indeed very cool and good

Houston has some of the worst mass transit in the country though

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

40mm tear gas

Yeah I forgot about "not enough screaming and panicking people" being a situation.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Texas learned nothing from Rita or Ike.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I for one am excited for Battlefield Hardline to become reality

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Grenade launcher at least have a somewhat plausible use, flares and tear gas.

Who the gently caress in law enforcement needs a .50 Barrett or a TOW? Or a M2 Bradley?

Do we really need the Kentucky State Police to have combat deployment capability?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Alabama state police purchase three new F-35s for traffic enforcement.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Nice try getting everyone on the train's to the FEMA death camps

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I feel like half this stuff is gonna get lost or end up on the black market or militias.

Feels very bad.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish I could say the surplus thing bothers me...But eh it was mostly just an optics action by the Obama Administration and this is the same just in reverse by and large.

Although I would say an MRAP seems actually useful for approaching a barricaded suspect or active shooter (and I feel it has been used properly in a bunch of situations).

BigDave posted:

Grenade launcher at least have a somewhat plausible use, flares and tear gas.

Who the gently caress in law enforcement needs a .50 Barrett or a TOW? Or a M2 Bradley?

Do we really need the Kentucky State Police to have combat deployment capability?

Barret is useful for engine blocks and was popular with departments even before you could get it free.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Blind Rasputin posted:

Alabama state police purchase three new F-35s for traffic enforcement.

Now I'm picturing A-10s doing gun runs on traffic jams.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Nah that's the new prohibited list. The next post is how big it used to be.

Also I didn't know you were trans, Cole

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Civvy question: How do they control an airspace full of helicopters from a bunch of different agencies and i assume hospital networks too when both airports are underwater?

It's kinda been answered, but my old unit in the Air guard was a mobile ATC unit with a mobile radar and ATC tower on the back of a humvee. I'm phone posting, but it's called the MSN-7 if you want pictures. The year I left, we did a joint exercise with the army aviation unit at our base that simulated a hurricane taking out bridges to some of the islands on the SC coast. We set up the radar and mobile tower and controlled the army blackhawks that were flying back and forth, "rescuing" people.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The Dallas shooter wouldn't have been a problem if they had CAS.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

https://youtu.be/lfH0qQsXXpw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Blind Rasputin posted:

If the shooter had CAS?

• Locked thread